Melancholy

Cactus Flower

The living room of Unit 202 Silla Apartment was filled with cold air, as one of it's occupant sat on the black canvas sofa, her head facing the television though she was not actually watching.

Next to her sat a young man, his hand placed on the young woman's arm.

The lad was handsome, carried an imperious nose well while his evident cheekbones carved down towards a flinty jaw.
"Hey. . . baby, look at me" he spoke softly.

"I'm sorry okay?" he continued although he was not getting any response from the opponent.
"I bought you a bunch of tangerine. It's from Jeju" his finger pointed at a red box placed on the coffee table before he stared at her, hoping that she would respond.
"So Eun, hey, baby, don't do this to me" His fingers reached her chin and proceed down her jaw that was marked with a relatively medium sized bluish-green spot.
"I wont do it again" he sighed.


Liar.

She yelled in her head.


"Do you think I would want to hurt you? It was unintentional, So Eun ah" his hand travelled down to her shoulder where he turned her body slightly so that she faced him. "If only you kept your mouth shut."he said. "I was just reminding you, not to wear such outfit."


It was a knee length skirt.

She was still yelling in her head.


"I was super concerned. Don't you know how dangerous this world is nowadays?" he continued. His fingers proceed to lighty brush her hair off her face.
"I love you, I just wanted you to be safe, baby. You understand that, right?" he frowned a little, while crinkling his nose, trying to appear as pitiful as he could.
"Forgive me, baby?"

Silence engulfed the room. His finger  the bruise on her jaw, as if it would dissappear from the continous caressing. 


"Hm" she made a tiny little noise to signal her approval. She surrendered. She could never win any argument with him, he's the king, he's the rule. Talking back to him even with facts and receipts will only bring her harm so she decided to just keep shut and move on with life.


"That's my baby" he instantaneously hugged So Eun, so tight that she almost ran out of breath.
"Did you cook? I'm starving" he asked, eyes purposely largened to gain sympathy.


"Yeah. Kimchi stew. I'll get them for you" she immediately shoot up from her seat and walked towards the kitchen. While preparing the table, she pondered on her strange emotion, in which she felt much more serene when her boyfriend, the oh-so-famous Song Jae Rim spent the nights out for his shooting. Sometimes she even wished that they will prolong the shooting, for that means freedom to her.


She always felt guilty for wishing for such situation to occur but she couldn't help it. Exhausted was an understatement to describe her condition. She was basically his wife, except that they never got married due to the other half saying he wasn't ready, and wanted to focus on his career. She understood, she honestly do, but the enervation has started to consume her. She could not thank him enough for taking her in after she was kicked out by her diabolic, greedy so-called-aunt from her own house and she knew that it would be outmost rude to ask for anything more but she was just a human, a tired and weak female being.


"Did you eat all the cheesecake I bought?"
SoEun heard his voice booming across the kitchen.
"Seriously? Kim So Eun? You kidding me? " he snapped while closing the refrigerator's door. "Are you a pig? How could you finish all that in one day?"

"I gave some of it to our neighbours" So Eun took a sharp deep breath, trying to calm her soul down. So Eun sometimes could not believe how stupid she was to fall for a man with such character.


Obviously, she was too young and naive when she met him during high school.

He was a basketball jock, she was a beautiful mess.

Their first meeting was still nailed in her memory bank, where Jae Rim's basket ball landed hard on her head when she was passing by the court, and all he said in response was a cold 'sorry' before continuing his tournament practice as if nothing had happened. Despite his unbefitting manner, the rather credulous So Eun immediately developed a crush on Jae Rim who was a year older than her. The 'bad boy' image he carried somehow was the biggest attraction that her in.


"Which neighbour?" Jae Rim was still at his question, turning So Eun's head from the kitchen's cabinet.


"Lee ahjumma" she almost snapped but swallowed her voice to avoid any further arguments.


"Ah. Okay" he nodded before taking a seat on the dining table. "Come and eat" he called.


So Eun 's heavy steps moved towards the pine wood dining table before she took a seat across her boyfriend.

She waited for him to start eating before she took a bite of the rice pancake that she made.


He was tired from those long hours of shooting.

She was tired of everything.

Both ate in silence.