001: Identity

Save Me

Our clan was the strongest among all the other demons in the realm. Demons of higher and lower class wanted to join our family. Among them are powerful ones, and most of them were welcomed except one. Miri, a powerful demoness felt insulted after my great grandfather ignored her request to join our clan. Well, believe it or not, the main reason she was rejected was because of her “diet”. She feeds on human flesh while we chase on mischievous demons. We don’t want to be involved with humans, they are the last thing we ever want to get in touch with.

 

Miri wondered why we don’t eat them when humans are the most terrible beings in the world. My grandfather said they were selfish and caused a lot of troubles. I wondered a lot too, but all the questions were answered when Miri used up most of her powers to open the portal to the human realm. We were able to go in and out but humans weren’t supposed to get inside. Most of our relatives fled, some were scared but my troublemaker Uncle went through the portal. To make matters worse, he fell in love with a human. That’s where my cousin Jin came into picture, his powers come and go but he looks human most of the times.  

 

“Hyung… let’s go.” Jungkook said and grabbed my suitcase. We were leaving today, for the thousandth time I couldn’t remember anymore. Ever since the portal was opened, our realm wasn’t safe anymore and we could be in danger.

 

We were able to get by as we live with the mortals. By using our good looks, physical strength and overflowing charisma.. we were able to live a decent life despite being a demon. We became what they called IDOLS.

 

My cousin Jin and I were scouted while watching a group of humans dancing to some alien like tune. They gave us a business card and said they needed visuals like us, I didn’t understand it at first but now I do. In this place and time, visuals are everything… and when you say visual?? My nephew Jungkook got 7 business cards… talk about good looks.

 

“Hyung… don’t you think being an idol was a bad idea? How could we leave now? Everyone who’s watching TV would probably recognize us.” As expected, our Jungkook is always reliable. It’s funny hearing him calling me hyung when I’m 200 years older than him.

 

“We’ll worry about it when the right time comes. Or maybe we won’t have to worry about it anymore.” I said and looked at them. Jin looked bewildered at the thought of it.

 


“Are you being serious? You don’t plan on becoming like them do you? You’ll have to starve yourself and you can’t go back to your true form in 3 months! Miri might be wandering around, and if she finds out your bead is getting weaker, she’ll take it as an opportunity to take down our clan.” Jin was getting paranoid as usual.

 

“You are the heir to grandfather’s bead hyung… please be reasonable.” Jungkook said. I understand their sentiments but if being human will make me live a more peaceful life then I’m willing to surrender all I have. I’m just so tired of running away, tired of lying and making up stories. Even our elders left us without a word. Everyone was afraid, what’s with these mortals? Are humans really that scary?

 

“I know… I’m sorry. I was careless… let’s worry about it when the time comes, but for now we have to keep ourselves invisible and safe until we find our brothers.” I told them so they could relax.

 

“Practice starts at 5… I’m off to hunt.” Jungkook said. Jin can go on days without hunting, he can survive with human food. Jungkook is the strongest and fastest among us, or maybe because he’s young. I haven’t told them I’ve been starving myself for 2 weeks already. Ever since I learned how to do groceries, I’ve been eating fresh meat, and I’d say beef really tastes good… especially when it’s cooked. But because cooking it takes so much time, I’d like to eat it as it is. Now, I don’t have to go to the forest to look for lowly demons and wild beasts to feed myself. I can just eat meat just like humans.

 

 

In the practice room…

 

“I say we perform Butterfly and I like it. It’s perfect for the weather… “  Jimin suggested.

“Right, but we should heat things up since it’s winter… so I suggest we sing Fire.” Suga said. Everyone were raising their opinions while me, Jin and Jungkook were just waiting patiently for the final result of this debate.

“Okay? Then blood sweat and tears and Butterfly it is.” Finally, our leader has decided. Namjoon usually listens to everyone’s opinions and we end up voting for it.

 

We proceeded with our practice and finished late at night. Tomorrow’s performance is a bit special since the proceeds of the event will go to children with cancer. I don’t know why but I like children, they are innocent, curious, but their smiles are contagious. We arrived at out dorm, I looked at the clock and it was almost 2 am. We live in the dorm with our members, we take extra careful when it comes to our sleeping habits, good thing the three of us were roommates.

 

My fluffy tail usually shows up when I’m having a good dream and split into 9 deadly ones when I’m having a nightmare. Jin and Jungkook could tell if I had a good sleep. We made sure to lock our doors no matter what the situation is.

 

  “Hyung.. wake up.. we gotta go… we still have rehearsals before the show.” Jungkook woke me up and I realized he was already pulling my tail. I hate it when he touches my tail, I tried to catch him but he was just too fast.

 

“Keke..you need more practice hyung.” He said with eyes half closed before he left the room. I hugged my fluffy tail one last time before transforming back to my V image. I went to the bathroom and washed my face when I noticed something.

 

“Sh*t.” I said to myself and…

 

“Hyung!!!!” Jungkook was shouting all the way to our bedroom.

 

“Will you keep your voice down?” I hushed him.

“I know! But…” he stopped when he realized the color of my eyes changed too.

“I guess Jin isn’t affected with this blood moon thing ehh? What are we gonna do? They’re going to notice!!” Jungkook was starting to panic.

“Relax… I knew this was going to happen, I just didn’t expect it to happen so soon.” I said and went to my closet to get something.

 

“Hyung! You’re a genius!!” he smiled and left again without a word. I have always kept these contact lenses for emergencies.

 

We arrived at the venue 2 hours earlier for the rehearsal and make up. I really don’t like getting exposed in the sun for too long, my tail is getting itchy and I want to let it out for a while.

 

“Okay, thank you… please go back to your dressing rooms.” The PD for the event said, we just finished rehearsals and we were given a few minutes break before make up.

 

I went to find an empty room because my tail has been itching as if it’s telling me to let him out. When it comes to tails, nobody beats mine, not even Jungkook.

 

Finally… I found a room filled with props and costumes and nobody’s around. Seems like everyone is busy. I took a deep breath and transformed to my true self. The real Kim TaeHyung. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, it’s nice to see my grey eyes, white hair and fluffy tail again. I kind of miss being myself lately. I have been starving myself with fresh meat lately but I don’t think I can go on days without going back to my true form. My tail would be itching, my nails would be breaking, my eyes would be burning… whoah, I could challenge Namjoon on a rap battle already. My rap skills are getting better. Nice…

 

 

“Huh? What are you doing here? Please return the costumes at once.” A short girl with oversized glasses entered the room. I was surprised but I couldn’t transform back in front of her. I thought I locked the door??

 

“Excuse me? Sir? Wow… you look like a natural in that costume but please return it at once.” She said politely, she was waiting for an answer but I was too dumbfounded to even talk.

 

“Uhhh….I…ah…” I stuttered. You need to find a way out of this TaeHyung. She was standing by the door waiting for me, I was thinking deeply of what to do and I failed to control my tail.

 

“Did your tail move? Just now? Like wooosh?” she asked me and was  about to take one step closer so I had to stop her before she realizes my tail is real.

 

“I’ll just take a selfie and go, can you give me some privacy please? I’ll return it properly I promise.” I said and closed my eyes hoping she would agree.

 

“Okay…I’ll give you 5 minutes then. I’ll be right outside.” She said and went outside right away. Good thing she didn’t notice it immediately. I transformed back into a human right after she closed the door. I looked at the mirror one last time before leaving the room.

 

“Oh? You done?” she asked, she was smiling. She wasn’t even scared when she saw me, which is a good thing by the way. But no… I guess it was just my luck that she failed to notice right away.

 

“Ahh yes, thank you.” I said to her, she smiled once again and went back inside. I sprinted already before she finds out the costume wasn’t there. She saw my tail… does that mean she’s? No.. she didn’t actually see my transform, and she thought it was just a costume. No… I better get myself ready.

 

 

The show was about to start and we were waiting for our time so we just stayed in our dressing room.

 

“V-ssi, you need to put these on.” Our stylist handed me a pair of blue contact lenses. I went to the bathroom right away and removed the brown ones I was wearing. My eyes were turning fiery red already, this is bad… demons might be everywhere tonight. I put on the blue lenses our stylist gave me.

 

“BTS..on standby” we were called already so we all went to the backstage. Jin, Jungkook and I were giving each other glances while waiting backstage. We could smell demons everywhere. I just hope… Jin could control his hunger until the event is over.

 

 

“Let’s all cheer for BTS!!!” the MC called and we heard our fans cheering. I did my best in this performance and prayed for it to be over as soon as possible.

 

After an intense 7 minute presentation… we exited the stage and went back to our dressing room. I was changing my shirt when I heard Jin and Jungkook calling for me.

 

I know this… this scent… is very familiar. I know this scent… but no, it can’t be…

 

I told Jin and Jk to calm down and contain themselves. I was planning to confess someone saw my tail but how could I when they’re already starting to make a fuss about Miri’s scent. I asked our manager if I could go leave a little late since I have something to do. Jin and Jk wanted to go with me but I told them they’d be safer if they stayed at the barracks. Good thing, we had no schedule for tomorrow they were allowed to go home, it’s dangerous to stay at the dorm.

It’s two hours before midnight and I must confirm if she’s really here. I changed into a more comfortable sweater and pants. I borrowed Suga’s hat and wore a mask and made my way out of the concert hall.

 

I was gathering all my senses, I could really tell she’s somewhere near. Well, I don’t think she’s just going to kill anybody… but I know she’ll lure them somewhere. Lowly demons are unusually aggressive and a lot hungrier during blood moon…even I get hungry at times like this,  I still can’t hold it even though it’s already my 8th blood moon.

 

“Hi… you need a ride home?” I heard a guy asked. They were a few meters away from where I was and I could smell that monster from here.

“No thanks.” The girl in a pink hoodie said.

“It’s dangerous for you to be alone tonight…” the guy insisted.

 

If it was me in my usual self, I would have just eaten that demon immediately and go away but since it’s blood moon, someone might get killed.

 

“No thanks…i…I’m actually waiting for someone.” The girl responded. She was keeping her head low and she was trying to break free from the guy’s grip.

 

“Didn’t I tell you to wait inside?” I called the girl’s attention and we were both surprised to each other. It was the girl from the dressing room. She looked shocked when she saw me, but I winked at her right away.

 

“Ohh.. oppa.. sorry, I didn’t know.” She awkwardly smiled at me.

“Why are you holding her hand like that?” I said and snatched her wrist right away but I suddenly felt this unusual chill beside me. Right there, I knew…

 

“You’re one of them!” The guy yelled and suddenly transformed into a demon. I was about to transform too but I felt two arms around my waist and suddenly I heard someone sobbing.

 

“Please help me. Please save me. Please…” She buried her face on my chest, she was holding me so tight I couldn’t move. I had no choice but to…

“Do you trust me?” I asked her.