An Alleyway In Taiwan

Home Is Where You Are

 

The streets of Taiwan are quiet at this time, sunlight filtering on the pavement and reflecting off of shop windows. Idle groups of students loiter in twos and threes, chatting quietly and snacking on sweets before their parents call them home. A tall, thin boy makes his way past them, walking briskly with his hands in his pockets and music playing in his ears.

Lai Kuanlin takes this route back to his apartment after school almost everyday. The streets are so familiar to him that he could draw a map of them from memory.

As he walks, his head bops up and down rhythmically; mouth soundlessly forming lyrics in time to the heavy beat pounding through his earphones.

An empty can rolls out of an alleyway and comes to a stop in front of the boy just as Kuanlin is about to launch into a new verse. Pausing, Kuanlin peers down the alley while pulling an earbud out with one hand.

There is nothing special about this particular alleyway. Quietly tucked away between a small bakery and a barbershop, the only notable thing about it is the small karaoke bar that Kuanlin knows is hidden there simply because he has explored every inch of this area.

He is about to continue walking when he hears odd shuffling noises followed by two metallic clangs. Unconsciously, his feet bring him further into the alley.

Kuanlin is half-expecting to find a curious street dog or pigeons fighting but instead he spots someone (something?) rifling through the trash bags. The figure stops abruptly and drops down into a squat in the middle of the alley, hunching over themselves.

Intrigued, Kuanlin walks in to investigate. The crunch of gravel beneath his shoes causes the figure to turn around with wide eyes, hands lifting up automatically to protect his head.

It’s a boy.

Or more accurately, a hybrid.

Now that the other is facing him properly, Kuanlin can see that the boy has two large, cat-like ears nestled amongst his blondish-brown hair and a short tail that hangs flat on the ground. His ears look almost too big for his head, and his hair is tawny and badly matted. The hybrid’s clothing is no better; what was probably once a white sweater is stained grey with noticeable rips in places, and Kuanlin notices that the boy’s jeans and sneakers are badly covered in dirt.

What he doesn’t notice is that from behind arms raised defensively in the air, a pair of inquisitive eyes stare back at him.

 

 

 

Hybrids are not exactly rare in society, especially in rich neighbourhoods such as the one Kuanlin grew up in. They are still uncommon however, and it is especially unusual to see one on its own like this.

Most hybrids are kept as pets or companions although there are a small percentage that are quite independent and can hold their own jobs. At his previous school, Kuanlin knows two students that were hybrids - a mouse and a fox - that were allowed to attend school by their masters.

Still, hybrids can only work in certain fields that they can be approved for, like retail or hospitality, and those hybrids are usually older and have outgrown the pet phase. This particular hybrid looks young like a kitten, not to mention the state of disarray it is in.

Most likely, this one was someone’s pet that was thrown out or ran away.

What a poor, pitiful, little thing.

 

 

 

Jihoon stares at the newcomer. It is a young boy, tall and waifish, with dark hair, dark eyes, and pale skin. Jihoon thinks he has seen the other boy a few times before in passing around the neighbourhood.

The longer the boy continues to stare a Jihoon, the more uneasy he becomes. Should he run? Is the kid going to tell him to get lost or kick him around for fun?

Seconds turn into minutes. A calm silence settles in the alleyway. It seems the boy simply wants to look at him. Perhaps he has never seen a hybrid like Jihoon before.

A girl’s laughter on the main street penetrates the silence from outside.

Just as Jihoon is about to make up his mind and leave, the boy turns around and walks out of the alley.

 

 

 

It’s been about ten minutes since the strange boy left and that Jihoon has spent rifling through the trash looking for something salvageable before the hybrid hears footsteps behind him again.

It is, unsurprisingly, the same lanky boy from earlier.

What is surprising is that he seems intent on approaching this time so Jihoon backs away. The boy has returned with a new addition, walking slowly and cradling a brown paper bag in his hands that Jihoon did not remember seeing earlier.

His face looks kind but Jihoon has learnt to be wary of kind faces.

The boy is much too close now so Jihoon scurries away to hide behind a concrete pillar. Peeking around it, his eyes trail the strange boy as he sets the paper bag down in the middle of the alley. He unfurls the edges of the bag, speaking softly in what Jihoon assumes is Taiwanese. From his hiding spot, Jihoon can see that the bag contains what appears to be a fresh-looking sandwich and a bottle of water. Sniffing the air, Jihoon picks up the scent of chicken and it makes his already ravenous stomach grumble in protest, demanding to be fed.

It feels like it has been so long since Jihoon has gotten his hands on a proper meal.

After setting down the food, the boy makes eye contact with Jihoon from behind the pillar and smiles. His smiling face changes his entire aura. It is a gummy smile that makes him appear younger and more innocent.

Satisfied with his actions, the boy stands up and walks back out towards the main street.

 

 

 

Kuanlin lingers at the mouth of the alleyway, watching the small hybrid eat. Once he has confirmed that the boy is not simply going to ignore the food, he turns to head home.

As he walks, Kuanlin finds that he cannot take his mind off the cat hybrid. The hybrid had looked dirty and rather small, like he could be an easy target to be picked on by delinquent kids, or gang members looking to turn some quick cash, catching and selling a hybrid. In fact, now that Kuanlin thinks about it, it is surprising that he has lasted that long on his own without being attacked. Those giant ears stick out like a neon sign that screams ‘I’m a hybrid without an owner!’

Kuanlin approaches his apartment block. The streetlamps start to turn on, it is beginning to get darker now.

It doesn’t seem like it would be easy for a boy like that to live on the streets.

He takes his phone out and checks the weather report.

90% chance of rain

 

 

 

Kuanlin makes up his mind and returns to the alley. He is relieved to find that the kitten hybrid is still there when he arrives. The other boy appears to have been trying to fashion something out of cardboard boxes and plastic wrapping.

He lifts up his head when Kuanlin walks towards him. The hybrid seems unafraid of him now and Kuanlin is glad that the other is not trying to run away from him this time.

Kuanlin squats down in front of him. Looking down at the items scattered around, he guesses that the boy was attempting to craft a temporary shelter for the night.

“It’s going to rain tonight and my house is nearby,” Kuanlin begins. He rubs his palms on his knees nervously. “Do you want to come home with me?” he asks.

The cat boy stares at him blankly but doesn’t respond.

Kuanlin clears his throat awkwardly and tries again, adding a smile that he hopes looks reassuring. “Come home with me?” He straightens up and offers a hand to the other.

The hybrid ignores the hand and stands up on his own. He remains unnervingly silent.

Perhaps it is too much to expect him to follow a stranger on a whim. Kuanlin sighs as he drops his hand. The cat hybrid looks up at him innocently.

It would probably be better to give up for now and try again another day, Kuanlin thinks.

 

 

 

Although, as Kuanlin turns to walk out of the alley, an extra set of footsteps follow quietly behind.