Le présent

Human
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Be careful in the company of monsters that you don't become one.”

 

Katana quickly walked through the woods, following a rough path. She knew what she was looking for, she knew the general direction of it, she just wasn’t sure exactly where it was.

She hoped she would find it soon, as the weight of the object she was carrying felt as if it were crushing her. Not that it was heavy in actual size. It was the weight of the burden and power that it carried that made it feel heavier than the sky.

She felt the power of it coursing through her, and it both strengthened her and terrified her. It felt like handling fire: when one is handling it, it gives him or her power. But at the same time, the fire could just as easily ignite the user.

Speaking of fire… Katana looked down and saw the object and her arm were glowing red. It was beginning to sting, sparks of pains crackling through her veins up her arm into the rest of her body.

Stop it, she commanded herself. Control it, don’t flinch now.

Finally, the trees ended, and Katana was instantly relieved at the sight of a large building, built in a strange but familiar style.

Quickly, she threw open the door, revealing a wide, open room, and was met with the sight of several adults, two men and a woman.

They appeared to be having a conversation with each other, but then turned to her. One of the men approached her, his eyes not on Katana’s face, but on her hand. “Katana?” he asked.

She nodded. “Yes.”

Finally, he looked her in the eyes. “I’m Trainer Jax,” he said, then gestured to his companions. “The angry guy there is Trainer Kaine, the lady is Trainer Jezebel.”

Katana was about to formally greet them, but Trainer Kaine already had his mind on more important things. Specifically, the object in Katana’s hand. “Is that it?” he snarled angrily.

She involuntarily gripped it tighter. “Yes, sir.”

The woman’s eyes lit up excitedly, and the men looked at each other.

Trainer Jax walked closer, keeping a polite distance away from the girl. He reached out his hand. “May I-”

“No,” Katana snapped, and before she realized it, she’d walked back several paces. Trainer Kaine snorted a laugh.

Trainer Jax drew his hand back. “Oh. Sorry. Would you like to…?” he trailed off, gesturing to a nearly empty and open display case near the wall.

She nodded, feeling slightly nervous, and approached the glass case.

Quickly, she ran her hands over the smooth glass, as if worried that the walls were false. She knelt to the ground, and with both hands shaking, held the object in front of her.

The sword was, simply put, a thing of beauty. The blade was so smooth it could be crystal, sharp enough to cut with just a light touch. The entire sword was dark, with some streaks of light red bringing out the prayer carved into the body in traditional writing style.

Of course, it was not the appearance that made the blade special. But it was an added bonus.

Katana took a deep breath, murmured a quick prayer, kissed the hilt of the sword, and placed it in t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter