Happy Things

Happy Things

 

Happy Things

Daehyun/Youngjae

 

 

3-year-old Youngjae squats in the corner of the classroom, quietly sobbing to himself by the pink kitchen set. It's the first day of nursery and class has ended. Youngjae has made lots of friends, but there's one boy he really likes. His name is Daehyun. He has tanned skin and a mole by his left eye. Daehyun is a little taller than him and they both love playing catching.

Even though Youngjae went through most of the day smoothly unlike the other children, no one knows why Youngjae is now crying. The teacher is cleaning up a boy with juice all over his shirt, so she can't tend to him now.

Youngjae continues hiding in the corner, sobbing softly into his hands. His mother says he's a big boy so he shouldn't cry when she's not here, but he can't help it.

Daehyun, his best friend of one day, is with his mother by the door. Daehyun tugs at his mother's shirt, excitedly trying to tell his mother about his new best friend Youngjae. However, his mother is busy talking to the teacher, so he pouts and wanders away to find Youngjae.

He notices a small figure facing the wall with a yellow shirt and brown pants. Daehyun happily patters over and yells, "Youngjae!"

Youngjae doesn't reply, still crouched facing the wall. Confused, Daehyun hugs Youngjae from behind and tries to pull him back so he can see what Youngjae is looking at in the corner.

Youngjae tumbles back with a whimper and pushes him away. He squats again and buries his face into his hands, hiccupping.

Daehyun widens his eyes and kneels down, peering at his best friend. "Youngjae! Why are you crying?" He presses his nose against Youngjae's hand, trying to see Youngjae's covered face.

"B-Because you're leaving! And I still want to play with you," Youngjae blubbers, shaking his head when Daehyun tries to pry his hands away from his face.

"Oh." Daehyun stops for a moment and his shoulders sink. "I still want to play with you too."

"But your Mama is here," Youngjae sniffles. Tired from squatting, he plops onto his and lets Daehyun pull away his hands.

"You should come back home with me! Then, we can always play together," Daehyun chirps. He wipes away Youngjae's tears and snot.

"I can't. I live at my house, not your house," Youngjae softly mumbles. He crosses his legs and Daehyun sits down as well, sadness crossing his features. He thinks for a long while.

"Then, you should live with me," Daehyun blurts. "We can play together forever."

"I can't go and live with you. It's not my house," Youngjae snivels, on the verge of crying once more.

Daehyun heaves, thinking harder. He lights up and chimes, "My Mama used to live at another house. But she and Papa live together now because they are married."

Youngjae tilts his head. Daehyun grabs the small boy's shoulders and announces loudly, "We should marry too, and you can live with me!"

"Oh, okay," Youngjae nods, feeling a lot happier. "How do we marry?"

"My Papa gave my Mama a ring. You put it on your finger. That's how you get married," Daehyun explains, getting up. "Quick, let's find a ring."

Youngjae nods and the two patter around the classroom, searching for a ring. Daehyun wanders over to the shelf and squints at the apple-shaped paper clips inside. He grabs one and hastily runs over to Youngjae, almost crashing into the boy.

"Youngjae! I found it! There's a lot of rings!"

Youngjae turns around and squeals, the two boys excitedly hugging each other. Daehyun takes Youngjae's hand and slides the paper clip onto Youngjae's index finger.

He cheers mirthfully. "We're married! So you live with me now!"

"Let's go home now. I have a lot of robots I want to show you." Daehyun grabs the smaller boy's hand, excitedly running to his mother to tell her the good news.

Now, it's Daehyun's turn to cry when he finds out getting married to Youngjae doesn't mean he can take Youngjae home forever.

"Next time, okay? When you two are older," Daehyun's mother comforts both of the crying boys.

Thankfully, Youngjae's mother arrives. The two mothers bring their sons out for a playdate at the park, pacifying both of their children. Daehyun and Youngjae play in the sandbox, Youngjae still wearing the apple-shaped paper clip on his finger.

"I'm sad that we can't live together," Youngjae says, suddenly plopping onto this side. He sullenly lies on the ground, lips scrunched up into a cute pout. Daehyun goes over and lies beside him.

"Me too." The two boys stare up at the wide sky, watching the clouds drift by.

"Mama says we can only live together when we're eighteen. Is that a long time?" Daehyun asks.

Youngjae purses his lips in thought. "I think so." He tries to count the number on his hand and struggles, running out of fingers. Youngjae puffs sadly at the realisation.

Daehyun takes Youngjae's hand and tightly interlocks their fingers. "Since we're married now, when we are eighteen, we can live together straight away."

"Mm." Youngjae turns over to face Daehyun and Daehyun does the same, both boys squirming nearer to hug each other. Their mothers watch from a distance, laughing softly to themselves.