One Reason Only

Rhapsody in Scarlet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was pitch dark in the room when Jisoo awoke to the sound of footsteps and clamoring in another room. She pulled the sleep mask from her tired eyes. The thin cot did nothing to cushion her body against the hard floor, and she ached as she sat up slowly. Beside her, her father was still snoozing away. In the window above their heads, she could see that the sky was still black. 

 

There was a knock at the door, and she stood to answer it. Leading paleoanthropologist Park Jinyoung stood in the doorway, looking bright-eyed and fresh despite the hour. In contrast, Jisoo still had bedhead and her eyes were still partially crusted shut. 

 

“What the hell is going on out here?” Jisoo said, sticking her head out the door. She saw some of the other staff already dressed and heading toward the kitchens. “What time is it?”

 

“It’s 4 am,” answered Park Jinyoung. “We’re leaving in half an hour.”

 

“Hold on, what?” Jisoo said. “Half an hour? Four in the morning? The sun isn’t even out yet, how are we supposed to see where we’re going?”

 

His expression remained neutral. “Flashlights are a very useful modern tool,” he said. “And unless you want to be out during the hottest part of the day, I suggest you be ready to leave here in half an hour. We won’t be back for another week at least, so maybe you should actually pack appropriately this time.”

 

Jisoo was so groggy she couldn’t even muster the energy to be annoyed at him. 

 

“Half an hour!” he shouted as he disappeared down the hall. Jisoo spotted Bambam and Yugyeom loading supplies back into the truck. It looked like they were packing enough to set up a small encampment wherever they were going. Jisoo didn’t understand. She thought they were going to be digging here.

 

“Appa!” Jisoo said, closing the door again. “Time to wake up, Mr. Park said we’re leaving in half an hour.”

 

Which was not nearly enough time to shower, get dressed, get packed, have breakfast, and do her morning yoga routine. When her father was up, Jisoo went over to her suitcase in search of something suitable to wear. She was anticipating another humid day, so something that breathed easily but would also protect her from the sun. 

 

“Are we heading out already?” her father asked, rubbing his eyes. “Oh, goody, I was getting bored just sitting around here. What an adventure this will be, Chichu. You excited?”

 

“I have nothing to wear,” Jisoo said, rummaging through her pack. She had brought a few casual pieces, but even her casual wear was too expensive and delicate to wear to an excavation. She’d ruin the material with her sweat or all the fabric would suffocate her in the sun. Her father had changed into his clothing while Jisoo was turned away. Unlike her, he had been prepared. 

 

Jisoo turned and examined her father’s clothing for a minute. “Appa, do you think I could borrow one of your shirts?” she asked.

 

“My shirts?” he said. “Oh, Chichu, my things wouldn’t fit you properly, you’re much smaller than I am. Didn’t you bring anything to wear?”

 

“I did,” Jisoo said. “But I brought a lot of loungewear and some other pieces that wouldn’t do well out here.”

 

“Well, stay here, I’ll go see if maybe Jinyoung can lend you something. He’s quite slim.”

 

“What?” Jisoo said as her father was reaching for the door. “Appa, no! Don’t! You’re just going to annoy him, don’t ask—!”

 

But her father had already slipped out into the hall and was yelling for Park Jinyoung. Jisoo curled in on herself and hid her face in her hands. She could already see the look of irritation on Park Jinyoung’s face when her father asked him for a shirt his daughter could wear. After another minute or two, her father returned, smiling.

 

“He says he’ll check his pack, but he’s sure he can lend you something,” her father said. “Chu? What’s wrong?”

 

Jisoo was still sitting with her face buried in her hands, sighing. After another minute, there was another knock at the door, and Jinyoung was standing there again, holding a gray shirt. Jisoo tried not to make eye contact.

 

“You needed a shirt?” he said, handing it over to Mr. Kim, who took it graciously.

 

“Ah, yes, my daughter did,” said Mr. Kim. “Perfect! This’ll do nicely!”

 

Jisoo’s father closed the door again and then handed the shirt over to her. She received it begrudgingly. 

 

“I’m going to join the others in the dining room, Chu,” said her father. “Bring your things and join us when you’re ready. But hurry! We have twenty minutes left!”

 

She unfolded the shirt and held it out at an arm’s length. It was heather gray, light and somewhat fitted with a crew neckline and a faded university logo over the . It smelled like pine and the cold, which she supposed wasn’t altogether a terrible scent. But still. Jisoo had made up her mind last night to have nothing to do with that arrogant prick, and wearing his clothes is the exact opposite of that resolution. Jisoo spent another ten minutes deliberating. 

 

To wear or not to wear the shirt, that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter