Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping Beauty - Optional Bias

The brass key slid into the worn and weathered door handle, twisting the knob slightly, the door opened with a slight push as the warmth from inside brushed across your cold kissed face. Stepping inside, you slid off your shoes while you closed the door behind you. Socks shuffled across the hardwood floor while you made your way around the small two bedroom house that you happily called home. Rounding the corner, you entered into your shared bedroom, placing your backpack against the shared desk, you picked out one of your favorite shirts that technically belongs to your husband before you coupled it with a pair of running shorts.

Changing out of your street clothes and into the relaxing clothes, the hem of his shirt completely covered your running shorts as the fabric moved with you while you exited out of your bedroom and entered into your living room. Starting up the TV, you started a show on Netflix convincing yourself that you could have a little break from life and watch an episode or two before starting your homework. Settling down amongst the cushions, your show started as the episode began with a recap of the previous episodes before starting in on the new adventure.

Your posture morphed from sitting upright to sitting cross legged on the cushions and then leaning against the armrest as the show continued along the plotline.

A soft yellow glow highlighted the windows as he climbed up the few steps to the front door. Twisting the unlocked door, he was greeted with the tv resting on various shows suggested for watching. Scanning the area, his eyes widened slightly wondering where you could be at. Straining his hearing slightly, trying to hear you tapping your pen against your notebook or your soft singing along to your favorite songs; yet there was nothing.

Following your tracks, he entered into the shared master bedroom, placing his backpack next to yours he exited the room and turned the corner just to stop midstep. Finding you fast asleep amongst the couch cushions, your arms folded together while your hands held a pillow underneath your head. Your legs curled against you as your steady and even breaths lifted your shoulders slightly.

Padding over to you, he carefully leaned over while the tips of his fingers brushed your less-than-perfect hair away from your face. His thumb slowly smoothing your hair along your temple as you inhaled a deeper breath with a soft hum spilling from your lips. Lowering his stance, he leaned in, pressing his lips against your forehead as for that second he closed his as he kissed you.

“My sleeping beauty…” He whispered once his lips parted from your forehead. A brighter smile curled on his lips, noticing his shirt encasing you with a little hint of color peeking out from under the bottom hem of his shirt.

Standing up slowly, he retracted his touch from you just to head back to the master bedroom, having an idea.

Pulling a black and red plaid blanket off of the navy blue sheets. The white underside tangled with the color while he bundled it up in his arms and carried it back out to the living room. With you still sleeping soundly, he spread out the blanket and laid it overtop of you. Making sure not to cover your face, he leaned down and pressed another kiss on your forehead.

Seeing the blanket that you gifted him the first christmas you two were together and with your figure cloaked from the comfy blanket, he couldn’t be happier knowing that you were his. Knowing your backstory, how much you have overcome and the memories that you have shared together. A deep sense of friendship and love began to fill his heart while he looked upon your peacefully sleeping form.

“How did I ever get so lucky to fall in love with the woman of my dreams…” He chuckled softly, his finger tips playing with the ends of your hair taking in the moment as a smile curled on your lips while leaning into his warmth.