Two

Imbroglio

 

Wow, I actually updated a story. Cheers. I will admit that this chapter is quite slow, but it's intentional. Hope no one gets too bored; I promise meatier stuff by the next chapter. 

 

--

 

Tiffany smiled from beneath her mask as she entered the restaurant. Removing it, she called out to a brunette at the bar. "Jessi!"

 

       Said girl her stool as the taller woman took the seat beside her. Tiffany peeled off her coat, spreading it across her lap. Jessica bemusedly glanced at the purse and mask her friend had spread across the bar.

 

She traced the edge of a butterfly sticker on the blue plastic. "Your romance with pink prevails, I see."

 

The woman laughed, grabbing the mask away and stuffing it into her purse.

 

"Some things never change." She waved over the bartender, firing off an order in Korean before switching back to English, "I hope you don't mind. I know what's good here."

 

       Jessica shook her head with a small smile as she looked around. The ceiling was low, the dim lighting a mere glow. Red walls stretched around them, complimenting the black bar. Just enough chatter for comfort sounded through the small establishment.

 

"I'm surprised you chose somewhere so homey."

 

"Don't get me wrong, I love glam and glitz. But if we went somewhere big, we'd have to get a private room. I want to enjoy this ambience with you. Not deal with nervous wait staff and paparazzi following you to the restroom."

 

"That's sweet, Tiff. I can't imagine handling idol life at all; you guys have it rough."

 

"Well, you already have idol looks down pat. The charisma, too."

 

The bartender placed two drinks in front of them with a clink.

 

She took a sip of her cocktail with a nod of thanks. "Nah. I'll leave it to Soojung."

 

Tiffany sighed, voice breathy with nostalgia and a touch of pride. "Your sister is growing up really fast, Jess."

 

Jessica glided a finger along the rim of her glass. "I know…I feel bad that I can't be here often enough for her. At least you're always here to look out for her." 

 

"Nothing beats a real sister, Jess. She adores you. Besides, you're here now."

 

"Indefinitely, yes."

 

The other girl remained silent at that. Indefinitely. Sympathy bloomed in her chest and tinged her lips with words that nearly spilled out in condolences and advice- but she thought better of it. 

 

A waiter set down two steaming bowls and a slim plate on the bar from behind the two women.

 

"Thank you," they chimed together, breaking the bloated pause.

 

Jessica swirled her chopsticks through her bowl as Tiffany plucked a piece of chicken katsu from their shared plate.

 

"How are your brother and sister?"

 

Tiffany chewed her food slowly, washing it down with a sip of her drink before answering.

 

"Well, you know how things are over there right now. The house is gone." She paused to swipe at a ring of moisture left on the bar with her thumb before continuing, "I moved them all out here about a month ago. I love them, but it's been so long since I lived with them that I forgot what that dynamic's like."

 

Jessica furrowed her brows in confusion as she asked, "I thought you lived with your group?"

 

Tiffany chuckled. "You're really not a k-pop fan, are you?"

 

Jessica grinned sheepishly. "I'm pretty much just a MeU. But I have listened to Girls' Generation, I swear!"

 

"You better have," joked Tiffany.

 

"I don't live under a rock, I know you guys are number one."

 

"Oh, really? Where's our sponsorship, CEO-nim?"

 

Jessica snorted, "Oh, please. Buy my designs if you want them that bad. Now, why don't you live in the dorm anymore? You don't have to say if you don't want to."

 

Tiffany waved her off. "Nothing bad. Just some stuff with the company."

 

Jessica decided not to press any further.

 

As the night progressed, the two friends reminisced about Jessica's last visit to Seoul and their days in school together. Tiffany paid the bill, catching Jessica's wrist when she reached for it because she had no say in paying.

 

"At least let me treat you to a glass of wine at my place, then?"

 

Tiffany reached into her bag for her scarf and surgical mask. She slunk the woolen piece around her neck and playfully snapped the rubber bands of her mask, gesturing for the other girl to put her own on.

 

"You're on, missy."

 

--

 

"You're joking."

 

"What?" Jessica met Tiffany in the middle of the parking garage, question tailing the beep of her rental car clicking closed.

 

Tiffany laughed. "Do you know any of your neighbors?"

 

"Just one, why?"

 

"Nothing."

       

       Tiffany grabbed Jessica's hand and dragged her to the elevator, jabbing the up button excitedly. The doors opened, and the black-haired girl rushed her companion in. The older shot her a look, but stayed quiet, merely tapping the button for her floor. Her guest grinned as she watched over her shoulder. After the short ride, the smiling girl practically hopped over the gap between the lift, exclaiming, "Me too."

 

Jessica arched a brow as she watched Tiffany stride down the hall, calling after her, "Do you know where you're going?"

 

"Hm," Tiffany waved a hand in the air without looking back. Jessica rolled her eyes, warily observing her friend proceed to the unit beside hers and knock loudly on the door.

 

Her eyes widened as she jogged to catch up to the other woman, stopping just short of her neighbor's door.

 

"Yah, what the hell are you doing?"

 

"I don't know what you're talking about," chirped the other woman.

 

After a beat, the door swung open, revealing Yuri clad in a black tank top and sweats.

 

"Fany!"

 

"Yuri-ah!"

 

What? Jessica looked on confusedly as her neighbor stepped out of the doorway to wrap her high school friend in a hug.

 

"What are you doing here, Fany-ah?"

 

When the pair let go of each other, Tiffany tugged the crook of Yuri's arm to turn her to face Jessica.

 

"Nightcap with your new neighbor. I'm sure you two have already met?"

 

"Hi, Jessica," Yuri smiled widely despite looking as if she was about to go to sleep. After a second, she furrowed her brows in confusion, gesturing between the two shorter women, "-you two know each other?"

 

"I went to Korea Kent," offered Jessica. 

 

Yuri leaned up against the doorframe with a playful glint in her eyes.

 

"Thought we always had an understanding that you would introduce me to your pretty friends, Fany!"

 

"What can I say? Jessi is too pretty for you," she stepped over to stand beside said brunette.

 

"No kidding. Her face would look a lot better in our promotional photos than yours."

 

"I'm hurt."

 

"Oh…" Jessica muttered.

 

"What's that?" Yuri asked.

 

"You guys," she pointed between them, "-are in the same group. That's why you seemed so familiar."

 

"Finally cracked the case, I see! Girls' Generation's Kwon Yuri, at your service,"  the girl tipped an imaginary hat and made the vaguest attempt at a curtsey.

 

"I feel so stupid. How can I call myself a Korean if I can't even recognize a Girls' Generation member?" Jessica groaned, "You could have just told me."

 

"What, so you could tell everyone you're friends with the Kwon Yuri?" teased the taller woman.

 

"No! Argh," Jessica ran a hand through her hair in frustration.

 

"Let me crash your nightcap and all is forgiven," Yuri threw a wink to the exasperated woman.

 

Tiffany smiled, clapping her hands together. "I love bourbon-bonding."

 

"I offered you wine," Jessica deadpanned.

 

"I'll bring the bourbon," offered Yuri.

 

Tiffany squealed, "Bourbonding!"

 

--

 

Taeyeon stepped through the door to the studio, sneaking up on the woman at the head of the table.

 

"Boo."

 

Unfazed, the short-haired girl spun around to face her friend.

 

"Hey, you're early! You do realize I still have my midnight idol beat to cover?"

 

Taeyeon shrugged,

 

"I can wait. I was getting lonely at the dorm."

 

Sunny pursed her lips in concern before she said, "Well, I guess you can join today's spot. I can brag to the listeners that the house fairy left her tower just to pick up little-old-me. Plus, The f(x) girls are coming in, I'm sure they'll be happy to see you."

 

Taeyeon grinned and slid into a seat as if she had been waiting for the invitation.

 

"You sure about that? I'm quite the DJ. Might even give you a run for your money, Sunshine."

 

Sunny watched bemusedly as Taeyeon turned in her seat to shoot a jaunty peace sign at a camera in the corner.

 

"Remind me again whose show is still on air and whose isn't?" she teased. She snatched a red pen off the table and placed her script between her and the other girl, thoughtfully yet quickly adding in a few notes and making some slashes here and there, "This is the best I can do on such short notice, but here's a rough script. We'll get you some much-needed airtime yet, my dorm hermit."

 

"Thanks," Taeyeon smiled. In the edge of her vision she spied movement outside the studio door.

 

Three girls filed in, bundled in coats and scarves. Light bows and smiles spilled across the room. As the commercials faded to nothing, Taeyeon watched Sunny straighten in her seat.

 

"Good evening! Welcome back to Sunny's FM Date. For tonight's Idol Beat, we have guests who I am personally very close to in the studio!"

 

"Hello, we are f(x)!"

 

"Hello! We also have a surprise guest in the studio here with us. Honestly, this person doesn't get out much, so I think we are all quite surprised!"

 

Laughs proceeded all around.

 

"Hello, this is Girls' Generation's Taeyeon."

 

"So nice of you to come visit, Taeyeon. Do you have something to tell me?"

 

"No, not you- I can just talk to you at home," Taeyeon glanced at the script as the others laughed, "-let's talk about f(x)! It has been a while since your last comeback, but you are all very busy with individual activities. Victoria couldn't join us today because she is filming her drama in China. Amber and Luna have just released a special collaboration music video. And then Krystal… you have been a #1 search topic on Naver this week, congratulations!"

 

Sunny cut in, "It says here that people were interested in your chic airport fashion. You're known as a style icon amongst female idols for your girl crush look- what's your secret?"

 

The younger girl laughed, "I don't think I have one though?"

 

Amber piped up, "Krystal's unnie is actually very stylish."

 

"Ah, yes- your sister is a designer, right? For a relatively new label, her brand is quite popular both in Asia and America- you must be very proud."

 

"Yes…"

 

Taeyeon egged her on, "This is a chance to promote!"

 

"Ah, I'm embarrassed!" Krystal laughed uncomfortably before steadying herself to speak into her microphone, "Blanc & Eclare is a modern twist on classic fashion.The clothes are really comfortable, but sunglasses are their signature product, so I like to wear them to the airport. I guess that's where the searches came from."

 

Luna nodded, "All of us wear Blanc & Eclare."

 

Sunny pouted, "Taeyeon, you have a sister. Why can't she make cool clothes for us to wear?"

 

"It may have to do with the fact that she's seventeen, but I'll get back to you on that."

 

After the hour was up, the group of women tiredly but happily left the studio, chatting as they made their way to the parking garage. Managers hung behind them, warily observing from a distance.

 

"I didn't know your sister was such a successful designer, Krystal."

 

Sunny quipped, "If you left the dorm and hung out with her, maybe you'd know that, Taeng."

 

"It's okay." Krystal shrugged. "Honestly, unnie mostly keeps to herself, too. It's a wonder that she gets along with Tiffany-unnie so well."

 

"Wait," muttered Taeyeon under her breath. She looked to Sunny, who arched a brow at her. She whispered in an aside, "Tiffany who? Our Tiffany-Tiffany?"

 

--

 

Jessica cracked open an eye heavy with sleep only to yelp in surprise.

 

"Good morning, Jessi!"

 

The brunette bolted up with her back rigid against the headboard. "Christ, Tiff. Don't watch people while they're sleeping, it's creepy."

 

Tiffany rose from where she laid on her side, grabbing a pillow to cradle against her chest. "I thought you were never gonna wake up,"

 

"It's only-" Jessica glanced at the wall clock, "-ten o'clock."

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes and swung her legs over the side of the bed. "Exactly! Up, up, up, I have places to be!"

 

Jessica merely groaned, "But I don't."

 

"You really think you're gonna get me plastered and not make me breakfast the next day?"

 

"You're not even hungover, you alcoholic. And it was Yuri's alcohol, get her to make your damn breakfast."

 

"Ah," Tiffany wagged a finger at her and tapped the girl's nose, "-but I'm in your house."

 

Jessica swatted the bubbly girl's hand away. "I don't have enough rest in me to argue with you," she grumbled.

 

The other girl didn't hesitate in dragging her to the kitchen. "It's your fault for telling me to sleep over, you know."

 

"As if I'd let your drunk take a cab home alone that late."

 

Tiffany swung open the fridge door as Jessica lugged herself onto a kitchen stool at the bar. She comically stuck her head into the fridge and tossed a comeback over her shoulder.

 

"Could've stayed at Yuri's, smart one." She slammed the fridge shut. "Jessica Jung. Have you, this whole time, been surviving on a loaf of cranberry bread and a bottle of wine?"

 

Jessica jumped off her stool and hustled to open the cupboard, standing on the tips of her toes to grab a beige box. She rattled the contents boredly and slammed it to the granite counter.

 

"Breakfast."

 

Tiffany snatched up the box and scoffed, "Granola? Are you on a diet or something?"

 

"No, but maybe this would be a good time for you to start."

 

The taller girl ushered her friend out of the kitchen with a pat on the behind, "I'll pretend you didn't say that. Shower. Now. We're going out for breakfast."

 

--

 

       The car skimmed the edge of a murky puddle as Jessica pulled away from the parking meter. Glancing at the sky in her rearview mirror, she took note of the tiny beams of sunlight peeking through the ashy shroud of angry clouds like needles in a haystack. It wasn't the most enticing sight, but it was still the best day she had seen since her arrival a week prior- perhaps it was good that Tiffany had forced her into an outing, after all. The younger girl sat beside her with a paper bag in her lap. A croissant for Michelle, she had said. Jessica grinned at the thought, as she could see the girl trying and failing to conceal herself eating tiny pieces of the confection in the corner of her vision; flecks of chocolate dotting her pale fingers.

 

       Uneager to part ways, the designer felt a slight swell of sadness as she pulled up to Tiffany's house a short drive later. It stood stately and tall on the hill, overlooking the quiet street. The neighborhood was vastly different from her own new neighborhood with its family homes and lack of towering apartment buildings. It felt tranquil, and more charming than Gangnam. For a moment, she thought of America; all suburbia and lush lawns. Signs saying drive like your kids live here. Then, she realized that the yards spanning the avenue were all yellowed and withering to death. The weak sputter of a sprinkler somewhere along the street echoed with a reminder that America was, in reality, no greener than anything before her; not anymore.

 

Tiffany leaned over the center console, engulfing the driver in a hug.

 

"Thank you for everything, Jessi."

 

"Don't act like you're never going to see me again." Jessica lightly tousled the other's hair. 

 

"Ciao, love." Tiffany smiled and grabbed her paper bag, her other hand pulling on the door handle.

 

"Leave it."

 

"Hm?" The raven-haired girl looked at her quizzically.

 

"Steph. You and I both know it's empty," she chuckled. 

 

Caught red-handed, the woman smiled bashfully and crumpled the brown paper in a fist. "I can throw it away inside."

 

"And have your brother and sister see and rag on you for not bringing them anything?"

 

"Well, aren't you sharp?"

 

"I always am," Jessica triumphantly exclaimed as the other girl packed the scrunched paper into a cup holder with manicured fingertips.

 

"When you're not half-asleep." 

 

"When I'm not half-asleep." Jessica nodded solemnly before smiling brightly. 

 

       Tiffany smiled at the older girl one last time before stepping out onto the pavement. Making her way up the drive to the door, she waved as Jessica drove away.  Shoving her key into the locked door, she stumbled when it gave away easily. She was met with her smiling father.

 

"Heard you coming, Stephie."

 

She would never get used to having someone opening her own door for her.

 

"Hi, Dad."

 

The woman stepped into the foyer, ridding herself of her scarf and jacket.

 

"Did you know you have a guest?" asked her father.

 

"What?"

 

He pointed through to the sitting room from where she could hear faint laughter and gave her a pat on the shoulder. "Have a good time. I'm going to try and get a little work done."

 

"Uh, sure, Daddy." Tiffany curiously made her way into the sitting room as her father jogged upstairs with no explanation.

 

Two pairs of eyes acknowledged her entrance- there were her sister and bandmate on the couch, legs comfortably folded beneath them on the cushions and steaming mugs in hand.

 

"Good morning, Fany-ah. The place looks great."

 

"Hi, Taeyeon…" Tiffany glanced at her sister, "…Unnie."

 

Michelle waved. "Hey, Steph. Guess I'm no longer needed here," she rose and squeezed Taeyeon's shoulder affectionately, "-It was lovely talking to you, Taeyeon."

 

The petite girl placed her mug on the coffee table and smiled up at the departing woman. "You too, unnie."

 

When Michelle's back retreated out of sight, Tiffany crossed to sit on the couch beside Taeyeon.

 

"What are you doing here, TaeTae? You could've called, I wouldn't have left you waiting."

 

Taeyeon picked at a nail before lightly skating her mug across the glass table with the back of her hand.

 

"Coffee?"

 

"Already had some. Not that I don't like having you here, but answer the question, please?"

 

Taeyeon froze, fingers curling at her thighs; knuckles scraping against the fabric of her jeans.

 

Finally, she said weakly, "It's stupid."

 

"I'll be the judge of that. What's up, babe?"

 

"I just…"

 

"C'mon, spit it out."

 

"Howdoyouknowkrystal'ssister?"

 

"Woah, woah, slow down. Come again?"

 

Taeyeon sighed, "How do you know Krystal Jung's sister?"

 

The other girl cocked her head in innocent confusion. "Huh? Jessica? We went to the international school together, why? I didn't even realize you were aware of her existence."

 

"That's the problem!"

 

"I'm not a mind-reader, Tae. You're gonna have to give me more than that."

 

"Ugh," Taeyeon groaned, "It's just…" She her dry lips in a pause. "If you went to school together, then you've known this girl for like, fourteen years. I've known you as long. We lived together, for crying out loud! Yet I've never heard you talk about her; never met her. I had to nod along and pretend I knew what Krystal was talking  about when she said you guys are close just to keep myself from looking foolish."

 

"Jessica isn't an idol, and she just moved here again after being in America. Her visits were few and far between. The fact that she's Krystal's sister is a reach at best for a reason for you to know her. You know that you guys aren't close."

 

Taeyeon remained silent.

 

"She's not some kind of secret, Taeyeon. It just never came up," Tiffany explained softly despite her inability to understand the issue, seeing the frustration mold Taeyeon's face.

 

"I know! I know, okay? It just made me feel icky when I realized you've known her this whole time and I had no clue. We're- we're best friends, aren't we? Fany? Don't best friends know each other's friends?" 

 

       Tiffany couldn't conceal a small chuckle at her leader's outburst. She leaned in close to the other girl and mounted two thumbs on the older girl's forehead, mercilessly folded with exasperation. Taeyeon flinched and raised her shoulders at the sudden contact, settling down as the other girl proceeded to gently smooth the creases out of her skin between her eyebrows.

 

"Don't laugh at me right now," croaked the small girl under the gentle touch of her bandmate.

 

"Kim Taeyeon. Paranoia is not a good look on you." Tiffany patted her cheek and brought her hands back to her sides. "Of course you're my best friend."

 

"Don't patronize me," Taeyeon whined and turned her head away, averting her gaze out of embarrassment. "You know my friends," she mumbled.

 

"Your friends are our group, your dogs, and your kid sister."

 

"But…you still know them!"

 

Tiffany rolled her eyes, "Do you hear how ridiculous you're being right now?" Instinctively, she hooked a finger beneath the other girl's chin and moved her to look her in the eyes.

 

Dark chocolate eyes blinked back at her, glistening with vexation.

 

"Let me be childish." Taeyeon shook her head to flick the other woman's hand away.

 

"So, you know you're being unreasonable?" A smile put a lilt in Tiffany's teasing voice.

 

"I told you from the beginning that it was stupid." 

 

"Okay, silly. What can I do to make you feel better about this?"

 

"I don't know."

 

"Think a little," Tiffany prodded.

 

"I don't want to be pushy."

 

"Do you want to meet Jessica?"

 

Her pride possessed her to answer defensively, "I never said that. Maybe. Uh, I'm a busy person."

 

A Cheshire grin crept across Tiffany's face as she watched the girl fumble to appear indifferent. "It's a date."

 

--

 

       Jessica felt slightly strange watching her neighbor prance across the screen of her computer. The other woman was probably just on the other side of the wall, yet Jessica had resolved to learn more about the phenomena that was Girls'  Generation with her own devices. Although Yuri had been very nice about it, the woman was reluctant to embarrass herself again by demonstrating further ignorance regarding the sensational group that her childhood friend promoted with. A quick Google search led her to such an expansive plethora of articles, broadcasts, and fan videos that she felt almost as if she could pass an exam on these girls- The Nation's Girl Group- if she had a day or two scour through the search results. 

 

       The video of Yuri on a recent variety show ended, segueing into a much older clip via autoplay. Fuzzy even after a click on the highest viewing quality; there was no doubting its age. The description read SNSD 070805. Jessica felt a flame of guilt curl in her belly at the numbers. Right after graduating from high school, while Tiffany had been toiling in the final stretch before debut, Jessica had left Korea in a whirlwind for a required international students' summer orientation in California. Although their friendship overcame the hardship of distance through IM (later replaced by iPhones; the blessing they hadn't known they needed), vacations, and social media, Jessica had never jumped the learning curve with being a fan. She felt a pang of regret knowing that she had not monitored the performances that her friend considered her pride and joy closely during her time abroad, and couldn't help but wonder how she would feel if Tiffany were as ignorant of her livelihood as she was of the younger girl's. She trained her gaze carefully on the screen, mentally naming the girls which she had only come to recognize that afternoon- better late than never.

 

Yuri and Tiffany. Hyoyeon, Yoona, Seohyun, Sooyoung, Sunny-

 

The front door suddenly swung open, and Jessica reflexively snapped her laptop shut. Krystal strode through the doorway, staring at her.

 

"What were you doing?" The lanky girl floated into a seat at the dining table beside her sister.

 

"Uh, n-nothing. You surprised me. Why'd I give you a key, again?"

 

"You're being weird." Krystal narrowed her eyes before deciding to let it go."Whatever." She flipped her hair over her shoulder before lifting up a hand filled with letters. "Brought your mail."  She fanned the envelopes across the table with a flourish, tapping one in particular with a grin. "I think you'll be happy with what you find."

 

"What is it?" Jessica plucked the envelope out of the fray.

 

Krystal nudged her impatiently. "Just read it."

 

"Ms. Jung, we are pleased to invite you as a distinguished guest of honor to the tenth annual Influence Asia gala. Join us for an elegant evening of networking, food, and fun…" she trailed off.

 

"You know you have to go, right?"

 

"Sounds pretentious and boring."

 

Krystal lightly knocked a fist to the older girl's temple. "You're a business woman. Networking is your job. I know you aren't used to it here yet, but this is a high-profile event. Even if it's boring, some of the most important people in Asia are going to be there. Get out there and make some friends, Jess- you're going to be here a while. You have your people, but Blanc's a liability without a strong home base."

 

Jessica was surprised by her sister's sound advice. "You're the last person I expected to push me to be a social butterfly, Krys. Tiff was right, maybe you are growing up."

 

"You must be happy to have such a mature younger sister." Krystal fluttered her eyelashes, voice laden with an unspoken I told you so.

 

"Cheers to that, you little booger."

 

--

 

A/N: Slow, slow, slow. I like it that way, though. Sorry for sneaking in some Jeti lol, I love them. A touch of Yulsic. Rest assured though, Jeti and Yulsic are both just friendships; same deal with Taeny. Taengsic is coming!! This chapter had relatively little to do with the decline of the environment. Think about it, do you think about the terrible state of the environment in our actual world every day? When I decided to write something apocalyptic, I knew I wanted it to start with more subtlety than, say, zombies chasing OT9 around haha. Not that that's not cool too! This is just my personal vision. Don't entirely neglect the bits of information regarding the environmental conditions, though- they're pretty vital to the story.