The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

 

"How was your day love?" Dongwoon asked when Sohyun stepped her foot in the front door.

"It was fine." She said as usual, without spare her husband a single glance.

 

45 years. It's been 45 years of her contended marriage with Son Dongwoon. 45 years of her life that she spend without him.

 

~o~

 

Summer, 2001

 

Sohyun has been spend her entire day sunbathing on her backyard, yet she didn't feel tan enough. The graduation party of the seniors was great, she's not a high schooler anymore.

 

Soon, she'll go to the college, live in a dorm with a room mate. Being a freshmen.

 

So still she laying on the blanket she put, still need more warmth from the summer light.

 

The horn from a car startled her, Sohyun straighten her body and got up. Making her way to the front yard and when she realize who's the comer she started to run and hug that person.

 

"Hyuna! Oh my God! What a surprise, why you didn't tell me you're coming!" Sohyun said welcoming her cousin.

"Well, if I tell then it won't be a surprise." Hyunasaid hug Sohyun back.

 

"So, where's Doojoon ahjussi and Jihyun ahjumma?" Hyunasaid.

"Enjoying their second honeymoon in Hawaii. Let their only daughter alone here," Sohyun said as Hyuna laugh.

 

The 2 of them talking happily and didn't notice there's a man leaning onHyuna's truck, "eerrrmmm- Hyuna, still here." He said waving his hand and taking both of the girls out of their talks.

 

"C'min. It's already hot here." Sohyunsaid sparing a quick glance at a man followed behind them who smiled back at her.

 

~o~

 

Summer, 2049

 

Today  Seungyeon, Seungah, and Yoowoon will come to sleep over. Years passed by so quickly, her little grandchildren grow up so fast.

 

Seungyeon and her twin Seungah are 15 now while their brother is 7. Even though the twins are teenagers now, they still love to cuddle up with their old grandma and listen to her stories like Yoowoon.

 

The doorbell rings and one of the maid open the door. The sound of footsteps in the house can be heard. Especially Yoowoon's, as he running through the corridor and jump to his grandpa.

 

"Grandpa!" Yoowoon said happily, as Dongwoon swaying his little grandson in the air. "I missed you grandpa!," he said chuckling, "where is grandma?"

 

"Grandma is in her room. Go to her." As Dongwoon approaching his twin granddaughters. "Oh girls. Come here dear." He said as he hugging them.

 

~o~

 

Sohyun is in her room opening the window beside her bed and put an old leather book down on the bedside tablethen rubbing her right wrist when she hear the door cracking open and Yoowoon running making his merry way to her.

 

"Grandma! I miss you so much!" He said while Sohyun hug him back.

"Hello my handsome angel." She said tossing Yoowoon's hair.

"Aw, grandma. Seungyeon already fixed it in the car..." He said pouting while touch his golden hair.

 

"Where are your parents?" She asked.

"Dad just took us on the front gate, he's late for the meeting, he said." Yoowoon said while he climbing up to the king-size bed that Sohyun sitting.

 

"I see, have you get your lunch, and where's your sister-" before Sohyun finish it her twin granddaughter steps in to the room.

"Hi grandma!" Seungyeon said while Seungah hug her and sit beside her little brother. "Hello girls," she said hugging Seungyeon.

 

"Grandma, what is it?" Asked Seungah as she take a leather old book to her lap and open it while Seungyeon and Yoowoon look it. "It's an album." Sohyun said as she take her seat between her grandchildren and put the album on her lap.

 

"Is this you when you were young grandma?" Seungyeon pointed at a smiling black haired young beauty sitting on the swing in the photo.

 

"Yes my dear, I was 15 when this picture is taken." She said touching the photo.

 

Then her grandchildren starting to flipped page by page until they almost reached the final page.

"It's you grandma! With grandpa!" Yoowoon said pointing his little finger to the picture.

"It is dear, on our wedding day." She said smiling softly as she flipped more pages when Seungah stop her.

 

"Wait! Who's this guy?" She said pointing her finger to a young handsome that she knew so well who stood beside her younger version in the picture.

 

~o~

 

Spring, 2002 (4 pm)

 

"Ok! Say "cheese"." Said Hyuna as she pressed the camera button towards a pair of young couple in front of him.

 

"Cheese!" Sohyun and Ljoe said together before they laugh at each other.

"Happy birthday Sohyun!" Hyuna said while hugging her, "I'll go get the cake!" she said walking back into the house.

 

When Hyuna is out of sight, Ljoe put his arms around Sohyun's slender waist and pull her into a sweet peck on the lips before he said, "Happy birthday," and smile sweetly to her then kissed both of her cheeks before kiss her forehead and lips again. Sohyun's laughter filled the air and Ljoe smiled again.

 

"Ok happy couple. Stop your cuddling activity- here's the cake sweetie. Make a wish before blow your candle." Hyuna said hugging her again.

 

"Got your wish?" Ljoe asked.

"Yes." Sohyun nodded then blow the candle.

 

~o~

 

(Spring, 2002 (7 pm)

 

"You're ready?" Ljoe asked Sohyun when she stepped out from the house.

"Sure, where will we go?" She said while she linger her arm to his torso while she hold her scarf with her free hand.

 

"Somewhere...crowded." He said slowly as he open his car and let her in.

 

~o~

 

Summer, 2049

 

"Are you sure you don't want to eat dears?" Sohyun asks her grandchildren.

"Nope." They answer in unison, "come on grandma, tell us what happen next?" Seungyeon said while Seungah nodding eagerly.

 

"Ok, then- he took me, to a spring festival that night. It was so crowded. Full of people, musics,-

"Candies!" Yoowoon said with full of enthusiasm,"But festivals do have candies, don't they grandma?" Yoowoon said oblivious of the fact that he cut off his grandma's word.

 

Sohyun chuckling softly and nods. "Yes dear, full of candies. Do you want me to continue, Yoowoonnie?" She asks and Yoowoon nod.

 

~o~

 

"Festival?" Sohyun said chuckling.

"I remember said 'crowded', so here we are,"

Ljoe said expanded his arms and pull Ljoe's hand while she shaking her head then walking to the crowd.

 

It's been a year since their togetherness, Sohyun  never felt this fall hard toward someone until Ljoe came on the summer with Hyuna because he promised herhe'll get out from the campus to ease himself.

It happened so soon, their encounter, the dates, and all. But she never felt so sure like this. Ever.

 

"C'mere Sohyunnie!" Ljoe said pulling her closer and making their way toward tattoos booth.

"What?" She asked when they face the small tattoos booth.

 

"You said you always want to have a tattoo, since it's your birthday, let's make one!" He said.

 

~o~

 

Sohyun smile softly while rubbing her left wrist. Her long silk blouse shows her tattoo. "Is that the tattoo grandma?" Seungyeon asks, touch her wrist lightly.

 

"What's the form grandma?" Seungah says, while Yoowoon already fell asleep between her and Sohyun.

"It's a chain." She says.

 

~o~

 

"Chain? Why chain?" Sohyun asked, looking at her new tattoo on her left wrist, a small chain tattoo linger on her wrist with a lock on the right side of her wrist.

 

"Why not?" Ljoe asked back. As he touch the same tattoo that marked his right wrist but the lock is on the left side.

 

"Hey, I asked first." Sohyun said pushing his shoulder playfully.

"Because it'll tied us." Ljoe said simply as he put his and Sohyun's tattooed wrist together. It made a picture of a single lock chain locked.

 

"I want to be tied with you." He said again, now facing Sohyun as his eyes meet Sohyun'seyes.

"You forget to add the key for the lock." Sohyun said pointing her finger at their united wrist then make a smile that make him smile too, "for what? I don't want it unlock. Ever." He said as his mouth landed on her lips and kiss her passionately.

 

~o~

 

"So it's tied you." Says Seungah while she looking at Sohyun now wrinkle wrist.

"Yes. Until now." Sohyun says whispering.

 

~o~

 

Autumn, 2005

 

It's been 4 years and a half they together and almost a year since they decided to live together.She managed to go to the college and maintain her relationship with him. Now both of them are no longer colleagues.

 

But lately, things didn't turned out as they planned. Life as they know it- are no longer the same.

 

"Why you never want to listen!" Sohyun yelled at him and following him like a lost puppy.

 

"I always let you to control it all, from the smallest thing to the big things and yet you say I didn't listen to-" he ranted but before he could finish it Sohyun yelled again, "That's not listening! That's letting Byunghun! You let me arrange everything and never told me what you really want so when I set something and it's wrong, you. blame. me!" She said with emphasis on the last word.

 

"Yes! I do blame you! I blame you for all! Everything!" He said before he slammed the door and turning his car on.

 

"Fine! Go away! That's what you always do when we have a fight! Why don't you just never comeback again!" She said as he turn his car from the main yard out to the street.

 

A single tear escaped from her eyes, slowly more tears came down onto her cheeks until she sobbing hardly in front of the door.

 

~o~

 

"You have fight. With him." Seungyeon says, as she lean her head to the pillow.

"Yes, a big fight. I even don't remember what we fight over for,"Sohyun says as her eyes slowly watered from the painful memory. "He always came back, no matter what issues we have, but that time...-"she says and Seungah cut it off, "he didn't." And Sohyun nodded as a tear slipped from her eyelids.

 

~o~

 

Ljoe was furious, he was mad, disappointed. It's been a hundredth time they have fight like this.

 

As he drove the car alongside the quiet way on the cliff, he tried to pull his long shirt until it reach his elbow.But something on his right wrist took his attention fully. It's the chain tattoo. The chain that bound them together.

 

Could they be saved?

 

Ljoe smile at the sight of his tattoo, he have to go back. Back to her. Back to Kwon Sohyun.

 

But before he can do that, he didn't realize that he was in the wrong side of the way and there's a car coming on his way.

 

Suddenly he turn to the right path, to the sharp turn with full speed but late to put on the brakes and he fell from the cliff then an exploded sound could be hear not long after that.

 

~o~

 

"I should have told him what he meant to me." Sohyun says as tears formed on her eyelids and one by one fall onto her cheeks.

 

Seungyeon and Seungah hug her tightly as they rub her shoulder and back in some form of comforting.

"Because of that I've paid the price." She added once more, makes the girls hug her tighter.

 

~o~

 

One moment passed as the 3 of them hug each other until

Sohyun feels a lot better. Without their realize, Yoowoon is already wake up from his slumber.

 

"Grandma? Why you're crying?" He asks as the 3 of them startled.

"It's okay sweetheart. Grandma just tired." She says.

 

Oblivious to the answer, he asks, "So who's the man you told us earlier grandma?"

 

"He is the one that got away." Sohyun says smiling as the summer breeze came into her room and flow some of her grey-ish flocks.

 

The End.