Purple and Blue

Charades
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"I told you, Mom. I'm not going to that stupid camp and be with a bunch of idiots that I don't even know, and nobody's going to make me to." Jisung crossed his arms in front of him and frowned to his Mom who just talked to him about sending him to a camp to be held just next to the city they live in. His mother is very furious because of his attitude now and also, in his performance in the passed school year of his 8th grade.

 

 

"Oh nobody's asking your permission, Young Lad. You're going whether you like it or not. The camp bus is going to pick you up here tomorrow morning whether you refuse or not. You should've thought about this before misbehaving that much in school, Jisung Park. I'm really disappointed." His mother nag, but you can see the hurt in her eyes to see her son being like this. Jisung just ruffled his blue hair and stomped his way to his bedroom, slamming his bedroom door shut.

 


Jisung hates going to school. That's why he always gets himself into trouble skipping classes and getting detention every week. There's no particular reason why he's doing these, but he just don't see the real significance anymore of going to school and be defined by grades. He'd rather study and learn by himself at home with his little telescope and a bunch of encyclopedias in which he's really fond of reading. He's a quiet, but mischievous kid. He pulls pranks on anybody he can think of just to amuse himself and make the day pass by faster. Nobody can even understand why he's being like that, including his Mom, and because they can't understand him, they just blame it all on the thought that he is going through puberty.

 


Jisung wanted to run away from home many times, but he still loves his Mom so much that he can't leave her eventhough she's being like that. He is the only one his mother have, after his father died when he was still a toddler, and his grandparents already died in old age 2 years ago. The morning came and as much as he hated it, he dragged himself on board on the bus. All the seats are already taken except for the seat where a purple-haired guy is sitting which still have a space for one person left. He ruffled his blue hair in annoyance, and just took the seat awkwardly, eyeing the guy next to him who's looking far ahead out of the window. The guy attempted to stretch his arms, but instead he hit Jisung right on the face accidentally. The purple-haired guy was startled when he realized that someone is sitting beside him. Jisung, on the other hand, was rubbing the part of his face that got hit, cursing under his breath for what just happened.

 

 

"Duì bu qǐ! Duì bu qǐ!" The purple-haired guy, looking worried and surprised for what he had done, began speaking in Mandarin which made Jisung confused because he can't understand a thing he is saying. 

 


"It's okay. It's okay." Jisung assumed that the other is sorry for what happened because he was pressing his palms together like in a praying position, so he just let it pass just to stop the other from saying alien languages that he can't understand before blood will go spurting out of his nose. He hears the other breathe a sigh of relief.

 

 

"Thank God" The other said, putting his hand over his chest.

 

 

"Hey! You can speak human!" Jisung felt a little betrayed, pointing in accusation at the guy beside him who began waving both hands infront of him and began speaking in Mandarin again. "No... I... small... talk...English... Korean...uhm" The other tried to speak accommodated with actions just to make them understand each other, but the scrunched look on Jisung's face just shows that he can still not understand what the other is trying to say. The purple-haired guy thought for a second and Jisung was just staring at him. His expression brightened and he began digging for something in his backpack. He brought out an identification card and showed it to Jisung who then read it.

 

 

"Shanghai, China... Oh! You're from China! So that's why you're being alien. " The other nodded excitedly when Jisung finally got it. Jisung felt a little disappointed tho because he thought the purple-haired guy is someone from space which he always dreamed to go to, but it turned out that the alien language that he was speaking ago was because he is Chinese. 

 

 

"Zzong Chehn Leh? How do y-" Jisung's face was all distorted, trying to read the other's name.

 

 

"Jjong Chuhn Luh" Chenle corrected, his eyes disappearing in his smile. He held out his hand for a handshake. Jisung looked at it for a while and finally took it with a smile.

 

 

"I'm Jisung Park. Park as in Pu-Wark" Jisung introduced himself confidently with a mini salute, and Chenle just laughed at how he emphasized the "Park" part. They spent the whole ride, talking to each other, or more like playing charades just for one to understand the other. Chenle can understand a little of the Korean language, but it's just that he doesn't know how to speak it. In spite of the terrible language barrier, the two managed to click with each other's randomness.

 

 

Jisung never had a legit friend before. His classmates avoid him because of his weirdness and randomness, and his only friend and bestfriend is his Mom. He is popular with the girls tho because of his undeniable good looks, but no girl ever had courage to step up infront of him because let's just say that he's not that approachable because if he's not pranking one person, he is always spacing out. Spacing out as in, literally spacing out because he always thinks about going to the outer space and meet aliens and other heavenly bodies up there. So, it's funny that he gained a friend in that bus ride that he refused to take the night before.

 

 

They arrived in the camp without noticing that time had passed by. It was a Sino-Korean Camp where Chinese Middle Schoolers and Korean Middle Schoolers are teamed up together to have fun and establish teamwork in the planned activities for the next  7 days. Unfortunately, Jisung and Chenle were separated the moment they got off the bus because they have to line-up by nationality. They haven't even said their goodbyes properly because everything happened so fast and they were so lost because of the new environment. Jisung just sighed and accepted that this is indeed a punishment and his Mom had just thrown him into a pit of hell. 

 

 

"Okay! I want you to line up and pick from the box infront your cabin keys. In this way, you will also choose your buddy slash roommate for the next 7 days." The instructions were given in 2 languages for the Chinese MidSchoolers to understand. Jisung lined up and saw Chenle just ahead in the line of Chinese Midschoolers. His expression brightened for a while, but went back to a poker face because he is confused of the fact that he is being excited to see a person whom he just met, so he just turned his cheek to the other way, and decided to forget about it. He was the last in line, so he picked up the last key in the box which says "Room #5"

 

 

"Now that you have picked your cabin keys, we are going to give you time to freshen up and get to know your buddy, okay? We will expect you to be back here after an hour, then we will proceed to our next activity. You may go." The instruction was again repeated in Chinese and the kids went running to their cabins except for Jisung who has both hands on the pockets of his jacket, kicking a medium-sized stone as he walk towards Room #5.

 

 

"Jisung Pu-wark!" He looked up when he hears a familiar high-pitch voice. The purple-haired Chenle was standing infront of him by the door of his room whose eyes are gone again because of smiling. Jisung tried his best to stop himself from smiling widely too because of Chenle's contagious smile. Chenle smiles so brightly while Jisung, who's not really used to smiling, has an awkward smile regardless of the degree of its sincerity. He also tried hard to restrain himself from showing that he's feeling really happy that it's Chenle whom he'll be buddies with for the whole camp. At that moment, Jisung concluded that this camp may not be a bad idea after all.

 

 

=//=

 

 

Having Chenle as a pair in the activities felt like jackpot for Jisung. One reason is that Chenle is like a walking luck and the epitome of competitiveness because they have won several games and they consistently belong in the top 3. This is a new experience for Jisung because he, himself, never won competitions or games before. It's not that he on it, but it's just that he's not that competitive when it comes to games like these, but because of Chenle, his sleeping competitiveness was driven awake.

 

 

"Jisung Pu-wark... Chenle... uhmmm... hungry... eat... the prize... Jisung Pu-wark, Chenle, win, okay?" Jisung's face is scrunched up again as he take note of every gesture Chenle makes as he struggle to speak, trying to figure out what the other is trying to say again this time. Chenle showed a thumbs up to him, trying to confirm if Jisung understands that he wanted to win again this time because the prize is a box of fried chicken wings and that he wants to eat that because he's hungry again. After a few moments of connecting the dots, Jisung would then nod and return the thumbs up, signifying that he gets Chenle's message already. "Okay, Lele. Let's win this and kill them all." The cycle goes on in every game and activity. Chenle always wants the prize, so he's always determined to win and unconsciously, brings out Jisung's capabilities in games. Jisung, on the other hand, was just going with the flow because it was no doubt that he enjoys Chenle's company.

 

 

=//=

 

 

The day ended smoothly without having a dull moment. The two boys are now lying on their backs on each other's beds, waiting for sleep to come to them. Chenle sat up in an indian sitting position and faced towards Jisung whose bed is just beside his.

 


"Jisung Pu-wark?" Chenle called out. Jisung just hummed in reply, restraining a laugh because the other kept calling him like that. He was just introducing himself jokingly that time in the bus, but the other really took it seriously. He looked at Chenle who was holding a language book and talking to the air like practicing the next words he wanted to say.

 


"You teach Chenle say Korean Language. We understand together, okay? Chenle will practice." Chenle tried to say it smoothly in a way that Jisung would understand that he wanted Jisung to teach him some of his language so that they may understand each other easier as he will continue practicing.

 


"Okay. I'll teach you, but you should also teach me some Mandarin to be fair, okay?" Jisung managed to understand and Chenle nodded and clapped with glee. That started their mini Korean Language Class. Jisung first taught Chenle simple sentences that they can use such as, "I'm hungry. I want to eat that food." "It's delicious." "I'm tired. Let's take a rest, first." "May I go to the toilet?" "What are you doing?" "How do you say this thing in Korean?" "Fighting!" and many more. They did this by playing a game like charades where they act it out to clearly express the meaning. It was a very fun time. Chenle would also teach Jisung how to say those words in Mandarin, but the blue-haired almost gave up halfway because of the pronounciation and intonations. Their mini class continued until their eyes felt droopy already because of sleepiness.

 

 

=//=

 

 

The next day, Jisung and Chenle went out to see the schedule of activities and what they are really looking forward to is the race hike that is gonna take place on the 5th day of camp, they're determined to win that because the prize is one year supply of snacks from a sponsor company of the camp. The first 4 days of the camp were pretty much the same. The work and play was routinary. It was just like school however, Jisung, miraculously, never felt bored as the 4 days passed so quickly. He and Chenle is still having that mini Korean-Mandarin classes evey night before they sleep. One memorable time was when Chenle caught a cockroach by the hand and asked Jisung with his broken Korean what is it called which made Jisung almost passed out with the sight because the purple-head is waving it so close to his face. He and Chenle became closer and closer as the days went by. 

 

 

"Chenle-yah, what is your favorite food?" Jisung asked, when they are trying out to converse in Korean using an interview list in Chenle's Korean Book because Chenle is already improving in just 4 days, but Jisung's mandarin is still down in the dumps, but he managed to learn some words and phrases 

 


"Oh! Food... I like? Hmmmm... There a lot food I like, but ramyeon best. Very delicious."Chenle answered with his cute actions expressing every word that he want to say, finishing it with his two thumbs up. 

 


"Very good. You just have to improve on using verbs like Is, Are, Was, Were like that. Next question." Jisung gave him a mini applause, before reading the next question.

 


"What is the first Korean sentence you have learned?" Jisung stared at Chenle who thinking really hard, waiting for his answer.

 


"I love you." Chenle said softly, showing a gentle smile at Jisung. Their eyes met for a few seconds and the blue-haired choked on air because he felt his ears heated for a moment, and immediately shifted his gaze back to the book.

 


"O-okay. That was perfect. Now let's see what's next. Who is the person..." Jisung paused when he saw what kind of question it is, but just shrugged it off because he doesn't understand why it's like a big deal for h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter