beyond wildest (or weirdest) dreams

More Than Meets The Eye

The warmth besides her starts to shift away and Jessica instinctively seeks it out, chasing it, as though hoping to reclaim the comfort she'd felt the instant her consciousness had been lifted from the clutches of sleep.

"Okay, 5 more minutes." 

Says the source of the warmth and Jessica feels the bed dip, a pair of arms slide around her waist, tugging her into a gentle embrace. 

"Mmm..."

Jessica snuggles closer to the other person, nuzzling her head into the crook of a neck.

The distinctive vanilla scent emanating off soft skin and filling her sense of smell triggers feelings of nostalgia—reminding her of someone she'd once known and there's suddenly a gnawing ache in her chest. 

Jessica sighs, no longer feeling the desire to stay in bed—the painful feelings would only resurface and drown her in unwanted memories. 

Jessica was trying to move forward.

She needed to move forward.

They probably already had done so.

The only way to rid herself of this heartache was to throw herself into her work—she had already tried and proven this for herself.

Finally freed from the veil of sleep, Jessica shifts to disentangle herself from her companion.

That's when she realises she went to bed alone.

oh god. what happened!

Jessica stiffens, before putting her entire weight behind her arms and shoves the other person away from her and off the bed. 

The girl—she was too small and too light to be a male—lets out a yelp of surprise as she tumbles to the ground, dragging half of the covers with her on the way down.

That's when Jessica notices that her covers were pink and not the simple white Jessica was accustomed to.

what the hell?

"What the hell!" 

Jessica jumps as the words that were running through her own mind are vocalised by a disgruntled, yet very very familiar voice. 

Something akin to panic grips her. Jessica pales, feeling the blood draining from her face and suddenly feels light headed.

"Taeyeon..."

Said person lifts her head to meet her eyes and Jessica swears her heart stops, because somehow, Taeyeon was here and somehow Taeyeon didn't look at her with the barely contained animosity that had always glimmered beneath the surface when or rather—if—their eyes met.

But then the next word that slips out of Taeyeon's mouth shatters that very hope.

"Fany?"

Jessica doesn't—can't—say anything and finds herself speechless, because really, what can you say to that?

Had Taeyeon hit her head? Or maybe Jessica had hit her head and was hallucinating now.

"Are you alright? You're scaring me." Taeyeon says, looking at Jessica with such concern that Jessica feels as though she might just burst into tears at right there and then.

What kind of hallucination was this? It wasn't even fun.

She swallows against the lump in and holds back her tears.

"A-are," Jessica's brows twitch at the foreign husky tone of her voice, but she continues anyway, "Are you okay?"

Jessica wonders if she had somehow lost her voice overnight—even through just whispering, it was too husky and too deep to be her own.

"Why wouldn't I be? Well aside from probably getting some bruise since you pushed me off our bed!" Taeyeon quips back, voice filled with mirth.

Jessica tentatively closes her eyes, then opens them again, blinking a few extra times for good measure.

Nope. Taeyeon was still sitting on the ground staring back at her attentively. 

"What are you doing here?"

As soon as Jessica asks the question, the pieces click together. 

She was the one in the odd place.

This was their dorm, more specifically this was Tiffany and Taeyeon's room. This was their bed. 

And this was so not her body—it was Tiffany's.

"Oh my god..."

Jessica tries not to freak out, but to be honest, she's freaking out, because what else is the appropriate response to something like this.

It was just weird.

"Now I'm really concerned." Taeyeon says as she clambers off the floor and settles back onto the bed, legs crossed underneath herself.

"I'm fine! I was just joking...Taeng." Jessica lets out a nervous laugh, still finding it strange to talk and hearing Tiffany's voice in place of her own.

"What happened to calling me TaeTae?"

"You like that?!" Jessica's raises both eyebrows in surprise, her voice coming out louder than necessary and she flinches at the volume, "I mean, you don't mind?" Jessica adds sweetly, trying to channel her inner-pink-monster-all-things-rainbows-Tiffany persona.

Taeyeon doesn't seem convinced though and stares at her suspiciously, as though trying to determine what was off about her. 

In reality, there was nothing "off" about her...well, except the fact that Jessica looks,  sounds and was basically pretending to be Tiffany right now—and would have to do so until she could get back into her own body.

"I like it when you call me TaeTae." Taeyeon's face softens after a while, deciding that 'Tiffany' was just trying to get her to admit to the fact.

Jessica keeps her mildly horrified reaction inside this time, and just plasters on what she hoped was Tiffany's trademark eye smile. 

"Aww, you're cute, TaeTae."

She inwardly cringes at the nickname and at Taeyeon's easy acceptance of it. 

She would have to deal if she was going to temporarily fill Tiffany's shoes.

 

//

 

Watching Taeyeon rummage through the closet to find an appropriate outfit for the day leaves Jessica with a longing that settles in the pit of her stomach. It'd been a long time since she'd seen the others—in person and not pasted on billboards or the fronts of glossy magazine covers. It reminds her of how much she'd missed them, how much she'd hated herself for missing them and of her stupid crush on someone who could barely even look at her. 

And now it seemed like they couldn't stop looking at her, but in reality, it still wasn't really Jessica that they were seeing, and the thought of it just stings a little too much.

On some days, Jessica had wished that she was back in SNSD, after all, the group had defined the greater part of her youth and after all those years, most of the members had become something akin to family, but even then, this was certainly not what she had in mind.

Jessica really didn't know how she was going to keep up these pretences with Taeyeon, because as amusing as it was, it hurt to be able to interact with her ex-leader. Hurt when she was on the receiving end of nothing but soft smiles and fond glances, but it didn't really count if Taeyeon thought Jessica was Tiffany—not when Taeyeon believed she was staring at, smiling at and laughing with Tiffany.

Sometimes something wasn't better than nothing at all.

...just let me return to my bodylet me wake up and find that this was all just a weird dream.

Jessica feels her heartache morph slowly into a headache, the sides of her temples beginning to throb.

"Well, I believe it's time to get ready. We have to dance practice for our comeback." 

Taeyeon, now fully dressed and changed into her attire for the day—an oversized hoodie and track pants—pads over to Jessica and prods at her side.

Jessica feels panic wash over her when a more imminent problem presents itself. She realises she doesn't know anything about the comeback at all.

How far along were they into learning the choreography? What did the song sound like?

(And a masochistic part of her wondered which lines would've gone to her, which lines were written with her voice in mind? Did she still even have a part within SNSD? Or had they wiped her out completely, as though she'd never even been there in the first place?) 

But still, the overarching question was how the hell was she going to explain her overnight amnesia of 'all things comeback related'?

Wait.

If she was here, then did it mean Tiffany was in her body?

Jessica furtively glances around the mess of the room in search of her phone, well Tiffany's phone to be exact. If she could contact Tiffany then...She didn't know what then, but at least it was a first step anyway.

Not finding it in sight, her eyes seek out Taeyeon's and finds the other has no hesitation in meeting her gaze. Jessica feels the strange tightness in her chest again. 

"Tae, I think I lost my phone."

"Are you sure you're okay, Fany? It's where you always put it—charging from you laptop."

"Thanks."

Taeyeon shrugs and points to the door, "I'm going to go wake the others, I don't want us to be late for practice. Get dressed in the meantime?"

Jessica just nods and as soon as the door clicks shut behind Taeyeon, she springs off the bed almost lunging towards the phone plugged into a laptop—just like where Taeyeon had said it would be.

She thanks the latest technological advancements when she manages to unlock the phone with her fingerprint.

Without hesitation she dials her own number and doesn't let herself dwell too much on the fact that Tiffany still had the number saved in her contacts.

"Hello?" 

Whoa. It was weird to hear her own voice answering the phone.

"Tiffany?"

"Jessica!"

"Thank god." Jessica says relief flooding her voice and she falls back onto her bed, her head hitting a pillow and hair fanning out on its cover.

"So...this is weird, Jessi."

"You don't need to tell me that...I woke up to Taeyeon."

Tiffany laughs on the other line and again, Jessica feels a wave of cognitive dissonance, or maybe physical dissociation, as hears her own laughter floating into her ear.

"Must've been a shock."

"I thought I hit my head or something."

Jessica finds that talking to Tiffany, to someone she was supposed to have an estranged relationship with, was surprisingly easily—as though they'd never fallen out of contact and the events of September had never happened—and despite the strange circumstances, it ironically felt like the most normal thing to do ever.

Maybe that was just a side effect of trading bodies. Maybe everything else just paled in comparison to the predicament in hand, falling to the wayside and mircaluously mending strained friendships overnight. Maybe, the alternative of dealing with and being in this situation alone was just way worse.

"Okay, so what are we going to do, Tiff? How are we going to figure this out?"

"I don't know, but let's just give it a few days and hope it'll revert by itself...you know, pretend for a few days and pray...if nothing happens we'll work it out from there...?"

Jessica sighs, neither of them seemed to know what had caused this swap, and thus, neither seemed to know how to revert it. All they could do was to pray that it reverse spontaneously, and soon too.

"I guess we don't have much of a choice...but Tiff, what am I going to do in the meantime, I don't know the choreo or comeback song, it'll be too suspicious."

"I recorded the choreo and songit's on my phone."

Jessica feels relieved again, silently thanking Tiffany for her hardworking ethic.

"Oh my god, thanks!! Oh and Tiffany, I'll deal with emails and paperwork for Blanc... just make sure to go every meeting and...take notes for me. I'll review them when we...switch back?"

Jessica wonders how long they'd be stuck like this and if they would be stuck like this forever.  She cringes at the thought, banishing it from her mind immediately. They had to switch back eventually...right?

"Consider it done, CEO Jung."  Tiffany pauses briefly, before tentatively speaking again, "I know this is probably hard for you, to be back with the rest of them...I'm sorry about how things played out, I don't expect you to be able to forgive us but just...know that I'm here for yougood luck, Jessi?"

"I'll need it..." Jessica says drily and wonders if Tiffany would be saying the same words had they not been into this situation.

"But thanks, I appreciate the sentiment and you too, don't screw up my company!"

When they finally hang up, Jessica just lies on the bed and stares up at the blank ceiling. She knows she definitely needs a lot of luck, a lot patience and maybe, just maybe, there might eventually be room for forgiveness in her heart, but in the meanwhile, what could she do?

She didn't really have much of a choice did she? 

 

//

 

AN: this really came out of nowhere and just felt the urge to write it, hence the Jeti!bodyswap was born lmao. As of now, I'm not too sure where I want to take the story so the updates may be sporadic lol

Being the lazy person I am, it's not beta'd (lol unsurprisingly)

let me know if you enjoyed it/what you think of it etc :) 

also idk what to even tag this as...it's messy lel rip [also does this mean I'm indirectly writing Taeny?]