Bonus: Kyungsoo POV Flashback

Signal Lost (& Found)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This is a flashback to Kyungsoo's experience back in high school. I hope you enjoy this drabble and the insight it maybe gives into Kyungsoo's character.

 

It's noon in Amnam High School, and lunch time is rowdy, as usual. Kyungsoo splits time between socializing with friends and working on his more elaborate sketches that he can’t sneakily doodle in the margins during math lessons. He’s been working on more architectural pieces lately, trying to capture his father’s office down by the Busan docks faithfully. If he can get the slopes of the roof and the planks of the wooden pier just right, maybe he’ll frame this one for his dad to hang on his office wall. So many of his throwaway works get snagged by his dad who proudly pins them to a bulletin board beside his desk. Which was fine when Kyungsoo was still in elementary school, but feels a little embarrassing to him now as a high schooler. At least he knows his dad is enthusiastically supportive of him pursuing his passion for art.

After a few more charcoal marks on the page, and then he puts it away in favor of actually eating during lunch period. Kyungsoo jokes with some of the guys in the back of the room as he fixes his tea and then circles back to his own desk.

His friend, Yifan, pokes his head into Kyungsoo’s classroom. Yifan’s a grade ahead of him, but when Kyungsoo first arrived in this sleepier suburb of Busan, the two bonded over being newbies in a town where most students had known each other since birth. Seoul, Guangzhou: it didn’t matter where they had come from. Both were equally foreign to their peers for the first few months, and so their friendship was cemented despite the age difference. They both had plenty of same-aged friends now, years later, but Kyungsoo still has a soft spot for his hyung. (And vice versa it seems.)

“Hey, I heard you guys have a grade-wide assembly tonight,” Yifan says, perching on the edge of his desk and stealing a slice of kimbap from Kyungsoo’s half eaten plate.

“Yeah, just before last period. Why?” It’s unlike Yifan to take an interest in any formal school functions.

“Nothing, just…” he feigns nonchalance. “Just text me later.”

He’s being weird, and stress eating more of Kyungsoo’s kimbap. Kyungsoo slaps his hand away. “Stop it - you’re tall enough and I still need food to grow,” he chides, getting a semi-fake laugh from his hyung. Kyungsoo his head to the side. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter