The Beginning

Behind the Curtain

Everyone was nervous. I mean, who wouldn't be? Hearing about the challenges the girls had to endure first season, the boys were terrified to see what they would have to do this year.

No one was more nervous than Im Youngmin, a sweet cutiepie who was getting older and knew that this would be one of his last chances to debut. He had always been someone to hide his emotions, just letting everything fall on his shoulders, even though he knew that he was overbooked. Now coming to this show from a comapny where many would expect great things from him, he was stressed out to say the least. Only one boy could decipher Youngmin's fear, Kim Donghyun, a kind-souled supportive trainee. 

They were not always this close. When Donghyun joined Brand New Music months after Youngmin, they stayed far from each other, as Youngmin is awkward and cannot start a conversation to save his life and Donghyun was too shy to say hi. When Donghyun moved into the dorm that Woojin, Daewhi and Youngmin already shared for months is when their relationship started. One night, Daehwi being Daehwi, could not stand the awkwardness from the two as they were still too awkward and shy to talk to each other. Donghyun had already become friends with Daehwi as it is not hard to do, and was slowly opening up to Woojin as they shared a bunk bed and could not not talk to each other. With Youngmin on the other side of the dormatory, there was not real time for the duo to talk as they were either too busy practicing or sleeping.

On this night, they had a free day as it was a holiday the next day. The four went into the living room to watch a movie, but Daehwi decided to make this an intervention. "You two," he pointed to the awkward duo, "need to introduce yourselves to each other. How long are you planning on not talking to each other as you share a dorm?" 

The two turned pink ,feeling belittled as young Daehwi called them out on their childish behavior. Donghyun started, shyly saying "Hi-i-i, I am Kim Donghyun and am 19 years old. I like to sing and play the guitar."

"Good, good!" exclaimed Daehwi, acting like the proud mother he isn't. "Now, you, Youngmin-hyung."

"Oh, well, hello," Youngmin started, looking at anything but the boy. "I am Im Youngmin, but some people call me alpace since Ilook like one. I like to rap and write lyrics." He looked up finally at the doe-eyed boy in front of him, surprised to see him laughing. "See, Daehwi, this is why I didn't want to say anything~~ He's laughing at me nowww."

"Oh no no no no!" Donghyun barley fell off his chair as Youngmin said this. "I'm not laughing at you. I mean, I guess I am but it's because you really do look like an alpaca. So cute~" 

Youngmin breathed out a breath of relief, worried that he had already skrewed up this new friendship.  

As it was getting close to midnight by this time, Woojin (who had been trying really hard not to fall asleep while listening to this conversation) and Daehwi had to start getting ready for bed. Youngmin wasn't tired though and saw that Donghyun didn't seem it either. 

"Hey, not sure if you wanted to, but it seems like we are out of ramen and I need a midnight snack. Do you maybe want to walk with me to the convenience store?" Youngmin asked feeling increidbly stupid to why this simple question was so hard for him.

"Sure, hyung!" donghyun exclaimed. "I wanted some too hahhahah. I'm always hungry."

And so the duo left not saying too much until they reached the store. "I will go grab the ramen if you wanna grab drinks" Donghyun suggested to which Youngmin nodded. 

As Donghyun walked over, he heard a huge crash coming from teh other side of the store, and was surprised to see Youngmin on the ground with soda cans all around him. It wasn't that Donghyun thought this was funny (what a lie) but he could not stop the stream of giggles that came. 

"Ahh why am I like this??" Youngmin exclaimed, surprised to feel Donghyun rummaging through the canned mess to help him up.

"Hyung~You better be careful or else I will never stop calling you clumsy alpaca." he said still giggling.

"Heyyy stop laughing at me. You are always laughing at me" Youngmin pouted. 

"Ok ok just be careful Youngmin-ah or else I may have to carry you back to the dorm and you're too heavy~"

"Hey! You little punk" Youngmin responded but was laughing at this point too. The duo quickly picked up their mess and left as soon as they could, trying to run away from the store's manager as quickly as they could. Both of them laughing, they reached the door to their dorm and layed down on the couch, trying to catch their breath.

"Wow, who would have thought that a convenience store could be so exciting" Donghyun said, breathing heavily.

"No kidding. All that running made me even hungrier. Do you want me to cook? I'm actually pretty good, believe it or not I won't drop anything" hopefully Youngmin adds in his head. 

He got a grunt in response, realizing Donghyun was already fast asleep. He laughed to himself and made the two ramens quickly, making extra sure not to drop anything. He nudged the sleeping potato so he could eat and laughed at how drowsy Donghyun looked as he opened his eyes.

"Oh th-thank you hyung" he responded with a yawn. He tried it and his sleepy eyes instantly became two big, white bulbs. "Daebak, this is really good~I'm impressed, paca" 

Youngmin smiled at this new nickname and let Donghyun know he was off to bed. Ever since this day, they were inseparable, always laughing together and even deciding to start practicing together, remembering this night ever once in a while whenever Youngmin drops something or Donghyun sees an alpaca. 

Now, one year later, they are together ready to compete for spots into a group. They both look at each other, feeling instantly more confident, and walk up those incredily intimidating stairs to where they, as the Brand New Boys, would sit and sensed the tranees look at them as they choose high-ranked seats. As the two sit down, Youngmin feels Donghyun's hand on his knee. He leans over and says "Paca-hyung, I'm nervous."

"We can do it, Dongie" is all Youngmin responds with, instantly knowing that if Donghyun was by his side, he can do anything.