One

I didn't think Death would be so good looking

Once Jeongguk looked death in the eye. And now death follows him wherever he goes.

 

One minute Jeongguk was safely placed on land, his feet agilely stepping across the rocks, the waves crashing against them. The next his foot slipped, head hitting a rock, waves sweeping his body from the rock pools into the deep abyss of the sea. 

 

A&E was never silent. There was always a patient rolling in through the doors needing Jeongguk's help but today the patient who needed help didn't roll through the front doors.

 

The sea was particularly rough that day. Waves battering among the rocks, Jeongguk in the midst of them. Unconscious. Swallowing him up.

 

"Patient in trauma 3 is seizing!" A voice shouted above the buzz of the hospital. In less than a second Jeongguk was in the room.

"Jimin, details. Now." Jeongguk barked while another nurse listed off the patients vitals at the same time.

"Came in this morning. A seizure at work. MRI done. No results yet. Scheduled for an EEG. Second seizure in a row. Hasn't had time to recover between them." Jimin spoke fast as he cushioned the patients head while she convulsed and timed the seizure.

"Okay, she's going into status epilepticus. I need 10 mg of diazepam now." There was a rush among the nurses to grab the diazapam as the minutes ticked by. "Hurry people! Every minute counts." Jeongguk shouted, impatient. Time meant everything when a patient had a seizure, especially a tonic-clonic seizure. At Jeongguk's reminder an injection was placed in his hand and he swiftly moved to insert the liquid through the patient's IV. Jeongguk held his breath. If the drugs worked her seizure would stop in a few minutes. Slowly she stopped convulsing and lay on the bed, her breathing erratic. Jeongguk let out a sigh of relief as he checked to see if she was responsive, barely. "How long was her first seizure this morning?"

"Over five minutes."

"And the two just now?"

"First one over five minutes. The second one would have been if not for the drugs." Jeongguk sighed.

"Okay, tell me when she gains consciousness, make sure shes hooked up for an EEG and get those MRI results now." Jimin nodded and promptly ran off to complete his tasks.

 

Jeongguk remembers being shocked out of unconsciousness when a wave crashed into his body, sending him further out to sea. It was at that time that Jeongguk regretted not learning how to swim. Not that he would have been able to with such rough seas but he at least could've kept his head out of the water for longer. Every breath he tried to take only led to him swallowing bitter sea water. He desperately tried to mimic swimming actions but they were useless. He couldn't keep his body above the water for more than a minute at a time. Soon the intervals between sinking and forcing his head out of the water for breath became longer.

 

"Doctor Jeon she's seizing again!" Jeongguk was once again running for the same room. When he arrived nurses were hurriedly preparing another dose of drugs and monitoring her vitals.

"Damnit. Administer another 10 mg of diazepam stat. Jimin did you get those MRI scans?"

"Yes, they're he-" An alarmed shout interrupted Jimin before he could finish

"She's seizing again! The drugs aren't working!"

 

Every breath in felt like fire down his throat. Every wave that hit his body felt like ice shards pricking his skin. The current was dragging him down. It was a fight to keep himself from being dragged down but the further down he was dragged the more peaceful it became. Soon he gave up fighting and let it all go.

 

"She's flatlining. Out of my way!" Jeongguk rushed to her side. He placed the heel of his hand on her chest and interlocked his other hand on top. Then he pressed down firmly and released every 2 seconds. He urgently kept pressing while Jimin hooked the patient up to mechanical ventilation. His eyes never left the vitals screen as he desperately tried to get her heart beating again. When Jungkook looked back at her, she had her eyes opened. Fear painted across her face. She was staring past Jeongguk and Jeongguk knew who she was looking at. Him.

 

Jeongguk doesn't remember being dragged out out of the water. He does, however, remember someone performing CPR on him. Something was wrong - weird, almost surreal. He knew his heart had stopped beating, he knew he wasn't breathing anymore, he could feel that there was no life left in him yet he was still in his body as CPR was performed on him. His eyes were open. Not moving. Not blinking. But he was looking out of them. They were on the figure, draped in a large cloak, watching him. The figure didn't talk, didn't move but Jeongguk knew who the figure was. He knew what was going to happen when the figure decided to act. It drew closer and Jeongguk wanted to recoil but all it did was stare right into his eyes.

 

 "No," Jeongguk whispered to himself, desperately performing CPR. "No, don't look at Him. Please look at me." he pleaded with the woman, looking into her eyes for any signs of life but they were blank. She was gone. His eyes flickered up to the vitals screen, a flat line mocked him. She was gone and Jeongguk had failed to save her from Him. He stopped the CPR and looked at the clock above the bed.

"Time of death, 2:50am." He turned around, ready to leave, but faltered when he saw that familiar figure behind him. He glared at the figure before walking out of the room.

 

Jeongguk had stared into the eyes of death and death had stared back. Jeongguk expected the imminent end of his life but nothing happened.

 

Jeongguk had stared death in the eyes and now death followed him wherever he went.


I've had this saved as a draft for too long. Part 2 should be out at some point but don't expect a quick update since I'm quite busy with school work. 

Hope you enjoyed this.