Cobwebs

Cobwebs

Soft beams of sunlight illuminate the dusty corners of your small shop, causing you to click your tongue in admonishment for not sweeping up. You had been so preoccupied lately with perfecting a new potion that you completely neglected the upkeep of your cozy shop. An ink-blotted cat slinks out of the way of your broom as you begin to sweep the worn wood floor. A spider scurries across its web when the bristles of the broom linger too close to its home in the corner.

“Don’t worry, friend. I’ll keep your hard work intact,” you say quietly, skirting around the silvery threads. Several identical webs stretch across every corner, their occupants hiding out of view. You decide to leave them be, knowing that they help to keep the pesky bugs at bay.

You’re in the middle of watering your plants when the light chime of bells draws your attention to the door. You smile at the familiar man who walks in and set your water pail down.

“Hello, Daehyun, what brings you here today?”

The vampire flashes a bright smile towards you as he removes his sunglasses, exposing his oxblood eyes and the soft purple bruises shaded underneath.

“I’ve been having trouble sleeping lately,” he complains with a loud groan, “Could you mix something for me again?”

A laugh bubbles from you lips as you take in his pitiful expression. Never had you known a vampire to whine so much.

“Of course, take a seat while I get some things from the back,” you wave your hand to the stool behind the counter as you shuffle off to pick out the right ingredients. When you return Daehyun is sitting with his back resting against the counter and nuzzling noses with the cat held closely to his chest. “You’re the only vampire she likes; she bites Himchan every time he comes in and hides from all the others.”

Your statement merely causes Daehyun to hold the feline closer and plant a light kiss between her ears. You shake your head in amusement, turning to place your goodies down you begin to hum as you set about your work. The sound of glass bottles clinking together and the purring of Daehyun’s new love are all that fill the shop for a while. Daehyun watches intently, scooting closer to watch every step, as well as to escape the slowly moving beam of sunlight that pours in through the cracks in the blinds.

In no time you finish, stopping the small glass bottle with a cork and handing it over to Daehyun. He holds the bottle up to eye level and inspects it carefully.

“Place three drops on your tongue 30 minutes before bed. It’ll keep you knocked out for a solid 8 hours,” you say with a gentle slap to his bicep.

“The color is a bit different than the last batch you mixed up for me,” Daehyun says with a slight frown.

You sigh at his thoroughness, “That’s because I had to add a few extra things to make sure you stay asleep.” Daehyun eyes you with a quirked eyebrow. You sigh again and hold up your hand in a pledge, “I solemnly swear that I did not put any flecks of silver, garlic, or anything else harmful to vampire-kind in there,” you say exasperatedly.

Daehyun gives a satisfied nod and tucks the bottle into his coat pocket, “You know I have to be careful, but you’re the only witch I trust in this neighborhood,” he laughs, stretching out his arm to squeeze your shoulder.

“That witch you dated really screwed up your trust in us, huh?”

Daehyun scrunches his nose at the unpleasant memory, “Ugh, don’t bring her up. It nearly took a month to make those spots disappear.”

You laugh loudly as you remember the stubborn spots in a less than ideal spot that plagued the forlorn vampire for weeks. He had stumbled into your shop at his wits end and begged on his knees for you to make them disappear. Ever since then he returns for random remedies here and there.

Daehyun glares, his eyes turning a deeper red. You tug on his sleeve and nod in the direction of the door.

“You should get going. Aren’t you going on a hunt tonight with the boys?”

  1. relaxes, his full smile returning and showing off his gleaming fangs. “You’re right, I should get going. Yongguk hates when I’m late, but I still always arrive before Jongup,” he grumbles as he gives the cat one last pat.

You follow him around the counter and to the door, standing outside and waving him off as he melts into the lengthening shadows. A soft meow at your feet catches your attention.

“Ah, I’m hungry too. Let’s close up for the night.”

You run back inside to grab your keys, but stop short of the door. You glance towards the darkening corners, slightly making out the small guardians of the shop as they make their way back out from hiding. A smile spreads across your lips.

“Goodnight, friends.”