Chapter 3: Regular Customer

A Shot of Espresso and a Dab of Love

After that, Bambam would come in at least once a week to the cafe. Every time he would ask for my recommendation. I was starting to run out of drinks from the menu so I started thinking of new drinks for him to try. When he ordered drinks, he would sometimes have them under the name Dabdab or Double B which I personally thought was great. Marianne didn’t think so. Before long my co-workers started calling him “my regular” and would always tease me about him. For the most part, I didn’t mind.

    “Hey, Y/N.”

    “Yeah, Mare?” I answered absentmindedly as I reorganized the lids and cups.

    “So me and Jinyoung checked out that new cafe down the street the other day.” It was a cute little shop that had been under construction for the past six months.

    “Oh yeah? How was it?”

    “Good, but get this. They had a picture of the owner at the grand opening and it was Bambam.” My head snapped up.

    “Bambam? Are you sure?”

    “Yeah. I’d recognize that dab maniac anywhere. He was even dabbing in the picture.”

    “Why would he come here for coffee if he owns his own store?”

    “Yes. It is a mystery.”,Marianne deadpanned.

    “You’re right. Maybe he was spying on the competition.”

    “You can’t be serious.”

    “You’re right. Bambam’s not that kind of person. But what else could it be?”

    “Why don’t you ask him? He’s about to walk in now.” His timing is something else, I thought to myself as I quickly smoothed down my apron and hair.

    “Wassup, Y/N?”, he said and dabbed.

    “Hey Bambam.” I replied and dabbed back.

    “What you got for me today?”

    “Um I had an idea for this frappe with sea salt caramel and a chocolate drizzle.”

    “Sounds good. I’ll try one of those.”

    “Oh ok. Sure thing.” Bambam looked at me quizzically.

    “Hey are you ok Y/N? You seem distracted today.”

    “Yeah. It’s just there’s something kind of bothering me.” I admitted as I made his drink.

    “What is it?”

    “Well I recently heard that you’re actually the owner of the coffee shop down the street.”

    “Oh yeah. I was wondering when you would find out.”, he said sounding sheepish.

    “Well why do you come here so often then?”

    “I- I wasn’t planning on telling you like this, but can you wait here for like 20 minutes? I’ll be right back I promise.”

    “I guess. I’m still working after all.” I replied, confused.

    “Oh yeah that’s right. Uh wait here I’ll be right back.”, he said before rushing out the door.

    “That was weird.”, said Marianne when he left.

    “Yeah Bambam was so flustered.”

    “Yeah that’s so unlike him. I wonder where he went.”

    “I guess we’ll find out in twenty minutes.” I said as I fidgeted with my hair.

 

    Later

   

    “It’s been twenty-three minutes and fourteen seconds. What if he got lost or something happened?”, I said fidgeting with my hair again.

    “Girl, chill. He’ll be back. Bambam is the type to keep his word. And stop messing with your hair. You’ll go bald.”

    “What? No I won’t.”

    “It got you to stop didn’t it?”, Marianne said with a grin. I threw one of the dishrags at her. She caught it smoothly.

    “Gotta do better than that.”, she said and gave me a cheeky wink. I opened my mouth to retort.

    “Oh your Prince Charming is back.” I spun around to see Bambam walking through the door with something behind his back. He still looked nervous. He cleared his throat.

    “Y/N, I know we haven’t known each other that long but I’ve really enjoyed getting to know you. I’ve never had such a great connection with someone like this before. I think we’d be a hot couple so m’lady will you do me the honors of going on a date with me?”, he said producing a bouquet of daisies. They were my favorite flowers. I remember making an offhand comment about it once.

    “I-it would be my pleasure, m’lord. But..”

    “But what?”, he said looking a little crestfallen.

    “This seems so out of the blue. Why me of all people?”

    “Why not you? You’re one of the most beautiful people I’ve met. Inside and out.” My face started to heat up.

“You really think that?”

“Of course. If it makes you feel better, I’ll tell you a secret. You know how my shop was under construction for about half a year?”

    I nodded.

    “Well a month before I was looking around the building because I wasn’t really sure if I wanted to open a shop or not. Back then there was tinted glass all around the building. As I was pondering life, a nervous looking girl walked by and was fixing her hair in the window. It looked like she was giving herself a pep talk. At the end she smiled and did like a you can do it gesture. I’m a er for a beautiful smile and it gave me the motivation to open up the shop. That girl was you.” I vaguely remembered that day. I was on my way to Spill the Beans for a job interview. I had just started university and I was new to the area.

    “Why did it take so long for us to meet then?”

    “I didn't know where to start. I was hoping that you would pass by again but you never did.”

    “Oh, I found a quicker route to the store after that.”

    “I almost gave up hope that I would see you again until I saw you in the store window sweeping. I thought fate brought us together and I was so occupied I walked into the glass.” He let out a little, embarrassed laugh.  I didn’t know what to say except for one thing.

    “In that case, I’ll see you Friday night at 7 sharp m’lord.”, I said as I did a mock curtsy.