Along for the Ride

Along for the Ride
Please log in to read the full chapter

The sun just barely woke up and the moon was slowly disappearing. Places were empty with very few around. To a usual person, it would be creepy, but for two, it was ideal.

Sera, your typical girl, has had enough of her gambler mom, alcoholic step dad, drug addict step brother, and abusive boyfriend. Her abusive boyfriend was the one that bothered her most, for he was the one who mattered the most. He was always sending her mixed signals; hurting her one moment then loving after. He has beaten her many times, but with one kiss up, she would always end up back in his arm. So why can’t she just leave him? No matter how bad he may be, he was actually the only one who can understand what she was going through.

With her duffle bag full of all the things she needed, she sits on the bench in the empty train station and waited for her train to arrive.

 

Jiwon, your typical rich boy, has also had enough of his family. Despite being the only child, he was never understood. It was always his parents who planned out his future for him. This time, he was being forced into an arranged marriage, political marriage to be exact; something he absolutely wants nothing to do with. He didn’t know where he was heading to; all he knew was that he will go wherever the train takes him.

With his backpack full of the things he needed, he sits on a bench in the empty train station next to a girl with her stuffed duffle bag.

 

Minutes later, the train finally arrived and the two got onto the train. With them taking the very first train, the only passengers, on this section of the train, were the two; which for them was no problem at all. The two took their seat assigned to them and ended up being just across from each other; Jiwon to the left of the train and Sera to the right of the train (a/n: seating: Jiwon– walkway – Sera). As they caught eyes, they lightly bowed their heads towards one another and went on doing their own thing. Jiwon pulled his hoodie to cover his eyes and went to sleep while Sera plugged her ears and also drifted off.

But Jiwon didn’t fall asleep; flashbacks were keeping him from doing so.

“Hanbin! Stop!” she managed to yelled before getting cut off by another hard slap across the face. Sera landed on the hard cold ground with a loud thud as her lips goes numb and starts bleeding. “Where did the money go?! I left them with you because I trusted you! Where did they go?!” Hanbin got on top of her and grabbed both her arms harshly, bringing her back up to face him, “Where. Did. They. Go!”

“Y-You came and took them last night after drinking with your friends,” she winced in pain as Hanbin’s grip on her arms got tighter, nails digging into her arm. “Lies!” he slapped her again, “I always remember what I do even if I’m drunk.” Sera weakly shook her head, “I-I’m not lying,” she coughed out, blood spatting onto Hanbin’s shirt. “Lying ,” he glared into her eyes and shoved her back down onto the ground as he got up, wiping her blood off his jacket with a tissue on the table. “Listen, be a good girlfriend and get me at least half the money missing and I’ll forgive you, got that?” he threw the tissue down at her and walk out the room, leaving her there weakly on the ground.

Right as Hanbin walk out of the room, he bumped into a boy with white blonde hair. The boy glanced from Hanbin to the inside of the room and got a quick glance of the girl lying on the ground. “Don’t you know how to apologize when you bump into someone and continue walking afterwards?” Hanbin quickly shuts the door as he saw that the boy was looking inside, “I’m sorry for bumping into you,” the boy did a 90 degree bow in front of Hanbin. “Good boy,” Hanbin smirked in pleasure as the boy obeyed him, “Now off and get going. And while you’re at it, learn how to walk and enjoy it. Cause next time this happens, you won’t be able to walk anymore,” he glared at the boy as the boy bowed again and walked off. “Don’t call for me unless you have the money,” Hanbin stuck his head back inside the room before leaving the place.

Sera laid on the floor helplessly as tears streamed out her eyes. She wanted to fight back but her heart wouldn’t let her; no matter what happens, she has to endure it. Hanbin was the last person she had and she couldn’t afford to lose him. Good or bad, he was the only one who understood her. ‘It’s only a bad timing,’ she hopelessly repeats to herself, once again; this wasn’t the first time and most likely not the last this will happen; but it’s the small percentage that kept her going. Tears continued pouring out of her eyes as she lay there and thought of all the good times they had back then; what happened to them? Where did the dorky Hanbin she fell for disappear to? She knew the answer though, or so she thinks; that Hanbin she fell for is buried deep inside the Hanbin was is there right now, not coming out any longer ever since his life too turned upside down.

They’re both just broken people, trying to love one another with their broken self.

She slowly sat up and looked around. This, by now, was normal for her. She grabbed onto the couch in attempt to get up, but just as she gets up, her body gave out; her vision went black and her legs gave out on her. Giving up, she prepares herself to feel the hard cold ground once again. Instead of feeling the hard cold ground though, what she felt was someone’s warm body and two arms holding onto her securely. She opened her eyes enough just to get a quick glance of a male figure with blonde hair before her body totally shuts off on her.

“Hey,” Jiwon shook her gently as she lay in his arms lifelessly, “Can you at least hear me?” With no response, and knowing for a fact that she was still breathing, he quickly plots her on his back carefully and carried her out of the guest room of the club.

Jiwon took her back home to his room and carefully laid her on his bed, careful trying not to hurt her. He took off her shoes and called for a maid to come and help her change into a new set of clothes as he walked out to go grab a bowl of warm water and small towel and called in the family doctor. Yes, he could’ve just took her straight to the hospital but with an idea on how she ended up in that condition, he didn’t want any charges towards anyone, for he didn’t want to just barge into her life like that.

Coming back in and thanking the maid for her help as she took Sera’s clothes to clean, he pulled a chair and sat beside the bed, soaking the towel in the bowl of warm water before gently wiping her face. With each wipe, he studied her – she had soft and milky skin, she had that innocent angelic face with everything about her matching up to every guy’s dream girl. Although Jiwon have never met her before, something about her told him that he had to help her and couldn’t just leave her there on the ground; there’s something about her that was drawing him in.

Early next morning Sera was awaken by the sun rays against her eyes and slight weight on her hand. She opened her eyes and found herself in an unfamiliar room. Usually she would wake up in Hanbin’s room, even if they had just finished a big fight, but this time was different. The room, for sure, wasn’t Hanbin’s; it was too bright, too empty, too neat, and too big. She turned her head towards the weight on her hand and found a blonde head laying there. Startled at what was going on, she snatched her hand away and shot up, causing a wave of pain to go through her stomach as she clutches onto her stomach tightly.

Jiwon sat up and rubbed his eyes, staring at the girl clutching onto her stomach before everything finally hit him, “Are you alright?!” although it wasn’t much of a help, he places his hand on the spot where her hand was clutching onto. “Are you in a lot of pain? What’s wrong? Mrs. Kim! Mrs. Kim!” he called out for the maid. Soon the maid came in and helps take care of Sera as Jiwon watched from the side as Mrs. Kim gently massages Sera’s stomach. “Shall I call Dr. Choi back in again?” Jiwon asked nervously. “A-Again?” Sera repeated Jiwon’s word nervously. She knew, if she was to see a doctor and they were to find out how she got into that situation, everything would be over: her relationship with Hanbin, probably her life, and most importantly, probably Hanbin’s life.

“He came by yesterday to check up on you,” Jiwon answered, “I told him you got into a fight with another girl at a club though,” he quickly added, knowing that when cases like this happens, they wouldn’t want anyone else to know about it. “I don’t want to see the doctor again though, I’ll be okay,” she slowly said, begging him with her eyes. “Promise to not get up anymore then, got that?” the maid looked Sera in the eyes sternly. Sera slowly nodded her head as the maid shook her head and walks out. “Why can’t you see the doctor?” Jiwon sat back down in the chair next to the bed, “What if your pain worsens?”

“I’ll be fine, I,” she paused and looked for a clock, finding one on the wall, “I really need to get home.” Jiwon shook his head in response, “Not until you get better.” Sera sighed in defeat and looked away. What if Hanbin is looking for her? What if he’s thinking wrong again? What if the same thing that happened yesterday happened again today when they meet? She loved him but she couldn’t handle another beating just after one. Her thought came to a halt as Jiwon’s stomach growls loudly. She turned her head and found Jiwon’s cheek burning in embarrassment, “I haven’t eaten anything since yesterday’s lunch.” Sera lightly chuckled in response, “Go eat.”

“I’ll bring you food too then, promise not to run away though, got that?” he stood up and looked at Sera for an answer. She lightly nodded her head and smiled assuring him.

Jiwon wasn’t gone for long, or so he thought, but when he got back to his room, the bed was empty with only a note and the girl gone. ‘Thank you, I’ll return your clothes later,’ was all what she wrote on the small note left behind.

 

Jiwon smiled, remembering why she looked and felt so familiar to him. He looked over at her, wanting to talk to her, but she was already asleep. Sighing and slumping back down, he heard light sobbing. He looked over and she was sobbing lightly in her sleep, tears slowly managing to escape her closed eyes. “Hey,” he went over and shook her arm lightly but it was no help. Remembering what his mom used to do for him, he wiped away her tears and gently rubbed her nose bridge.

 

Like in every other dream, Sera was running away from her family. They were fighting for her so they could sell her as a slave for money. And there was her boyfriend, stuck behind a glass wall on the sideline, unable to do anything but just watch in regret.

With eyes full of tears, all she could do was run away from them for as long as she could. “Shhh, take a deep breath, everything is going to be alright,” an unknown voice lightly called out to her. She stopped and looked around her but all she saw were her family getting closer and closer and Hanbin standing on the side just staring at her with regretful eyes. Even if the voice wasn’t H

Please log in to read the full chapter