Chapter 1

Golden Lily: A Black Lagoon Fanfiction

Rock was passed out on the couch. His head was back and he snored away. His tie was on the floor. His feet were over the arm of the couch with one shoe on and the other on the floor. His shirt was half untucked. One arm was over his chest while the other hung off the side with a bottle of Bacardi that was mostly empty.

The door swung open. “Hey Rock. Get up, we have a job!” It was Benny. Rock continued snoring away. “Rock!” Rock was out in a drunken slumber. “You and Revy need to chill on those drinking contests.” He shook Rock, but Rock only moaned and rolled over. “Common man, Dutch needs us down at the office. He’s getting everything ready to go. Mr. Chang has a job for us.” Rock let out half a groan that turned into a snore. Benny grabbed Rock and pulled him off the couch. Rock hit the ground and shouted as he woke up.

“Huh!? What the…?

“Good morning sleeping beauty.” Benny gave a cheesy smile to Rock as he lie there.

“Ugh, damn my head.” Rock sat up and held his head as the hangover hit him in full force.

“I gotta grab some things. Can you wake Revy?”

“Revy… Revy!” Rock shot up and ran down the hall with the bottle of Bacardi.

Benny looked on and then turned to his own business as he said to himself, “She really brings out his competitive nature.”

Rock slammed open the door. “Revy!” She snored away in a drunken state. The room was in its normal trashed condition with guns, pizza boxes, and bottles lying around. Bullet holes were in the wall. Her clothes were beside the bed. An empty bottle of Bacardi sat amongst the clothes. “Damn, she won again…” Then the idea clicked in his head. He swapped the bottles and then leaned up to wake her up. “Revy… Get up.” She moaned and rolled away. Rock tapped her with the empty bottle. “If I have to be up you have to be up.”

She muttered out. “ off Rock, I won fair and… zzzz.”

“No you didn’t. I won. See?” She snored away. “Revy, GET UP!”

“Go to hell.”

“Ugh… Benny said something about a job and Mr. Chang.”

Revy turned over and looked at Rock. She muttered sleepily, “Why the does Chang make all these emergency jobs so early in the morn…” Then it hit her. “You mean I get to work with Mr. Chang?”

“Maybe.”

“Alright!” She shot out of bed like a coiled spring. Rock’s face was all annoyance. In her underwear and bra, she pushed Rock aside and went for her clothes.

“Hey,” he nervously giggled. “See your bottle? Here’s mine, so I guess I won?”

“In your dreams kid, I watched you pass out and then finished mine in here.”

“No way… uh… you don’t remember.”

“Rock, it’s been over a year, do you not remember who you’re dealing with? I don’t forget my drinking nights.” She winked, and pulled up her shorts. She grabbed the bottle, opened it up, and chugged the remainder of the rum in front of Rock’s horrified face. Once she finished, she chucked the bottle and it smashed against the wall. She fastened her belt and looked up at Rock who was still starring, looking almost queasy.

“What the are you looking at? Quit gawking and help Benny before I smash that bottle over your ing head!”

“Okay, okay, sheesh.” He showed himself out and went back to the living room. He tucked in his shirt, tied his tie, found his other shoe, and attempted to straighten up. Benny came out the same time Revy did, now complete with her black top and twin holstered Cutlass pistols.

Rock looked to Revy. “Hair of the dog?”

“LET’S GO!” And she stormed out the door.

The trio climbed inside of Benny’s red GTO. He turned over the ignition as it roared to life. Rock sat in the passenger seat and Revy sprawled out across the back. Rock lit a cigarette and chucked the lighter to Revy in the back. She caught it with a snap and looked to Rock who was holding a pack of smokes back to her. She took one and the zippo lighter flicked open.

Benny shifted into first and the car rolled down the morning streets of Roanapur. The V8 engine hummed as they drove down to Dutch and the Black Lagoon. He also took a cigarette and the three quietly enjoyed a morning smoke on the short drive to the office and dock house.

As they arrived, something caught Rock’s attention. “Revy, look.”

“Huh?” She sat up. In front of the dock house were several Chinese men in suits armed with AKs. Benny rolled the GTO to a stop and a gunman stepped forward. He looked around inside the car, then nodded and pointed for where they should park. “This must be pretty in serious if Mr. Chang and the Triad are out in force like this,” Revy observed.

They walked into the dock house to find Dutch readying the PT boat. Mr. Chang was standing on the bow greeted the trio as they arrived. “And here’s the work force of Black Lagoon. Nice to see you again Rock.” He seemed very cordial, like Rock’s Japanese business counterparts from his past. Then Chang turned to Revy and smiled, “Hello Two Hands.”

Rock turned to Revy, who didn’t so much have the face of girlish delight from seeing her crush, but more of the excitement of meeting a rock star. She kept her cool as she greeted him with a, “How’s it goin’ boss man.”

Dutch looked up hearing their arrival. “Oh good, they’re awake after all. Thanks Benny-Boy.”

Benny was lifting electrical equipment into the PT Boats and down the hatch as he turned and gave a, “Sure thing Boss.”

Then Dutch turned to Mr. Chang. “May I brief my crew?”

“They’re your crew Dutch. Do as you wish. By the way, thanks for the coffee.” Mr. Chang turned and over saw the installation of RPD turrets on the PT boat while sipping a steaming foam cup.  

“Okay gang. We’ve been hired by Mr. Chang. It seems he had some merchandise stolen from him in the early hours this morning by the Columbian Cartel.”

“Oh joy, our favorite,” muttered Revy.

“Yeah, as if we haven’t dealt with them enough, anyway,” Dutch seemed to straighten up like he was briefing sailors in Vietnam. “They took off in a yacht headed north. They probably are making a run for Bangkok and the airport there. We have to catch them and retrieve Mr. Chang’s merchandise before they can off load it.”

Rock raised his hand slightly and said, “What is this merchandise?”

Mr. Chang interjected from the turret. “That’s for me to worry about Rock. Your job is to just get it and bring it back. No need for your idealistic nature on this.” Rock felt dejected, but dragged his cigarette and exhaled it out with the smoke.

“This is some serious firepower you’re hooking up here boss.” Revy said approaching Mr. Chang.

“Well we would go ourselves, but our boats don’t move like the Black Lagoon. We’ll need the extra fire power for attacking a cartel yacht. If I can save a little bit of money using my own weapons and men, then all the better for me.”

“Will you be coming along?”

“Of course Two Hands, this merchandise is very valuable to me. I need to see its safe return.”

Revy was getting excited. “So will you be part of the boarding party?”

He smiled. “Yup.”

“Alright!” Her face glistened with glee. “Someone I can work with!” Dutch and Rock just stared at her after that comment. She turned around full of herself until she noticed them. “What the you two looking at?” They both sighed. Rock went to work helping Dutch ready the vessel.

The PT boat ripped through the waves as fast as Dutch would allow it. He sat at the controls with his ear piece in, listening to Benny’s navigational instructions. Revy and Chang stood on the bow looking out to the sea. Two of Chang’s gunmen manned the two RPD turrets. Rock clung to the side of a torpedo launcher and was throwing up his hangover. Revy turned back to Rock and watched him.

“How much did he drink last night?” asked Chang.

“Well we started at it again at the Yellow Flag. Then Benny and Dutch made us go home, but I wasn’t going to settle with a tie. So we brought bottles back and kept going shot for shot until he passed out.”

Chang thought for a minute while Revy turned back forward. Her hair and his overcoat blew in the over forty knot wind. The Black Lagoon was slicing through the morning’s calm sea. “I like Rock. He’s managed to impress me a few times, but I don’t know if Ronanapur is toxic to him, or just you Two Hands.”

“Or he’s just a .”

“That’s not very nice.”

“He just doesn’t know what he wants. He clings to his ideals. He wouldn’t go home when he had the chance in Japan. He could go anywhere he wants, but he stays here. He won’t pick up a gun, but he wants to be one of us. Sounds pretty moronic if you ask my opinion.” Revy crossed her arms.

“Or it’s just you Two Hands.”

“Huh? Shut up with that nonsense!”

Chang made a growl and laughed at Revy as her face turned red and angry. Then the walkie-talkie gurgled to life. “We should be seeing the boat ahead of us now,” said Benny.

“Rock! Quit vomiting and get up here!”

He slowly strode back to Revy and Chang. “Ugh, I think it’s all out now.” He had a megaphone, binoculars, and a flare gun holster strapped around him.

“Good, maybe now you can focus.”

Rock groaned. “Oh my head.”

“Shut up Rock. Learn to handle your liquor.”

“You know damn well I can after all the drinking contests we’ve had!” He grabbed his head. “Just never the night before high speed sailing,” he moaned to himself.

“Are you two done?”

“I was done last night,” she teased.

“Revy!”

“Rock! The yacht!” Chang yelled and pointed forward.

“Huh?” He turned and saw the massive yacht on the horizon. It had three decks and must have been around 200 feet long.

Benny’s voice now crackled on the walkie-talkie. “I’ve been hailing as a Thai Navy Patrol Boat with no response.”

“Let’s see if this is them. Rock, you’re up,” said Chang. The yacht was sailing away in the direction of Bangkok. As they closed the distance, Rock fired a red flare up into the air. Meanwhile, Revy and Chang checked their pistols.

“It’s not stopping.”

“Hell yeah! I was hoping they wouldn’t!”

“Easy Two Hands.”

Chang grabbed the walkie-talkie. “Dutch, bring us up along the west side.” He handed the walkie-talkie back to Revy. Then he took out a cigarette and lighter, lighting up a smoke.

As they moved alongside, Rock used the megaphone saying, “Attention, uh, yacht?” Revy smacked her palm to her face and shook her head. “This is a Thai Navy patrol vessel. We need you to stop your present course and, uh…”

“Jesus Rock. Haven’t you figured out how to do this yet?” Revy said to herself.

Meanwhile, onboard the yacht, a Columbian Cartel soldier reported below deck to his commander about the arriving PT boat. “We aren’t stopping for anyone or anything. The Thai Navy has been paid off. If they don’t go away, blow them out of the water.”

Another soldier stepped in. “Uh sir, you might want to have a look.”

“This better be ing good, puta madre.” He walked up onto the deck and was handed a pair of binoculars.

Oh Dios mio! It’s Mr. Chang and the Triad! Wait… Two Hands Revy… Black Lagoon?! Blow those pinche ers out of the water!”

“Still nothing Mr. Chang.”

 He turned to the starboard side turret. “Fire a warning shot!” The turret swung into action. The gunner charged the gun and fired a burst across the side and passed the front of the yacht. An immediate response came in the crack of a sniper rifle. The gunner body collapsed in the turret with a thump.

“What the ?” Revy shouted. The three turned around and looked to the yacht. Then she saw it. “RPG!” The rocket fired, spiraling around before inaccurately flying over Rock, Revy, and Chang’s head and exploding in the water, splashing the trio.

Dutch’s voice crackled. “What’s going on?”

Revy squeezed the walkie-talkie. “They’re ing shooting Dutch!”

At the same time, Chang ordered to everyone, “Open fire!” The port side RPD opened up with the ripping sound of the machine gun and brass clanging on the deck. Dutch spun the boat around. “Dutch, what are you doing?”

From the helm, Dutch hollered, “Benny, I need you to come take the helm. Swing around the back and come up on their starboard side.”

“Okay boss.” Benny freed himself from his computers and ran up to the helm to take over for Dutch. Dutch grabbed his Remington 870, an ammo strap for the shotgun’s stock, and the M79 grenade launcher with a bandolier of 40mm grenades.

Dutch walked out on the deck as Benny began turning the vessel back around. Immediately a gun was pointed to his head. It was Chang. Revy gasped, but pointed her pistol at Chang uneasily. “Dutch, I normally trust your judgement, but can you explain why the ship with my merchandise is over there, and we’ve just retreated away after racing to catch up?”

Dutch’s sunglasses reflected the sunlight as he made his point. “Benny is turning the Black Lagoon around as we speak. Sitting next to an army of marksman and RPGs wasn’t doing us any good, as your man showed us.” Rock was struggling to lift the corpse out of the turret with megaphone and binoculars bonking the corpse’s lifeless head. He froze when noticed Chang pointed his pistol at Dutch. “As we approach again, Revy and I will fire into the engines and stop that yacht. We’ll pick off the men on deck and then get ready to board.”

After a tense moment, and the rear of the yacht approaching, Chang raised his pistols and laughed. “I should have known you had something planned.” He chuckled more. “You sure you we’re in the US Navy? Cause you’re a real ing pirate! And Two Hands, don’t think I didn’t catch that hesitation.” He winked.

“Uh, I just…”

“Still have some things to learn before you’re at my level.”

“Revy take the grenade launcher!” yelled Dutch. Behind them, Rock tried with all his might before he and corpse fell off the turret together. Revy holstered her pistols and took the M79 and bandolier. Dutch loaded three special black shotgun shells into the Remington.

“Just go easy with the explosives guys. Don’t damage the merchandise.”

As they approached, Revy fit a 40mm slug into the M79 and snapped it shut. Dutch pumped the Remington to chamber the first round. “On my go Revy.”

She twirled the M79 and then pointed it directly at the stern of the yacht. “You got it Dutch.”

AK fire sparked from the stern of the yacht, and Benny weaved the Black Lagoon to make them a tougher target. The turret gunner fired back, attempting to suppress the Columbian gunmen.

“Almost there…”

“Common Dutch.”

“Not yet Revy.” Dutch took aim with the shotgun. The RPD ripped and they could see the yacht’s stern getting peppered. Rock and Chang looked on.

“Dutch!”

“Not yet!”

“How much more of a clearer ing shot...?!”

Dutch clicked his ear mic, “Okay Benny, straighten out.” The charging boat stopped weaving. Dutch took careful aim. They ran right up within 100 feet of the back of the large yacht. The turret sprayed all over until it stopped.

“Reloading boss!” yelled the turret gunner. Then Dutch fired his shotgun putting three explosive rounds in a line.

“One!” Bang! “Two!” Bang! “Three!” Bang. Each shot blowing a hole in the stern of the yacht. “Okay Revy!”

“Finally!” The M79 popped and the grenade landed slightly below Dutch’s line and exploded. Black smoke erupted from the yacht and coughed and surged beginning to slow down.

“Benny!”

“On it!” The PT boat swung around the starboard side.

The gunner slapped the bolt of the RPD shut, and charged the machinegun again. He immediately opened up on the yacht either suppressing the Columbians or aiming at targets of opportunity. Revy slung the M79 opposite of how she wore the bandolier. She hopped into the starboard turret and aimed over the bow.

“Duck you mother ers!” Dutch, Rock and Chang turned and saw her and immediately hit the deck. Bullets sprayed over head as they sped passed the slowing yacht. The two gunners ripped into the yacht as cartel soldiers screamed and died from the onslaught of fire. Benny turned around the bow of the yacht and coasted down the port side. It was pure carnage and Revy had a big evil grin on her face.

Chang hollered, “I hope you two didn’t damage my merchandise!”

“I guess it depends on where the Columbians stored it,” noted Rock. The yacht slowly coasted in the water. Its engines had died. Black smoke bellowed from the stern. Benny swung around to the starboard again.

“Okay guys that’s enough!” yelled Chang.

“Cease fire!” Dutch followed. He made the corresponding hand signal. The two turrets silenced. All that was heard was the Black Lagoon’s engines as Benny moved her passed the starboard side of the yacht. Rock, Chang, and Dutch stood up and looked on.

Rock observed the damage of the yacht. It looked as if it had been Swiss cheesed. They rolled around the bow and again down the port side. They circled like sharks. No movement.

Rock let out a quiet, “Holy .”

“Yeah man, pure destruction, but be on your guard,” remarked Dutch.

“I just hope they didn’t damage the merchandise,” said Chang.

“Alright, we get it, the merchandise is important to you,” glared Rock with annoyance.

“Look kid, I know you get business, so let me put it this way. This merchandise the Columbians took from the Triad is responsible for bringing in over $7,000 a day, on a slow day. On a busy day, we’re looking at an excess of $30,000.”

“A day?”

“Per day, and not including my other business affiliations. This is straight cash daily from Roanapur.”

“Damn, how?”

“Well I didn’t want to share with you in particular Rock, but since we’re already out here…”

Dutch interrupted. “Rock get over here and help us board! Revy cover us!”

“Alright Dutch!” she said with a loud slither.

“Well, I don’t wanna get your boss angry.”

“Damnit.” Rock rushed over to help Dutch pull the idling Black Lagoon to the stern of the ship. They used the bellowing smoke as cover.  The yacht was listing slightly to stern from water that entered the blown open engine compartment. Dutch loaded up buck shot into his Remington. Rock ditched items he had been carrying.

As everyone readied themselves, Chang turned and mentioned, “We’ll need Rock on this one.”

Rock and Revy stammered with a, “What!?”

“I need all the hands I can securing the merchandise. Besides my gunner can stay here and guard the boat and Benny should anyone try an escape.”

“Oh man.” Rock lowered his head.

“You’ll be fine kind. Me and Two Hands will keep you safe,” said Chang with a cocky smile.

Dutch tied the two boats together and turned to brief everyone with, “Alright team, we’re going aboard. Let’s take it slow and check out corners.” He pumped the shotgun.

“In other words, don’t be retarded and get shot,” rebuttaled Revy.

Through the smoke, Revy, Dutch, Rock, and Chang stepped onto the battle damaged yacht. Blood and bodies lay strewn on the deck. The foursome stacked up on the door. Revy and Chang took one side while Dutch and Rock took the other. Revy nodded to Dutch who tried the door slowly and quietly. It was locked. Revy turned away towards Chang as Dutch stepped up and blasted the door and lock with the Remington. Then he kicked in the door and turned away. A hail of bullets shot from the door.

While facing Chang, Revy asked, “You got me?”

“Right behind you Two Hands.” She sprinted into the room and dodged off to the right while firing her pistols. She saw that the survivors had been waiting behind over turned tables and a bar. They turned trying to train their guns on her when Chang entered the doorway. He fired and three partially exposed cartels fell. The survivors turned and hesitated giving Revy enough time to bounce back and fire. She sprung up in the air and came down on top of a soldier. She raised her pistols outward and fired into two separate flanking soldiers. Chang fired at the remaining soldiers who stood up and trained on Revy. Finally she stood up and fired both of her pistols into her tackled victim. Chang walked in with Dutch and Rock behind.

“Nice work you two,” commented Dutch.

“You’re getting better Two Hands,” Chang served.

She smiled like a young girl and said, “And you still hold your own as always sir.” Then she turned to survey the room. A few bottles survived on a bar. “Hm, I know where I’m stopping on the way out.”

Chang’s observations were more mission focused. “There’s the staircase. I bet the merchandise is in the cargo hold below.”

Dutch declared, “I’ll go up and check the helm.”

“Once a pirate always a pirate, aye Dutch?” Chang laid out a plan. “Two Hands, you and Rock go below and find my merchandise. I’ll want to find this Columbian Cartel captain and give him a personal message from the Triad, so I’ll join Dutch.”

“in-A!” Revy paused and looked as if she sensed something.  “Hey Dutch.”

“What’s up Revy?”

“Remember what you said before we left the boat?”

“Uh which part?” He saw he eyes dart to the bar.

“Revy you just said we’d be back later,” said Rock with annoyed puzzlement.

“Well Rock, you know how I consider human resources an important part in running the crew.” He walked over to the bar. “I suppose that a swig before we part ways couldn’t hur…”

“Hold it mother er!” A soldier sprung up from behind the bar with an Uzi in hand and was just lowering it on Dutch when Revy fired. Dutch ducked as the bullet struck the soldier and he fell back screaming and spraying the bar with bullets. Bottles shattered and liquor spilled everywhere.

“Good call Revy.”

She stood there with an angry but upset look on her face. “ me! ing !”

Rock reached out, “Revy?” Then they all heard a wounded groan from behind the bar. “Oh no.”

“Don’t damage the ing merchandise!” Revy said in a loss of temper. “You just damaged my ing merchandise you Columbian !” She hopped up onto the bar and lowered her Cutlass. She stared him in the eyes before she put a round through the wounded soldier’s head. “Mother er… Rock! Let’s finish this job.”

“You guys gonna be good?” Chang inquired.

Revy reloaded and stormed off downstairs as Rock followed behind. “At this point, nothing I can’t handle.” He gave a cheesy smile and disappeared.

“They’re so cute.” Chang chuckled. “Common Dutch, let’s get up to the helm.” They ascended the steps to the top.

Below deck, Revy and Rock quietly made their way through the main corridor. There were a few inches of water on the floor. Revy stopped at the first door and put up her guns. She whispered, “You remember how Dutch did the door thing?”

“Yeah?”

“Good. You can open it and I’ll do the shooting. Got it?” With a metallic clank, he pulled the door open. Revy aimed her Cutlass pistols inside. The room was dark and empty. She stepped in and Rock followed. He felt along the wall looking for a light switch while Revy cautiously checked each corner and shadow. She saw an odd shape and pointed her pistol at it. “Come on out mother er.” The lights came on and Revy saw a green jacket with an AK and she instinctively fired.

“Revy? What are you shooting at?” Rock hollered from behind.

 Revy stood there pointing one of her pistols at a limp jacket hanging from an open locker with an AK on the locker door and a recently added bullet hole. “Ghosts.” They looked around a moment.

“This must be their armory and crew barracks,” observed Rock.

Revy looked over her shoulder to the door. “Then the opposite door is the officers’ quarters.” When the door clanked open, they saw she was right. The room was much more lavish. One of the beds had a body bleeding out on the bed with a few holes dotting the side of the hull. Occasionally water splashed in. “That’s too low of a shot from me. Chang’s gunner can chalk himself up a coward.”

“I guess that means the last door is the cargo hold.”

The door swung open and over a dozen startled women screamed from the lit cargo hold. Revy turned in to shoot but was immediately pushed down by Rock.

She groaned in frustration, “Rock, what the ?!” He stood there with his hand out motioning her to stay down. “Rock?”

Rock stood in the doorway peering into a room of a dozen or nightgown clad ladies. One of the ladies was being held by the cartel captain. He had a pistol pointed right at Rock who was caught in the open.

Donde esta puta, where’s the ?” growled the captain to Rock. The woman struggled in his arm.

“She’s right here beside me. Let’s not do anything hasty.”

“Bring her here to me. You both come in now.”

“Shouldn’t we think this through a bit? Your boat is slowly sinking, your men are dead, and we have more guns behind us. What have you got?”

The captain shouted, “Now!” Rock nodded to Revy and put his hands up slowly walking in. After a few steps, the captain continued with, “That’s close enough. Sit over there with the other s. Now come on out !”

Meanwhile, Chang had led Dutch down below deck. Chang came down first when he saw Revy against the bulkhead shouting, “How about you go yourself beaner!” He had Dutch hold his position out of line of sight with the doorway.

“Revy, what’s going on down there?” Chang raised his two pistols.

“Is that Mr. Chang?” shouted the Captain. “Chang, get the off my boat!”

Revy shouted, “The bastard has Rock! The retard got himself caught again!”

“Come in here coward!” continued the captain.

“You have some things that belong to me!” He turned to Dutch and whispered, “Smoke grenades?” Dutch nodded and took off to the Black Lagoon.

“ you, these es are mine!” The captain kept running his mouth. Chang slithered along the wall opposite of Revy.

“Eat a !” Revy shouted.

“You too ! I’ll sell you in Bangkok with the rest of them.”

“ you!”

All this while Rock sat with his head down like a prisoner. Then his moping was interrupted by a bouncing can. He looked up and saw a smoke grenade land in the cargo hold. It popped and immediately began filling the room with gray smoke. The nightgown clad women coughed as the room filled. The captain panicked and backed himself with his hostage against the back wall. He was completely blinded by the smoke.

                The captain heard gunshots in the cargo hold, but not at him. He hugged the hostage tighter to him and pointed his gun forward looking for a target. The smoke started dissipating out of the room. A shadow appeared in front of the captain. He pointed his gun at it. Then he felt the muzzles of four guns on his head.

“Go to hell,” the captain growled.

“You first,” responded Rock. The captain fired but Rock knocked his gun upwards and grabbed it. More smoke cleared. Revy cracked the captain’s head with the of her pistol and he fell as Rock took his pistol from his hand. The woman fell with him. Rock threw the pistol away and grabbed her pulling her away. The smoke now had mostly cleared. The captain opened his eyes to see Revy and Chang pointing all four of their pistols at him.

Puta madre”

“Send your bosses this message,” and Chang and Revy fired into his skull.

On the Black Lagoon, the ladies were accommodated by Dutch and Benny. Then Dutch took the helm over while Revy, Chang, and the Triad gunner finished off the yacht with an explosion on film. Rock came up to the deck after filming. The burning hulk of the yacht slipped below the water.

“That was your merchandise, a fleet of hookers? $30,000 a day?”

“Yup. These aren’t just your run of the mill Thai es though. These are an especially collected international collection of workers. Japanese, Filipino, French, American, so on. Look at it this way, they were kidnapped and we saved them. That should sit well with your ideals. I had a feeling if I told you before we took off, you would have shown resistance then and we don’t have time for that.”

Revy stepped in, “There you are hanging on the twilight again Rock. This is Roanapur we’re talking about. Besides, Mr. Chang, how did you manage to lose them?”

“It was the one smart move the Columbians made. They raided my brothel first thing in the morning, when the night’s work was done and everyone was tired. Business at a brothel is very slow at 6am.”

“Sounds like it was planned out.”

“It definitely was, and that’s why the buck doesn’t stop here. We’ll get them back for this after they see their specially made movie.”

Rock sighed heavily and went below deck to relax. A Filipino harlot, the same who was held by the captain, greeted him while a few other ladies giggled behind her. She asked “Is there any way I can repay you for saving my life?” and then winked at him. A golden necklace with a Buddhist logo hung from her neck.

Rock blushed and turned red waving his hands. “Well I, uh, maybe not, erm…” and then Revy walked in behind.

“Oh no Romeo, you can’t touch the merchandise!” Revy grabbed him by the collar. He gagged and choked as he was pulled away. He tried to smile but pulled at his collar for air as Revy dragged him off. “Get up on deck! We’ve got work to do!”

 Rock was standing on the deck of the Black Lagoon as they sailed back into Roanapur. He was staring into the blank faced statue at the mouth of the gulf as they entered. Revy was in the turret napping loudly on the RPD making up from her lack of sleep.

“Mr. Rock?” It was the Filipino.

Rock turned around to face her with a, “Huh?”

“I wanted to give this to you for saving my life.” She stuck her hand out with the gold necklace.

“Wow, what is it?”

“I don’t know where it was from originally, but I know it’s part of a treasure in my home country known as the Golden Lily.”

“How did you get it?”

She looked out to sea, and at the Buddhist statue at the mouth of the gulf. “Years ago, when I was a teenager, I met an American explorer. He was working for the Filipino Government in trying to find the treasure. In between jobs, he hired my services and companionship. I can’t say I ever took much of his story of treasure to heart, especially since always he paid in dollars. One night he came to see my boss, and asked to see me. He told me that the CIA and the Filipino Government was after him, and that he had stared at his own grave with a gun to his head before he managed to talk his way out and escape. I guess he had gotten attached to me because then he handed me this necklace. He said it would protect me, and then he kissed me. I guess he hired my bosses to smuggle him out of the country the same way that they smuggled workers in. I never saw the American again.”

“That’s quite the story.”

“Well, it obviously didn’t serve me much, as the Triad and you have protected me better than this thing.”

“Why don’t you sell it yourself then?”

“And do what darling? I already have a shelter and job with Mr. Chang. He takes good care of us. This is our way of life since we’re twelve.” Rock winced at the thought. “I’ll just lavishly spend it all at once and be back to where I am. Take it as a token of appreciation. Maybe you can do better with it.” She smiled and pushed the necklace in his hand to his chest. “And if you ever stop in,” she leaned to his ear and whispered, “I’ll give you a discount.”

Revy awoke from her nap as the boat slowed approaching the dock house. “Rock! What did I tell you about ing with the merchandise?”

The Filipino turned and made a stand. “Leave him alone you ghetto Chinese !”

Revy twitched. “Why you little , you’re as bad as Goddamned Chinglish! Wait til I…”

A weapon clicked. “Don’t damage the merchandise Two Hands.” Mr. Chang stood behind Revy with a gun pointed at her.

Revy growled as she turned to face Chang. Rock inched away from the scene in the background. “Keep your es on a leash, and maybe then they won’t stray.”

“Never took you as the jealous type Revy.” Chang smiled as he lowered his weapon. “Jealous Two Hands, who knew?” Then he started laughing. Revy growled even louder and stormed off below deck.

“Out of my way!” She pushed passed Dutch who was on their way up to tie the boat to the dock with Rock.

Chang called out to her. “Oh lighten up Two Hands!”

Afterwards, Dutch stuck his hand out to Chang. “A pleasure doing business with you. Always full of excitement.”

Chang took his hand and shook firmly. “I guess the same could be said for you Dutch. Send us the total invoice and I’ll have a courier bring you the money.” Behind them, Chang’s men removed the RPDs from the turrets and escorted the women from the boat to a pair of vans. “Rock, Benny, you take care now. Give my best to Two Hands for me too. Maybe Rock could show her how to take a joke.” He chuckled to himself again as his driver opened a door for him. He sat in the back of a black car, and they took off into Roanapur.

Benny turned to Rock, who was staring down at the necklace in his hand. “What’s that?”

“It was a ‘thank you’ gift from one of Chang’s girls. I think…” he paused and thought for a moment. “I think it might be our big break.” He clutched it firmly.

“Well whatever it was, I sure hope it was worth pissing Revy off so much. Who would have guessed she’d become so jealous of you. Who would have guessed she…”

“No Benny, I don’t think it’s that.” Rock interrupted. “I think there’s a part of her that wants to protect me, or protect my ideals. She doesn’t want me to completely fall into the darkness of Roanapur, because then I’d be like everyone else.”

“Are you sure? You guys have gotten pretty close…”

“We’re all close Benny. We’re family.”

“Wow… cornball.”

Dutch turned around with his hands on his hips. “Hey now Rock, let’s not get fuzzy on personal to working relations here.”

“As a sailor, you know a ship’s crew is like family.”

“That maybe so Rock, but we don’t walk around saying it.”

Rock sighed and thought to himself, “That’s right. Off the boat, everyone is their own person around here.”

“Now that it’s settled, as your employer, I need to look out for your well being. We’ve been out all day, and I’m sure you and Revy are too exhausted to go to the Yellow Flag again after last night. So why don’t we stay in and order some pizzas, my treat.”

Then Revy stepped up from below deck. “Sounds alright to me Dutch, especially the part where you’re buying.” She hopped off the boat and strode out of the dock house as all three looked on at her.

Benny said to himself, “These people are way too complicated.”