Naturally

Naturally

 

AN: Anyeong yeorobeun! Any JoongBo or Ssangchu fans around? Chat me up chingus! I know this is an old couple but for me they never got replaced. They hold a very special place in my heart. So here is a tribute to them~ ENJOY! Pls. share and comment your love! (To nonshippers you can still read and enjoy this Noona-Dongsaeng ship, you’ll enjoy them for sure watch them on WGM!)


 

Naturally

 

Hwang Bo Hye Jung. Hwang Buin. His buin, his lady. His wife. Once.

 

Kim Hyun Joong had met her first in a variety show. They both joined show Xman around the same time. She was beautiful there was no doubt and she was different from other girls. Definitely far from his ideal girl. So he always wondered what it was that had attracted him to her. Why were his eyes always drawn to her, catching her eyes, watching her laughter?  Just watching.

 

He was asked once who among the girls on the show he wanted to get to know. On the spot, he had blurted her name. “Hwang Bo Noona.” He was sure he had not meant that romantically then. Just that he was curious of her. She looked strong, independent, intimidating. The type of girl he did not want to meddle with. He’d always liked cute and y girls. Heer figure was unquestionable – he’d watched her dance on that small platform a few times and each time he’d stopped on his tracks to look at her closely, she was also always wearing short skirts. Then he’d wondered if she could act cute too. That’s when he caught himself, he was imagining her and relating her already to his ideal type. He decided then he should stop thinking of her even if they've parted ways on the show.

 

But luck seemed to have another opinion, he thought, when he’d met her again as his wife. They had yet again joined another program but this time they’ve partnered up to be virtually married, husband and wife. Shilang and Buin. He felt his mind hang when he saw her again after almost a year. She still had that sweet smile. He’d remind himself she wasn’t his ideal girl. She was far from it.

 

But the times they spent had got to him. Naturally.

 

It started with her vigorous laugh at whatever he said randomly, her genuine heart that cared for him, to her going with the flow at whatever he suggested. Naturally, he found himself enjoying their moments, anticipating their every meeting. Just one day, he realized she’s become an integral part of his life. Naturallly. Her fierce eyes that turn soft when she listen and talk to him, he’d miss it on days they don’t meet. Slowly, he’d forgotten he’d ever had a preference on girls. Her pure and genuine heart had touched him. He’d been caught by her charm and he didn’t want to get away from it.

 

He knew he had changed his childish ways because of her. He made sure he told her that before they part ways. How she played a big part in his life in being a better person. He thinks he'd been the best version of himself when he was with her. He’d began to care for someone else outside his friends and family. He’d let his walls down. He was sure that Hwang Bo had joined the people dear to him that know him truly as a person. He made sure she heard that from him. She was special, even to him.

 

He’d regretted their goodbye, knowing his career at acting was at stake if they continued. It was too big of a chance to let go. He'd thought hard about it, his fans everyhing he's done so far. He’d regretted things when he felt that time was running out for them, just when they got comfortable with each other.

 

It was logical that they ended it. He’d regretted every day after but he had to endure. He was once asked a year after their parting, to choose between Lee Hyori, his ideal type, or Hwang Bo, his one-time wife. It was just the beginning of his ideal type tournament and he’s immediately speechless for a moment at that question. He’d hesitated answering that, taken aback. Her name was mentioned early and it was against the one he chose as his ideal type in every show all his life.  “It feels like the final round already.” He blinked a few times, laughing. Everybody on the set had felt his hesitation and had helped him to just choose whichever. He glanced at s who hid smiles when he decided to choose his safe answer, Lee Hyori. He didn’t acknowledge their knowing stares. He didn’t have to explain anything to them, they know.

 

“So he can be a star with freedom. I let him go. It was really fun. My life is. Because of hubby.” It was a video he recorded on their last day. He wanted to keep it so he asked the PD if he can have a copy of it.

 

“So it won’t be fun anymore?”

 

“Uh-hm.”

 

“Tell me to be healthy. Bye bye and to have a big hit with the drama.”

 

“Drama, daebak! Shilang, daebak! Aja aja hwaiting!”

 

“Good.” The video cuts. He smiled watching it again. He’d always do these when he felt down, he’d relive their memories. He paused at one of their writings on the sand, it was their tradition each time they visited the sea. To write messages for each other. Her last message to him was, “I hope your love is always happy.” He stared at photo of that message of hers once more. He clenched his jaw, looking at her heartfelt message to him. She was too kind to wish that of him, he didn’t deserve it. Yet each time, he wished he was deserving of it.

 

What she wrote for him and hoped for him the in their last moments. It haunted him. As expected of her, she’d wish for his happiness. It doesn’t matter if it was with her or with someone else, she just wished his love was always happy. Her kind heart had wished that for him yet he failed to make it true. With anybody else. His love was happy with her. That was what he realized too late.

 

He remembered telling her, “If ever we do get married, I think I’ll remember this. I’ll live just like this.” That was his wishful thinking then. He was young and naïve. He realized a lot of things. The truth was, he was able to enjoy their make believe marriage because of her. It was all because of her. His wife. Hwang Buin.

 

It took him four years to regain her number he’d lost. It took him another three years to greet her on her birthday again, just like how he had a year after their virtual marriage ended. Since then he’d just kept her number saved on his phone.

 

There were days he hesitated, wanting to contacting her. When he was gloomy and alone in his house, she’d be all he’d be thinking about. He remembered their days goofing around, how she'll quickly adapt to his antiques and laughed lively at whatever weird thing he said. He can imagine her being there with him again. Too much on these thoughts, one day, he’d finally decided to send her a message, hoping for whatever.

 

She’d reply quickly. Too quickly, he wasn’t quite ready. But he smiled and bit his lip. He was excited again, for the first time in a long time.

 

Just like that they’ve naturally formed some kind of friendship since. They fell back to how they have been before. Naturally. Hanging out and just talking, they slowly formed a bond again. The first time he saw her again personally, he’d caught his breath. She was gorgeous before but she’d become even more gorgeous now. She smiled shyly at him and bit her red lip, hiding behind her cup of coffee. He’d learn to speak confidently the past few years but he found himself stuttering again in front of her, greeting at her. He almost laughed at himself if he wasn’t so nervous. “Shilang.” She called him through her laugh and he gulped.

 

“A-anyeonghaseyo.” He blurted and caught himself, he slapped his nape getting a hold of himself. “Wait a minute, why am I talking like this?”

 

She blinked at him before bursting in laughter. He paused, missing that sound. “Yah, Kim Hyun Joong ssi, why are we talking so formally?” 

 

He started laughing as well, scratching his head. He missed watching her laugh like that and he couldn’t help himself from admitting it, “I missed you. Buin.”

 

She stopped laughing hearing him call her that after a long time, it was almost foreign on his tongue as well. Yet it was endearing to say again. Suddenly, like a shot at his heart, she smiled captivatingly. “Me too. I missed you. A lot.”

 

They were friends, he’d remind himself. He’d be lying if he said it didn’t cross his mind to think more. They were in a fake marriage before, a marriage that before ending had genuine feelings invested from both sides. But every time he’d look at her laughing loudly again beside him at whatever he blurted, he’d think it was enough to just have a chance to be standing next to her again. Receiving her warm stare and caring heart. Even if it was just as friends. He was willing to take whatever she wanted as long as she stayed in his life. If it was before, when he was younger, he’d risk everything to have her as his even if it means losing her.

 

Now he’d shake his head at the thought, he would never risk losing her again.

 

--

 

Hwang Bo remembered the day he contacted her. How she felt like she’d been splashed with cold water. Like she was floating in space all this time then he finally pulled her back to earth with his gravity. She was just waiting and waiting, not knowing what it was really she was waiting for. Until then. Until he sent her a message, then she knew what it was she was waiting for. Him. It was always him.

 

If it was friendship he wanted, she’ll take it, she thought. Just to be able to talk to him and laugh with him. To be able to tell him there’s somebody there for him. That he's never alone.

 

She was honestly worried about him after hearing the past news years ago. She wanted so much to be able to help him. She knew him in those seven months and she was certain he was not that type of person. So it broke her heart to read all those hurt thrown at him and people turn on him. Thinking how he valued his career and his fans, she cried for him for nights. She wanted so much to do something yet each time she felt like she shouldn’t meddle. Reminding herself that they weren’t in that kind of relationship. It shouldn’t be her business. Yet when she was alone in her house, she thought of him. She remembered their time together, how happier they were together than apart.

 

She left Korea wanting to forget those thoughts, knowing she can’t do anything about it, to finally be free of thoughts on him. She went to live in Hong Kong for a while.To start anew. She thought experiencing new things would leave her mind off of him but it didn’t. Trying new things, only made her want to experience it with him. And she realized she couldn’t remove him from her life. It’ll be like a big black hole that can never be filled by anybody else.

 

Without the need to think it through, she grabbed the chance of friendship with him. She didn’t care anymore. It’s where she felt alive.

 

--

 

They spent most of their free time together, with friends or just the two of them. Their friendship had taken a level higher as time passed by and they spend more times alone together than with friends, they were much aware of the development. Hwang Bo smiled remembering how he’d taken her to watch his football game last weekend. She felt all giddy remembering how handsome he looked playing. She couldn’t help herself from cheering him on, “Go Shilang!” He scoffed at her then, hiding a small smile and giving her a tiny wave.

 

She snickered to herself remembering that as she stirred her tea. Naturally, they just started to call each other like before. Buin and Shilang, wife and hubby. It made her happy. It was a cold night tonight as she lounged on her sofa alone. Her house felt empty nowadays when he was not around. They’d taken a liking to spending time together in each other’s home, it reminds them of the past and times they’ve spent together.

 

“I miss you.” She said to no one as she looked at the drops on her windows.

 

Her phone suddenly rings and she just knew it was him. There was a rustle at the other end. “Hello?” She sipped her tea.

 

“Buin.” She felt his endearment in that word the monotone he always used. She’d come to recognize those small things now.

 

She started drawing circles on the pillow. “Mm? Where are you?”

 

“Going home. Quite near your place.”

 

“Really? Did you drink?”

 

“A little.”

 

Hwang Bo got bolted up. “Hey, are you driving?”

 

“Mm.”

 

“Just come over, then.”

 

There was silence. “Alright. Be there in five.”

 

Hwang Bo let down her tea as she rushed to her door when he knocked. Opening the door, she welcomed him with crossed arms, “I told you not to drive when you’re out drinking.”

 

Hyun Joong just looks at her before getting in, letting out a small chuckle, “Okay.” He gently reached out to the back of her neck, squeezing two times. He’d develop a habit of touching her affectionately nowadays and it made Hwang Bo’s heart skip a beat each time.

 

He went straight to her sofa and crashed down. “I think I’ll sleep here tonight.”

 

Joy filled Hwang Bo’s heart as she calmly walked towards him. “Really?”

 

“I’m tired.”

 

Hwang Bo crouched down to peek at him, “Are you okay?” She was touched that despite his busy schedule he still found time to visit her and spend time with her.

 

Hyun Joong peeked at her through one eye, he caress the back of her head again and smiled a little, seeing the worried look she was giving, “Yeah.”

 

He closed his eyes again, sobering himself up, “Do you have something to do tomorrow?”

 

Hwang Bo started tapping her fingers on his stomach, “Let me see. Just an errands on the shop.”

 

“Call. I’ll drive you.”

 

“Chincha?”

 

“Mm. Just let me sleep here tonight.”

 

Hwang Bo laughed in disbelief. Of course she’d let him sleep over, he didn’t need to do anything to be granted that. But she wasn’t complaining if it means she get to spend more time with him.

 

She pats his chest and gets up. “Remove your shoes. I’ll cook you some soup.”

 

There was a rustle.

 

“Thank you. Buin.”

 

She stopped after hearing that, she can’t help the smile that played on her lips.

 

--

 

Hyun Joong was lazily lounging on his sofa when he heard loud knocks on his door. His brows furrowed, quite sure who it will be. He looked at his manga before putting it down, an impatient voice rang on the other side. “Shilang!” Three knocks followed.

 

It was supposed to be his rest day. She must have other plans for it, he sighed and opened the door. She quickly dodged under his arms and entered. Hyun Joong blinks at the flash of her clothes and scrunch his eyes. “What’s this?”

 

“Let’s watch a movie!” She holds up a plastic of beer and chicken. It was her favorite bonding time with him. Though she always fell asleep in the middle of the movie and he in turns, get caught up and finish it. He just knew how this night would end.

 

He shook his head and eyed his manga on the coffee table then back at her. Hwang Bo smiles sweetly, “Eyy, Shilang!” she pleaded and wiggled making Hyun Joong break into a smile. She knew how to push his buttons now with sudden cute acts. He was losing a lot of battles recently because of it.

 

“Your clothes…” He trailed off as he eyed her disapprovingly. She was wearing revealing clothes again, a tube top and a jacket over it. He was thankful she was wearing long baggy pants at the bottom. He’d had headaches before looking at her much worse choices of clothes.

 

Hwang Bo smiled as she turned around. He always reprimanded her on what she wears but never really stop her from wearing them. She enjoyed his little protective side. She sometimes intentionally wear revealing clothes to see it. She peeked at him and posed ily, a seductive glare.

 

Hyun Joong just stares at her then turned around, fake sniffing and busies himself in the kitchen. Hwang Bo snickered, eyeing his small blush. “Psh.”

 

“Did you come from drinking?” He peeked a look at her.

 

Hwang Bo nodded, they’ve developed this routine - they go out drinking with their respective friends but at the end of the day, when it’s dark, they seek only of each other so they visit each other’s houses. “I drank a little.” She said as she disappears into his room.

 

“Shilang, where are my clothes?” By that she meant his clothes she always borrow. A big shirt from him and his boxers.

 

“In the dryer.”

 

--

 

Just as he predicted, halfway through the movie, when he was already so engrossed in the storyline, she got knocked off herself. He glanced sideways and she was already asleep still holding chicken and beer in her hands.

 

He just stared at her dozing off with open. “What am I doing with this ahjumma?” He muttered as he takes the chicken and removes the beer from her hand. He took one of her hand and wiped it clean.

 

Hwang Bo squints her eyes open. “Shilang.”

 

“Mm?” He took her other hand and wiped it.

 

“Is the movie over?”

 

“Nope.” He wiped and chin.

 

“Is it not? Okay, I’ll just sleep for a while. I’m so tired.”

 

Hyun Joong just watched her lie down and curl her legs, noting that it was her that wanted to watch. He scratched his head and returns to the movie, he was getting curious about the ending anyway. He looked at her already fast asleep again. He smiled and shook his head as he started humming a little and patting her thigh affectionately.

 

“Rest well. Buin.”

 

--

 

Hwang Bo stretched her arms as she was awoken by the first rays of sun, her legs rustling against the blanket. She was on his bed, she’d noticed. He’d always carry her to his bed when she’d fallen asleep on his couch. She glanced at him sleeping soundly on the ground. She smiled he looked so cute and angelic.

 

Sliding down to him, Hwang Bo called out, “Shilang.”

 

“Mm.” He made a sound through his sleep.

 

“Get up, sleep on the bed.”

 

“Hmmm.”

 

“Cmon.” She pulls him up with all her might and little effort from him. She successfully gets him on his bed but she was suddenly pulled down to lie beside him. Hwang Bo rolled her eyes as she obliged and laid her head down, facing him.

 

She reached out a hand and pats his face gently, “Shilang.”

 

“Mn.”

 

“Shilang.”

 

“Mm.”

 

“Shilang..”

 

Hyun Joong opens his eyes in a half squint, raising his eyebrows that kept furrowing. “Mm?”

 

Hwang Bo bit down her smile. It had been one of her achievements to get him to open his eyes without tickling him. All she had to do was call out to him. He was too adorable now looking so sleepy. “Nothing.”

 

Hyun Joong opened both his eyes and checked on her a little, wondering if there was something wrong and then closing his eyes shut immediately after confirming there wasn’t. “Mm… okay.” He said in a slur as he started to pull her to him, his arms gently snaking her waist.

 

Hwang Bo smiled and lets him, cuddling closer, hugging him back. It felt warm and sweet. It was perfect.

 

“Stay,” He murmured on her skin.

 

Hwang Bo smiled contentedly, her breathing in sync with his.

 

“Buin.”

 

He buries his face on her neck. His lips warm on her skin.

 

Just like that, everything fell back together. Perfectly. Naturally.

 

-

-

-

 

Shilang, I hoped your love is always happy. I never knew I’d be happy with you in that love. I’m glad.

 

Buin I felt like I was lost and wandering all along. Seeing you again, I think I got home.

 

-

-

-

-

-


AN: I finished it! And I’m still gonna edit some in the future, just a warning. I just wanna share this quickly. I still miss them and I hope I honored this pairing with this one shot. Hoping for the best from these two, I’ll be watching them closely. And hoping to write more for them! Please show some love juseyo~ follow me on twitter @k0mely, ciao~