Arrival

Bargained For (Strike A Deal Sequel)

Never in his entire existence did he truly believe happiness existed. Yet as each day passed he found a joy that reached the darkest parts of his soul and filled them with warmth and light. His beautiful child that would be due any day now. His perfect little world had finally become a reality. His true love was his, and his child was due any day now. 

His dismal and cold Underworld had transformed into the world suitable for his wife and his child to live. Gardens now filled with fruits and flowers both of the above world and underworld. Harsh and dreary settings were brightened in the King’s home, thanks to his wife and some of his brothers’ helpers. The lower levels of the Underworld would be kept away from his wife and his family. He could keep his business separate. The once cruel  King of the Underworld had now found himself not torturing for sport or killing out of pure whim. He had a purpose now. He had a family. He had finally found happiness. Never once in all his years of existence did he ever believe that he could feel like this. Never once did he believe the word perfection would describe his life. But, here he was. Hades, King of the Underworld,  perfectly content and perfectly happy in his own perfect world with his perfect little family.

Your hand rubbed your growing stomach as you hummed softly. How beautiful you are and without even knowing it, he mused. Maybe even more so now that you were carrying his child. For the months that had passed he watched your stomach swell with his anxiety for your well-being. There was half a god inside of you, after all. He had no idea what kind of effect that would have on a mortal.  His darkest fears always spurred to life as your stomach grew, he could control himself, but your child was a different story. The unknown was haunting him and no matter how excited he was to have an heir to his kingdom and living proof of his love for you, he worried. How could he ever love anything that had harmed you?

“Your Excellency, the fates have arrived.” One of his minions announced.

A nod and a wave of his hand given in acknowledgement.  His thumb against your cheek. His eyes staring longingly, he hated leaving you alone. He especially hated leaving you when you were so close to birthing his child. He worried that in his absence some unforeseen event would take you away from him. But this meeting was of vital importance, this meeting was about you.

“Business awaits, my love. Please go rest,” he urged.

“You mustn’t worry so much, husband. We’ll be fine. Go take care of business and then we can rest if it really bothers you so,” you smiled reassuringly, kissing his cheek gently.

A stubborn huff left him, but he agreed. The fates were waiting.

He grimaced, coming face to face with three distorted figures after being graced with your beauty. It was said that each wrinkle on their haggard bodies was another part of wisdom. The ever so wise fates had been graced with his presence.  Bumbling along and muttering to each other, he wondered how long this urgent deal would take. For women so wise, they seemed foolish to be wasting his time.

A slam of a dimly lit vile on the table in the centre of the room seemed to focus the three.

“As discussed, my part of the bargain… souls ripe for your whims”

“Patience…”

“I’ve given my side of the bargain, now speak.” He barked. “Tell me. What does the future hold for my wife and I. Our family.”  

One of the three hags gasped, unfurling string from her finger. “Immortality runs through her veins. Survival of psychical battles she can conquer, if she is determined.”

The next fate took the string from her, it between her bony fingers. “Beware. There is danger ahead. Her past brings too much peril to her future.”

He stared confused. What past did his wife have? Did she lead some sort of dangerous life before he had met his sweet lover? No. It did not sound true. Nothing would harm her.

“You haven’t much time left. Your destinies are intertwined. Another. Another is coming. Be wary, Hades. Your choices now determine the chaos that will be unleashed.”

Chaos. Another. Danger. Could they possibly be speaking of his child? The fates albeit were often correct in their predictions; their realities, once set in motion, could not be changed. Not even by his brother Zeus himself.

The doors to his meeting chambers slammed open. A minion panted in its opening, “Sire. The baby.”

A distant groan of his beloved was all that echoed in his ears as he ran to you. Yelling to his minions to call the nymphs and his brother for help. He thought of nothing else but you as he ran to your side, lifting you into his arms and helping you to your chamber.

The baby was coming.

-

He wanted nothing more than to barge through the door and end the screaming that echoed throughout his kingdom. He couldn’t seem to get his usual joy out of a person’s screams. Not now. Not when it was his wife who was in so much pain. He would’ve killed anything that made his wife pained, except this was his child, his heir, his precious reminder of his love with his wife. A perfect little flower that was equal parts you and equal parts him. Secretly, he hoped that your child would resemble you, your kindness, your beauty, everything he loved about you.

Various nymphs were keeping you well tended to and yet, he worried. It was dangerous, it was rare, humans were not meant to hold a child that was part god, who knew if the child would inherit some kind of twisted power. What if his child was full of evil gifts that killed his wife during the labor? His heart lurched and he truly had to hold himself back from ripping the door off its hinges.

His wait was soon cut short, a crying breaking his rhythmically paced footsteps. A nymph shortly appearing through the newly opened door.

“How is she? How’s the baby?”

The nymph said nothing, simply gesturing inside.

His heart thudded rapidly against his ribcage. It was his first time seeing his child. It didn’t matter to him if the baby looked more like you or him, if his godly genes somehow cursed the child, or even what gender the child was… all he wanted was for the child to be healthy.

Ravi’s breath caught in his throat, his body froze, and his eyes teared over. There you were, very exhausted and covered in sweat, but glowing with happiness. Cradled in your arms was the most beautiful child he had ever seen, even if he did say so himself. His little princess. What a breathtaking sight, his Queen and his little Princess. He was truly bewildered, how could he who was once a sad, cold-hearted and cruel being be blessed with such a beautiful family? He stepped closer, sitting by your side. He pressed a kiss to your temple, pushing a few sweat filled strands of hair from your face. You had just given birth and yet you still looked ethereal in his eyes. All the breath was knocked out of his body as he looked down at his perfect child. Tiny little hands clung to nothing as they balled into fists experimentally. An adorably small nose that crinkled as she wriggled about in your arms. She truly looked like you, your perfect lips and your cute nose that he loved so much. His daughters’ eyes had yet to open but he hoped they were as beautiful as yours.

“Thank you for bringing her into the world, my love. She’s beautiful… just like her mother.”

“C-Can I hold her?”

“Of course you can, she’s your daughter after all.”

“What if I hurt her? Or-”

You hushed him tiredly, gently passing your baby into his arms. She looked so tiny in his arms, she seemed so content there, snuggled up into her father’s arms. He pressed a feather-light kiss on her forehead. His arms tensed and he kept her embraced in his arms as if she were the most delicate thing in the world. The sight would make anyone’s heart melt.

For minutes on end, he just stared in complete awe. How had you both made someone so perfect? He was in love all over again. He had never felt this kind of love before, the love a father had for his child. A love so strong that he would destroy the entire world if anything hurt his daughter.

His daughter. He just couldn’t believe it.

“Husband” you croaked out, the exhaustion getting the better of you. “What shall we name her?”

For months you had discussed baby names, never quite agreeing or settling on a name for your child. He scoured his brain for names that he had been particularly fond of during the centuries but only one came to mind, a name he had never heard before but yet it was screaming to be chosen as he looked upon her.

“Yina,” he breathed out.

You looked at him curiously, repeating the name yourself. Truly there wasn’t anything like it, yet it seemed to fit her perfectly.

“It’s unique and beautiful, like our daughter…Just saying the name brings joy.”

A smile made its way through your tired features. 

“Our precious Yina.”