Stand by me

Stand by me

"If he is not my group member, I don't want to see him ever again." The words left Sunggyu's mouth without filter, leaving the rest of his group members flabbergasted. Luckily the subject of their discussion was not there. However, fate seemed determined to prove Sunggyu wrong.

 

If he was asked when it all started, Sunggyu could never answer it. Was it the moment Woohyun became his roommate? Sunggyu remembered the day like it was yesterday. The small room with two mattresses that they shared for years before moving into a large flat. The mornings where he would find himself tucked comfortably in Woohyun's arms. They never talked about it. When one of them woke up, they would simply woke the other and acted like nothing happened. After half a year of waking up sharing the same pillow, one night, Woohyun simply put out one mattress that they shared together for the next two years.

 

Perhaps that was the first time people questioned their relationship. Amazingly, it came from Sungjong. Sunggyu was not particularly surprised considering how many times Sungjong had woke them up entwined with each other half . But Woohyun's answer surprised him the most.

 

"Hyung...are you and Sunggyu hyung...dating?" Sunggyu turned around sharply from the sink and looked at Sungjong. He and Woohyun were cleaning up the dishes when Sungjong suddenly dropped the question on them. He expected Woohyun to blush and stammer his explanation but Woohyun simply laughed until he started tearing up.

 

"Me..me me...and Sung-Sung..Gyu!" Sunggyu rolled his eyes and slapped Woohyun's back, a bit harder than necessary but Sunggyu felt it was warranted.

 

"We're not... not dating! That is the funniest thing I've ever heard!" Woohyun wheezed his answer and proceeded with telling the rest of the group about Sungjong's joke. Sungjong turned to look at Sunggyu with wide eyes and he simply shook his head.

 

"Not. A. Word."

 

Sunggyu remembered the second time the question of their relationship was brought forward. It was after the fan meeting in Japan. He didn't exactly sure what happened that led to the two of them being summoned to the CEO's office but he remembered the look in the CEO's eyes when he asked them.

 

"Tell me the truth, Sunggyu, Woohyun...are you two...together?" He leaned forward to look into their eyes. Sunggyu thought maybe he tried to look threatening but instead he looked like a bird. Once again, Woohyun laughed and wrapped his arm around Sunggyu's shoulder and pulled him close.

 

"Sunggyu and I...we are...best friends." Sunggyu really didn't think the kiss on the cheek after the declaration was necessary or even remotely showed that they were just friends. The pitying look on their CEO's face was enough to wipe away the small ball of happiness that appeared from the kiss.

 

After that, Sunggyu tried to pull away from Woohyun. But the more he tried, the closer Woohyun clung to him. Those little touches, the neck rub, the little kisses on the cheeks. At first, it was for camera, but before Sunggyu knew it, the skinships happened almost all the times.

 

The fans soaked in their closeness and the members pushed them together. After the pitiful attempt of moving into another flat which was a failure as Woohyun simply spent the nights in Sunggyu's bed, Sunggyu resigned to his fate.

 

He accepted Woohyun's touches, sometimes he initiated the skinships himself. But he knew that it wasn't love. They were not dating, they were simply there for each other.

 

Their first kiss was during Sungyeol and Myungsoo's engagement announcement. Sunggyu was happy for s, he really was. But he was happier when Woohyun jumped into his arms and pressed their lips together. It was a shy, chaste kiss which lasted less than two seconds but Sunggyu never tasted anything better. He knew then that Woohyun's kiss had ruined him for others. Of course the kiss brought back the dating rumours but  this time, they had the decency of not asking him outright.

 

Sunggyu simply heard Sungyeol's question of whether they could have the weddings together before Myungsoo smacked him on the head and pulled him away. He smiled a sad little smile as Woohyun pulled him to congratulate the couple.

 

The first time they made love, it was after a concert. With adrenaline running high in both of them, they simply fell in bed together. Woohyun kissed like he wanted to devour Sunggyu whole. He worshipped Sunggyu's body like it was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. That night, the little bit of hope in Sunggyu died.

 

That wasn't the last time they made love but neither of them said anything about it. If anyone asked about their relationship, Woohyun would laugh and said they were simply best friends. When the members moved into their own apartment, Woohyun moved into Sunggyu's place and stayed.

 

Sweaty and sated, Sunggyu and Woohyun laid side by side, not touching. Their lovemaking had always been intense but that night, it was tinged with desperation. Sunggyu feared it might be the last time he could see Woohyun at the throes of passion like that and savoured every moment of it.

 

"My parents are asking me about marriage..." Woohyun's voice in the silence started Sunggyu. He turned away as Woohyun left the bed, sure that his little slice of happiness is ending. As he indulged in a little pity party, Woohyun pulled his right hand and slid a ring onto his finger. Sunggyu turned sharply  and looked at the ring on his finger.

 

"So let's just get married." 

 

Sunggyu shook his head as he remembered that proposal six months ago. He would have thought he was dreaming if not for the ring on his finger and the whirlwind of wedding preparations that filled his days after that. He couldn't help the feeling that something was missing but he convinced himself that he was not greedy.

 

"Hyung..." Sunggyu turned to look at Woohyun, standing there in his wedding suit with a nervous look on his face.

 

"What are you doing here? You know we can't see each other before the wedding."

 

"I got something to say." Sunggyu blanched and almost flinched away as Woohyun took his hands. Sunggyu was scared that this was the moment that everything would fall apart.

 

"For years, I said that we are not together. That we are best friends. That there was no way for me to love you. And in all those time, you stand by me. For me, love was like an explosion. I waited to feel that, the feeling of love filling my heart for someone. But I've never found it." Sunggyu turned his face away but Woohyun pulled him back to look into his eyes.

 

"You taught me how to love. You taught me that love can be silent, love can be in those little touches, the kisses we shared when no one was looking. You taught me of the love that was waiting. I might be a bit slow but I got there finally." Woohyun smiled as he wiped away the tears that Sunggyu didn't realise had fallen.

 

"Thank you for standing by my side as I learned what love is. Thank you for teaching me how to love. But most of all, thank you for loving me." As Woohyun's lips touched his, Sunggyu realised this was what he was waiting for.

 

"Who said that I love you?" Sunggyu whispered against Woohyun's lips and felt a smile.

 

"Who said that I love you too?"