My Neighbour, My First Love

Artist & Artiste

Chapter 3: MY NEIGHBOUR, MY FIRST LOVE

 

“Don’t cry.” Ren whispered into Rumi’s ears as they hugged each other at the shoe locker. Their silhouette was seen from the entrance of the school, having a romantic vibe around them. Rumi shook her head strongly to forget about the incident.

 

“Good morning,” Miki greeted her as she sat down beside her. Rumi, who was in the midst of sketching, looked up at her and smiled. “That book…” Miki trailed off as she stared at the familiar A4-sized blue sketchbook.

 

“This book was left by my father before he went overseas for a job. Until now, he hasn’t come back…” Rumi hugged the book tightly.

 

“Hmmm, I just added the value of the book then. Since, I was the one who found it.” Ren sat in front of Rumi with a smirk. Rumi immediately opened her eyes and blinked at him for several seconds.

 

“Why are you here?” Rumi jumped in surprised.

 

“I’m hurt. Can’t I see my beloved girlfriend?” Ren gave a pair of pitiful eyes and acted cutely. “Besides, didn’t we made progress the other day? I thought you would accept my confession.”

 

Rumi blushed and looked around. Girls were gritting their teeth and scowling at her. “Anyway, what about your class? Why is it that you are always here alone? Don’t you attend the same class as the rest of the members?” Rumi quickly changed the topic.

 

“Eh?! She didn’t know?” Ren asked as he looked at Miki.

 

Miki shook her head and sighed. “Rumi doesn’t really follow nor have any interest in celebrities. She doesn’t know what kind of class you guys will attend either.” Rumi looked at the both of them quizzically and dazed.

 

“Akira and I are mostly in the same class. We are majors in singing, guitars and production. Naoki majors in drums and creating of lyrics while Ikuto majors in bass, keyboards and arrangement of our music. At times, we will have modeling, dancing and recording together but that is really seldom. Then at work, we will be together to piece our music.” Ren explained.

 

“Hmmm, I didn’t know you guys are busy. Then why do you have the time to come here?” Rumi narrowed her eyes at him.

 

“Like I said, I just want to see you.” Ren smiled innocently. The warning bell sounded and Ren stood up, waved goodbye, “I’ll see you during lunch!” and he left.

 

Birds were chirping happily across the clear blue sky without a single white cloud and students were running around the field for soccer. Rumi was looking up into a sky and a strong cool breeze blew her face. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and smiled.

 

A strummed of a guitar sounded and Rumi turned towards Ren. He smiled at her and played a song while the rest of the members sang along. Rumi pulled her legs closer to herself and smiled as she started sketching them onto her blue book. Miki sat next to her and whispered, “You are in a good mood today.”

 

Rumi nodded, “He is coming back today from America! It’s been three years since I last saw him. I have to get a present for him later, so I won’t be able to head home with you today!”

 

“I see. I’m happy for you! Send my regards to him and let me know how he is doing!” Miki grinned delightfully. Ren and Akira silently watched Rumi cheerily talking to Miki with a pang of jealousy in their chest.

 

“That’s all for today, class. You are dismissed.” Sensei announced as the bell chimed throughout the entire school.

 

Rumi dashed out of the classroom after bidding farewell to Miki and accidentally bumped into Akira who was waiting for her at the door. “Ah, I’m so sorry!” Rumi bowed as she apologized.

 

“I’m fine, don’t worry. Say, I was wondering if you would like to stay awhile to hear us practice for our latest song.”

 

Rumi looked uncertain and troubled. Miki noticed Akira talking to Rumi and said, “Rumi, you will be late. Aunty will be angry if you don’t go home now.” Akira glared at Miki and she sweated nervously at him, knowing about their intention of stopping Rumi from going home but was ruined by her.  

 

“I’m sorry, Akira-kun. I really need to go.” Rumi apologized once more and dashed.

 

“Sorry, Yukimura-kun, please let Rumi go. She’s anticipating for his return since three years ago and today is the day of his arrival from America.” Miki said as she waved goodbye to Rumi.

 

“Who is this guy? What is he to Rumi?” Akira asked in frustration.

 

Miki smiled at him, “Rumi’s first love. He’s her neighbor.”

 

“Ding dong,” Rumi pressed the doorbell of an apartment with a name plate “Ogata” at the door. She waited patiently as she held both a shopping bag from the fashion store and her school bag in her hands. She pressed again and waited. A tall, slender male with short, straight and disheveled brown hair and a pair of black glasses, opened the door. He had a towel around his shoulders and wore only a pair of shorts. Rumi stood dumbfounded as she stared at him in awe.   

 

“Rumi-chan?” his low and husky voiced sent shivers down her spine and made her whole body hot.

 

“Yes! Um… Welcome back, Daisuke-san.” Rumi stammered as her face grew redder at each word.

 

“Just call me Dai-chan like you used to. Come on in.” He smiled and invited her into his apartment. Rumi stood at the door and looked around to see the house was spick and span. She then turned her attention to Daisuke who was in his room putting on a plain grey tee shirt.

 

“Why are you standing there? Come in and sit down. I’ll prepare tea for you.” Daisuke gestured to the living room while walking into the kitchen.

 

“Then, pardon me.” Rumi mumbled. She laid her bag and the gift next to her while she sat at the coffee table. Daisuke came out with a cute pink cat-shaped cup of ice lemon tea and a bowl of chocolate biscuits. Rumi’s chocolate brown eyes sparkled with delight when she saw the snacks. “You still remembered my favourite cup and snack!”

 

Daisuke chuckled and leaned slightly towards her at the table, “Of course, Mom hasn’t throw your favourite cup and she always leave some snacks for you just so that you can come over anytime.”

 

Rumi smiled sweetly at her snacks. “Oh yes, here is a gift for you. Congratulations for graduating university!”

 

“Thank you. You shouldn’t have wasted your money. Can I open it?” Daisuke accepted the bag from her and she nodded. He pulled out a neatly packed packet and unwrapped it. A beautiful ocean blue checked collar shirt was pulled out and he placed it on himself. “Check it out, it’s cool!”

 

Rumi giggled and covered her beet red face in happiness. Daisuke sat next to her and hugged her tight. “Thank you.”

 

Rumi’s heart beat loudly and she started to feel slightly dizzy. Oh no, what should I do? My heart is beating so loudly that I could hear it. Pretty sure he could hear it too… Ah, I’m so happy and embarrassed! My head is spinning!

 

“Rumi-chan?” he called out again and she blinked. “Are you alright? Your face is really red. Do you have a fever?”

 

Rumi shook her head, “I’m fine. I think I better go, I need to cook dinner tonight. What are you going to about your dinner?”

 

 “Hmmm, I thought of eating out.”

 

Rumi stopped for a while to think. “How about coming over to have a meal? I’m super Mother and Kyoko will be happy to see you.”

 

“Sure, why not you head back first while I clean it up.” Daisuke said as he stood up, reaching for the cup. Just then, their hands touched and Rumi pulled her hand back.

 

“I’m so sorry, I thought of cleaning it up since I came here unnoticed.” Rumi tried her best not to blush as she picked the bowl up and headed into the kitchen together with Daisuke.

 

They cleaned the table and Rumi picked her bag up but Daisuke was behind her, trying to reach for her bag. His warm breathe hit her neck and made her turned around immediately. Unfortunately, she lost her balance and at the same time, Daisuke tried to pull her up to prevent her from falling but was too late. Both fell onto the ground with Daisuke on top of Rumi.

 

There was a moment of silence and Rumi inhaled Daisuke’s scent. She wrapped her arms around her neck and Daisuke stared deeply into her chocolate brown eyes that was filled with desire. Rumi closed it and placed her chin up, wanting a kiss.

 

However, Daisuke simply quietly sighed, “I’m sorry.”