Chapter Two

'Till Our Final Breath

Time passes differently in battle, any warrior will tell you that. Though, many differ on exactly how. Some say incredibly fast, while others debate on how utterly slow everything becomes.  

For Minhyuk and Kihyun, it feels to be the latter. Much to Kihyun's dismay, as he'd been praying for this all to end quickly. Alas, his prayers aren't answered, as every hit they exchange seems to land against the other in slow-motion. 

This kind of battle is a mindless game for Kihyun, as he acts purely on instinct. He ducks, maneuvers, and parries every attack with some block or another, and retaliates full-force. It allows his thoughts to wander, and wander they do, all those years back to when this first began for the two... 

 

Minhyuk had changed so much throughout the years, had been changed by all the heartbreak and grief. He used to be so bright and caring, and, even though Kihyun would never have admitted it before the incident, he'd relied on his same-age friend more than any other. 

"That idiot," Minhyuk had grumbled one early afternoon, stomping in exasperation on his way out the campus post office. Kihyun had hurried after him while doing his best to make it seem natural, sighing tiredly at his friend and roommate. 

"It's fine, Minhyuk-ah," Kihyun had tried to console him. Minhyuk spun around then, his eyes alight with indignation. 

"It's the complete opposite of fine!" he'd burst out. A couple passersby glanced their way as they scurry along, causing Minhyuk to sigh in defeat and sink onto the nearby bench which hung off the wall. Kihyun pursed his lips and sat beside him, petting his hair. Minhyuk had leaned into the touch, much like he would always do, and closed his eyes. 

"We'll go see her tomorrow afternoon," Kihyun suggested, dropping an arm around Minhyuk's shoulders and pulling him close. "I'm sure it isn't as bad as the letter said... You know doctors always have to exaggerate to get most people to come in and see their loved ones, anyway. You'll see. Your mom will be just fine tomorrow." Minhyuk had released a small, dark chuckle, one so different from his usual intoxicating laughter. 

"I hope you're right..." 

Kihyun hummed under his breath, not giving an outright answer. What could he have said? That he's absolutely positive that it isn't the cancer eating away at her brain, but just a simple headache? A clot, maybe? 

He would have if he could've done so without it sounding like such an obvious lie, but Minhyuk had always been able to see through his bull... 

 

A genuine yelp of pain slips passed Kihyun's lips as Minhyuk lands a solid hit against his jaw, anchoring him back to the present. He's sent flying into the nearest street pole, knocking it clean out the pavement. Minhyuk swoops down and picks him up by the collar only to toss him into an alley, worry shining in his eyes. 

"You okay?" he asks hurriedly in hushed tones, breathing heavily as he gingerly reaches towards Kihyun. Kihyun gives a small grunt in reply, setting a hand against the spot that's sure to bruise tomorrow as he moves around his jaw to make sure it isn't dislocated. He glances up after a quick assessment to see Minhyuk watching him with indescribable regret... a feeling he knows all too well. 

He tries for a small smile, shoving his hair back with a small huff. 

"I'll be better once this is all over," Kihyun finally says. Minhyuk visibly relaxes, letting out a shaky chuckle.  

"Well then," he says tiredly, "we'd better get back to the show..." Kihyun nods, stepping forward. He can't keep himself from  Minhyuk's cheek. The slightly-older's eyes flutter shut much like they used to back in the day, and Kihyun's heart almost stops at the familiar sight. 

Guilt bites at his heart when he has to er-punch him immediately after... 

 

Changkyun rushes around with the crowd on the sidelines of the battle, watching unblinkingly as his hyungs go at it like they never have before. It's when they disappear into a far-off alley, everyone scrambling to catch up, that he's knocked down by a reporter. He falls against the hot, cracked concrete with a small 'oof'. He grumbles out a curse at whatever hapless idiot had bumped into him, and sets a scraped-up hand against his own knee to stand. 

Someone standing by him suddenly offers a hand, and he gratefully takes it. He puts on a smile to graciously thank who's just helped him, but it immediately falls at seeing who it is. 

"Oh..." he mutters, taking a step back in surprise. Jooheon very obviously deflates at the reaction, his shoulders dropping and his gaze dimming a bit. "Um... thank you, hyung," he just manages to get out, feeling very awkward about calling the man such an intimate honorific. They haven't spoken since the great rift between Minhyuk and Kihyun back in school, having inadvertently taken sides after what had happened. 

Jooheon mutters the barest minimum of replies, and shoves his hands into his pockets as he turns to follow the crowd. Changkyun presses his lips together, his heart falling as he watches the older walk away.  

God, what he wouldn't give for the past five years to have never happened...