One-shot

Teddy Bears and Soul Mates

 

When you were little, around 5 maybe, you found something you needed more than life itself. The months leading to your birthday were spent in the toy shop window where you soulmate rested. You had named him Rupert. He was big and fluffy and every young girl’s dream. You father promised he would get it for you for your birthday. You would visit Rupert everyday on your way home from school and watch his clean, white fur shine under the florescent lights. When he disappeared from the window, you were heart broken. You no longer had a friend to tell secrets to. When your birthday came you held onto the sliver of hope held in your father’s promise. You believed they would come visit you together. During your party you asked your mother when ‘daddy and rupert were going to come.’ The smile she had plastered on her face faltered, and you watched as the adults gave the pair of you looks of pity.

“Daddy and Rupert can’t make it this year, honey.” She told you simply. You cried more than you should have on your birthday, but you were so convinced your father would bring Rupert to your party. He promised. You felt angry, betrayed, hurt, but soon those emotions drained to emptiness. Why hadn’t he kept his promise? Skip ahead a considerable amount of years and the truth is revealed. A couple of days before your sixth birthday, your dad fell asleep at the wheel trying to get to work and ended up in a ditch. Happy birthday to you. You have been celebrating your birthday the same time your father died. It had hit you pretty hard. You finally understood why your mom never actually seemed happy. She pretended she was strong for you. You came to despise your birthday. Not just for your father, who took his last breath, but for your mother, who cried alone when she thought you had gone to bed. Ever since you had found out there were no more parties. You spent your birthdays watching sad movies with your mom so that she wouldn’t cry alone. High school came and went. All of the sudden you were an adult with a job and college to stress about. You met Taehyung when he waited on you and your mother. She had insisted you celebrate your 21st birthday. He was polite and courteous. He smiled brightly whenever he so much as glanced in your direction. Your mother notice and, being the noisy being she is, got to talking about how single you were whenever he came over to make sure you ‘had everything you needed.’ The day ended with Taehyung writing his number on the back of the check with the message that said “Call me >o.” You giggled when you saw it and ended up starting a text conversation with him. This led to late nights texting when you should have been studying. It developed into extremely long phone calls, the facetimes. It finally ended when he asked you to be his girlfriend on your fifth date. He was young, cute, funny, everything you wanted. You were at his apartment so much his roommate took to calling you Mrs. Kim. It had been almost a year and things were going well. You and Taehyung had had a few fights, but what couple hadn’t.

“What do you want to do for next week? Taehyung asked.

“What’s next week?” You asked

“Jagi! I can’t believe this.” He gasped, hand over his heart, mouth ajar.

“Why?”

“Next week is very important.” He scolded.

“And why is that?”

“Not only does it contain the day in which your mother helped me get up the courage to give you my number, it also holds the day your mother brought you into this world.”

“What a strange way to say our anniversary and my birthday.”

“Ah! So you do know?” He yelled.

“Yes, you alien.”

“So.... How do you want to celebrate?” He questioned.

“Oh....” You looked away from him.

“Oh... What?”

“I don’t..... Celebrate.” You told him. His mouth dropped open again.

“You don’t, but last year.....”

“My mom forced me. Normally, we just stay home and watch movies.”

“Why don’t you celebrate?” He asked, a sad expression consuming his face.

“I just don’t.”

“No one just doesn’t celebrate their birthday.”

“I do. Can we not talk about it?”

“Can we at least eat cake?” He questioned optimistically.

“I’ll probably be with my mom.” You explained. Taehyung bit his lip and looked away from you. “What?”

“Your mom sort of told me she was going on a trip to New York and I should make sure you’re distracted while she’s gone.”

“She left?!” You exclaimed. Taehyung nodded in response.

“Why would she leave?” She knows we spend my birthday together.”

“She said she wanted you to enjoy yourself instead of staying home and watching depressing movies.”

“I do enjoy that.”

“Jagi, I can tell you’re not happy about this and if you don’t want to celebrate we won’t.” Taehyung explained.

“Thank you.”

“We will be eating cake, though.” He compromised.

“No way.”

“Then I guess I’ll have to call everyone and plan a surprise party like your mom suggested.” He threatened, phone in hand.

“No! Fine. We will have cake.”

“Good. And we’re going out for our anniversary.”

“What?”

“We’ll get something to eat. That’s it.”

“But-.”

“Jagi. It’s our anniversary.” He interrupted. “Our FIRST anniversary. TOGETHER.” He emphasised, giving puppy dog eyes, while holding his phone.

“Okay!” You appeased. “I’m confiscating this.” You told him as you took his phone. The week that held so many significant means came. You anniversary with Tae was first. You got italian food at a nice restaurant and had a great time. Taehyung lived up to his temporary title of distraction. You got home and went to take a shower. While you were washing Taehyung put his anniversary present for you on his bedside table. As he anxiously awaited you finishing to give you the present his phone rang. The caller ID showed it was your mother.

“Hello?” Taehyung greeted unsurely.

“Taehyung? It’s me. I need to tell you something.”

“Okay.”

“This is very important. In fact it’s the reason I asked you to distract my daughter this week.”

 

You exited the shower, refreshed and relaxed, you made your way into Tae’s bedroom. He was on the phone, back facing you. When he heard him say ‘I have to go. Thanks for telling me.”

“Who was that?” You asked.

“Hoseok. He won’t be back tonight, so you can stay over.”

“Good cause I’m too lazy to go home.” You replied as you flopped down on Taehyung’s bed. He smiled softly at you before straightening and shifted his body so that it hovered over your own.

“Hi.” You said as you stared up at hi. He just smiled again before reaching over to his bedside table and picking up the box. Centering himself over you again, Taehyung pulled the both of you up so he was on both knees and you were sitting up straight.

“Happy first anniversary.” He told you, handing over the box. It was a good sized box, black and velvety.

“What is this?” You asked as you took the box from his hand.

“A present for you.” He replied. You opened the box and found a necklace inside. It was silver with an infinity symbol in the middle.

“Tae!” You exclaimed. “It’s beautiful.”

“Thank you. Picked it out myself.”

“My boyfriend has such good taste.” You complimented. Taehyung laughed at you complement.

“So, what do you want for your birthday?”

“No presents!” You commanded.

“I meant cake. What kind of cake?” He corrected quickly.

“Chocolate.” You replied after some consideration.

“Chocolate it is.” Taehyung decreed. The two of you spent the night having tickle fights and relaxing.

 

Your birthday reared its ugly head a few days after. It wasn’t all bad seeing as Taehyung semi-broke into your house and made you pancakes. The two of you spent the morning following the normal tradition of watching tear inducing films, but around 4pm Taehyung stopped you from starting a new one. You looked at him in curiosity.

“Not that I don’t love crying with you all day, we need more food. Fried chicken?”

“Oh my god yes!” You groaned. Taehyung raised his eyebrows at you and bit his lip, give you the ‘come hither’ eyes.

“Oh no. Chicken comes first.” You commanded.

“Meanie.” He commented quietly with a pout on his face. He swung on his coat and slipped on his shoes before walking out the door. On his way to get the chicken he passed something that caught his eye. He looked at the object in the display case and smiled.

“Perfect.” He whispered to himself before entering the shop. He knew he would look ridiculous carrying it to and from the chicken shop, but he also knew you would love it.

 

Back at your house, you had started to clear out the mess from breakfast and lunch so that you had room for dinner. As you were setting out plates you heard the door opening and closing. The scent of fried chicken made its way through the house.

“You’re back.” You called. “Table’s set so come in and we can decide on another movie.” You told him. While perusing your DVD collection you heard the chicken being put down. You had expected Taehyung to sit and start unpacking the chicken, but instead you felt something touching you. It was obviously fabric by the soft feel of it. You turned your head and found a crisp, clean white paw in your face. You jumped a little, but realized the bear looked familiar. It had always seemed bigger, but maybe because you had been smaller. His paw was replaced with Kim Taehyung smiling at you.

“Happy birthday, Jagi.”

“But.... how-?” You stuttered, unable to believe what you were seeing. Your soulmate, in the living room, holding a dumb teddy bear he bought in an attempt to make you happy. Taehyung handed you the teddy bear and smiled even wider.

“Now, what should we watch?” He asked you.

“I really don’t care.” You replied before kissing him. He froze at first, not expecting it, but soon responded. When you pulled away he blinked at you for a minute before saying, ‘Does this mean I can pick?’

“Way to ruin the mood!” You scolded, laughing at him. You ended you birthday cuddling while watching Summer Wars