Chapter Two

Heart of Chocolate

The tall and slightly cushioned barrier JaeJoong had run into propelled him backwards, his figure landing on the stony pavement that was anything but fluffy like their fleecy roads in heaven were. With his hands numb from the coldness he tried to stand up but sank back down onto the ground once his foot came into contact with the pavement. Just now he really noticed that he couldn't set his foot down and had been hobbling the entire time... he just had been so awed. A worried voice asking if he was all right reached his ears, his teeth clattering when he looked up, ready to answer.

His eyes locked with a worried looking brown pair, the young male in front of him wearing a blue quilted jacket which was stitched into several squares. The clear blue reminded JaeJoong of the seas and oceans he had seen from above whenever he looked down to earth.

“Are you all right?” the man asked him, his voice a bit muffled from the scarf wrapped around his neck that reached to his bow shaped lips and gave sight of his mole atop the upper lip. His light-brown hair with a dark hairline reminded JaeJoong of sugary sweet caramel.

“I-I'm okay,” JaeJoong stuttered, his entire body shivering in the coldness that drew through his light clothes with every breeze.

“You must be freezing,” the young man exclaimed, opening his thick jacket and took it off to hand it over to JaeJoong. Warmth radiated from the quilted piece of clothing once it rested around JaeJoong's shoulders, a word of thanks leaving his quivering lips formed into a soft smile. JaeJoong snuggled deeper into the thick jacket, bathing in the warmth that enveloped his chilled limbs and figure.

“Do you need help to get up?” the light-brown haired asked when he wondered why the young man in front of him was still sitting on the cold pavement. A soft breeze was fanning the subtle scent of vanilla towards his nose. Vanilla sugar mixed with cinnamon to be exact. The sugary aroma intensified even more when he helped the auburn haired up, a yelp leaving the quivering plump lips when the smaller one stood on his feet.

“Does it hurt anywhere?” he asked with furrowed eyebrows, worried that their collision maybe had hurt the young man dressed in white.

“My foot,” JaeJoong mumbled, one eye closed at the pain coursing through his right limb when he held onto the stranger he had bumped into.

“We should get you to see a doctor,” the light-brown haired remarked, supporting JaeJoong who was hobbling with every step.

“No, it's okay,” JaeJoong rejected, hissing whenever a new wave of pain struck his foot.

“I insist. You can barely walk,” the taller one in his thick pullover remarked, putting his arm around JaeJoong's waist while the other was holding onto him to not fall. With a nod JaeJoong gave in, the two slowly hobbling towards the closest hospital.

“I'm YunHo, by the way,” the young man said when he guided JaeJoong towards the hospital, his nostrils filled with the smell of cinnamon which seemed to radiate from JaeJoong's auburn hair.

“JaeJoong,” the angel replied.

*

People dressed in white were bustling around, the air smelling of antiseptics and sometimes a patient was called up. JaeJoong looked curiously around, his eyes wandering around the hospital with white walls, chairs in the waiting area and bustling nurses and doctors passing by every now and then. YunHo and JaeJoong were waiting for about 20 minutes already, after YunHo could convince the hospital to use his health insurance card since JaeJoong didn't carry one with him. Well, when he went to work earlier he didn't think of falling down to earth and going to the doctors so why carrying it with him?

“So, I told you something about me. What about you? Where do you come from?” YunHo asked after he had told JaeJoong that he was a student, 23 years old, had a younger brother and lived alone in an apartment. JaeJoong bit nervously onto his bottom lip. Should he tell him or not? He knew that YunHo probably wouldn't believe him, after all, they kept their world as secret as possible.

“I come from afar,” he mumbled, looking shyly up to YunHo who eyed him curiously.

“Kim JaeJoong,” a nurse called him up just before YunHo could ask any further. For now JaeJoong was safe.

The white room smelled even more of disinfectant and warmth was radiating from the heater on the wall. The greenish bed the angel was sitting on stood across from the wooden doctor's table who was outside and looked through the results of the tests made for JaeJoong's check up. Since the latter didn't have any data with him they made several tests to make sure that he was all right. It made him kind of nervous though. Would they notice that he was... different?

He winced a bit when a nurse fixed a stabilising bandage around his injured right foot. He had a twisted ankle, a few bruises and scratches from his fall down to earth and carried a few plasters on his face. YunHo was by his side and he felt a lot safer with him than being all alone in a world he had been taught about and seen a lot from but had never experienced before. The door towards the room opened with a soft creak, JaeJoong mumbling a thanks to the nurse who just had finished the fixing of his bandage.

“So, Mr. Kim. Apart from a few bruises and your twisted ankle everything seems to be fine. You should spare your ankle from too much pressure and take a rest so that it can cure faster and easier,” the doctor said once he stepped inside. The middle-aged man was occupied with the folder in his hands which seemed to be JaeJoong's file.

“We found something odd with your heart though. If you would take a look,” the older male with slightly grey hair remarked when he a fixture at the wall and put a radiography of JaeJoong's chest onto the illuminated surface. JaeJoong's eyes widened. Of course, how could he forget about this! The consistence of his inner organs was different from the ones humans had on earth.

“Your heart appears rather dark than it actually should be,” the doctor mumbled while gazing at the radiography.

“Is it something bad?” YunHo asked. He was worried even though he had met JaeJoong just a mere hour ago.

“I can't tell. We would like to run a few more tests, Mr. Kim, and find out about your condition,” the doctor said and JaeJoong swallowed. “If you could take a seat in the waiting room again, I'll let call for you,” and with that he vanished through the door with his coat fluttering behind him.

JaeJoong swallowed nervously, his gaze wandering aimlessly about the room. This couldn't end well, he thought. “Yu-YunHo...” his lips trembled when he tugged at the other's sweater. “Please, I have to get out off here. I don't think running more test would be good. C-Can we go somewhere else?” he looked up into YunHo's questioning eyes. YunHo felt JaeJoong being rather uncomfortable, “We could go to my apartment, if you want. It's nearby.” So they both stood facing the door and after a minute they sneaked out into the hallway, seeking out the entrance in a hurry. (That he just could have said no to the doctor, wasn't on his mind right then and there.)

*

YooChun hurried along the corridor of their manufactory, his intention being obviously the bureau of their manufactory director. He didn't know, if anybody else could possibly know what had happened to his best friend and how he could be helped. The angel turned around the next corner, heading directly to the elevators. He pushed the button, which signalled him wanting upwards. With a bling the elevator's doors slid open and he stepped inside. His heart thumped in his chest, while he rode up to the 20th floor, and it felt like it wanted to rip out off his ribcage. What had happened to JaeJoong? Would they find him dead, if they ever were able to? What would the impact of an angel landing on solid earth, or even concrete, feel like? YooChun's thoughts swirled around in his head, and he was not able to grab onto one properly. But one was clear enough to chant him over and over again in his head: Please let him be all right.

The elevator dinged and its doors slid open for a second time that day. He stepped out and turned to the right, going straight through the corridor until the very end where he knew the director would sit. He rapped on the door three times, something stirred inside and he heard a short answer of 'Come in!' When he stepped inside he found himself face to face with another angel, the director. “I think I know why you are here, Park YooChun. Our alarm system went off when someone passed the security line between heaven and earth.” YooChun was quiet, thinking, then he remembered that an answer might be a good option, so he said, “What can be done? Is there a chance to save him?” The director lifted himself out off his chair and stood facing the window. “Never has something like this occurred, but if Kim JaeJoong is still alive, then we know certain things will happen to him, if he's not back up here in due time. Sadly, that's nothing we could change, if he should not make it. So we better hurry up and find him,” he turned around moving in front of YooChun, “We will need to make contact with the earth, but that might end up being difficult because we haven't done so for a very long time. We need to make some researches first.” The thoughts swirled around in YooChun's head. He would have never thought, that even the upper angels wouldn't really know what to do. But he was willing to do everything that lay within his power.

*

The key slid into the key hole and made a clicking noise, opening a dark wooden door. Two figures made their way through it stepping into a warm corridor, where they discarded their outdoor clothing. One of them sniffed, and a small cough escaped his lips. The taller reached for a cardigan hanging on the wardrobe and handed it to his guest. “Here, put this one. I hope you didn't catch a cold outside.”

They went through a door on their left and JaeJoong came face to face with the living room – he was awe-struck, once again. Everything was decorated, ready for Christmas to come, with deep-red candles, an Advent wreath, pine tree bouquets, mistletoes and a little Christmas tree sitting in a corner, decked out with a chain of light, golden and red tree balls, and right on top of it sat a little angel, with tiny white wings and a white dress. JaeJoong looked at YunHo who was scratching his head, “Haha, don't look at me like that. I know I don't seem the type to like Christmas that much, huh?”, he continued laughing, “Please make yourself at home. I'm going to make us some tea. The kitchen's right here around the corner. If you like you can watch TV or something.”

With that he left the room through the door on the left hand side, leaving JaeJoong to himself, who decided to look about the room for now. He surveyed YunHo's bookshelves packed with books and DVDs and the few photographs hanging on his walls as well, the biggest showing two elderly people, a young woman, YunHo himself and a boy younger than YunHo. JaeJoong assumed this must be his family. He smiled, looking onto another one, where YunHo stood arm in arm with the same boy, both were a bit younger, smiling wide into the camera – 'Must be his little brother,' he thought. JaeJoong wondered what his family and his friends were doing right now. Would he see them again? When would he be able to use his wings again? After the dire fall he really couldn't move them properly any more.

Loud clatter woke him from his deep thoughts and he turned around to see his host setting the table, with cups, a tee pot and some cake – yumm, chocolate!

He was gestured to sit down and so he did, eyeing the cake and suddenly his stomach began rumbling and roaring. YunHo laughed out loud, whilst the colour of JaeJoong's cheeks changed to tomato red. “Sorry, I didn't notice how hungry I was and the cake just looks so delicious.”

They ate and drunk in silence until YunHo spoke up, “So, JaeJoong, you wanted to tell me why we had to leave the hospital like Ninjas,” he looked expectant at his guest.

“I'm an angel.”