i hear a symphony

i hear a symphony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

it's been three years since they've started dating, the end of their college life drawing near as jonghyun stares at the calendar (dating their impending doom: thesis presentations), sighing as he moved to head over to his boyfriend's room to seek solace and peace of mind when he hears him from beyond the door, singing. that, most probably, means he's either extremely stressed or recording. he says he sings just for fun, but he knows what kinds of songs he sings just for fun and he's already made a list. today's song, however, isn't a part of it.

so he does as what he usually does whenever he thinks his boyfriend's recording (or stressing out, but he's put that thought aside since he just heard him do a retake): he sits in front of his door and listens in quietly. on bad days, he falls asleep almost instantly and gets woken up by the door opening behind him. on good days, he also falls asleep, but at least this time he gets to hear what he's singing for a bit first before doing so--it's not his fault his boyfriend's voice is perfect for lullabies.

he falls asleep without meaning to, only wanting to take a breather for a few seconds since his deadline is coming up and he hasn't had a break since the semester started.

----------

it takes a while before he finishes up recording, making a note to film the opening before he gets up to get some water. the moment he opens his door, his boyfriend stumbles in, groggy as he was woken up in such a manner. "jonghyun-ah..." he mutters, smiling down at him before moving to pick him up. "how many times did i tell you to just come in? i don't mind you bothering me during recording, i'm still gonna edit it later anyway."

jonghyun shakes his head against minhyun's shoulder in response, looking up at him through hooded eyes. "it's more work for you."

"it's fine." minhyun replies, placing him in his bed. going from roommates to lovers was convenient in more ways than one, he mused, sitting on the edge of the bed and moving to cup his face, his thumb brushing against his cheek. "deadlines coming up?"

jonghyun hums in reply, leaning against minhyun's touch as he slowly drifts back to sleep. "g'nite. gimme a kiss?" he hums, leaning over jonghyun, kissing him before he fully drifts off. "g'nite."

he goes back to recording and editing after that, smiling to himself when he finds out the camera's been recording the entire time and ends up editing them out anyway (though he saved the file anyway).

----------

it's two weeks later and jonghyun just found out that his proposal got passed with flying colours. he's over the moon and back when he gets home, tickets shoved in front of his face when he thought he'd firstly get to bury his face in his boyfriend's shoulders.

"this weekend, 9pm, at route. i'll be a guest singer." minhyun chimes in before he envelops jonghyun in a hug. "my first gig!"

jonghyun is quite honestly surprised. not so much by his boyfriend getting a gig, but more so about this weekend's being his first. he's sang at cafes before and has a relatively big fanbase (having more than two million subscribers is no joke). "so you'll be out this weekend? what about dinner? should i wait for you?" he hums. as supportive he is of his youtube-oriented lifestyle, a homebody like him prefers being alone and minhyun (most of the time) gets that. however this time, it seems to have slipped his mind as the reply he had expected ('no, it's fine, don't wait up i'll be late) turns out to be "you're coming with me!" minhyun had explained to him that his presence would not only allow him to stay calm throughout the performance but also serve as proof that he does, indeed, have a boyfriend. he explains that he's constantly mentioned him in his videos and that most of his viewers, having never seen him (in either video or photo--jonghyun doesn't like his photos being taken and the photos minhyun does have of jonghyun, he keeps to himself as small treasures--or rather, isn't sns appropriate), have started to doubt his existence. given this, he's made it a point to announce the fact that jonghyun is coming this weekend, smiling triumphantly as jonghyun sighs in response, nodding reluctantly and agreeing to go.

----------

and so there he was, a beer in hand as he had separated himself from minhyun backstage. he's a lightweight and can't take much alcohol. minhyun's told him his drinking habits are terrible and has continuously advised against him drinking in any public place (especially without him around). he reminded him just before they separated, too. now that they were separated, he finally had the chance to talk to others (not that he particularly wanted to), someone coming up to him and his lonesome looking self all dapper and friendly. "music not to your taste?" he hums, bumping their shoulders together as a friendly hello. jonghyun shakes his head, taking a sip from his drink, "it's not that. i'm just not very good at talking."

"oh." the other replied, a small smirk slowly gracing his features. "more of an action-person?" he hums, downing his drink and placing the cup on the table behind jonghyun.

"it's not exactly....i don't know, i just? i'm more of a stay-at-home person, i guess." he replies, expecting him to hum in response and leave. the other's response, however, is chiding him to down his drink (he did, surprisingly enough. he's weak to peer pressure, it seems) and taking his head, leading him to the dance floor. minhyun's set has yet to start (the set list goes upbeat -> slow dance -> grinding, and minhyun's was the transition to the second portion).

the friendly stranger twirls him around, jonghyun bursting out laughing at how ridiculous this situation was, letting himself be swayed and dance along--he's always liked dancing anyway, though he doesn't seem like the type. "seongwoo!" the stranger all but shouts in his ears, their hands entwined as they danced to the beats. jonghyun replies, shouting just as loud, "jonghyun!"

----------

they dance together for a while before retreating back to the sidelines, seongwoo ordering two more drinks for the both of them (it's only my second drink, jonghyun muses, what could possibly go wrong?) and handing one to jonghyun. he rests back against the bar counter, taking sip after sip from his drink. "so, what's a stay-at-home person like you doing here?"

"my boyfriend made me come." he explains, noticing a small pout run across seongwoo's face before he burst back up to ask more questions, to keep the conversation going.

"and where might that boyfriend be? he made you come and leaves you alone?" he tsks, shaking his head.

"he's performing tonight. he's backstage." he explains further, taking a sip from his own drink, nose scrunching as he realised it was pure alcohol and his manners and demeanour prevented him from not finishing the cup he's holding.

"oh? which performer?"

"hwang minhyun."

seongwoo then snorts, shaking his head as he looks at him with sarcasm. "ah, hwang minhyun's b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter