first and last

crows before hoes

[I clearly remember my ideal 
On dreams I lived like a king
7am – that’s night for me
I didn’t want to work, roamed around.]

Renjun is almost crying when his mother tells him about the scout camp. Which part in Renjun’s ‘I want to go on camp rock’ she didn’t understand? He is not even a scout, so why she’s sending him somewhere in mountains far away from their house? He wants to tell her, that he’s not going anywhere, but he also doesn’t want to make her sad. She doesn’t deserve this kind of behaviour from her. His mom always want the best for him and Renjun always appreciates this. Although his reluctance, he smiles a little, wiping discreetly tears from his eyes. Maybe he is childish, but he really doesn’t want to spend almost month with completely strange people.

[And I have my guitar, wiped trousers and old shoes
Winds are carrying me on their wings.]

He barely throws his huge backpack onto the shelf. It’s definitely too heavy for Renjun and he doesn’t have much things with him. But backpacks of other boys, whom are sitting with him in compartment, are even bigger. He can’t believe that it’s happening for real. His mother is waving to him from the platform, so he waves back. A few other moms and one dad are also standing there and he can clearly hear how one of these women screams loudly ‘find yourself a nice girlfriend honey!’
Boy who is standing next to him groans and probably rolls his eyes.
After a while train finally moves from the platform and Renjun can’t see his mother any longer.
He sat near to the window, so he can look through it. Other boys do the same and that boy who needs to find a girlfriend is sitting next to him.

”For Robert Baden Powell’s moustache. Guys, we should introduce ourself first.” Black haired boy speak and Renjun is already stressed. He want to go back home.

”You should end with your saying first. It’s not funny. Well, you’re not funny.” This boy is sitting next to this moustache boy or more like he’s sitting almost on him. Well, that’s gay. ”But I’m Donghyck or you can call me Haechan. Whatever.”

”I’m Mark. And this is Jisung, Chenle and Jeno.” He pointed sequentially at everyone. So it’s the time when he also must introduce himself.

”Renjun.” He said quietly, but he’s sure, that all of them can hear that. ”I’m not a scout.” He doesn’t know, why he told them about this now. He’s scared that they will stop talking to him, if they even wanted to do this earlier.

”Don’t worry. It will be fun.” Mark speaks again and boy next to Renjun – Jeno, smiles to him.
Renjun thinks, that he has very nice eyesmile.

[Hey friends! stay with me
Everything what I had I handed over for you
Hey friends! although one moment
I have bad luck in my life again
I’m again alone.]

”We need to go for that damn camp bed again.” Donghyuck says looking at their tent interior. One of camp beds is broken and they must change it, so Haechan and Renjun go to the leader ship team for another one.
It’s Monday morning. The first day of camp routine. It’s not that bad for now, because they just putting up the tents and stuffs like that. Renjun next twenty days will spend in it with Mark, Donghyuck, Jisung, Chenle, Jeno and Jaemin which is in the same troop as Renjun’s train mates. He is nice, charming and he helped Renjun to make his bed, so he already has special place in Renjun’s heart.

[Sing we all through this happy time 
Sing together how many us are here
Although young years are flowing fast,
We know, that we don’t grow old.]

They are sitting around. Renjun, his new friends, few other boys and Johnny – their Patrol leader from leader ship team.

”So how we should name our Patrol? Any ideas?” Johnny is looking straight into Renjun’s face and he panics a little, but Chenle saves him.

”Maybe winners, so we still will be winners even if we’ll lose?”

”We should rather name us losers then.” Jisung looks at Chenle’s face with sadness. ”We will be losers no matter what.”

”Try to be a little more optimistic boy.” Patrol leader cheers him up, but younger only shrugs.

”Scout inquisition, because nobody expects the scout inquisition.” One of unknown boys says and Mark is pointing at him while showing his enthusiasm.

”I would prefer the fellowship of the ring and our shout could be something like ‘for Narnia and for Aslan’.” Jaemin’s proposition also meets with huge agreement, but Johnny is still not convinced.

”So maybe we could mix these two and name our Patrol ‘the crows’? Like night’s watch from Game of Thrones.” First unknown boy says again and this time everyone is cheering for him.

”Crows before hoes!” Donghyuck screams and Renjun smiles a little seeing everyone’s happiness.
Next they’re making Patrol flag and Renjun draws big, black crow on it.

[In sorrow, sadness and worries
On sunny days and on dark days
On bright day or dark night
Friendship will give you a power.]

It’s a rest hour, so Jeno and Renjun are laying on their beds. Rest of the boys are in girls tent, laughing about something. Renjun wish, he could talk with others as easily as them.
But Jeno is telling him about their Troop and he really likes it.

”Mark is our  Section Leader and Donghyuck is his Assistant. Jaemin is older boys Patrol Leader and I’m Leader of younger boys, but they’re not here. I think I already miss them. My precious sons…” Renjun smiles warmly to him. Jeno is lovely and Renjun for a short moment thinks, that he wants to be one of these young boys.

[I’m not happy, but with a bow
I’m flying to the sun
Hey Leonardo!
I’m spinning, because standing is boring
Let’s go planet!
Hey Leonardo!]

After evening flag break everyone is sitting around the campfire on sleeping pads. The whole leader ship team is sitting with them. Taeil – girls Patrol leader, Jeno and two girls are playing on guitars. They’re singing and Renjun sits next to Jeno, because he has a songbook. Scout smiles when he gives Renjun a short look and the other feels how his face heat up.

[It’s late, night is opening
Dream comes to the door on his toes like a cat
There’s time to an escape
When the next day has become a memory].  

Renjun and Jeno are on their night watch. It’s around 3am, so they still have one hour to change with other nightwatchmen. It’s August, so it’s already cold – the reason why their sitting on small bench under the huge plash palatka. They arms are touching and Renjun kind of enjoys it.

”So… How do you like scout camp?”

”It’s better than I expected. I thought, that I’ll be alone for all the time, but then I met you in the train.” Jeno laughs brightly and Renjun feels that strange heat.

”You’re cute Renjunnie.” The boy is probably blushing and well, that’s gay.

[Hey! In the mountains, in the mountains
Look how sun is raising
Still so clumsily I want to avoid the peak
Hey, nice sir, wait! We will also be there
You won’t have to go to pastures alone.]

Renjun thinks he’s gay, when he’s looking into Jeno’s smiling eyes, when Jeno plays on his guitar, when Jeno is on night watches with Renjun, when Jeno is helping him in scout’s games, when Jeno is around him, when Jeno is…
It hits him so sudden when they’re playing in Colours in the forest near to their camp. Their Patrol need to steal girls Patrol flag and conversely. Renjun is laying literally on Jeno, somewhere in bushes, and his warm hand is on Renjun’s back.

”We need to go. Hyein and Sungkyung might be near.” Renjun nodded, so they start crawling. Jeno’s hand is not on Renjun any more, but from time to time he looks at him with his beautiful, smiling eyes.

[But somewhere there’s a place with moss-covered stone
There’s reverie in the wind’s melody
There the air has a different taste
Abandon the rhythm of steps on the pavement
Try – you shall find, if you want
To seek – a new world, a world of your own.]

”Do you want to attempt twin badge with me?” Jeno asks randomly on their last Monday on a camp. Renjun is confused. ”You need to hold my hand for whole 24 hours.”

”You sure, that you can handle with me for that long?” His heart is fluttering. Renjun really want to do this. Jeno smiles widely as an answer and it’s enough.      

 

”The order L.15/2016

1.The leader ship team’s decisions
2.Appointments
3.Ranks and badges
3.1 Huang Renjun and Lee Jeno – twin badge
3.2 Lee Donghyuck and Lee Mark – twin badge
3.3 Seo Hyein – hiker badge
4.Merits
5.Warnings and punishments
5.1 Zhong Chenle and Park Jisung are cleaning the kitchen for the rest of week.
5.2 Zhong Chenle and Park Jisung are cleaning the toilets for the rest of week.” Camp commandant says and flag break ends. Donghyuck is scolding Chenle and Jisung. Renjun is curious what they did, but almost all his attention is only on Jeno’s hand wrapped on Renjun’s.

[We will make a little camp 
We will build a gate of hearts
And from these souls, what so hot we will build a fireplace
We will kindle a little fire
And in this fire you will bake our friendship which combines
Which will give you what you want.]

It’s time for their night watch again. This time they’re walking around the camp still holding hands. Haechan and Mark lost before the dinner, because they had small fight.Donghyuck almost killed Mark, but they’re okay now. Renjun is blabbing something about the stars and Jeno thinks, that he has nice lips. Without second thought, Jeno pecks them. Renjun stops talking, so Jeno kiss him again.

Renjun tie their hands before they fall asleep. He and Jeno are still blushing, what Jaemin notices. He gives them suspicious look before he go for his friend from another tent, so they could go on their watch.

[I’m afraid of the sky in your eyes
You’re still trembling with fatigue and sweat
The world, that you want to divide on black and white
Darling, I’m afraid of your returns.]

It’s late evening and everyone is sitting around their last campfire. Renjun not need a songbook any more, but he’s still next to Jeno which is playing on guitar as always. Everyone who wants is dedicating songs to each other and so do Jeno.

”It’s for the person I’ve met due to this camp.” He’s saying before he gives Renjun a glance full of happiness and Renjun knows, that it’s for him.

[I love something in you
I’m not sure what
Maybe your smile
Maybe the touch of your hands
Maybe glow of your eyes
what is shining
The smell of your lips and theirs taste
i dreamed about them.

When I see you
I lost my thoughts somewhere
I feel lack of the air
The whole world is backwords
Words go haywire
Thoughts, God knows where
What I should say
To keep you.]

Jeno and the others are waving to him and Renjun smiles widely. He won’t miss them at all. They aren’t living far away from Renjun’s hometown, so they already promised, that they will meet soon.

[sea and ocean are thundering
the song of farewell’s tone
we’ll see each other many Times
now it’s time to put sails and go on the cruise from the port.]

Renjun finds small paper sheet written in Morse code in his pocket.

‘..

.-.. --- …- .

-.-- --- ..-

.-. . -. .--- ..- -. -. .. .’

”I love you too Jeno.”