The end or the beginning??

Hidden feelings
Please log in to read the full chapter

A bright sunny day, lots of milky white clouds attached on the light blue sky and an occasional breezy air -it was a perfect weather for anyone to have an ideal date today expect it just wasn't so for our main boy, Jseph. His two years old relationship was about to end on this beautiful day and so he was running as fast as he could, sweating bullets and his heart racing like it's the last race of his life.

 

He gives a quick look to his watch.. 5 minutes left, increasing his pace he runs like a mindless person. His phone rings just then and as he takes the call without bothering to look at the name of the caller, the person on the other end speaks.

 

Where are you??? 

 

Jseph: [panting] Don't even ask. 

 

[Pause] Are you running??

 

Jseph: How do you know? [Stops running]

 

Idiot! You're out of breathe..

 

Jseph: Yah, I'll talk to ya later. She might be really mad.. why didn't you wake me up earlier?

 

The person on the phone is his childhood friend Ji woo. Ji woo, his only bestfriend. They live in the same community, his house is right opposite to Jiwoo's. They've a long history of friendship, to be precise 8 years and everybody in their locality thought they were lovers. Well not to forget their own desperate parents who've tried every possibilities to convince these fools to get together but they are having none of these. Both laughed it away rather forcefully and strictly confessed they were only 'good friends' and nothing more. But who could blame these people when Jiwoo behaves like a next mom to Jseph. Dealing with his exes, doing his assignments, saving him from his parent's beating, wishing him happy birthday sharply at 12 midnight, staying up all night by his side whenever he falls sick and most importantly cooking for him, washing his dirty clothes and cleaning his room whenever his parents were out of the valley and the list goes on, these were no normal things for just a friend to do. So it was natural for others to think that there was more going on between them rather than they being just best friends with a platonic relationship but as stubborn as an ox, they wouldn't come to an agreement with the reality when the truth was displayed as clear as water to others.

 

(Back to conversation)

 

Jiwoo: Just who told you to get drunk like a bizzare person and FYI, it's YOUR special day so YOU have to remember, NOT ME!!

 

[Takes the phone away from his ear]

Jseph: Aigoo, why are you yelling?? And if your little brain remembers than let me remind you it was your birthday yesterday so I have all the rights to get crazy.

 

Jiwoo:  Yeah right! Btw did you buy her a gift or are you planning to meet her empty handed? Do you even know what day is today? 

 

Jseph: [....] Yah! Stop treating me like a bad boyfriend huh?? I remember everything, it's her birthday today!

 

Jiwoo: Hah.. Like always, you forgot... It seems like the hangover hasn't gone yet but what I don't get it how did you manage to impress her all these years?? 

 

Her... The 'her' they were talking about was of course Jseph's 19th girlfriend. Since everyone including his parents nagged him for always acting like a spoiled brat and constantly changing girlfriends every 2 months, one fortunate night something 'awaken' on him and so he decided it was high time to act like a mature man and so he made up his mind that he would be faithful to his future girl then onwards which happened to be her. He met Rita on the first day of his college. She was beautiful, smart and easy to please so without having to waste his time and chance he successfully impressed her with his flowery compliments and chocolatey charm. Since then she was known as his girlfriend and they were eventually tagged as the 'hot couple' of the college.

 

(Back to conversation)

 

Jseph: You have no other good words to say, do you?? Stop distracting me and cut the phone, I only have 3 minutes left.
 

Jiwoo: Okay okay but listen.. About the gift.. since you dumboo might not have prepared anything so if she asks for it, bring her to your house.. I'll prepare something.. She definitely didn't look too pleased yesterday!
 

Jseph: Aww.. Ji woo ya~~~ you know you're my bestest friend huh??
 

Jiwoo:  Ya, ya. Just stop your drama and run fast if you don't want your to get kicked like last time. 
 

Jseph: Yeah yeah, bye!

(Slightly annoyed he ends the call.)

 

Last time. The last time was a year ago when Jseph forgot about Rita's birthday. She was of course expecting a surprise visit from her boyfriend or if not that then at least a midnight birthday call from him would have made her feel special but well, y'all guessed it correct, nothing happened. It was right then that she completely lost hope from this relationship. Apart from being tagged as 'Jseph's girl' she got nothing from this dead relationship. Well yes, she did get her hopes down, her expectations crushed and her heart broken multiple times. She was now used to his non attentive nature.

 

---

 

As he reached into his destination, a smile creeped on his face, still a minute left. Just on time, he released a relieved air out and fixed his hair quickly as he finally gave one swift look at himself on the glass door and with a satisfied grin entered into their all time favourite cafe, café dé club, the only cafe they hung around but his face fell flat upon getting into 'their table'. It was empty. Jseph pulled out his cellphone from his pocket and dialed her number. 

 

The number you're trying to call is switched off, please try later!

 

Damn it! He threw a fist on the table grabbing an unwanted attention from the nearby tables. As he was about to go, a waiter came by him and gave him a letter.

 

He pulled his hair backward annoyingly as he finished reading the letter and walked out of there.

 

---

 

Jseph sat on the couch with his darkened face and a bottle of soju. He was still not able to understand why did Rita write those words? Why did she think that it was best to break up with him?? He'd never ever hurt her or used offensive language. Apart from sometimes forgetting about her birthday and their 1st anniversary dates he never did a single thing wrong. But he was always bad with numbers so she should have better known about his weaknesses by now. Where did he go wrong?? But what Jseph couldn't understand till this date was his own feelings. He always thought he was a good boyfriend to her and that she was happy with him. That very thought had had always entertained him and he was satisfied with himself and how the things were going around him. That's what he believed but that letter changed all his perspectives towards relationship, towards love. After reading it, he finally understood all these while he was living in a delusion. He had been blindly following his concept of having a hot beautiful girl by his side was being in love. 

 

"Yo! So how was your date huh?"  A tap on his shoulder from back disturbed his thoughts. He turned his head to the right. Ji woo stood behind with a wide smile which immediately disappeared as she witnessed his sad face.

 

She then took a seat right next to him and observing his gloomy mood, asked rather curiously "What happened?? You guys fought once again?"

 

Jseph shook his head but didn't bother to speak a word.

 

"Then?" She softly asked him in a concerned tone, simultaneously observing his sad face.

 

Jseph gulped down the soju and replied with a sombre look. "It's over!"

 

Please log in to read the full chapter