Fall Before

Autumn Daze

Easier said than done.

Well, they did say that actions spoke louder than words, and that was exactly how Minhyun was feeling as he parked his car in the parking lot behind the apartment. Jonghyun, his own neighbor who lived just a few doors away from him, had already rushed inside, needing to use the restroom.

How did one exactly live aside from their hearts beating and their blood moving around their bodies? How did one feel like he was alive and bursting with vitality?

By making money? By chasing their dreams?

By doing whatever made him or her happy?

Life was always a mystery to him no matter how many years went by. He was much too old to be feeling lost; most people his age were already halfway through with university and only a few years away from applying for their dream jobs. Meanwhile here he was, doing nothing with his life but learning how to drive while other people were studying for their vision, their goals, to come true. Sighing, he exited his vehicle and rubbed his temples, wanting nothing more than to throw himself onto his bed and sleep the night away.

 

“It’s never a surprise anymore to run into you here.”

Minhyun didn't bother looking up to see who was standing in front of him. After all, he did grow up listening to that voice.

Kang Dongho, another friend, another neighbor.

Nothing really surprised Minhyun anymore, but Dongho, a cheerful young man who laughed at almost everything despite looking quite grave whenever a smile wasn’t on his face, seemed to be hopelessly optimistic and surprised by everything. Despite being older than Minhyun, Dongho always seemed younger to him.

“I could say the same to you,” Minhyun replied with a smile on his face, always glad to see his friends.

With a wide grin on his face, Dongho slid into the seat across from Minhyun and took out a lunch box from his backpack. Minhyun merely put his book down, knowing that it was impossible to concentrate on the text with Dongho loudly chewing on his food, and took out his own lunch box.

“I’ll trade some of my noodles for your kimchi fried rice.”

But of course, Dongho didn’t wait for Minhyun to shake his head, knowing that Minhyun was a horrible cook and could only cook kimchi fried rice on a regular basis. He had already started to give him some of his noodles and chicken as if Minhyun wasn’t protesting that he wasn’t hungry.

People were often scared of Dongho when they first met him, but he had always resembled a fluffy bear to Minhyun. There was nothing to be scared of. He was kind, he was attentive, and he was a loyal friend.

The music sheets sticking out of Dongho’s red folder only made Minhyun focus more on his food. They were sitting in one of the many libraries in the university, students were walking around their table as they searched for a spot to either eat or study, and Dongho, a gifted pianist and singer, was paving his way to becoming a musician.

He didn’t doubt that one day, Dongho’s face would appear all over the television screens and the internet as a famous musician or idol singer. And Jonghyun’s name would probably accompany his albums somehow, probably as the writer of his songs.

“You should come back here,” Dongho began. He had never stopped trying to convince Minhyun to return to school so he would have a college degree, but after Minhyun had finished his general education requirements, he had promptly taken a leave of absence due to not knowing what major or career path he should chase.

A gap year. That was what he had called it, but all he wanted to do was travel and explore the world.

Unfortunately, he had no money and driving was his way of being able to explore a little more of the world. Just a little more while he continued to work at a restaurant and a library.

What was he doing with his life?

“Come back here, get your degree, and figure out what you want to do while you’re attending school here. Just get the degree so you can apply for jobs,” Dongho said seriously, waving his fork around as if he hadn’t given him the same speech for the past three months. “Don’t keep working at the restaurant. It’s hard work and you can’t keep working there forever. And the library? I know you love reading and you love how quiet it is there, but you’re barely getting paid there. Realistically, you just need a job. Any job is fine as long as it pays, right? Then after you get paid, you can use that money to travel the world and take paid vacations.”

It was funny hearing this sort of speech from someone who had defied his parents to study music instead of pursuing the path of becoming a doctor or lawyer, but Minhyun appreciated it nevertheless.

“I just want you to be financially secure so I don’t have to worry about you. I know you don’t know what to do with your life, and that’s fine. You have an opportunity to get a college degree, so just get it. It opens so many job opportunities for you and you won’t have to worry so much about money,” he continued to say, shoving a piece of chicken into his mouth as he opened his mouth again.

But Minhyun cut him off, his lips quirked to the right. “I’m fine, Dongho. I’ll come back soon and get my degree, don’t worry.”

Dongho, looking unsatisfied, simply nodded as he continued to eat. He decided to drop the topic for now, but Minhyun just sighed.

Dongho, the musician, and Jonghyun, the writer.

And Minhyun, what would he be?