The Cat Next Door

Sinrin One-Shots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My apartment was on the fourth level, the orange bricks from the large building glistering in the sunlight, walls overgrown with plants from the other residents, wrapping around the rusty metal stairs against one of the walls.

 

And well, as for how the cat managed to get inside everytime.. No idea.

Everytime at 12:05, not a minute earlier or later, it turned up at my window. It's eyes wide open, focused on the food in front of me, it's mouth as I'm preparing my lunch. I'd sigh but eventually open the window anyway, inviting the little stranger to come in and have lunch together.

If someone saw me sitting at the table with a cat sitting across of me, both eating a tosti with ham and cheese, they'd probably think I'm crazy, but to me it had already become a daily routine.

 

12:00 go to the kitchen, start preparing lunch

12:05 open the window to let the cat in

12:20 have dinner together

12:30 cat leaves afterwards

 

As for why the cat always left at exactly 12:30 was a mystery to me. And for it to be coming to my apartment everyday.. It didn't look skinny, not at all, in fact he looked pretty well-fed, meaning that it belonged to someone. Knowing that it had a owner I never named it.

Giving it a name even though it already probably had one felt wrong.

 

And then one day, at exactly 12:05 I opened the window once again, setting up the table for lunch, except this time the cat didn't turn up, but a girl did, sitting in the window like the cat always did. Even funnier was that she had two buns, resembling cat's ears.

 

"Hi, have you seen my cat? It has brown and white stripes, blue eyes and white socks."

I chuckled when she mentioned the white socks, because it really did seem to be wearing socks.

"It's yours?"

"Yeah, have you seen it?"

"It came here yesterday. We had lunch."

"You what- Doesn't matter, do you know where it could have gone?"

"..Not really, sorry. I could help you looking though."

"I appreciate that, but it looks like you were about to have lunch?"

"Yeah. Do you want to join?"

 

That's how we ended up having lunch together, the place across of me that was usually reserved for the cat now taken by a girl with buns. During lunch we exchanged some stories, about the cat and the building.

The girl, whose name was Yerin, lived next to me. The landlady was her grandma, so when she entered university she moved in here. Pet's weren't allowed though, so she made a deal with her grandma that if she got good grades she'd be allowed to keep a cat.

The cat apparently used to have orange fur, but as time passed it slowly started getting darker and turned into brown. And somehow, it kept getting fatter each day even though she didn't give it more food than usual, and now it's lost.

 

I didn't forget to tell you it's name, it just didn't have one. "I forgot", Yerin had said.

The name wasn't that much of a problem though, the thing that was important at this moment was to find him, so Yerin and I split up and started asking around for the cat.

The building luckily didn't have that many residents. Yerin, the landlady, me and 14 others, most of them being old ladies.

4 floors, 4 apartments on each level.

 

"Excuse me, have you seen a cat with brown and white stripes, blue eyes and white socks?"

Apparently everyone had given it a name. Chester, Garfield, Max, Lemon,.. Even names from vegetables, but the answer that I got was always the same, no one had seen the cat today.

I learned that the cat did frequently visit them the rest of the week though. It came for breakfast to the landlady at 7:10, at 7:35 it paid a visit to room nr°1, and so on. This explained why the cat was certainly not skinny, and I also learned that it had a huge appetite, being attracted to the apartments with the most delicious dishes.

Yerin and I returned to my appartment afterwards, both having received the same answers.

 

"Nothing."

"Same here."

Yerin sighed, restlessly looking around until her eyes suddenly lit up.

"I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter