Encounters

The Girl on the Train

In the train carriage, that Momo felt was more like a jam packed sardine can, was the girl that she woke up extra early and went through the hell that is standing in this rush hour train for. Squeezed between a very happy pubescent boy and a sleepy business woman was a girl who took Momo’s breath away, figuratively and literally. She had met her during a train ride home after practice one evening and had been literally ran into - knocking the wind out of her.

 

Momo lost an hour of sleep every morning and got to school too early for her liking for a girl that she didn't even know the name of. She had stopped herself numerous times in the morning, questioning why she put herself through this torture of sleep deprivation and then boredom at school. But as soon as she sees the girl on that train, contorted in an uncomfortable position, all of her questions were answered and her sleepiness was successfully chased away.

 

The first few times when she had caught herself doing what she was creepily doing, she was in total denial. How could someone she barely spoke two sentences to have such a hold on her? She spent nights thinking about her and mornings with an extra spring in her step just from the thought of catching a glimpse of her.

 

Maybe Momo was stupid alright - a little too infatuated for her own good. What else could explain the short moment of euphoria she feels by being in the same presence as the girl. She shared an entire carriage with probably hundreds of squashed people, and she had no complaint because she got to see the girl and how pretty and kept she looked in her uniform. How she toyed around with her phone because the ride was too awkward not to do nothing, was an endearing quirk Momo noticed. Or how the early sunlight reflected off her light chestnut hair, illuminating the silkiness of the locks.

 

Momo would catch herself smiling along when the girl smiled at her phone. How could someone be so beautiful?

 

By now she knew what school the girl went to, having spent nights researching what she could remember of the logo she saw on the girl’s blazer, even going as far as drawing it out from memory and asking her friends. The girl went to a school two stops before her own - some fancy private school. Momo had smiled dreamingly when she had finally discovered it - a school fitting for the girl’s image. A classy school for a classy girl.

 

Momo was pressed up against the door of the train, unfortunately on the opposite side of the girl who was closer to the other door of their carriage. In the frenzy of people scurrying off, Momo was saddened when she couldn't see the girl get off at her stop. The idea of maneuvering towards the other side to catch a glimpse of the girl was quickly stomped on when it felt like twice the amount of people who got off had gotten on.

 

This literally took her breath away. An elbow wedged in her stomach can have that effect.

 

She didn't care if she made a scene, but Momo had literally bent over, gasping for sweet, fresh air when she stepped foot off the train at her stop. How she had taken oxygen for granted.

 

She was still in her wheezing position when polished, black loafers came into view, coming to a stop in front of her. As creepy as she'll sound, Momo recognized those shoes. Her breathing became more laboured at the thought of the person connected to those shoes.

 

Now was not the time to hyperventilate, Momo scolded herself. Taking a deep breath, she tried to calm her pounding heart. Straightening herself up, she tried to smooth her uniform out with her clammy palms as she came face to face with the girl she’s been lowkey stalking.

 

She had an expressionless face, but then again she usually did, so it didn't phase Momo. But then she tilted her head a bit to the right and it took everything inside Momo not to squeal, because it was utterly adorable. The girl’s eyebrows began to furrow, as if she was in deep thought.

 

The moment finally presented itself and Momo had no clue on earth what to do. She didn't know if she should keep eye contact or to look away, because the girl’s stare was so intense it was starting to make her feel a little uncomfortable. And this is coming from a stalker.

 

Yes, Momo had finally accepted that she was a stalker.

 

When the silence was becoming too much for Momo, and she was still battling with fight or flight, the girl finally spoke. And this was the second time the girl literally took her breath away.


“So, when are you going to ask me out?”