Start All Over Again

Start Over
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It all happened so fast.

One minute he was juggling two cups of ice-coffee in his hands, eyes scanning across the dimly lit café and the next second, he notices a dash of plaid shirt and black hair running straight into him. Kim Ryeowook falls back on his ungracefully with a groan as he feels ice cold water sinks into his very white shirt.

Ryeowook raises his head with a glare, eyes cold with fury and rage. He’s annoyed and really angry and he’s ready to lash out at the reckless person who hit him before a rush of stuttering apologies cut him off.

“Oh god, I am so sorry, I’m- Oh look at your shirt, I’m sorry, again. . Look, I’m really-”

Ryeowook has never heard a sentence filled with so many sorrys and has never heard a voice that apologetic in a person. He finally looks up and his eyes falls upon the warmest pair of brown eyes he has ever seen. He’s stunned for a second unable to think or move because of those eyes until the person blinks. Ryeowook tilts his head, not realizing what just happened. For a moment there, he had just zoned out and it was like everything else in the world had just faded out.

He gets a closer look at the wrecking ball that hit him and Ryeowook swallows hardly because the man who is sprawled out on the floor in front of him is breathtakingly gorgeous with black hair combed off his forehead, plaid shirt and unholy tight jeans with cute round glass perched up his nose.

“Oh god, I really am sorry.” He says again, making a move to stand up only to accidentally step on a piece of ice cube and accidentally slipping onto the floor.

He groans and then curses and it sets something off Ryeowook as he finds himself gigglilng like it’s the funniest thing in the world. Somehow, as frustrated as he is that he has coffee all over himself, he stills finds this whole situation hilarious. The man opposite him tilts his head in confused but then his lips curve into a small and he finds himself laughing along at how silly the both of them look like this.

And just like that, they find themselves exchanging their names and soon, after cleaning up after themselves, they exchange numbers.

Donghae suggests Ryeowook a coffee treat, it’s the least he can do for having ruined Ryeowook’s shirt. Ryeowook agrees and they arrange the time and day. As soon as that’s settled, Donghae gets a phone call and looks back at Ryeowook apologetically telling him that he has to get going. As Ryeowook watches Donghae leaves, he doesn’t let himself feel upset, ignores the weird crazy thumps he feels in his heart and convinces himself that the next time they meet, it wouldn’t be a date.

***

The next time they meet, Donghae looks different.

Different as in good different. Or maybe an even better different. Donghae has his hair down and he’s not wearing his round spectacles today. He has on a simple black shirt and jeans and he looks incredibly handsome despite the all-too-simple outfit.

Donghae orders ice-coffee and cakes for the both of them and when their order arrives, he reaches into his jean pocket for his wallet. His face changes from a relaxed to a panicked state as he abruptly stands off his stool and begin to tap around his pants. Ryeowook’s looking at him weirdly and the waiter is waiting with a bored look on her face. Donghae then suddenly freezes and then he curses under his breath.

“,” Donghae whispers and then sheepishly looks at Ryeowook, “I…. Uh…. I think I forgot my wallet at home.”

Ryeowook breaks into a laugh because once again, he finds this so hilarious. Instead of being pissed, he pulls out his wallet and pays the water instead. When the waiter leaves, Donghae doesn’t look up from his ice-coffee, his lips formed into a childish pout.

“That wasn’t supposed to happen,” Donghae sighs, “I’m so sorry.”

“Guess you’ll just have to buy me two coffees next time, huh?” Ryeowook suggest, grinning.

Donghae tilts his head and a smile spreads across his lips. Ryeowook ignores how the handsome man’s smile has got him feeling all warm and fuzzy and he ignores how his heart is doing unnecessary flips all of a sudden.

They get to know one another a little bit better. Ryeowook introduces himself as an artist. He loves painting and drawing and Donghae tells Ryeowook that he works as a photographer and that he isn’t actually from here. He lives in Mokpo with his family but is currently in Seoul right now because of a project he’s working on.

“It’s a collaboration me and a few other photographers are working on,” Donghae enthusiastically tells Ryeowook, “Our gallery exhibition will be put up at the end of the month. It’ll…. Uh, it’ll be cool if you can make it.”

Ryeowook smiles but doesn’t offer any confirmation or promises. He doesn’t like this, doesn’t like the way he finds Donghae so attractive or that his heart is beating a little bit faster than normal whenever he’s around this guy.

They talk for a bit more and Ryeowook finds himself telling Donghae a little too much about his life and so halfway, he stops talking, reminds himself to put his walls up and keep them there and just opts to listen to Donghae tell him about his life back in Mokpo and his photographer friends who he is living with.

Donghae stops talking halfway, tilting his head and Ryeowook notices that Donghae’s head tilts reminds him of a lost adorable puppy, “Is everything alright? Am I making you bored?”

“Oh, no,” Ryeowook feels ashamed that Donghae notices that he’s not talking, “I’m just… Uh… Tired. Had a lot of work last night.”

“Ah, you must have lots of work,” Donghae apologizes, “I’m sorry for taking up so much time of yours.”

Ryeowook tells him that it’s quite alright and they finish off their drinks and cake. Ryeowook tells Donghae that he has to go and Donghae offers to walk him home.

“I’m… Uh… Actually meeting a friend,” Ryeowook finds himself lying, “So, I’ll just…”

“Right, right.” Donghae quickly says, “I guess then I’ll see you next time?”

“Yeah,” Ryeowook finds the words slipping right off his tongue before he’s able to stop himself.

When Donghae’s face lights up, Ryeowook forces himself to ignore the way he finds himself beaming back at him or how good and warm he suddenly feel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter