closer

To the Moon

Author's note:

okay but Minhyun wore a lab coat and black pants in the Boomerang MV and I freaked out

______

Whenever you see ♪♪♪ , please click on it! (open in new tab/window). It's music accompaniment for that part of the story! :)
Also, don't forget to turn off autoplay!

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

Kang Daniel – 33 years old

 

If he had to be honest, Jaehwan was surprised.

It was rare for Minhyun to say something this nice to him— that is, right in front of his face. They never really had many heart-to-heart talks that involved how much they... (Jaehwan tried to find the correct word)... appreciated each other?

So why the sudden expressing of emotions? Maybe dancing did things to people.

But if Jaehwan had to be honest again, he was happy. It made him happy to hear that Minhyun appreciated him being there, perhaps at the same level that Jaehwan felt. The younger doctor, as always, was thankful for his friend.

So he smiled and said, “I’m glad to have you with me too, hyung.”

And Minhyun smiled back. But somewhere in the back of Jaehwan’s mind, he thought there was something off with that smile. He began to wonder what it was—

—When a cheerful voice boomed over the speakers spread across the garden, cutting through his thoughts.

“Ladies and gentlemen, your attention please. This is Ong Seongwoo.”

Jaehwan turned to the direction of the voice, seeing both Seongwoo and Daniel standing in front of the altar.

“I hope the fireworks were cool enough,” Seongwoo continued, speaking into the microphone in his hand. After the crowd around him cheered, he grinned. “Glad to hear that. Now to the next thing.”

It was Daniel’s turn. “Me and Seongwoo were wondering whether to do this or not. But a lot of our friends urged us to, so here we go.”

Seongwoo’s other hand was holding something behind his back. He then whirled around dramatically, revealing the previously hidden object.

He held it out for the world to see, and the crowd exploded into cheers again.

Jaehwan gasped. Minhyun drew in a sharp breath.

It was a huge plushie sort of thing— and Jaehwan was wondering whether it was a dog or a bear or something in between. He couldn’t see well from this distance.

But at the moment he wasn’t preoccupied with the thought of the plushie’s mysterious species. He was more preoccupied with the fact that the doll was flickering.

“Of course that had to be the memento,” Minhyun mumbled under his breath.

Seongwoo held the doll above his head. “Here is my dear friend, Ongnable. You know the drill, ladies and gentlemen. Whoever catches this little guy will be the next to get married.”

And then he and Daniel turned around, holding tightly onto the doll. People from all over the garden poured to stand behind them, hands above their hands, smiles on their faces.

Minhyun quickly said, “Let’s just pause the memory and then get the memento— Jaehwan!”

Jaehwan was already sprinting towards the altar, zipping in between the crowds. He had played a lot of soccer when he was young, and rising victorious from many ping-pong matches was enough proof of his fast reflexes.  

“One...!” Daniel was saying, voice giggly. “Two...!”

Seongwoo joined him in the countdown.

“Three!”

Together, they tossed Ongnable behind them.

Slipping past two people in suits, Jaehwan jumped. The large doll collided with his hand, and he immediately grasped tightly onto it. Before the newlywed couple could see his face, Jaehwan began running back to Minhyun the second his feet hit the ground.

People clapped and cheered. Seongwoo let out a joyful laugh as he said, “Who’s that?”

Daniel yelled above the crowd, “Whoever you are, congratulations!”

Jaehwan then reached Minhyun, who was looking at him with a ‘why are you like this?’ face.

But he didn’t stop running. He grabbed Minhyun’s hand and pulled him along.

The crowd went crazy.

“CONGRATULATIONS!” Daniel yelled again with a laugh.

The two doctors continued to run as the cheers grew deafening, and Jaehwan could have sworn he saw Kim Doyeon and Choi Yoojung giving them a double-thumbs up as they passed by.

“Go, Minhyun, go!” one of the girls was shouting.

When they were finally deep within the hedge maze again, Jaehwan allowed his legs to give out. He let go of Minhyun’s hand and slumped to the ground, arms wrapping around Ongnable.

He was still gasping for breath when Minhyun sat down next to him. “You are crazy,” the older doctor simply said.

“Craziness got us the memento,” Jaehwan wheezed back. He then held out the doll to his friend. “Will you do the honors?”

Minhyun smiled again— a slight tug at the corner of his lips that didn’t quite look like a smile. “Alright.”

The older doctor started pressing buttons on his wristwatch to prepare the memento, his cheeks still a light color of red (probably from the exertion of running, Jaehwan thought). A minute later and the memento was ready for activation.

Minhyun placed his hand on the doll, which was now cradled in Jaehwan’s arms.

The younger doctor suddenly said, “I think I remember a photo of Seongwoo with Ongnable wrapped around his waist.” He played with the doll’s floppy ears. 

“Is the doll even supposed to be used that way?” Minhyun asked.

“Dunno. It’s cute though.”

“Yeah. Cute.”

Just then they heard voices coming from outside the maze. Still far enough to not be able to comprehend what was being said, but close enough that the two doctors knew it was time to go.

“Let’s not get caught,” Minhyun said quickly.

Jaehwan nodded, fiddling with his wristwatch. “Visibility and audio off.” 

After two seconds of flickering, the two doctors were invisible and muted again.

Jaehwan continued to fiddle and soon his clothes flickered as well, the suit replaced by the signature Sigmund Corp lab coat and black pants. Minhyun did the same before closing his eyes.

“Activate memento.”

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

 

Kang Daniel – 32 years old

 

“So where exactly are we going again?”

“Just to get some dinner. There’s this nice place with great food and great music. I think you’ll like it.”

“Okay, Niel. I trust you.”

They were in a large living room. Hugging Ongnable to his chest, Seongwoo was curled up on the couch, ready to stand up when Daniel said, “I’ll get your shoes.”

Minhyun looked around. “Is this Daniel’s house?”

“Nice place,” Jaehwan commented, letting out an impressed whistle. Then he focused on their client again.

Daniel returned with a pair of shoes, grinning.

Seongwoo held out his hand, but Daniel shook his head again.

“I’ll do it for you,” the younger man said, earning a chuckle from the other.

Setting the doll on the couch, Seongwoo sat up straight with a surprised but warm expression on his face. “Wow. My Prince Charming.”

Daniel got down on one knee and carefully slipped Seongwoo’s socked feet into each shoe— gently and carefully. “There we go.”

“Thanks.”

Seconds passed and Daniel stayed in that position. He looked up to see Seongwoo staring curiously at him.

“Daniel?”

But the younger man suddenly glanced at the clock on the wall. “Oh geez, it’s that time already?”

Seongwoo followed his gaze. “6:35 PM. It’s not too late. What’s the prob—?” But his voice trailed off when he turned back to look at the other man, who was still on one knee.

And who was now holding a small box in his hand, a ring glistening from it.

Daniel continued to smile, with a faint trace of nervousness. “Ong Seongwoo, will you marry me?”

A few more seconds passed. Seongwoo’s bottom lip was quivering, tears already forming in his eyes. Then he flung himself forwards and enveloped Daniel in a tight hug, as if he was never going to let go.

“Of course, you big dummy. Of course, I will.”

With a relieved and blissful laugh, Daniel hugged him back.

 

 

Minhyun found the memento quickly. It was a cellphone that lay on the kitchen table.

                                                    

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

 

Kang Daniel – 31 years old

 

Skyscrapers stretched out above them, as if touching the clouds that were pouring torrents of rain below.

Jaehwan and Minhyun quickly scrambled underneath the closest storefront with a roof. They stared at the sky for a bit— gray and bleak.

Then Jaehwan looked around. They were in the city, but the streets were... oddly empty? There were no cars on the roads, no loud honking. For a split second, it felt like a ghost town. Not a single soul in sight.

But then he squinted through the rain and could make out the forms of other people. They were all underneath a large wall-less tent, huddled close together.

“There, hyung,” Jaehwan said, pointing in the direction of where their client should be. Minhyun nodded and they both ran out, facing the rain.

It was wet and cold, but soon they could see Daniel and the people around them.

Kang Daniel wore normal casual clothes, but Jaehwan knew that they were a designed costume. Eyes on a middle-aged man in front of him, Daniel looked serious and attentive.

After finding a spot under the tent to shield them from the rain, Minhyun bent down to whisper in his friend’s ear.

“I know why the streets are empty. This is a film set.”

Jaehwan nodded. He had seen the cameras and the monitors. The clapperboard lying on the nearest table was also a big giveaway. “So they must’ve blocked off some roads,” he said.

It was Minhyun’s turn to nod. “Must be one of Daniel’s films.”

“And the man there must be the director.”

“Yup.”

Daniel, along with the people around them, continued to listen to the director’s every word. Finally after a few tense seconds, the director stood up and addressed the crowd.

“We’ll resume filming after the rain stops.”

A collective mumble of agreement droned over the film crew. Daniel made his way to an empty chair and took a seat, watching the rain.

For a while, the two doctors focused on Daniel’s gaze and little movements. Anything could provide to be a clue to the whole mystery enveloping their patient. But after a few minutes, Daniel’s eyes glazed over, and it was obvious that he was lost in thought.

Jaehwan then looked up at the clouds above. There wasn’t even a small glint of light that signaled the sun’s location.

Then Minhyun suddenly stepped out into the rain, tilting his head up at the sky. His eyes were closed as droplets of water fell on him.

It would be a lie if Jaehwan said that he wasn’t a little bit freaked out. He rushed forwards, grabbing onto his friend’s arm. “Hyung! What are you doing?”

Minhyun smiled and this time Jaehwan realized— it was a sad smile.

Wet black hair brushing his now open eyes, Minhyun glanced at the shorter doctor. “The rain feels nice.”

“Hyung, are you okay?”

“I’m fine. It’s a good idea to feel what Daniel felt, right? Maybe he stood in the rain like this. Maybe he let the water soak his skin a bit.” There was a pause. “We need to understand Kang Daniel as much as possible.”

“Ri-Right...” 

“Jaehwan, have you ever had your heart broken?”

The question took him by surprise. “What?”

Minhyun continued to look at him, the sad smile still on his lips. “Have you?”

Seconds passed as Jaehwan returned the gaze, his mind churning, flashbacks unintentionally playing in his head. Finally he answered, with a voice so quiet, “You know the answer to that, hyung.”

The rain roared in their ears, soaking the two doctors to the skin. Minhyun slowly nodded.

“Why are you asking this? So that we understand Daniel more?”

“Yes,” Minhyun answered, but Jaehwan could hear the uncertainly in his voice. “Both Daniel and Seongwoo must have had their hearts broken.” Minhyun then turned back to look at their client, who was still seated, whose eyes were still on the sky. “Maybe a couple of times. What do you think they did with those broken hearts?”

Jaehwan continued staring at his friend. “We’ll find out in the next memories.”

“You’re right.”

Another pause. Finally Minhyun began walking towards the tent again, and Jaehwan quickly followed.

The younger doctor still felt uneasy.

More minutes passed and the sun began to peek through the clouds. The rain lessened to a soft drizzle. The film crew began to move, setting up cameras and various equipment.

Kang Daniel slowly stood up and made his way to the director.  

“Ready for this scene, Niel?”

Daniel grinned, eyes focused once again. “Yes, sir.”

The director smiled. “Well, you did write the story. So I guess you’re prepared for all the things that’s gonna happen.”

Looking proud and slightly bashful, Daniel nodded. “That’s right, sir.”

“Then let’s get started.”

The two doctors followed as both Daniel and the director made their way to the streets. The silence that engulfed the location before was completely gone now, filled with chatter and mumbles as the crew prepared for the next scene.

“Daniel wrote the story for this film?” Minhyun asked.

“Yeah. I watched this one before.” Jaehwan looked around, already recognizing the buildings and overall layout. “Daniel wrote the whole thing. Screenplay by Kang Daniel, starring Kang Daniel.”

“How about Ong Seongwoo?”

Jaehwan shook his head. “He’s not in this film. He was working on other projects at that time.”

“I see.”

“I think this is the scene where Daniel saves a little boy from a car.”

Proving Jaehwan’s guess, a young boy around eight years old arrived at the site. He exchanged greetings with Daniel before separating to stand on separate sides of the road.

When the director yelled “action!”, Jaehwan found himself holding his breath. He knew it was just a film, and yet somehow his heart began beating a little too fast for comfort.

The little boy began to cross the street, walking towards Daniel. Meters away, a black car slowly drove towards them. Thanks to the camera angle and editing, it would appear to be careening towards the small actor.

Daniel’s eyes widened as he saw the car. He then ran forwards, hands held out in front of him. Panic tearing through his voice, he yelled, “Watch out, kid!”

Two bodies collided as Daniel wrapped the boy in his arms, lifting him up and continuing to run. He didn’t stop till they reached the sidewalk again, the car passing the place where they stood seconds ago.

Daniel gently set the little boy down and crouched down to his height. “You okay?”

With a nod, the boy smiled gratefully. “I’m fine. Thanks, mister!”

The relieved grin on Daniel’s face was radiant.

“Cut!”

Jaehwan flinched, forgetting for a brief moment that this was all acting.

The director clapped his hands a few times. “Good job, you two. That was great. Daniel— Daniel, what’s wrong?”

Daniel was hunched over, clutching his head, eyes tightly shut. “I’m fine,” he said, a slight hiss of pain in his voice. “Just a little headache.”

The younger actor looked worried, asking if Daniel was okay. The latter replied with a nod and comforting smile.

But the director would not have it. He stopped the shooting for a few minutes, allowing Daniel to rest for a little bit.

And so it was with an unclear expression that Daniel made his way to the dressing room, closing the door behind him (right after the two Sigmund Corp doctors slipped inside).

Letting out a tired sigh, Daniel collapsed into a chair. He paid no attention to the mirror in front of him as he closed his eyes, allowing himself to rest.

Then something happened. Jaehwan thought that he was seeing things, but tears had started forming at the corner of Daniel’s eyes. It even took Daniel a while to realize that he was crying.

Eyes now wide open, Daniel stared at the mirror.

The tears were beginning to fall now. And Daniel looked surprised at his reflection as well. With the sleeve of his shirt, he wiped his eyes. “It’s rain water,” he mumbled to himself, ever so slowly. “What the...”

But it wasn’t rain water. Because the tears kept coming and coming, and he winced every once in a while as another headache overcame him.

Jaehwan watched as Daniel picked up a small black bag from the floor. His big hands fumbled as he pulled out a phone from it, quickly speed-dialing a familiar number.

One single ring passed when Daniel spoke into the receiver.

“Seongwoo...”

The voice on the other end was cheerful.

“Daniel! How’s the filming so far?”

“It’s... It’s going fine.”

Silence filled the room as Seongwoo seemed to notice the tremble in Daniel’s voice.

“Daniel... What’s wrong?”

A shaky smile made its way to Daniel’s lips. “I dunno. I think I’m just tired.”

“You’re crying.”

“I think the rain’s making me emotional or something. I don’t get it either.” Daniel let out a soft laugh, clearly baffled by the whole situation. “I just don’t get it.”

There was another silence. The smile on Daniel’s face became more firm, more steady.

“But I feel much better after hearing your voice,” he said, holding the phone with both hands, letting it rest comfortably against his ear. “Thanks, Seongwoo.”

“Niel, I’m coming over there.”

Daniel blinked. “I thought you had a schedule today.”

“I finished it up a few minutes ago. I’ll be there in an hour, okay?”

Wiping his eyes, Daniel let the grin grow on his face. “You’re the best, you know that?”

“I know.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too, Niel-ah.”

“I’ll see you soon.”

It was easy to imagine the smile on Ong Seongwoo’s face. “See you.”

After the phone call, Daniel wiped his eyes again one last time. He stared at himself in the mirror, mumbling under his breath, “Get ahold of yourself, Daniel...”

With another sharp intake of breath, Daniel turned around and left the room.

The two doctors exchanged glances, confusion clear on each other’s faces.

“What happened to Daniel?” Minhyun muttered.

From the very beginning, Jaehwan had a bad feeling about the whole Kang Daniel case, but the feeling grew worse and worse the deeper they got into the memories.

He walked towards the mirror, eyes on the bag that lay on the floor. He ped it, rummaging inside.

“Looking for the memento?” Minhyun asked.

“Yeah,” Jaehwan answered, still digging through the bag’s contents. “Ah, found it.”

Car keys. It flickered in the palm of the younger doctor’s hand.

“I guess we’re going on a car ride, hyung.”

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

Kang Daniel – 30 years old

 

Ong Seongwoo was a really good driver. He made sure to drive at the right speed, knew to take it slow on road bumps, and chose the right moments to steal glances at the man seated next to him.

And the man would catch his eye, smiling a bunny-toothed smile.

“Eyes on the road,” Daniel said, as Seongwoo stole another quick glance in his direction.

“Don’t worry," Seongwoo replied. "You’re in good hands.”

From the backseat, Jaehwan said, “Road trip!” As he shifted to a more comfortable sitting position, his thigh brushed against Minhyun’s. Somehow they entered the memory exactly right next to each other.

Without a word, Minhyun carefully scooted away.

For a bit, they watched the scenery pass by them as Seongwoo and Daniel continued their drive. Jaehwan saw cherry blossom trees and a bright sun, along with some old buildings scattered about.

“It must be spring,” he said softly. Minhyun nodded.

The car eventually came to a stop in front of a two-story café in the mountains. The cool air could be felt through the vehicle’s open windows.

Seongwoo excitedly unbuckled, a huge grin on his face. “Let’s go!” He swung open the door, letting out a sigh as his feet touched the gravel of the parking lot.

But Daniel made no move to follow. Still seated, his eyes were on Seongwoo, an unreadable expression on his face. Seongwoo cocked his head to the side questioningly.

Then Jaehwan could see the slight wavering of Danel’s gaze. He was nervous.

Finally, Daniel exited the car. Slowly, he made his way to the older man till he stood in front of him.

With the windows and car door still open, the two doctors could easily hear their conversation.

“Seongwoo.”

“Yeah?”

Daniel pulled on a smile. “Will you go out with me?”

Seongwoo stared at him, eyes wide in surprise. He then cleared his throat. “Well, uh. We are outside.”

With a laugh, Daniel rolled his eyes. “You know what I mean.”

A pause filled the silence as Seongwoo looked at him, his face gentle. There was nobody else around— their car being the only vehicle parked at the café— so the silence was even more evident. “Our music video... you interpreted it as a romantic one?”

Daniel chuckled, albeit a little nervously. “Didn’t you?”

“...I did, actually.”

Daniel’s face brightened.

“Are you asking me out on a date?” Seongwoo said.  “Or are you asking me out as in ‘do you want to date me?’ As in ‘do you want to be my boyfriend?’”

“Both.”

“You’re pretty straightforward.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

Seongwoo seemed to think for a bit. “No, not really.”

"I'm gonna be completely honest." Daniel took a few steps towards the older man. “When we first met, things just clicked, you know?” He smiled again. “It was as if I'd known you for years and years.”

Seongwoo’s breath hitched as Daniel carefully took his hand.

“It felt... comfortable to be with you, Seongwoo.”

Seongwoo expression grew more gentle, more warm. He returned the squeeze of Daniel’s hand. “I felt the same way too,” he said.

Daniel closed his eyes as Seongwoo tugged on the collar of his shirt, pulling him down till their lips met.

The kiss was soft and gentle, as if the two men wanted to convey all that they felt— as much as possible. And they must have succeeded, because when they pulled apart seconds later, the smiles on their faces showed just how happy and relieved they were.

Seongwoo afterwards went to the car to roll up the windows and lock the doors. He then returned to Daniel, who took his hand again.

Like two excited little kids, Kang Daniel and Ong Seongwoo ran towards the café.

Jaehwan turned to see his friend holding a small, flickering book.

“It was in the glove compartment,” Minhyun said. “We’re getting closer to the hiatus memory. We’ll get there soon.”

With a nod, Jaehwan put his hand on the book.  “Let’s go.”

 

 

 

 

---  

 

 

 

Kang Daniel – 30 years old

 

Instead of the rain, snow fell lightly from the sky.

Kang Daniel was wearing a thick black coat, hands shoved into the pockets for warmth. His breath was visible in the air as he walked.

As Jaehwan and Minhyun followed after him, the younger doctor took in their surroundings. They were back in the city, far from the colorful leaves of the mountains.

“Winter again,” Minhyun observed. He glanced at his watch. “And Daniel is still 30 years old.”

“Which means this memory took place not long before the memory of Daniel confessing,” Jaehwan concluded. “If this is the moment where Daniel first met Seongwoo, then this must be sometime in January.”

They watched as Daniel stopped in front of a small café.

“This is the place, right...?” Daniel mumbled to himself. He then pushed open the door, hearing welcoming bells clinging above his head.

The two doctors slipped in before the door shut. Jaehwan’s eyes darted around the small building, seeing the small tables and the occupants bent over cups of warm coffee. The café was half full with customers, all who were busy with their own business.

Daniel looked around before pulling out his phone. He dialed a number and waited.

 

 

♪♪♪

 

 

“Hello?”

The soft voice sounded from the phone, but Jaehwan could also hear the voice echoing from across the room. Ong Seongwoo was seated at the corner of the café, holding a phone to his ear.

“I just arrived,” Daniel said. “Where are you?”

“I’m at the table in the corner,” Seongwoo answered. “I’m wearing a black turtleneck. Wait, I see you.”

The older man then stood up, waving at Daniel.

Daniel’s jaw dropped. And it stayed hanging as he stared at Seongwoo, whose arm seemed to get tired from all the waving.

“You okay there?” Seongwoo laughed, smiling brightly.

After seconds of gaping, Daniel finally regained composure and walked to Seongwoo’s table. He held out his hand, and the other man shook it without a second’s hesitation.

“I’m Kang Daniel. It’s nice to meet you.”

Seongwoo seemed to be analyzing Daniel, who grew a little nervous under the intense gaze. But the smile never left Seongwoo’s face, and he finally let go of Daniel’s hand after one final shake. “Ong Seongwoo. Nice to meet you too.”

Grinning from ear to ear, Daniel sat down. He took off his coat and hung it on the chair.

A waitress passed by with a notepad, and Daniel ordered a bagel and coffee. After the waitress left, Daniel turned back to face the man in front of him.

“What were you reading?” Daniel asked.

“Oh, this.” Seongwoo picked up the book that he had placed on the table when receiving the call. A cup of coffee lay next to it. “It’s poetry.”

Daniel’s eyes lit up. “You like poetry too, hyung?”

“Of course I do,” Seongwoo answered, his eyes fixed on Daniel. “Wait. Did you just call me ‘hyung’?”

Daniel looked a little flustered. “You— You’re older than me, right?”

“Yeah, but...” Seongwoo’s voice trailed off.

“Am I acting too friendly? Sorry, I’ll—”

“No, it’s fine.” Seongwoo pulled on a reassuring smile, resting his chin on his hand, his elbow on the table. “Who knows? We might even be close enough that you’ll drop the honorifics.”

A blush made its way to Daniel’s face. “Yeah. I hope so.”

It was a heartwarming sight, but Jaehwan felt a little uneasy. He looked around and found out why.

Other occupants of the café were looking at Daniel and Seongwoo’s table. Some whispered among themselves. Jaehwan could hear some of them, and he felt more and more uncomfortable with every word.

“Is that Kang Daniel?”

“Yes, that’s Kang Daniel!”

“He’s done with his hiatus?”

“The man with him... that’s Ong Seongwoo, right? The actor?”

“There’s no doubt about it. That’s him.”

“What are they doing together?”

And Jaehwan also noticed how Seongwoo was alert, obviously aware that people were talking about him and Daniel. It seemed that Seongwoo could feel their eyes on him, but he still kept a warm composure in front of the man in front of him.

The waitress returned with Daniel’s food and drink. She set them carefully on the table before leaving again.

“I’m sure we’ll get along well,” Seongwoo said, as Daniel took a sip of coffee. “You look great, by the way.”

Daniel choked a little. He set the cup down, trying to look like nothing happened. “Um... thanks.”

“You were on hiatus for two years,” Seongwoo explained, unfazed. “Your fans and others were worried that you weren’t taking care of yourself well.” There was a pause. “I was worried too.”

The blush grew deeper on Daniel’s cheeks. “Are you my fan, hyung?”

Seongwoo just replied with another smile.

“Thanks for the worry,” Daniel then said. “But I’m fine, really.”

A sort of wistful look was on Seongwoo’s face. But he blinked and leaned forwards on the table, a playful smirk on his lips. “So. I saw the concept and story for the music video.”

“What do you think about it?”

“It’s interesting. A bit ambiguous, but I think that’s intentional so the viewers can use their imagination. The relationship between the two men in the story could be interpreted as brothers, close friends, or perhaps...”

“Or perhaps they're a couple?” Daniel blurted out loud. His eyes then went wide, as if realizing what he just said, and the implications behind it. “Oh , sorry. I’m getting too ahead of myself.” He then looked at the floor, averting his gaze from Seongwoo’s face. “But— But then again, it’ll just be acting. I— I didn’t mean anything by it.”

But Seongwoo just continued to smile, his expression becoming even fonder.

Daniel sat up straight, heart no doubt banging against his chest as Seongwoo spoke again.

“You’re an interesting person, Kang Daniel.”

 

 

Time passed as the two continued their conversation. Both Daniel and Seongwoo did indeed look comfortable around each other, and soon they were both expressing themselves in their own ways— Seongwoo with his jokes and Daniel with his endless laughter at every little thing.

Snow continued to fall outside as the sky grew darker. By the time that Seongwoo had to head back home, stars were already shining brightly.

“I’ll see you on set then,” Daniel said, unable to hide his disappointment, reluctant to see Seongwoo go.

Seongwoo nodded. “Don’t be blown away by my amazing acting skills.”

Daniel laughed. “We’ll see about that.”

After another warm smile, Seongwoo made his way to the door.

And Daniel kept his eyes on him, even long after he disappeared from sight.

 

 

Minutes passed and Daniel let out a long, happy sigh. He took off the watch that he wore, holding it in both hands. “Wow. We’ve talked for that long,” he muttered, setting the watch on the table, next to the untouched bagel and empty cup of coffee. 

“Memento,” Jaehwan and Minhyun said at the same time.

“Jinx,” Jaehwan then said.

“Come on.”

It was strange. They were in a bright and cozy café, and yet Jaehwan felt a chill run down his spine. As if some unseen darkness enveloped the entire building.

He reached out to grab onto Minhyun’s arm.

The taller doctor turned to look at him. “Jaehwan?”

Jaehwan stood still, feeling Minhyun tense up underneath his fingers. “The hiatus memory. It should be after this, right?”

“It should be.”

“What do you think we’ll see, hyung?”

Minhyun’s lips parted and closed, as if trying to find the right words. “Whatever it is, it can’t be good. It might be the root to the whole mystery. To why Seongwoo looks so sad at times. To what Daniel’s father did, and to why Seongwoo is so angry at him.” He paused, voice growing softer. “To Daniel’s motive for going to the moon.”

Heartbeat becoming quick, Jaehwan nodded. “Here we go then.”

They fixed their eyes on the flickering watch on the table. Daniel was still smiling to himself, as if reliving his meeting with Seongwoo.

“Here we go,” Minhyun confirmed.

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Author's end notes:

((The doll toss idea was inspired by this moment when I attended a family wedding and instead of a bouquet, the bride and groom threw a doll. It was cute and fluffy.

also, I pictured the car in this story as the car that Ongniel used in Wanna One Go season 1)).

 

__

 

Sorry for the slow update! :( I'm currently working on my thesis, so the next update will be slow as well until I finish it :")
(and guess what, the thesis is about memories, lol)

 

In the meantime, anyone wanna talk a walk though the Broduce 101 memory lane?
clicky clicky --> 「FMV」 Produce 101 - Photograph

(I put my heart and soul into that video yes this is a shameless promotion)

 

 

__

The mystery will start unfolding in the next chapter!
As always, thanks for reading! ❤