BREATHING (final)

BREATHING

BREATHING

"I'm still perturbed as to why they put the El Dorado set as last. We usually put it first." Jongdae wondered loudly beside Baekhyun. The latter beagle just hummed in response as he was busy with his phone. Minseok pouted a bit as well at the question. "Now that you mention it, maybe it's because one of the great performances we always have so they wanted to end this 5-day concert with it?" Chanyeol mentioned, popping behind the eldest.

Jongin and Sehun were paying no heed at the on going conversation as they're busy polishing their dance. Kyungsoo just looked at them with a neutral face. "What do you think Suho-ah?" Xiumin asked their leader.

Junmyeon pursed his lip for a bit before shrugging. "You all know how dynamic SM can be. Let's just rest and do it like always." He smiled which made the others cheer up a bit.

Chanyeol placed his head on Baekhyun's shoulder, peeking at the vocalist's phone. "Taehyung? Bangtan?" The rapper asked. Baekhyun nodded. "He was just asking some stuff and he is inviting me for coffee." "The usual once a month hangout of yours?" Chanyeol pouted. "Yep." Baekhyun answered cheekily. He then coughed a bit which made the latter worry. "Are you okay?"

Baekhyun nodded with a soft smile. "I'm just tired." He said while holding his chest and trying to calm his breathing. Chanyeol patted Baekhyun's back before leaving him with a soft whisper of "Rest well."

"Jongdae-ah. Can I have some water?" Baekhyun asked, body slightly heaving due to breathlessness. Kyungsoo noticed it, his eyes casting worry glances towards him. Chen handed him a bottle which the beagle line bacon happily accepted. "Komawo."

They all huddled after a little while, placing their arms around each others' waist. "EXO saranghaja!" 

-----------------------------------------------

They walked up front and the spotlight focused on Kyungsoo as he sang his part beautifully. Members started picking up their long lightsticks except for Baekhyun who stood at the middle, clenching his fist on his chest.

"Nal mideojun"

He focused.

"geudeurege"

He smiled and then gave off a fierce aura.

"olhassdago"

He then belted out powerfully. "Jeungmyeonghae boilgeoya" Everyone smiled at the excquisite high note then they continued dancing.

"Uri ape pyeolchyeojin jeo bit sogeuro
Geu nugudo moreuneun miraereul hyanghae
Meon husnare jeonseori doel georeum
The El Dorado"

Baekhyun swayed a bit, his eyes starting to lose focus. He shook his head and tried to focus his attention, letting the adrenaline rush from the loud cheers do its work for him to be able to lift the lightsabers and dance.

"Gateun haneul gateun ireum arae
Urin hanagie seororeul mideo
Oh El Dorado rado"

"I know it’s there." He gave it out so steadily and beautifully causing a larger cheer to happen.

"Sail sail sail gotta gotta go go
Gotta find the El Dorado El Dorado do
Sail sail sail gotta gotta go go
Gotta find the El Dorado El Dorado"

He almost fell to his knees but he pushed himself and gave off a forced smile.

"Jeo meolli moraero doen nopeun pado
Tto morachyeo wado urin dasi majseo gyeolguk
El Dorado"

He gripped the lightsticks harder. 

"Sail sail sail gotta gotta go go
Gotta find the El Dorado El Dorado"

When the song ended and lights faded followed by the loud cheers, he felt the adrenaline leave his body like a strong river flow. He dropped the lightsticks which caught the attention of the maknae line near him. He knelt down, trying to catch his breath but failing.

"HYUNG!" Sehun loudly called out causing the other members to look at them. Baekhyun gasped and choked then all he could feel was his body falling towards the ground. "Hyung!" Jongin catched him and both of the maknaes turned him and opened his shirt button while fanning.

Kyungsoo ran towards the vocalist. "He is gasping for air." He said. "Don't crowd the area." He rubbed the chest of Baekhyun and soon Baekhyun's heaving softened then he fainted. "Let's go backstage."

The other members walked behind while Chanyeol carries the limp body of their fellow member and Kyungsoo rubbed his hand. 

"What happened?" Junmyeon asked as soon as they settled Baekhyun on the couch. "He just suddenly collapsed hyung. He seems to be having trouble breathing after the song." Jongin explained.

Minseok stared a bit before sighing. "He was swaying a bit before his high notes. He has been enduring it the whole time." The eldest said, wiping the sweat from the sleeping form's face and neck.

Their manager rushed towards their room and sighed in relief when they found them just huddled at one side next to Baekhyun and are not panicking. "I should've known." Their manager murmured. "What is it hyung?" Jongdae asked.

"Don't worry. Let's go back to the dorms after you all dress up. Change Baekhyun's clothes as well." Then their manager left leaving them dumbfounded.

Chanyeol carried Baekhyun to their van and layed him at the backseat while Jongdae and him support his head and legs. Everyone was worried so the journey back was eaten by silence.

When the tall rapper finally put the unconscious vocalist on the bed beside his and tucked him in the confines of his blanket, he walked back to the living room where everyone was waiting. "Are you sure we don't have to bring him to the hospital or to a doctor at least?" Jongdae asked their manager warily.

The manager just sighed. "He is fine. Just wait for him to wake up. If you really want to know then call his brother. I just want you all to know that you should've noticed this before." Then he left.

EXO looked at each other, puzzled, before deciding to heed the advice of their hyung. "Baekbom-hyung." Junmyeon spoke while they huddled altogether to see the screen. The oldest Byun waved at them with a smile. "I'm surprised you all call me. Did my brother do something drastic once again?"

"Ani hyung." Jongin said. "He is, asleep right now but hyung, he fainted after the concert." Minseok reported, taking the older brother mode. Baekbom gave a worried look before sighing. "He seems to be having difficulty in breathing." Kyungsoo spoke softly.

Baekbom bit his lip and smiled at them afterwards, worry still palpable in his eyes. "Ah, I wish I could go there right now."

"What's wrong with him hyung?" The maknae asked.

Baekbom clicked his tongue and turned his face away from the screen. "Ya, Baekhyun-ah!" He screamed a bit. "Why do you have to worry me too much? I've told you to take enough rest. It's a 5-day concert and with your weak lungs you can't-"

"WEAK LUNGS?" EXO members chided in chorus which surprised the ranting older Byun. "What? You mean, you don't know?"

All the members looked at each other with wide eyes before shaking their heads. Baekbom sighed dejectedly. "Aish, that kid really pisses me off. Ya! Tell him that he will be in really bad position when he goes home!

And EXO yoreobeun, take care of my brother. Force him to say and explain everything to you so that he would not feel the need to keep the pain. I don't know how, torture him if you had to but, it's a request of a brother to men." Baekbom smiled at them and the EXO members all nodded before bidding the man goodbye.

"So he has been hiding from us for 5 years?" Chanyeol muttered in frustration. "Ah. That guy really is something."

Junmyeon released a breath and looked at s firmly. "Rest, and we'll talk to him tomorrow."

"Ne."

-----------------------------------------------

Kyungsoo woke up due to the noise coming from the kitchen. It was not that loud that even Kai who was a light sleeper during the nighttime didn't wake up. With his mind filled with random thoughts from the previous day, he carefully walked out of the room to find a Byun Baekhyun carrying food from the fridge to the balcony.

Baekhyun slid off the sliding door and stepped out, quietly closing the door and sitting down while hugging his knees. Kyungsoo opened the door as well and this caught the beagle line bacon's attention as he stared eyes wide, almost dropping the piece of bread between his teeth.

"K-kyungsoo-ah." Baekhyun stuttered followed by a nervous chuckle. The younger sat down beside his fellow vocalist who scooted over and then draped a thick blanket around them. "If you're going to stay out here at least let yourself remain properly heated."

Baekhyun smiled warmly at the concern. "Komawo, Kyung."

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun sat together, sipping their drinks silently, watching the sun slowly rise from its slumber behind the array of buildings. "It's getting colder, Baek. It's bad for your lungs."

The other vocalist's eyes widened upon hearing the latter's statement, the can making a clinking sound as it falls to the balcony floor. Kyungsoo's large eyes and neutral face met his gaze making him feel smaller. "How?"

"I speak the least, well not so with Umin-hyung but the point is, I observe more." He uttered. "Baekbom-hyung just confirmed my suspicions. You've been taking medicines secretly and the usual hangouts once a month, those are for check-ups aren't they? But this is the first time you didn't have any excuse to exit the sight of our members upon feeling that it might kick in."

Baekhyun shuddered, his eyes watering at the sudden onslaught of emotions. "I was waiting for you to tell us." Kyungsoo continued. "I was hoping, for 3 years, that you'll at least tell us a gist of it. I didn't tell them because it's not my job to do so but I did promise that if something happened to you like fainting then and there, I'll tell them even if you hate me."

Kyungsoo took hold of Baekhyun's clenched fist and wrapped his arm to the neck of the beagle line, putting his head on his shoulders. It was a bit unusual but Baekhyun loved the warmth of it, his tears flowing freely from his eyes. "You speak a lot but you never really share."

Baekhyun chuckled. "I'm so touched, that Mr. Do Kyungsoo is concerned of my well-being." Kyungsoo just hummed. "Mianhae and komawo. I guess I have no choice but to face them later."
The younger nodded. "Let's go back?" 

They went inside after disposing their trash and they lied down together on the couch, falling asleep instantly due to the fatigue and tiredness overwhelming their bodies.

Morning came quickly and the maknae entered the living room with most of the members looking at he couch with enthusiastic smiles. "What's wrong hyungs?" Sehun asked, yawning a bit before his eyes settled on the center of attentions. Baekhyun was sleeping under the embrace of a dozing Kyungsoo.

Jongin chuckled before taking enough pictures to last a week of teasing. Xiumin emerged from the kitchen holding a cup of coffee while Chanyeol was carrying hot chocolates and pancakes. They sat around until the two groaned and started waking up.

"Kyungsoo-ah, Baekhyun-ah, why are you both sleeping here?" Jongdae asked while shoving a slice of pancake to the half-awake beagle baek. "Nothing in particular." Kyungsoo muttered nonchalantly before sipping the hot chocolate.

Chanyeol was staring at Baekhyun the whole time giving the latter the chills. "Seriously, Chan, is there something on my face?"

Junmyeon sighed. "Let's now have the talk, shall we?" Baekhyun gulped nervously while the others agreed to their leader.

"So, tell us what happened and what you're hiding." Minseok started.

Baekhyun fidgeted under their scrutinizing gazes. "I don't know what hyung told you all but I hope you'll not hate me for keeping it and you'll let me explain."

They all nodded making him feel at ease. He inhaled and released a heavy sigh. "I was born with weak lungs. My parents and hyung treated me like I'm fragile so I had it all easy and I really didn't like it so when I found that I can sing, I realized that maybe this is a turning point." He smiled fondly at the memories, not meeting the gazes of anyone around him.

"I was happy, singing in front of my classmates and friends, until I was scouted in front of the school gates. It was during the formation of EXO when SM discovered my illness. I fainted on stage while rehearsing and I was adviced not to take heavy jobs. With the schedule of idols, I was bound to be useless." Kyungsoo and Sehun held the hands of Baekhyun for support as the vocalist seems to be in the verge of breaking down. "But I still did my best and so I was brought to EXO wherein there are 12 members. I wasn't meant to stand out, just a backup singer but my voice was unique according to seonsaengnim and so I was given good parts."

"I want you to treat me like equals and so I didn't tell you. I'm sorry." Baekhyun cried like a kid and they engulfed him in a hug. His wailing subsided into sobs, his head buried at the crook of the maknae's neck. "But you're taking medicines, so why did you collapse yesterday?"

Baekhyun sniffled, not raising his head from the maknae. "My lungs are getting worse."

All of them released shuddering breaths, strength and energy leaving their body upon hearing those 5 words. "So, the EXO showtime challenge regarding holding long notes, you lost not for variety sake?" Jongdae asked, his frown not meeting the eyes of the still vocalist who just nodded in response. "And the reason you also didn't meet the high note in the Weekly Idol, was because of it?" Xiumin questioned sternly. Again, Baekhyun only nodded. Sehun carressed his hyung's neck to comfort as once again, Baekhyun's body trembled due to tears.

"Byun Baekhyun." Junmyeon spoke earning a silence from the band. "The high notes you're belching are dangerous, aren't they?" This time, Baekhyun didn't respond. "Baek you should-"

"What?!" He shouted, his tear-stricken eyes facing the members. "Stop singing? Hyung! Singing is the only lifeline I have. I tried hard to learn how to withstand the pain so I can handle the notes given to me. EXO is my life hyung. I put my life to that because it is worth it and it's the only thing I have that is worth sacrificing for." Baekhyun spoke rather loudly before he halted and breathed heavily.

He knelt down, Jongin's arms supporting his head and body as Baekhyun pounded his chest due to pain. Kyungsoo rubbed the back of the older vocalist, his hands trembling upon seeing the state of Baekhyun. After a few seconds, Baekhyun slumped onto Jongin's arms. "Ko-ma..."

"Sshhh." The other members cooed. "Rest."

Baekhyun nodded, letting his body rest comfortably on the couch after Jongin and Minseok lied him down on Sehun's thighs. "Komawo." He breathed out. The others nodded before dispersing to let the bacon rest.

Junmyeon stayed and sat beside Baekhyun, taking over the rubbing of circles from the maknae. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it that way."

Sniffles can be heard under the blanket. "I know hyung. I guess I just overreacted."

"We're worried, hyung. We all are." Sehun murmured.

"I know."

-----------------------------------------------

Baekhyun and Xiumin found themselves together in the practice room two days after the revelation. All the other vocalists are in dance training while the two of them remain sprawled out on the couch doing nothing.

"Junmyeon still feels guilty about what happened, do you know that?" Minseok asked, his hands holding a lyrics sheet. "I've told him already it's not his fault, hyung." Baekhyun answered, his fingers tapping at the wall.

Minseok placed the paper under the small speakers and sighed. "Well, will you get mad if I say he is correct?"

Baekhyun shot up and glared a bit at the older vocalist. "You-

"I'm not saying I want you out of EXO cause I deifinitely don't." Xiumin said, his fingers unconsciously fidgeting while he gazes at the door. "EXO needs every members because EXO will not be EXO if we lose members even more. What I want to point out is, stop the high notes."

The younger vocalist clicked his tongue and looked at the ceiling in frustration. "But I can do it Umin-hyung. It's not of a big deal and besides, there are only few songs which I have a high note. Jongdae is still the master of that part."

"I know you can do it Baek but your lungs are getting worse."

"Please, I don't want to speak about this, hyung. Chebal." Baekhyun murmured in defeat.

Minseok sighed. "Fine. But I want you to bring me to the doctor to your next appointment."

Baekhyun just hanged his head lowly, his hand taking the abandoned lyrics sheet. "Okay."

True to his words, Minseok accompanied Baekhyun to the hospital, telling the members that they'll go to a coffee shop and have a moment together since they rarely have one. Only Kyungsoo understood since he was the one who hinted the eldest about the real situation.

They rode a car driven by one of their managers in silence until Minseok decided to pull the younger towards his shoulders. "You wouldn't mind if I ask the whole thing to your physician, right?" Baekhyun just hummed and nodded. "Let's get coffee after this." Minseok smiled and the younger idol brightened up.

After waiting for 5 minutes in the lobby, they were directed to the doctor's office. As Baekhyun was engaged in his monthly check-up, Minseok asked for the patients' record to read. To say the least, the eldest was not impressed at all.

The record showed how Baekhyun's health declined. It also has the number of accounts the beagle line bacon fainted due to his weak lungs, the multiple medicine he drinks, and the physicals he have to undergo every month. He was nearly breaking down as he processes the information little by little.

He closed the record and sighed to regulate his breathing and to prevent the waterworks. Looking at the time, it was already half an hour since Baekhyun undergone his physicals. It took another half an hour before Baekhyun arrived.

"The doctor said he will need at least half an hour to process the findings." Baekhyun informed the eldest. Minseok just nodded with a little smile. "So you've been enduring all of this without telling us."

Baekhyun's eyes widened before bowing in guilt. "I'm not saying this because I'm reprimanding you, Baek. I'm telling you this because you're risking yourself. What if the situation becomes worse than a simple fainting? We could only watch you slowly wither away without anything to do because we're oblivious." The latter was near to crying but Minseok patted his lap. "I'm sorry." Baekhyun choked out. "Do you not trust us?"

The vocalist stood up in shock and shook his head. "I trust all of you hyung! You became my second family. I-"

"Then inform us on what we could do to help you." Minseok interjected. Baekhyun slumped back to his chair and just stared at the eldest, words leaving his mind before he could even say a thing. The doctor entered and the two turned their attentions to the physician.

The physician sat down and handed them a copy of the data. "Baekhyun-ssi, according to the tests we have done today, your lungs are getting weaker." The doctor said sadly. Baekhyun's hands shook and so the eldest grasped it, fingers intertwining, and letting the physician continue with his diagnosis. "I'll give you stronger medicines but you have to eat before taking them because they're strong drugs. You also have to get enough rest and sleep. I also advice you not to do any extreme sports and activities that will put a strain in your lungs. Also, with the winter weather, you're prone to colds and it's dangerous so always remain heated up properly. These are essential for your lungs to recover and become stronger."

Minseok and Baekhyun nodded. The doctor then turned his attention to the older idol. "I know that you're idols and despite my advice to Baekhyun-ssi to quit some of his works, his dedication is strong so please, as his group mates and family, take care of him and always watch him. Make sure that he gets proper rest, diet, and sleep." Xiumin nodded. "Here are the copies of his medical records in case you want to disclose the information to your members." The older idol took it and the two bowed and thanked the doctor before leaving the premises.

Baekhyun's hands were still trembling so Minseok grasped them tightly and halted him from walking to stand in front of him. "Don't let it get into you. You'll recover. Okay?" Baekhyun nodded, his head turned to the ground. Minseok sighed before cupping the chin of the younger. "You'll be alright." He muttered and this time Baekhyun's eyes glimmered with hope.

They went to a nearby coffee shop to grab food for the other members while they sat together waiting for their orders comfortably chatting as if the previous talks didn't happen. A lot of people were looking and taking pictures of them but the two just merely shrugged it off and continued with their happy chats.

Eventually, they decided to go back to the dorms in order to get some rest since tomorrow is another a sched-filled day earning a dejected sigh from the two idols. They got into the van safely after pushing their way out of the crowd that formed outside the cafe and drove safely back home.

"What do we have tomorrow hyung?" Jongdae asked as they're all gathered in the living room. Suho checked the schedules on his phone and frowned. "A CF shoot in the morning, then a fansigning after a recording of the music channel followed by a practice for the new choreo and song." Some visibly flinched at the jampacked schedule. 

Everyone contemplated a bit before turning their attention to Baekhyun who was just silently leaning his head onto the maknae's shoulder. He raised an eyebrow at them but no one made another reaction.

They all decided to retire for the night after freshening up. Chanyeol sat on Baekhyun's bed, watching the older idol fix the large clothes he loves to borrow from the tall rapper being fitted to his lithe form. "I can feel your gaze burning onto me, Chan." Baekhyun said, not bothering to look at the rapper as he applies facial care.

Chanyeol pouted. "You can't blame me Baek. I still can't accept the fact that you've always been in the verge of danger but we never noticed." He silently uttered. This time, the other beagle finally payed attention to the latter. "You all didn't notice because I hid it well. It's not your fault."

The taller idol went to give the latter a gentle back hug. "I hope you'll learn to lean on us and trust us." He placed a soft kiss on the head of Baekhyun, a gesture every member developed to show their utmost sincerity. Baekhyun didn't answer as he flop back to the bed and doze off.

When Chanyeol made sure that the beagle line bacon was already asleep, he quietly walked out to meet the other members who are all gathered in the living room once more. Minseok smiled at the rapper before placing the copy of Baekhyun's record on the table.

Junmyeon was the first one to fetch the papers, his hand trembling upon seeing the content. "I can't-" he stuttered.

Kyungsoo took it from the leader and he just shook his head in disappointment. Jongdae's eyes widened comically that it can par with Chanyeol's while Sehun and Jongin both froze. Chanyeol looks so devastated as well.

"He is getting worse?" Chanyeol spoke. "This can't be right."

Minseok just silently watched the members as they tried to take in the information, empathizing with them. "The doctor told me that Baekhyun shouldn't overwork or it will put a strain on his lungs. He should get proper sleep and enough rest. He also needs a balanced diet."

Kyungsoo traced the outline of the papers. "Let's not treat Baekhyun differently." He uttered, not lifting his head from the documents. The other stared at him in shock. "What do you mean hyung? He needs a lot of care." Sehun said. 

The vocalist gazed at them intensely. "There's a reason why Baekhyun didn't want to tell us or anybody and it's because he doesn't want to be treated differently." The others looked down guiltily. "We can still care for him without treating him as if he was very fragile and all." He added up.

After contemplating, they all decided to retire for the night and head back to their respective rooms, finally getting the much needed sleep for tomorrow's jampacked schedule.

The half part of the next day went pretty well. Baekhyun acted as if he was high on drugs while the others continued either supporting the beagle or punishing him for being so hyper. They managed to escape hoardes of fans from mauling them and they performed greatly as they present their newest song live for the first time. The members however didn't forget to give Baekhyun his prescriptions and water. The latter was happy with the way they're treating him and he can't hope for anything better.

It was during their practice when something grave happened. Baekhyun was left in one of the practice rooms as he try to sing the high notes before collapsing on the floor with a chuckle. It was getting harder for him but not impossible. The other vocalists gave him the space he needed while they go for a dance practice.

He was practicing the new song Sweet Lies when he heard the door open. Baekhyun turned his head with a smile but it faltered a bit upon meeting a stranger. "Uhm, this studio is offlimits. I'm sorry." He quickly said.

The man who entered looks older than him. He has this intense gaze towards the idol making the latter feel vulnerable and edgy. It was when the stranger pull out a knife from his pocket that panic bells in Baekhyun's head started ringing.

He wanted to shout but it would be futile considering that the studio rooms are all soundproof and the song blasting loudly isn't helping as well. The man walked towards the horrified idol who moved backwards as well in same number of steps.

"You must be surprised. I'm also a trainee of SM until EXO was formed. I was supposed to be a member you sick bastard but you took it away from me! If it wasn't for you, my 8 years of training will finally pay off! You only trained for less than a year! Don't you feel guilty at all? I quitted after that and it's all because of you." The man shouted filled with spite and anger.

Baekhyun dodges as soon as the man started attacking furiously with the knife. The pointy weapon created slash marks on his upper arm and sides. They weren't deep but they're bleeding. He also got a deep wound at his side causing him to stumble a bit, splatters of blood staining the mirror. Baekhyun finally balanced himself and used his hapkido skills after realizing that restraining himself will kill him. He managed to disarm the man but a wave of dizziness assaulted him causing him to fall on the floor.

This time, the man didn't waste any second as he put his beefy hands around the idol's neck. Baekhyun started feeling the air in his body cut off, his eyes watering in despair. He tried to push the man but his energy is depleting along with the oxygen he can push in his lungs.

The door opened before Baekhyun's eyes started rolling behind his eyelids. He saw seven blurred figures approach until he can't stay conscious anymore. His eyes started closing when the grip on his neck disappeared replaced by soft touches.

The seven members of EXO decided to have dinner so they went to meet Baekhyun only to see a horrifying scene in front of them. Chanyeol, Jongin, Minseok, and Junmyeon tackled the assailant while Sehun, Jongdae, and Kyungsoo ran to the gasping idol.

Kyungsoo placed a hand on Baekhyun's wrist and neck, trying to feel the familiar thrum of his pulse as he watch the eyes of the beagle line member roll and close. He gasped when he felt the pulse slowly disappear in his grasp. "He needs CPR hyung!" Jongdae shouted in despair.

Junmyeon, Minseok, Sehun, and Jongin restrained the man who was thrashing from their hold while the leader calls for guards and an ambulance through his phone. Jongdae rushed outside in an attempt to reach the guards there faster as well. Chanyeol went on Kyungsoo's side and started pumping Baekhyun's chest. When no reaction was taken from the attempt, he pinched the latter's nose and started giving him air through his mouth then pumping air once more. It took five shaky attempts driven by adrenaline to finally resuscitate and acquire a weak response.

Soon medics came and their manager was the only one who went with the unconscious idol. The man was shoved to the polices' arms and all the other members slumped to the floor of the studio room, their eyes glazing as adrenaline left their bodies.

All of them held their phones tightly while waiting for news. Jongdae scanned the room to find the knife and the part of the mirrors where blood stains were left. He cursed under his breath before flopping back to the floor. Sehun and Jongin were both quietly biting their lips in an attempt to calm their nerves. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo just froze, not really wanting to reminisce the moment they felt Baekhyun's life slipping from their grasps. Minseok and Junmyeon took the younger members and comforted them silently.

It took an hour before their manager called. Junmyeon's eyes was filled with worry and nearly in tears as the manager relay information. A single tear escaped his eyes and then he bade goodbye to their manager.

"Hyung." They all called out except for Minseok who simply watched while he twirls the phone of Baekhyun in his hand. 

Suho breathed in deeply before sighing, his body giving a shudder. "Baekhyun is stabilized." Were the first few words he said. The others released a sigh of relief they didn't know they're holding in. "So we can visit hyung?" The maknae asked hopefully.

This time, the leader shook his head. "Baekhyun is in an induced coma right now. They have to put him in strong drugs so that the recovery will focus on his lungs. They stitched up the wounds as well and so far there's only a deep wound in his side. The strain on his lungs was the bigger damage and they're only betting on the drugs to see if Baekhyun's lungs will still recover from the damage." Tears now flowed out from all the members' eyes.

Chanyeol, Suho, Kyungsoo, and Minseok calmed the others down while comforting each other as well. "Only one person can go inside the room per visit so I suggest we make a schedule for each everyday." Junmyeon said which the others agreed upon.

Few minutes later, the door opened and they're informed to get rest. The schedules for tomorrow were postponed. All the members left dejectedly, their eyes sore from crying. Once in the dorm, they huddled in the living room and fell asleep, not really minding as what position or where.

-----------------------------------------------

"So the assailant was an SM trainee?" Jongdae asked with a spiteful tone. They're all situated in one of the private waiting rooms inside the hospital.

They visited Baekhyun's frail form one by one and everyone choked on the unreleased sobs they're suppressing. They don't want to believe that the man hooked up to multiple apparatuses was their precious beagle line Baekhyun, that the fragile idol on the white bed while an artificial lung pumps air to his body is the same man who always looks high on drugs.

"You're not supposed to be frozen like this. You should be moving freely like a happy puppy you are." They all whispered before giving the small man a kiss on the forehead.

Since their schedules were cancelled for that day, they requested for a private waiting room so they can stay in the hospital without any commotions. They wanted to be there to hear about Baekhyun's condition since the results of the tests will be released in the afternoon.

Food were spread on the table but no one was actually enjoying the food. The chinese member and former members called upon hearing the news and they only gave them a somber mood.

"He was actually going to be a member of EXO but you and Baekhyun were recruited. He became depressed and well, forced to quit SM upon being violent. He was my senior." Junmyeon explained.

Minseok scanned through the phone of the comatose idol. "His friends are worried. I don't even know if I should disclose the info regarding the incident. He was supposed to meet Taehyung-gun and well the latter was constantly texting now."

Chanyeol bit his lip. "Reply to him hyung. Bangtan knows how to deal with infos like that and Baekhyun considers the kid as his child so we wouldn't want to worry him, right?" Minseok nodded before typing a message to their dongsaeng. Bangtan replied worriedly and they appreciated the affection they show to their fellow member.

Three hours and a doctor finally met them. They recognized him as Baekhyun's physician. He smiled a bit to the group before proceeding with the diagnosis. The others sat down uncomfortably, tension the air can be cut with a knife.

"Baekhyun-ssi is stable, as what I said yesterday. However, his lungs got worst because of the strain. There are no improvements today but hopefully as days go by he will start recovering. If putting him in an induced coma for 10 days yield no positive results, it would be detrimental to his health. He would've to quit his career."

Everyone felt their tears returning full force. "Baekhyun-ssi is strong so you have to be strong for him as well." The doctor said before leaving them. All of them slumped back to their chairs heavily, losing the energy and will to move at that moments.

Days passed and they returned to practicing. They visit Baekhyun before hospital visit ends. They also received some gifts for the beagle line bacon from their sunbaemins and label mates who heard about the news. Even other friends of the overfriendly idol in other companies went to visit EXO as well to comfort the fallen members.

It was during the eighth day when they're called to a private room once more. All of them were practicing "Power" that time with dejected looks before a phone call interrupted them. They excused themselves and went to the hospital with heavy hearts and steps. 

"Baekhyun-ssi's condition is improving." The doctor said with a smile and all the members sighed in relief and happiness. "We stopped putting drugs to his IV and we removed the artificial lungs as well. You can now visit and stay with him at room 504 as requested by your company." Everyone thanked the doctor before rushing to the said room with pure delight.

Baekhyun was still connected to some apparatuses but they're only the nasal canula and IV drip which made them smile. Although the patient was pale that it could par with the white sheets hovering over his body, there's a significant scarlet hues which tells that he is finally recovering. 

Three days after that and Junmyeon was sitting  on Baekhyun's bed in the hospital room while caressing the locks of hair unconsciously. Xiumin and Sehun were both on the couch watching the performances to the previous Mcountdown. Speculations about Baekhyun's absence were made but SM entertainment never confirmed anything.

"Hyung." A soft voice croaked out surprising the leader. He looked down to find glazed and tired eyes of Baekhyun looking at him as if he was a lost puppy. "Baek!" He shouted, calling the attention of the eldest and maknae. Sehun went to his hyung's side while Xiumin grabbed water from the table top. 

"Komawo." He shakily said, voice weak and rough upon sliding the liquid to his aching throat. Minseok and Sehun smiled while caressing the arm of the patient. Baekhyun's half lidded eyes went to look at Junmyeon who was playing with his hair with a relieved smile. "Hyung, sorry. I- postponed our- schedules again." His speaking was laced with tiredness and pain.

Junmyeon hushed him softly and told him to save the words later and rest but Baekhyun continued with palpable difficulty, tremors in his body and voice out in the open. "Hyung, I-m making y-you take all - the burden. Sorry. I- promise I'll be- practicing hard with-you."

"Baek." Junmyeon and Minseok called out. "We're not missing any practices. The others just have individual tapings today." Baekhyun's tears started falling as he shakily continues his statement. "Hyung, I'll- do great. Minseok-hyung, I'll practice- hard for- CBX. Sehun-ah, I'll - do my best - to learn the dances. Hyung, I- will try- not to pull- EXO- down anymore." Baekhyun groaned. "It hurts hyung. Everything-hurts." He breathed out with a cry.

Minseok and Sehun bit their lips in frustration but they softened upon seeing Baekhyun finally sleeping. Junmyeon sighed in agony upon hearing the statement from the patient. The doors opened afterwards revealing the other members with tired yet high spirits.

Junmyeon smiled and gave them water bottles. "How was work?" "Fine hyung." Jongin, Chanyeol, and Chen answered while Kyungsoo just nodded. "How was Baekhyun hyung?" Jongin asked, his hand reaching to swipe the hair of the sleeping vocalist. "He woke up a while ago and fell asleep right after. The doctor said he'll be in and out of consciousness for a while." The others nodded somberly. 

Two days later and Baekhyun was finally regaining strength. He can now stay awake for at most 8 hours. He was currently situated in the bed while the others pamper him which he really didn't want to decline since it's a rare opportunity.

Suho entered the room while holding a piece of paper in his hands. He smiled upon seeing the group huddled near Baekhyun's bed as the latter was being fed cutely by the mother hens namely Jongdae, Chanyeol, and Kyungsoo.

"You can finally be released and go back tomorrow after a final checkup." Baekhyun lightened up upon hearing the news. "And your lungs are finally doing well. Continue the medicines and it'll help strengthen it." Junmyeon added which made the others gleam in excitement. "But strictly still no to heavy works, arrasseo?" Baekhyun nodded.

True to their words, Baekhyun re stage after another week of rest. They're currently in the middle of a 3-day concert and Baekhyun was lying down on Chanyeol's lap as they wait in the dressing room patiently for their last song in the setlist.

"Seriously, why El Dorado?" Jongdae asked loudly. 

Kyungsoo just huffed in response as another loud chatterings occured between the beagle line albeit a thin smile was formed in his plump lips. Jongin noticed it and just comforted his hyung as he watches the beagle line go from normal to high on drugs hyper. Sehun joined the group's hyperactivity and together, they're indestructible, or at least far from their leader's grip as Suho just sighed in the corner with Minseok looking at the team half tired half amused.

Baekhyun looked around to find every member with smiles on their faces and he just brightened up the room even more with a wider grin. "Komawo." He murmured before pulling everyone into a hug. "EXO SARANGHAJA!"


-ugly ending bye-