Final

Not Together

Kyuhyun smiles. As he checks his phone, scrolling through the multitude of photos of Siwon. He looks so happy, he thinks to himself as his long sinewy fingers caress the face staring back at him. And he is so proud... of him. Taking up this trip as his first activity after his discharge. 

 

 

He remembers clearly, how a few months ago when they had their last dinner together, Siwon shared his plans, his handsome face lighting up when he told him what he wanted to do. He recalled himself thinking how it is just so Siwon. The kind of person he is. Kind and caring to a fault. Yet that is why he loved him so...still loves actually. 

 

 

Their last dinner, where he cooked up a storm, consisted of only Siwon's favourite Italian dishes. He perfected them while the older was in army, spending most of his free time at home, in their kitchen, testing and testing over and over. He wanted to leave him with precious memories of their last night as a couple in their most comfortable haven, where they are free to bicker, to laugh, to cry and to love. 

 

 

The dull ache in his heart simmering while he tries to quell the emotions. It gets easier somehow. But he really should keep to his promise of not touching his phone, he admonishes himself. He knows this will happen. The aching feeling, the memories uleashed and then he will get all moody and pensive. Like now. 

 

 

And so it is true...what they say...about how truly loving a person means being happy when he is, feeling proud when he is.  Even when you are not together. Anymore. A choice made by the two of them, almost simultaneously as they took an early morning walk almost three months ago. 

 

 

Somehow that decision seems right, despite the shock for those who actually knew about them. Time apart, different focus, different schedules all come into play and there is really no right or wrong. It just meant that their fate as a couple has come to an agreeable end. But they are still friends, there is no doubt about it. 

 

 

Kyuhyun sighs softly. He is still getting used to it. The longing and the swell of his heart, not as intense as before, giving way to a certain calmness and companionship as they talk over the phone in their agreed weekly chat at 10pm on Saturdays. Given time, he is sure...well...pretty sure that he will be able to go back being his Favourite maknae.

 

 

Which brings him back to his phone. He stares hard at the screen. An afterthought when he subconsciously put that as his wallpaper. The sunset he captured. Of that time in Hawaii. They had sneaked out on a whim, very early in the morning and huddled together using a filmsy towel, waiting for that beautiful glow to light up the dark morning. 

 

 

 

"You will always be a part of my life," he whispers to really no one in particular before slipping the phone into his pocket.

 

 

 

But as fate has it, their story has not ended. Not even close.

 

 

However, that would be a tale for another time.