Chapter 3

SCIRE


 

“Well done. You’re a natural, Kyungsoo.”

“Thank you father.”

“Your skills at combat are exceptional. One day we'll make great use of those skills.”

“Yes, father.” Kyungsoo bowed towards his father and then towards his opponent.

“Would you like to spar again?” His father asked.

“Yes, I would.”

“Luhan, please begin.”

 

 

 

He woke with a jolt in his sleep. The air inspired in his lungs causing a huge gasp to fly from his lips. He quickly sat up, coughing on the dry air while using both palms to claw at his throat. With burning eyes, he looked around the room and saw Jongin sitting at the table in the center of the room, a white strip of wrapping material around his arm. Only then did Kyungsoo notice the plush mattress below his frame. A faded but comfortable blanket covered his body and his eyes squinted around the familiar bric-a-brac in the room before settling once more on the tanned male.

“Nightmare?” A raspy voice asked.

Kyungsoo cleared his throat before replying. “Something like that.” He whispered.

“You seem to have them a lot,” Jongin said as he brought his gaze to look at the shorter.

“Yeah, well that’s just the way it is.” Kyungsoo coughed again. “How long have I been out?”

“Two days.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. “Two days? Really?!”

Jongin nodded. “I was a bit concerned you weren’t going to wake up. How’s your stomach?” He stood to his feet and walked toward the bed.

“Feels okay.” Kyungsoo unconsciously dragged a palm over his abdomen. He subtly flinched when Jongin’s fingers brushed against the higher part of his cheek.

“You have a scratch here.” The nomad’s fingertips rubbed gently, and Kyungsoo looked up through his eyelashes. For a brief moment, his gaze lingered on Jongin’s expressive brows. “Hey.” Jongin grasped his attention and his eyes shifted down looking into golden hues. “Your clothes are pretty messed up, so I’ll let you wear a set of mine, is that alright?” Kyungsoo nodded. “I’ll step out so you can change.” Jongin his heels leaving him alone inside the tent.

At the edge of the bed sat a fresh pair of clothing neatly folded and stacked. Kyungsoo reached over to grab them, resisting the strong urge to bring them to his nose for a generous whiff. He quickly discarded his clothing and applied the ones Jongin provided for him. Though a size too big, the clothes weren’t overly baggy nor hung from his limbs excessively. They fitted comfortably allowing him flexibility in his movements and weighed much more lighter than what he previously wore. He tucked the tan sleeveless shirt inside his brown pants, the need to appear clean cut was something Kyungsoo figured was a habit of his that hadn’t left him just yet.

Jongin entered the tent moments later, his eyes instantly observing Kyungsoo in his new clothes. “Looks good.”

“Thank you.” Kyungsoo noticed the stark contrast in the way they both wore their clothes, as he prefered a more neat style, Jongin’s attire hung loose from his limbs and flappy; flowing with the wind as it reflected his nomadic constitution.

“It’s nothing.” Jongin said as he came further inside.

It was at this time when Kyungsoo saw the gauze wrapped around his arm, and he remembered Jongin’s wound from their previous encounter with the narobots. “Here, let me see.” Kyungsoo reached out for his arm, but Jongin was quick to snatch his arm away.

“I’m fine.”

That’s strange. Kyungsoo disagreed, his eyebrows knitting together. “You are not fine. I saw that narobot grab you and crush your arm. Let me see.” He tried to reach out again, however, Jongin shuffled back.

“Look, I said I’m fine so drop it.” He snapped with a grunt before turning on his heels to leave the tent.

Confusion fell over him hard as he attempted to understand why Jongin wouldn’t allow him to help. It was disheartening to see the belligerent nomad in such a vulnerable state. Jongin had never been hurt so drastically before, and the fault lied with Kyungsoo and his lack of fighting ability. He felt inferior and useless for always being the one who needed to be saved, rather than the hero who risked his life to protect.

Kyungsoo sighed deep with his shoulders sinking along. He cursed his ceaseless curiosity which carried his feet outside the tent after the nomad. There, Jongin stood with his back facing him, and his arms crossed over his chest. Those broad shoulders seemed much more reliable than ever before.

“I just wanted to know if you were alright.” Came his small voice.

“I know.” Jongin said softly, his body still facing the forest. “You need a weapon.”

“I think so too...Anything in mind?”

Jongin threw a look over his shoulder, a small grin taunting on his lips. “I do have something.”

 

 

The nomad dug around his tent for what felt like hours to Kyungsoo. There were various pieces of metal, wires and springs littered around the area, the sound of them clinking to the ground every time Jongin moved something around.

His eyes rested on the few wooden materials, carved in intricate designs and worn away over time and how they mingled in amongst the metallic objects like they just co-existed together, it reminded him of the woods. He was excited for the weapon Jongin was about to gift to him. If anything, he was more thrilled about finally being able to protect and help in the combat instead of being a sitting duck.

Jongin emerged from the tent with a small, black and silver metal item in his hand.

That’s my weapon?” Kyungsoo’s eyebrow raised in disbelief. Jongin merely scoffed.

“Don’t look down on this weapon.” He slapped the cylindrical item down into Kyungsoo’s palm.

Kyungsoo examined the item closely, turning it over in his hand and looking at the design. “What do I do with it?” He asked, looking up at Jongin.

The nomad took a few steps back. “Alright, let’s see how this goes. Push that blue button right there.” He pointed to the tiny switch near the bottom of the weapon. It was so minuscule that it could hardly be seen which is why Kyungsoo missed it before.

His thumb pressed against the button and immediately a brightly lit energy blade projected from the hilt; its pale white light controlled and droning into a dense and narrow sword with a length of three feet.

“Woah!” Kyungsoo’s eyes widened as he beheld the pure plasmatic energy pulsating from the weapon. “This is so cool!” He could barely contain his squeal.

“Okay, press that same button again.” Jongin said. He did so, and the sword instantly disappeared back inside the hilt. “This is called an energy sword. It can cut anything, and I mean anything. Before you can actually use it, you need to practice.”

“Alright.” Kyungsoo could agree to that. He doesn’t want to hurt himself nor Jongin.

The nomad picked up two sturdy, long wooden sticks from the ground and tossed one to Kyungsoo. “Put the energy sword down and let’s get started.” He rolled his shoulders and cracked his neck before bouncing on the tip of his toes.

Kyungsoo swallowed hard. The look on Jongin’s face was different than what he’d seen in the past—almost like the nomad enjoyed this.

“Y-you’re not going to fight in that condition are you?” He asked as a form of procrastination.

“I told you I’m fine.” Jongin didn’t allow any room for an argument. Although Kyungsoo was eager to learn, he didn’t want to spar at the expense of Jongin’s condition worsening.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.” No further words came from Jongin, and Kyungsoo sighed.

“Okay.” Kyungsoo clutched the wooden sword with both hands, his right resting lower than the left. He positioned himself to intercept any attacks with the weapon facing outward. “But just so you know, I haven’t eaten, I’m still a bit tired and my head kind of hurts.”

Jongin stopped bouncing, his eyebrow arching. “Are you done complaining?”

Kyungsoo shrugged. “Ye—”

“Ha!” Swift and precise, came down the sword with a dense weight that almost made Kyungsoo drop his weapon. Jongin pushed down before relenting and shuffling back on his toes. He didn’t allow Kyungsoo a chance to compose himself before taking another jab, this time, towards Kyungsoo’s face. The shorter barely scraped by, the wood brushing his cheek by a hair.

He snapped his head, staring at Jongin like he’d gone insane. In response, Jongin merely gave him a slight tilt of his head with a taunting wink. If he weren’t the one on defense at the moment, he might have thought that gesture was hot. Instead, he backed away, putting space between him and Jongin so he could decide his next move.

“You’re not fighting fair, I wasn’t ready.” He huffed.

“All is fair Kyungsoo, the enemy never waits.”

“I know that, but you’re not the real enemy here.”

“In this moment. I am your enemy and you will treat me as such.” Jongin’s foot pushed off the ground propelling him toward the other. His arm reached out as he lurched forward with the sword like it was an extension of his limb.

Having no time to prepare himself, Kyungsoo attempted to deflect the blow, but the timing was too slow. Hence, the sword was knocked from his palm without much effort.

“Again!” Jongin yelled. Kyungsoo sighed as he picked up the weapon from the ground, eyes rolling to go along. “Did you just…roll your eyes?”

“No.” Kyungsoo said, his tone lighter and less stern than he anticipated.

“Yes you did.”

“I just think you’re being a bit too serious here.”

Jongin pursed his lips tight before talking. “This is your life we’re talking about, you don’t think that’s serious enough?”

“That’s not what I meant.”

“Do you want to be useless?”

“No.” Kyungsoo repositioned his weapon at ready, his grip and stance the same as before.

“Do you want to be beaten over and over again?”

“No.” His tone raised in volume, conviction weaving throughout his body.

“Do you want to roll over and let the enemy kill you?”

“Never.” His anger rattled up his spine and coursed through his veins. As he thought back to all the moments when Jongin had to save him, his grip tightened on the sword.

“Then let’s do this the right way.” Jongin positioned himself to make the first assault, and in his gaze was unwavering resolution that shook Kyungsoo to his bones. He matched that unnerving stare with one of his own.

“Bring it.”

Jongin smirked. “Ha!” His sword came down hard, yet, Kyungsoo was able to hold his ground against the pressure. He pushed back against Jongin, giving himself an opportunity to counterattack. He swung his stick diagonally, delivering a deft strike that Jongin nearly missed.

He bombarded the nomad with numerous attacks, the memory from his past coming into his muscles and taking control. Without Kyungsoo’s awareness, his limbs moved with a mind of their own. He dished out a skillful set of consecutive strikes, and when given an opening, he raised his foot and whipped it to the side delivering a blow to Jongin’s rib-cage.

The unsuspecting nomad wasn’t able to block it and stumbled on his toes, but Kyungsoo didn’t allow him a chance to recover. He spun clockwise on his heels and dipped low, administering a low kick that swept Jongin off of his feet, sending his body to the hard surface. Immediately following the kick, Kyungsoo quickly spun his weapon and brought the tip of the sword to Jongin’s neck. A smooth and dexterous maneuver which any amateur could not execute during their first time handling a melee weapon.

Jongin’s eyes widened matching the surprised expression on Kyungsoo’s face.

“How did you do that?!” He quickly sat up.

“I-i don’t know...My body just moved.” Kyungsoo looked over his limbs, examining his arms and legs.

“Can you do it again?” Jongin stood to his feet, dusting off his behind. His voice was awed with amazement, but Kyungsoo sensed a hint of Jongin’s competitive nature peeking its head.

Kyungsoo bit back the laugh threatening to fall from his lips. Seeing Jongin so thoroughly defeated was a hilarious sight to behold—an unbelievable one. “I could try.” He positioned himself once again, preparing for Jongin to strike.

Jongin stretched his limbs before taking up his assault stance. “Then let’s really do this!” He shuffled forward attacking Kyungsoo with everything he had.

 

“What was that about me being a bit too serious?” Jongin said as he sat in the chair.

“Oh shush. Who knew I’d beat you.”

“You were just lucky.”

“Lucky if it happened once, but skillful if more than that.”

“I haven’t fully recovered.”

“Neither have I.” Kyungsoo smiled haughtily. Whatever Jongin said, he had a rebuttal against it. Their sparring match lasted for hours, honing their skills and learning new techniques. Kyungsoo’s combat skills were far more advanced than he and Jongin anticipated.

With every motion, it felt like he’d done it before. Every swing of the wooden sword, every shuffle on his toes, and the keen sense of danger which amplified his senses to such a degree that he could tell what Jongin would do a split second before he knew himself.

It was similar to before when Kyungsoo was able to kick the narobot and sent its body flying. He was strong, however tapping into that pool of strength was the difficult part.

 

 

 

 

The night sky hailed above, the natural satellite high over the horizon spying its reflected light onto Simradia. Kyungsoo lied on his back inside the tent, shrouded in darkness, daydreaming his time away. Jongin was asleep in the bed, his purr of a snore, low and comforting to the unsteady heart which lulled at his rhythmic breathing. There was something about that sound within the depths of the darkness that left Kyungsoo with a safe and comforting feeling. Jongin’s presence surrounded him in the tent; the distinct smell of the nomad lingered everywhere and swathed his nostrils in the intoxicating aroma, his weapon letting out a faint whirring sound that could only be heard in the silence and of course; the scent of soap from washing earlier and the remnant smell of the food they had eaten together still loitered in the air. Everything that the nomad used or touched all seemed alive and reassuring to Kyungsoo who had only a few memories of his own, who despite himself, often felt alone and afraid whenever Jongin wasn’t around.

The snores began to lessen until they completely stopped, Jongin stirring awake on the mattress.

“Bad dream?” Kyungsoo asked, his voice above a whisper.

It took a moment before the groggy reply of, Yeah, came from Jongin, his voice ladened with sleep, low and deep.

“It’s cold.” Kyungsoo said. Though wrapped in numerous woolen blankets, the cool air sifted through the fabric to his skin.

“I know…” Jongin responded.

Silence fell over them after his words, as they both waited for the other to say something to fill the gaps. Kyungsoo shivered, his teeth clattering and the tips of his ears growing numb. He was certain that if it weren’t dark out he could see his breath when he spoke.

“Do you want…” Jongin shifted on the bed, his silhouette rising and casting a shadow over the wall of the moon-lit tent. “Do you want to sleep beside me?”

That was surprising. Kyungsoo couldn’t believe his ears. What had Jongin just proposed? It felt surreal. He’d be lying if he claimed that he hadn’t thought of the notion, two bodies would definitely be warmer than one. However, the only other person around was Jongin, and he thought he’d freeze to death before the nomad would agree to sharing an intimate space.

Yet, here Jongin was, offering him a solution he never thought possible.

“Just forget it then.” Jongin said from his lack of reply.

“Wait.” Kyungsoo said as he moved from the floor, pulling up his blankets along with him. “I’ll come over there, I just couldn’t believe you asked.”

“Yeah, me either.” Jongin maneuvered over to make room for him.

Kyungsoo slipped under his covers, lying his blankets on top for extra warmth. When he lied on his back beside Jongin, their shoulders touched and things became relatively awkward. Two men who barely knew each other, lied awake sharing the same space side by side. It was a strange episode in an otherworldly experience. So much so that it made Kyungsoo chuckle a bit.

Jongin turned to look at him. “What?”

“It’s nothing. It’s just...this is the closest we’ve ever been...and somehow, it doesn’t feel too bad.” Kyungsoo mildly shrugged.

“I guess you’re right,” Jongin said as he straightened his head to look at the ceiling of the tent. “Why are you still up anyway? Have you gained any more of your memories?”

“I was just daydreaming and trying to sleep. And no, I haven’t. It’s just bits and pieces that I can’t make sense of.” Kyungsoo sighed.

“You’ll get there.”

“How can you be so sure?” Kyungsoo tilted his head to look at Jongin, eyes feasting on a chiseled jawline and picture perfect profile.

“Because life has a strange way of making music.”

A beat a silence.

Kyungsoo erupted in laughter, the convulsions bubbling out of him uncontrollably. Jongin’s lips twitched easing into a chuckle, before he too was laughing just as hard as Kyungsoo. That moment of mutual humor allowed them to see each other for the first time, breaching a gap that separated them for the past few weeks. It allowed them to fall into a state of ease with a small sense of belonging.

Kyungsoo sighed, wiping a tear from his eye. “What does that even mean?”

“I don’t really know...It felt like the right thing to say....” Jongin said, and Kyungsoo snickered lightly. “When you look around, everything moves at its own pace, dancing to its own tune. And when everything comes together it makes a song, it makes...music. So one day, you’ll find your tune, your song, and everything will come back to you. You’ll be okay.”

Kyungsoo was silent as he mulled over Jongin’s words. He resisted the urge to look at the nomad in fear of amplifying the emotions that began to swell inside of his heart. Strangely, he knew this feeling well, it grew stronger every day he remained by Jongin’s side.

“Music...” Kyungsoo whispered, his heavy eyelids drooping and closing slowly. The cozy heat from Jongin beside him lulled him to sleep wrapped in a cloak of comfort and warmth.

 

 

 

 

“Ha!” Jongin’s wooden sword sliced through the air striking down against Kyungsoo, who deflected it with his own. The crackle of wood scattered across the trees, heavy grunts of sparring filled the area as the two continued to duel.

“How long have they been here?” Kyungsoo asked, breaths winded with a heaving chest. The suns’ beamed their bright rays causing him to sweat profusely. He wiped his forehead using the back of his palm.

“8 months.” Came Jongin’s answer along with another blow.

Their duel was on equal footing, both men outmaneuvering the other. Over the course of three days, Kyungsoo’s combat skills had risen exponentially. Now an expert in the art of swordsmanship, his melee advantage over Jongin could be duly noted every time he swung and when he blocked an incoming attack as if it were nothing.

They both realized that it was innate to Kyungsoo all along. He was no stranger to this form of combat, and he could be dangerous.

 

 

“How long do you think the war will go on?” Kyungsoo tossed the wriggling vertebrate into a small woolen sack as Jongin sat at the edge of the creek, his absent gaze traveling along the placid stream.

This was Kyungsoo’s favorite place as he observed how peaceful and at ease the area was. The grass was less of a harsh brush and more like the green pastures seen in pictures of idyllic landscapes. The soil beneath the lush green was still a rusty red but somehow, the way it contrasted against the crisp, blue water was a beautiful sight to behold. The scent of fresh grass and summer hung in the air, almost like a dream, almost as if beyond the creek there wasn’t a war going on and that everything was pure and good.

A shallow breeze drifted in between them, carrying a heavy silence along with it. Kyungsoo waited patiently, knowing Jongin must be thinking of an answer. He carefully took a seat amongst the scattered branches on the floor and tried not to look too closely at the soil which held the small silver filings reflecting in the sun, like glitter, like something otherworldly but still beautiful despite it all.

“I don’t know.” Jongin picked at the ground, pinching the grass and pulling it from its roots before tossing it aside. “I feel like I’ve been fighting forever and I don’t know how to stop…” He trailed off, his tone softer now.

 

 

“I don’t think I’m fit for mid-range.” Kyungsoo said as he and Jongin stared at the nearly scathed tree, a charred and crackling semicircle carved into the side of its trunk. They stood five yards away as Kyungsoo attempted honing his shooting skills with Jongin's weapon for target practice. Kyungsoo was taking on a regimen of fighting techniques ranging from melee to mid-range. His training lasted only a few days due to the speed of his learning capabilities.

It was strange.

At the rate in which he learned, it appeared he’d had years of training before hand. It boggled Kyungsoo’s mind that his own abilities and muscle memory were capable of doing considerable damage. During such events, there were moments of flashbacks inside his mind. Though he could never decipher them, they were hazy images or sometimes just a cloudy voice speaking to him and he heard himself reply.

Nothing made sense, and it increasingly frustrated him as the days went on.

 

 

 

Huff. Huff.

His boots slammed against the ground, kicking up the red dirt as he dashed through the forest. The target was straight ahead and he trained his eye on the narobot, the passing images of trees a blur from his speed. With his finger firmly on the button, he projected the sword and the condense plasma blade shot out from the hilt in just enough time for Kyungsoo to slash the head off a robotic lion. The narobot collapsed to the ground within seconds, the wiring system shutting down and the twitch of its limbs waning to a stop.

From behind him, the detonation of Jongin’s cannon fired numerous times, its whirring signal an indicator that many foes arrived. Though the bots they encountered were smaller in scale compared to the scorpion, they didn’t pose any less of a threat.

He immediately his heels to return to Jongin’s side and aid him in killing the rest of the animals. With his sword firmly in his hands, he became a deadly force to be reckoned with.

As he entered the area where Jongin’s battle took place, he instantly attacked the bots which were lurking behind the nomad. His quick and deft strikes precise and calculating, leaving the bots no room to retaliate as they went down with a single swing of his sword. In no time at all, he cleared a path to Jongin who noted his presence with a quick nod.

They were surrounded once again, standing back to back as narobots formed a circle around them. Being outnumbered was the least of their worries. They knew their capabilities and with an army this size, they would take them down in no time at all.

The monotonous hum of the bots echoed throughout the woodlands as everything came to a standstill for a brief moment. Silence between Jongin and Kyungsoo held understanding. Brawling alongside each other and training together left them with a sense of the other’s fighting styles and techniques. There was no need to establish a plan and assign who would kill which bots. It was an unspoken agreement, one which would be acted upon once the narobots made their first move.

The snap of a dry leaf began the battle and Jongin wasted no time in blasting the nearest enemy leaving a burning hole throughout its entire core.

The slicing thrum of his blade gashed the enemies one after another leaving severed robotic heads rolling on the ground. Every sweeping blow of his sword came with graceful proficiency and accuracy. No movements wasted or unnecessary.

Just as easy, Jongin took down the assailants with every blast, the particles of light flickering throughout the forest and flashing the area with blue. The nomad didn’t lose in capabilities, his kill nearly identical to Kyungsoo.

However, no matter his skills, there was still a blind spot.

Lurking from the shadows, a mechanical jaguar waited to strike. With a clear shot at Jongin’s back, it dug its heels into the ground and pounced toward the unsuspecting nomad. However, Kyungsoo caught it’s leaping body and his heels to slice the beast with his sword. He swung directly up the center, slashing the narobot in half, and its remains fell to the ground.

Jongin threw a glance over his shoulder and Kyungsoo met his gaze, haggard breaths spouting from his lips. “Watch your back,” He said, winded. Following his words was a taunting grin which Jongin merely rolled his eyes at before returning his attention to the narobots.

They continued the one-sided battle until there was nothing left to fight. The two dozen narobots lied around their feet in broken and shattered limbs sprawled across the forest floor. The suffocating scent of burning metal and oil infiltrated the air along with the flickering sounds of the clipped and severed motherboards.

“Nice job,” Jongin said, his body poised and upright as though he hadn’t been in a battle moments ago. His breaths were even and not a drop of sweat anywhere on his skin. In subtle contrast, Kyungsoo had droplets of sweat trickling down the side of his face, and his breathing was beginning to slow.

“Thanks, you too.” He looked over the fallen bodies for any survivors. After finding none, he began to walk back to the camp along with Jongin.

 

 

 

 

A glowing orange light slithered through the throngs of trees; the small fire sizzled and crackled, glimmers of particles fusing in the air creating a winding ribbon of smoke. Jongin sat on one side and Kyungsoo on the other as they both stared into the hypnotizing flames that danced to the music of wind.

“I’m glad we got to do this.” Kyungsoo threw a small twig into the fire. “You wouldn’t allow me to make a fire for so long.”

“You’ve only been here a month,” Jongin said.

“And it’s been a good month.” Kyungsoo brought his gaze to Jongin, who hurried and looked away from him.

The nomad hummed under his breath before slightly turning his head to look at Kyungsoo out the corner of his eye. “Hey, have you remembered anything?”

Kyungsoo reclined onto his flattened palms and tilted his head back to look upward. The night sky was lit by the moon and millions of stars sprinkled throughout the galaxy, some closer than others. “Nothing much, just some things here and there...tell me more about you. You know, I have been here for an entire month and I don’t know much...”

“I could say the same.” Jongin shot back.

“I call foul.” Kyungsoo dropped his head. “I don’t have my memories, but if I remember correctly, you had yours.” He tilted his head to the side. “Why won’t you tell me? Hell, we’ve even slept together.”

Jongin coughed on his spit. “Well, when you say it like that...” Shades of pink crept onto his cheeks and Kyungsoo bit back a smile.

“It’s fine...” He sighed, “Tell me when you’re ready.”

There was a gentle breeze which blew the flames of the fire, leaving them dancing erratically for a short moment and Kyungsoo’s gaze landed on the grass beyond the embers, a black abyss only visible through the soft orange glow when the wind tickled the tops of the blades, leaving them vulnerable to the light.

“I’ll never be ready…” Jongin trailed off. He sighed moments later, scratching at the back of his head. “But...I will tell you…” His head snapped to Kyungsoo, eyes penetrating and expression hard. “I hate my people.” The emotionless and cold tone of his voice startled Kyungsoo into a tense and concentrated silence, his eyebrows creasing together in confusion. “They were weak.” Jongin continued his expression grave.

“I thought...I thought you were Simradian?”

“No...I’m not. You haven’t seen a true Simradian.” Jongin broke his gaze, shifting it to the ground before the fire. “They called my people Orans, meaning pale light. We aren’t light, we have dark skin but the Simradian’s are of a different color...” Jongin paused, “My people...they fought well, but they weren’t strong enough.” His balled palm struck the ground hard. “And they all died before I was even born.”

“There must be a reason Jong—”

“They were weak.” He interjected, his jaw settling into a scowl. “I hate the Simradians who caused their demise.” He stared into the sizzling fire, its unremitting hiss the only sound within the area. “But my father or, the man I called my father, he raised me, alone, out here in the woods. He was a nomad and I became like him…”

Kyungsoo whispered, “Where is he now?” His tone delicate as if he knew this question was one Jongin didn’t want to answer.

Jongin took a moment to respond, allowing the question to rustle along the ground and dissipate into the air for a beat of silence.

“He died…” Jongin swallowed thickly, his Adam’s apple bobbing. “Trying to protect me...he...he sacrificed himself.” He swallowed again, this time with dense tears pooling inside his ducts. “This scar—” he paused as the words caught inside his throat. He let out a shaky breath, trying to compose himself.

Kyungsoo rose from the ground and walked over to the brooding nomad. Jongin looked up at him, his gaze following as Kyungsoo came down to his knees before the nomad. Soft fingers reached up to brush the trailing tear away from Jongin’s cheeks, and he unknowingly leaned into Kyungsoo’s touch in search for comfort. The shimmer of marigold waved over Jongin’s face revealing the large scar that traveled from his forehead to his ear.

Kyungsoo placed his hand over the scar, gently caressing the side of his face as Jongin looked up at him with eyes of tenderness. Jongin searched his face, never settling on one feature for too long. And Kyungsoo looked at him the same, though in his gaze, was something the other couldn’t understand. At least, not yet.

“This scar…” Kyungsoo’s words were as soft as his touch. “Tell me about it…” His eyes shone and mimicked the swirling hues of light behind him, easily overshadowing the radiance of the lambent fire. Jongin closed his eyes, wallowing in the comforting touch and allowing it to soothe his worries and ease his pain. “Tell me…” His voice was like silk blowing in the wind. Kyungsoo’s palm flowed down the lavish strands of Jongin’s hair, entrancing with his touch and coaxing him to speak.

With eyes still closed, Jongin said, “I was ten...we were out hunting for food and it was like any other day…” His eyelids fluttered and Kyungsoo continued to soothe him, silently asking for him to continue. “I wasn’t paying attention, I...I wasn’t doing what I had to do...and...and this lion...I saw it first, I was alone then, lost. I didn’t know what to do...I didn’t know how to defeat it...I didn’t know it’d be that strong, I didn’t know,” Jongin’s voice cracked, tears slipping from his eyes and Kyungsoo’s palm rested on the back of his hand now. “It came for me and I couldn’t get it off of me. The last thing I remember was blood falling down my face before I heard him calling my name...and when I came to, he was gone…”

“I’m sorry I asked,” Kyungsoo said, his throat constricting as he held back tears.

“No…” Jongin cleared his throat. “I needed to tell someone. Honestly, I feel better after sharing.” He opened his eyes, instantly meeting Kyungsoo’s clouded gaze. “Don’t cry. It happened so long ago.”

“I know, but it hurts me to know that you’re hurting…” Kyungsoo caressed his hand. “I’m sorry you had to go through that...so you’ve lived out here by yourself all this time?”

“Yes.” Jongin snapped his gaze to the fire. “I lived here, moving from place to place, never settling down for too long...and I survived alone, I couldn’t live in the cities. There was no place for me there…” His shoulders slumped as he continued watching the flames dance.

“Well, you have a place here...”

Jongin turned his head to look at him. “Do I?”

“Yes, Jongin…” Kyungsoo smiled. “You do.” Jongin’s lips twitched as he tried to hold back his grin. “Stop doing that.” Kyungsoo chuckled, his eyes twinkling with unshed tears.

“What?” Jongin asked, genuinely confused.

“Holding back. Let me see you really smile.” Kyungsoo teased and Jongin rolled his eyes.

“I’m going to bed.” The nomad stood abruptly.

“Oh come on Jongin!” Kyungsoo called out but the nomad was already lifting the flap to enter inside the tent. Kyungsoo pouted and crossed his arms. Not only was their moment ruined, but now he was left to put out the fire as well.