The Pictures

Misunderstandings

Kyungsoo had planned on going home right after work, but Chanyeol's invitation to get some drinks with him and Baekhyun was too tempting to pass. Kyungsoo texted Kai he would get home slightly later than usual, slipping his phone into his pocket. The bar was relatively small, so there wasn't too many people. It was a place you'd go to relax and have a drink, rather than say, a club. Kyungsoo sat at their table, drinking slowly, as he prefered not to get drunk. 

"So, how's kai?" Chanyeol asked and Kyungsoo smiled as his boyfriend was mentioned. 

"He's fine, I hope he doesn't mind me being late. I haven't had time to hang with you or Baekhyun recently, so this is a nice change." Baekhyun nodded, his fingers absent mindedly running up and down Chanyeol's forearm. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

"I see your relationship is going well. I salute you Baekhyun, I know from experience how annoying Chanyeol is. I'm surprised you haven't died from the amount of exposure you've had to it." Chanyeol put a hand over his heart dramatically, as if wounded.

"I am offended. I refuse to believe such nonsense." Baekhyun chuckled and looked back at Kyungsoo. 

"Once you love someone enough, you love their faults too. But I do agree, he is really annoying." Kyungsoo smiled and the night passed smoothly as they spent the rest of their time talking and enjoying each others company. Not wanting to stay too late, Kyungsoo headed home before it got dark. 

 

Kyungsoo opened the front door, hanging his set of keys on the small key holder and slipping off his shoes. The house was quiet, and Kyungsoo assumed Kai was not home, as he usually greeted Kyungsoo when he got back after work. Making his way to the kitchen, Kyungsoo noticed Kai sitting at the dining table, his hands folded in front of him, staring intently at a small slip of paper. Kyungsoo immediately knew something was wrong and he sat down next to Kai.

"What's wrong?" Kyungsoo asked and Kai looked up slowly, his hands clenching the small paper in his fist.

"What is wrong?" He repeated, his tone low, and although he didn't yell, Kyungsoo felt it would have been better if he did. Kyungsoo felt the cold tendrils of fear pull at his heart, but he pushed them down.

"Why are you angry?" Kyungsoo asked, flinching as Kai slammed his hands on the table. 

"I trusted you." Kai hissed and Kyungsoo looked on in bewilderment. 

"I trusted you, and I loved you for years, and yet you do this to me." Kai stood abruptly, the chair he was previously sitting in rocking dangerously, barely stopping from toppling to the floor. Kyungsoo stood as well, his expression that of confusion.

"I don't understand? What did I do?" Kai shoved the slip of paper into Kyungsoo's face, and Kyungsoo took the paper gently, looking at its contents. He felt his face go pale and he looked up at Kai.

"Why do you have this?" Kyungsoo stared at the picture of him and Chanyeol, kissing.

"So, you don't deny this? I loved you, I trusted you, and you go and cheat on me with a friend of ours?! How could you." Kyungsoo's brain was racing a mile a minute, who took this picture?

"Kai, this isn't what it looks like." Kai scoffed and Kyungsoo felt his heart drop. It was a picture from years ago, when he and Chanyeol had dated, why had someone sent this to Kai, making him think it was recent?

"Kai, this is a picture from years ago. Yes, Chanyeol and I had dated, but it was back when I was a freshman in college. Years ago, I swear." Kai rolled his eyes, although he looked a little more contemplative. 

"You have the exact same hairstyle, and you have that shirt in your closet right now." Kai said, and Kyungsoo frowned.

"I got rid of that shirt last year, Kai, and since when is it illegal to have the same haircut twice? I can dig out my old photo's if I have to to show you that I used to have this hair style." Kai still looked doubtful, but Kyungsoo saw the fight leaving him. Kai sat down in the chair once more, Kyungsoo following suit. 

"Do you...you promise this isn't recent?" Kai said and Kyungsoo nodded, taking his boyfriends hands into his own. Kai let out a shaky breath and sunk back into his chair.

"I was so worried that you had cheated on me. I didn't mean to get so angry, I mostly wanted to cry." Kai said and Kyungsoo felt horrible.

"I promise, I'm not cheating on you with Chanyeol. He is dating Baekhyun, and he absolutely loves him." Kyungsoo said and Kai rested his head on the dining table. 

"I feel so relieved. I thought I'd have to go and kill Chanyeol. I didn't want to break up, but I just got so angry, and I wasn't even angry at you. I was angry at Chanyeol, but you came home and I took it out on the first person I saw..." Kai said and Kyungsoo rubbed soothing circles into the back of Kai's hand. 

"It's fine, I'm glad we cleared it up." Kyungsoo said and Kai hummed, closing his eyes. Kyungsoo began to run his fingers through Kai's hair, his mind still racing.

"Kai? How did you get this picture in the first place?" Kyungsoo asked and Kai sat up a little. 

"I found it in the mailbox earlier today. It didn't say who sent it though." Kyungsoo's eyebrows furrowed, who the hell took this picture. 

 

Days later, Kyungsoo still had not figured out who had left the photo, and the question was constantly itching in the back of his head. Kai had told him not to worry too much, and that he knew that the person was just trying to mess up their relationship, but Kyungsoo could not help but wonder who this person was. Later that evening, Kyungsoo and Kai were cuddling on the couch when a knock came at the door.

"I'm going to go see who it is." Kai said, moving to stand up, and Kyungsoo stopped him.

"No, here, let me. I got this." Kai looked into Kyungsoo's eyes for a minute, as if searching for something before relenting.

"Hurry back." Kyungsoo excused himself and went to find who was knocking this late at night. Upon reaching it however, Kyungsoo saw a slip of paper shoved through the small crack under the door. Kyungsoo exited the apartment, looking down the halls, but no one was in sight. Picking up the slip of paper, he once again saw a picture of him and Chanyeol, but this time it had been from one of their dates. Kyungsoo remembered it had just been after exams, and they had finally gotten time to go on a date. It showed Chanyeol's hand around Kyungsoo's waist, his mouth pressing a chaste kiss to his cheek. Kyungsoo was smiling widely, pointing at something that was just out of view of the camera. It was a strangely domestic scene, and this time, the camera quality was much better. The photo was taken in front of them, from an angle which suggest the person was above them. 

"Kyungsoo, what's taking you so long?" Kai called from the living room and Kyungsoo held the photo in his hand, making his way to the living room after locking the door. Kyungsoo sat down and looked at Kai.

"There's another photo . I wanted to tell you, but you don't have to look at it." Kyungsoo said and Kai sighed.

"I trust you. I don't need to see the picture. Plus, it'll just make me more jealous of something that happened in the past." Kai said and Kyungsoo smiled, tossing the picture in the trash before resuming the movie marathon they had started earlier that day. 

"I love you." Kyungsoo mummbled into Kai's shirt as Kai ran his finger's through Kyungsoo's hair.

"I love you too."