One-Shot

Birthday

 

“Happy Birthday to you!”

“It’s not my birthday,” Yuya says with irritation, causing Sakura to pout as she places the home baked cake she made, just for Yuya, down on the dining table.

“Well, I’ll never know if you won’t tell me!” Sakura yells childishly at him, acting as if she popped right out of a cartoon. Yuya rolls his eyes, throwing off his coat and scarf on his couch, Sakura sighs, “if only other girls could see what I just saw,” she says dreamily, staring at him with big brown eyes. Yuya shivered, looking away from the girl.

“Don’t do that, it’s creepy,” Yuya mutters, looking away, Sakura glares at him then crosses her arms stubbornly, but after a moment, she smiles and stares up at him again.

“Then tell me when’s your birthday!” Sakura bargains. Yuya scratches the back of his neck and walks into his kitchen.

“No,” he says, then hears a chair scrape and footsteps coming towards the kitchen.

“Why is it so hard for you to tell me your birthday? It’s just one month and a number!” Sakura complains, but Yuya ignores her, pulling out a bottle of water from the fridge. He took a sip of it and she continues to pester him, “Yuya!”

“Look,” he begins sternly, making her finally shut , “just because I’m training you, doesn’t mean we have to be actual friends,” he starts out of the kitchen, her eyes following him, “by the time you’re finally out in the world as a new found singer, we just smile for the camera and pretend we’re good friends, note the key word is pretend,” he scoffs, “after all, there’s no such thing as a good friend in the star world,” and he walks out of the kitchen.

Nawabe Sakura, a young girl discovered by Nakamura Jin, is being trained by Matsua Yuya in order to prepare for the celebrity world she has always dreamed for. However…

“Yuuuyaaa!” Sakura barges into his room and jumps on top of him, waking the poor man from his slumber, “wake up already!” Yuya groans, this girl has done nothing but annoy him to no end and pester him about personal information for himself. She asks too many questions and acts exactly like every single one of his fan girls. He squints at the clock and buries his face in his pillow. She also wakes up far too early for a normal human being.

“Get out of my room,” he says tiredly and impatiently.

“Nakamura-san said to wake you up,” Sakura says, sitting directly on top of his back, Yuya turns his head to glare at her.

“Do I not look awake to you?”

“No.” Sakura gives him a straight answer and so he gets out of bed, pulls the girl off it and out of his room. He buries his face in his hands.

“I need to buy a lock…”

“I, I don’t want to lose this feeling,” Sakura sings in the recording studio, Yuya watching form behind the glass intently, listening to the song and her way of singing. Despite being an annoying eighteen year old, the girl has talent. Yuya stops her for a moment.

“Okay, make that note a little higher,” Sakura looks over at the window and nods her head, they start the song over again. Makoto, a friend of Yuya’s, sighs, leaning on his hand, staring at Sakura.

“This is the last time you’ll ever get to be with Sakun,” Makoto mentions, Yuya ignores his friend, he couldn’t wait to get rid of her as he listens carefully to her voice. Her pure, enchanting, heart stopping-“Aren’t you gonna miss her?” Makoto asks, but Yuya continues to ignore Makoto, who continues to press the matter, “I mean she was cute before, but she’s all grown up, in every way,” Yuya glares at Makoto, who finally stops talking, pretending to listen to Sakura sing as well, “the least you could do is act as if you’re sad,” Yuya stares intently at Sakura, who is no doubt feeling the song, seeing a tear go down her face.

“I’m just her trainer.”

“Happy birthday!” Yuya’s eyes snap open, propping his upper body up in surprise to hear a familiar high pitched voice.

“How the hell’d you get in my house?!” Yuya yells with wide irritated eyes, “Sakura grins, gesturing to Makoto, who is by the doorway of Yuya’s bedroom. Yuya rubs his face, “Makoto, you know it’s not my birthday,” Makoto only grins in response, walking to Sakura, who’s holding up another birthday cake with one lit candle, a big smile on her face.

“Well, you never told our rising star when your birthday is!” Makoto says, patting Sakura on the head. Yuya rolls his eyes, planting his in his pillow.

“Go look in a magazine,” Yuya tells Sakura, trying to go back to sleep. Almost immediately, Yuya feels something vaguely heavy jump on his back. Again.

“No! I have to hear it from you, Yuya!”

“My back!” Yuya yells in pain, “don’t use my name so familiarly! Get off of me!”

“Not until you tell me your birthday!”

“Shut up! Get out of my house!”

“It’s an apartment!”

“I knew I should have bought that damn lock!”

Yuya and Sakura are walking side by side each other, both wearing sunglasses and slightly oversized clothing to conceal their identity. “Oh, so cute!” Sakura exclaims, pulling Yuya by his sleeve, looking at the terrier puppy at the window, who looks just as excited to get Sakura’s attention, “wan wan, wan wan!” Sakura says playfully, tapping on the window. Yuya rolls his eyes.

“You don’t need a dog, you’re too busy with your star life, aren’t you?” Yuya mentions, Sakura looks up at Yuya with a pout.

“Quit ruining things for me, Yuya!” Sakura yells, Yuya only rolls his eyes.

“Then stop saying my name so familiarly.”

“But we’ve known each other for two years already!” Sakura says, standing up now, eyes slightly hurt.

“Doesn’t mean we’re friends,” Yuya says with a smirk, Sakura glares at him.

“Then what will?” She asks him, a laugh is shining in Yuya’s eyes now.

“If you know when my birthday is.” Yuya runs away as fast as he could as Sakura tries to hit him.

“Wait, Usu-!” Yuya stares at the screen, holding Kan, Sakura’s terrier puppy. Suddenly, yelps, and Yuya snaps his eyes down at the puppy, realizing he’s holding it too tightly.

“Sorry, Kan,” Yuya says, looking back up at the screen again, Sakura, acting as Misaki from Kaichou wa Maid-sama, kissing her co-star, Nakajima Yuto, acting as Usui. Yuya glares at the screen, “how unrealistic.”

“May twenty-fourth,” Sakura looks up at Yuya, who’s leaning against his kitchen’s doorway as she pours some dog food for Kan.

“Yeah,” Sakura says slowly, still confused, “that’s today’s date.” Yuya sighs, finding himself unable to look at her.

“And my birthday,” Yuya says. It’s silent for a moment as Sakura just stares at Yuya before jumping up, accidentally spilling Kan’s dog food, scaring the poor pup.

“Does this mean-?!” Sakura latches herself on Yuya’s shirt, looking up at him with bright big eyes, “we’re friends?! We’re at least friends now, right?!” Yuya looks down at her, thinking how irritating she is, but as this thought crosses his mind, he swiftly cups the side of her face and brushes his lips against hers.

“Something like that,” Sakura’s grip on Yuya’s shirt loosens, “hey, clean that up, alright?” He says with a smile.