p r o l o g u e

My Neighbour, Byun Baekhyun.

 “I’m not playing Uno with you…not after you made me draw four.”

Baekbeom snickered as he threw the deck of cards wildly, glaring at his brother and I while we laughed at his childishness. He muttered something about disloyalty as he trudged away into the living room. 

"I can't believe he's getting married next month," Baekhyun shook his head, following his brother out. I hummed back as I thought about how fast time is with both Baekhyun and me in universities now, Baekbeom already working as a painter with his fiancee about to finish her nursing course.

It wasn't that long ago when we'd play in each other's backyards, Baekbeom and Taehyun (my older brother) occasionally taking us to the game centre with their middle school friends, enrolling in the same high school with Baekhyun and even being in the same class a few times. Our families had been friends before we were born, so our lives seemed to always connect with joint family trips or working at the same part-time place. 

Baekhyun and I were basically siblings. That's what I thought at least. 

"Somin, can you please take the food for Baekhyun? I heard his parents and Baekbeom went wedding shopping."

I pulled on my shoes and grabbed the food off the table, taking a piece from the bag for myself. With the door behind me, I do a light sprint and knock.

Nothing. 

I knock again but I don't even hear the sound of footsteps, so I twist the knob like any other day and pull open the door that I knew was open. Baekhyun never locks the door. 

"I think someone's here": a feminine voice muffles out. 

Black heels on the floor that I know aren't Aunty Byun's with a whole dress draped over their shoe rack.

A childhood picture of Baekbeom, Baekhyun and I hangs on the wall, but when I walk into the living room, I see my best friend...

Grown, and toned, he lifts his head towards me while fondling a girl's with his other hand somewhere I can't see.

"Did you wanna join or something?"

And that's how the sweet life of Baekhyun and Somin went to s.