Warmth

Soft in the Sunlight

Jimin’s bedroom was dusted in a peach hue as the afternoon sun filtered through the blinds. Jimin was sat on his bed while he watched his best friend skip song after song on his indie playlist, trying to find something that completely fit the mood and atmosphere that surrounded them.

The large light pink shirt Yoongi was in looked more rose pink due to the warm sunlight. It hung off his shoulders and drowned his small frame, the rolled up sleeves were still long enough to cover his hands despite the amount of times he rolled and pushed them up. Jimin was in a matching shirt but his was baby blue instead. He sat with his left hand out beside him on the bed to support his weight but his sleeve cuffs were wide and spread out and hid his whole hand, even his short fingertips couldn’t reach the sleeve hem.

When Yoongi was finally satisfied with a song he left Jimin’s somewhat organised desk and turned around, Jimin marvelled at how his friend’s dark hair had lightened as he stood in a stream of direct sunlight, some strands looked more brown than the midnight black it was and Jimin loved the look fully, it made his friend look softer than how he appeared at first glance. His eyes followed Yoongi across the small room until he was sat on the bed with him. They both turned their heads away to focus on the music rather than each other.

Jimin pulled his hands into his lap as he shifted and sat cross legged, the mattress moved with the lack of pressure from his hand and the springs quietly creaked. Eventually they looked at each other again, Jimin glanced at him from under his wavy bangs then slowly lifted his head up. Their eyes (and bodies) always seemed to find and gravitate towards each other in any situation, it was so easy to find each other in a crowd they never had to search hard or for long.

Yoongi’s mouth parted slightly but nothing came out save from a breath that wasn’t heard because of the slow beat of the song that continued to play. He wasn’t sure himself if he was going to actually say something, his mind was up in space somewhere.

A soft dragging sound from material was made by both boys as they shuffled to face each other, Jimin’s white patterned bed sheets got crumpled from their shifting and tiny mounds and valleys of cotton were created. Eye contact was never broken, they stared at each other again with the same neutral expression that was impossible to read.

Jimin didn’t know what was happening but the next thing he knew was that one moment they had been sitting, staring and unmoving and in the next Yoongi was suddenly inching his body forward, closer to him. In confusion and surprise Jimin just leant backwards until he fell onto his back with a quiet thud and a few small bounces, his shirt had exposed his collarbones and the slit in the sleeve cuff finally showed his open palm. Yoongi broke eye contact then, he looked at Jimin’s brown locks that were spread onto the sheets below like the sun’s rays reaching for the Earth.

It wasn’t long until his eyes met the other’s again as he was always pulled back to Jimin by some unknown force. When they were apart there was always a strange itch inside them that wouldn’t end, for a short while they could ease it by distracting themselves in something but the feeling of emptiness would eventually come back, pounding in their chests. Jimin always waited for the itch to come back, at night as he laid in bed and stared at his ceiling he waited and sure enough it would make an appearance every night. As he laid on his bed this time that emptiness and longing didn’t come, instead of looking up at darkness he was staring at Yoongi in the afternoon light, instead of waiting for the itch he couldn’t scratch his heart warmed and blossomed because of his friend being there with him.

Yoongi put his hands on either side of Jimin’s head on the mattress as he hovered above the boy, his own dark hair fell forward to cover parts of his face and the ends of his fringe tickled his eyes. His shirt had slipped down off his right shoulder but he made no move to fix it, it wasn’t much of a problem as he couldn’t bring himself to mind. Jimin couldn’t stop his eyes from trailing down and following how the shirt slipped and exposed soft skin, he blinked slowly and fixed his gaze back to his friend above him.

They stayed like that as the music kept playing, songs started to sound similar and seemed to morph into a symphony while they stared into each other’s eyes to get lost. Without saying a word as if their mouths were sewn shut, their breathing became deeper as they relaxed and went into an almost hypnotic state, transfixed on each other.

With that same neutral expression, they could have hated each other and the whole situation entirely or they could have loved it, yet nothing in their faces gave any hints to how they truly felt to an onlooker. What was known was only between them, no one would understand them and they would never tell.

They blinked slowly and lazily at each other as the afternoon ticked on, no words were exchanged and no contact was made apart from perhaps a slight brush of hands, but there was no need for anything more. When Yoongi got tired from keeping himself up his head leant down more, becoming even closer to Jimin’s face without intention. Jimin hardly reacted save from a slow thick swallow of saliva that deafened only his ears. They were close enough that they felt the hot breath of each other on their skin but their breathing couldn’t be heard.

They valued the peace and aura of each other and the beauty.

 


A/N: As always thanks for reading! I've had this sat in my drafts for months and after having Serendipity on repeat for days I thought it fit the whole soft concept and decided to post it. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this soft nothingness, feel free to comment and everything!