In the Middle

Uni

 

 

 


 

The freshman showcase for the dance club was coming up and Seulgi almost doesn’t know what to do anymore.

On one hand, she has to study for her first exam in chemistry and being a self-taught student is never easy. Just two days after that is another exam for math. Fortunately, physics gave her some breathing space with the date but suffocated her with the long coverage. On top of that, her music class required everyone to give a pair performance in the near future and she’s grateful Seungwan is with her on that.

On the other, the showcase required them to pair up also with an upperclassman. She was just about to ask Byulie-unnie but it seems like her and Whee In was already a pair. Her last resort is Irene-unnie, if she doesn’t have an upcoming performance for theatre.

When Seulgi met Irene for their nth breakfast, she didn’t hesitate to ask the question.

“Unnie, would you pair up with me for the showcase?” she frantically asked over their food.

“Well, I don’t see why not,” is the elder’s positive reply. They spent the rest of their breakfast discussing the best routine for the both of them.

“I don’t have that much rehearsals in the future lined up yet but I don’t think I’ll be able to come up with choreography instantly,” Irene mused. “I’m really sorry. I know I’m supposed to guide you but I don’t know if I’ll be able to help you with that.”

“It’s fine unnie, I don’t mind,” Seulgi amended the elder’s worry. “I mean I was about to suggest that we could always do that routine we did back in high school, if that’s fine with you.”

With that idea, Irene breathed a sigh of relief. Seulgi thought that it would be nice to have that routine in their minds but she still felt that it would be too easy for them at this time to only repeat a routine.

“I think that idea’s nice but we have to modify and add some moves,” Irene reflected both of their thoughts. “I’ll give you some time to think over them then we’ll see,” the dark-haired girl then paused for a moment. “After the theatre’s latest production might be the best time for that Seul.”

The younger girl raised her eyebrows in question.

“When is the play unnie?” she excitedly asked. She has yet to see her upperclassman acting up on stage.

“Two weeks from now,” she answered. “I could buy some tickets for you since it’s just your first semester in here,” she offered kindly. “You could bring some of your friends too. I’m sure Yongsun wouldn’t mind having a big audience for the first show anyway.”

“But unnie isn’t the showcase too close to your play? I don’t want you to overwork yourself,” the taller girl expressed her concern.

“It’s fine Seul, really. I need something else to do aside from rehearsing and papers anyway. We can spend time in the clubroom practicing, you know.”

If Irene thought that way, then maybe Seulgi can challenge herself too.

 

 

Two down, two to go.

She never thought she would ever feel confident coming out of the exam room in math. Sleepless nights were never her best idea but they seemed to have paid off. She just hopes that she didn’t miss a step in solving any of the items as she hurried away from her classmates discussing the exam.

 

 

Once again, Seulgi can be found waiting for Wendy by the labs and other professors at this time have noticed her constant presence. Most of them only spared her a glance while Mr Kim waves at her every day without fail. She was seated by herself at the bench with her earphones playing the music for the showcase. The club themed the show as “ZOO” and had the members perform as if they were different kinds of party animals. For the freshmen, they were required to wear animal masks while it was optional for the upperclassmen.

The song she was listening to with eyes closed was coming to the of the choreography she was thinking of and that was when she felt someone plop down beside her. Opening her eyes, she removed the earphones and turned her attention to the newcomer.

“Have you been waiting long?” Wendy asked.

“Is 30 minutes long?” Seulgi answered.

A slight gasp was then heard from the smaller girl. “Gosh I’m so sorry. I was busy with my first deadline I didn’t check the time,” the smaller brunette remarked worriedly.

Seulgi smiled softly at her friend. Sometimes the smaller brunette needs to relax every once in a while.

“Hey it’s okay. I didn’t have much more to do except to study for physics and my brain’s too fried for the past week with that,” the monolid girl tried to ease her companion. “I’m fine with just waiting for you for a while.”

Wendy only directed a pout at the other girl but seemed to have calmed for a bit.

“It’s just that… I’m not really used to having anyone wait for me,” the shorter girl opened up hesitantly. “I studied and grew up with a lot of people older than me and you’re the first real friend I’ve ever had here. I was afraid I was going to be a bother to you.”

Surprised at the new information, Seulgi gave a soft smile that Seungwan returned. The next moment, the bear-like girl grinned widely and her mind had gears turning. The look on her friend’s face can be considered as either worried or anxious by the time she stood up excitedly.

“We’ll have to hang out more often then,” Seulgi declared. “Are you free this weekend?”

“I should be. Why?”

“That’s great!” Seulgi suddenly exclaimed. “I have a friend that has a play this Saturday and she told me to invite some friends. Maybe I can introduce you to some of my friends there.”

Seungwan was suddenly bashful. When Seulgi drew up plans for her to meet new people, she turned red and looked at the ground while shuffling her feet. The taller girl noticed and was feeling elated that she can actually do something like this for a friend.

“You really don’t have to, Seul,” Wendy mumbled while looking away. She has only been comfortable with meeting people in either a class or professional environment.

“I know, but I want to,” Seulgi finally calmed down. “I mean it must have been really hard on you to not be able to have someone that can relate to you immediately.”

The seated girl just let her silence be her confirmation. Seulgi caught the message and moved to their next agenda while pulling on her friend’s hand.

“Come on, let’s get lunch.”

 

 

Peekaboo