Underclass

Worlds Apart

It was an early beautiful morning when Taekwoon got woken up by the chirping of the birds outside. He slowly opened his eyes as he slipped out of bed and walked towards the window. He let out a yawn and rubbed the sleep from his eyes before he opened the dusty dark brown curtains. As he opened the curtains the soft sunbeams entered through the window and lighted up the room. Taekwoon then walked over to his closet to take one of his few outfits he had and took them with him to the very small garden his family had behind there very small house. As he began to tiptoe as he got past another brown curtain that was hanging in the middle of the bedroom to define his and his sister’s side of the room. 

Since they belonged to the underclass of society, his family didn’t have enough money to afford a bigger place. Their house had too small bedrooms, one for his parents and one for him and his sisters. It had one small living space that only had a small table and some old dusty pillows. There was a small kitchen and a small garden with a pump where they could get water to fresh up and a toilet stall.

Taekwoon greeted his mother who was already busy with preparing breakfast when he got into the kitchen to get an empty cup. His mother smiled at him before wishing him a good morning, Taekwoon then left the kitchen.  When he entered the garden he placed his clothing on the ground near the door, so it couldn’t get wet. He then took of his pajama shirt and then walked with the cup towards the pump. He pumped it a few times to fill the cup with water and then threw it over his head to wash his hair as he stood bent over so his pajama pants wouldn’t get wet. When he finished washing he shook his head, causing most of the water drops getting shaken off of his long dark locks. He then took his clothes and got changed into a simple brown short tunic and dark brown pants, before he got back into the house.

As he walked back in, his sisters were already there sitting at the table. Since he was the only son in the family they made an agreement that he would get freshen up and dressed up in their garden, while his sisters would do that in their room. Taekwoon completely understood and didn’t mind it, even when it was cold outside he didn’t thought it was that big of a deal.  As he took his seat, his mother walked in with breakfast. She each gave everyone something of it and then told them that their father had already left for work. His father had to work very hard to earn enough to pay the rent of the house, His oldest sister worked as a teacher at a school, the second oldest worked as a babysitter and the youngest sister helped their mother with the chores around the house. He himself just got fired of his former job due to the fact that his boss didn’t have any work for him. He felt ashamed that he wasn’t able to support his family like he wish he could and was determined to find another. When they all finished their breakfast his two oldest sisters left for work. Taekwoon soon left as well.

He walked around the small town where he lived, asking people if they had any work for him. However that was without any success. There wasn’t any work people could offer him, since they already had enough employees for the job. Taekwoon felt sad that he wasn’t able to find a job; all he wanted was a job that would pay so he could help and support his family. It didn’t even matter if the payment wasn’t that much compared to how hard the job was. When it felt like ages had passed he took a small break near the tree that was on a grass field in the middle of the town. It was the symbol of their town that stood for the beginning of the town.  He always came there when he needed some time to think. He took a seat on the grass and then took his canteen bottle and pulled the cork off before taking some sips of water that was in it.

“Good afternoon sir.” Someone greeted Taekwoon.

Taekwoon looked up and saw a man wearing a white button up shirt, a black waistcoat on top of it. He wore black pants that matched the waistcoat perfectly. His hands were covered in black gloves and on top of his head he wore a top hat with a hatband arounf it that was worn by man who where in their mourning period. The man obviously belonged to the upper-class of society and Taekwoon wondered why he greeted him. Normally people of the upper-class would ignore him since he was so poor.

“Good afternoon.” Taekwoon replied
“I couldn’t help but notice that you were asking around for work.” The man spoke
“That’s right sir.” Taekwoon said before he stood up.
“Well, I happen to be in need of new employees. However, the job won’t be easy. You see I’m searching for a hard working butler at my mansion that mainly will protect my precious daughter from any harm. Do you think you think you will be able to do that?”
“Of course sir, I will be able to do that. I got three older sisters myself who I protect whenever that’s needed.”
“That’s great to hear.” The man said as he smiled. “May I know your name?”
“Taekwoon, Jung Taekwoon.”
“Well… Mr. Jung Taekwoon. I will be willing to offer you the job as butler at my mansion. The Cha family would be happy to give you this chance so make sure you work hard.”
“I will sir.”
“Please visit us after dinner. I would like to enlighten you more about the job and to introduce you to my daughter.” Mr. Cha said.
“I will be there. Thank you so much for giving me this change.” Taekwoon said as he made a polite bow.

Mr. Cha then explained where his mansion was and how Taekwoon could get there. They then shook hands and Taekwoon thanked him once again. Mr. Cha then left in the direction of the shops with beautiful colored clothing that was made of the most beautiful and expensive fabric in town, clothing he and his family would never be able to wear.

Taekwoon left the spot at the tree as well and rushed back home to tell his Mother and sister the good news. They both were very happy as they hugged Taekwoon and both planted a kiss on his cheeks.  When Taekwoon told them it was a job at a mansion of some upper-class family they were laughing with joy as they couldn’t believe it that Taekwoon was offered a job as butler for a rich family. Taekwoon was very happy to see to two happily laughing with a spark of hope in their eyes.

Just like his mother and the youngest sister, his other older sisters and his father where really happy when they heard the news. Taekwoon was really glad to see them all so happy, it has been a while since he saw them like that. A few years to be precisely, it was when his father had gotten an extra bonus on his salary from work. His father works as a stable-man at a store that sells all kind of different horses. His job is to take care of those beautiful animals and make sure they always look at their best when the store was open so they would be extra attractive to the costumers.

At dinner they talked about their day, but mostly about Taekwoon getting a job. They had quite some questions and Taekwoon felt a bit sad he couldn’t answer them just yet. But even so, his family still was really excited and couldn’t wait until he knew more about the job. When he finished dinner he got ready for his appointment with Mr. Cha. He said goodbye to every one of his family and wrapped a dark brown cloak around him before he left the house.

He was glad that he took a small oil lantern with him, since it has gotten quite dark outside.  They didn’t have any horses, so every distance they traveled would be walking. Taekwoon was used to it so he didn’t mind it at all. He even enjoyed it a lot to walk around while enjoying the view and clearing his head. After a 30 minute walk he arrived at the Cha mansion. He took a deep breath before he opened the gate to the garden. Although he couldn’t see much of it, he did know that the garden was huge. It took him around 5 minutes to get to the front door.

“This is it.” He mumbled to himself before he took another breath and then knocked on the door.

 


Authors Note: There it is the first chapter~! I hoped you enjoyed it? this chapter was kind of an intorduction chapter for Taekwoon and the next one will be an introduction chapter for Hakyeon. After that the story will officially begin... and to be honest I have no clue how long it will be and what will happen in it XD Like even though I got this idea for 2 years already, I never really thought of a complete story line... BUT I will figure it out! my stories most likely go with the flow you know. this also makes the story nice for myself since I also don't know what will happen XD