Time Lapse

Cactus Hearts
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taeyeon was seated in a make-up chair, fully prepared and dolled-up, ready to go on stage anytime soon. The staffs was busily bustling about around her, fixing any mishaps that might affect the concert. The back-up dancers were making final touches to their choreography, checking if they are synchronized whilst reviewing the steps. Her manager and stylists are all nowhere to be seen as they went into the restroom, not wanting to be interrupted during the concert by the ‘call of the nature’.

The short-haired girl slumped on the make-up chair and sighed deeply. After their group’s last comeback with an album, Lion Heart, SM had been working her off. In fact, that wasn’t particularly untrue. SONEs had noticed the drastic weight loss she had when she performed ‘I’ during MAMA 2015. Those were the hard times. The time wherein they hadn’t still moved-on from a loss (and they never will). But maybe it was a little blessing in a (devil’s costume) disguise; she’d rather get buried with work than have time to think about things.

Suddenly, the door to her dressing room opened and the head of one of the staffs popped-in to view.

“Taeyeon-ssi, you’re up in 10!” and the staff’s head disappeared as soon as it appeared.

Taeyeon sighed and stood up. She checked her reflection one last time in the wide and brightly lit mirrors in front of her, before walking outside the room to finally start the concert. She positioned herself behind the small gap that separates her from the fans’ view as she closed her eyes and hear they scream her name.

But she could only hear a certain voice calling out to her, the voice replaying in echoes and reverbs in the distinct memory of it (saved and buried deep into her mind forever).

 

“Taengoo-yah~!”

 

Sooyeon-ah…

The curtains have opened and bright lights blinded her, along with the cheers that deafened her. Taeyeon finally opened her eyes in realization that she still have a stage to perform, a crowd to please, and a person to remember for later. And with a smile on her face, she proceeded to begin the concert.

Her own concert.

Sooyeon-ah… you were right all along.

 

“Geez, Taengoo! You shouldn’t worry about being the assigned leader!” a mellow voice scolded her. “Rather, you should worry about your solo concerts in the future!”

“Solo concerts?! What are you–!”

“I believe in you.” Jessica smiled.

 

Thank you for always having faith in me.

But I wish you’re here together with me.

Sooyeon…

 

______________________

 

Hours passed by, the concert were nearing its end. The encore stage had started and Taeyeon was halfway done with the encore stage’s tracklist. The whole show wasn’t that bad – Taeyeon was afraid she would black-out and get all awkward hosting a huge show on her own, but maybe, she’s overcome those dilemmas. SM had provided enough years of practice and the actualization of those had been carried over her almost 10 years of public exposure.

Taeyeon had been smiling a lot and giving out sincere gratitude to the fans. She even spoke words that could be rarely heard coming from . The same words she failed to tell a certain person. Sooyeon-ah, I care for you. – which roughly translates to: I love you.

Now that the lights have all gone out, the only thing she could see was the sea of lights in front of her, swaying their majestic waves of pink. Nostalgia hit Taeyeon as she waited for the cue of the next song. She felt her heart pound despite in their broken, incomplete pieces.

Badump! Badump!

She gradually closed her eyes and a memory flashed before her.

 

“Taeyeon-ah,” a gentle voice called unto her, calming her racing heart.

“Wae, Sica?” Taeyeon went near the girl, seeing her staring out far from the dark.

“Taeyeon, look.” A serene expression enveloped Jessica’s expression.

Wanting to know what had made the girl like that, Taeyeon followed the direction of Jessica’s stare. What Taeyeon saw was far by the most beautiful sight she had ever seen. Out there in the open darkness were thousands of glowing pink lights that twinkle before them. Taeyeon opened in astonishment, goosebumps creeping on her skin. She blinked once, then twice, checking if this was a dream.

“Taeyeon-ah,” Jessica called her again and she almost swooned how her name sound so right in Jessica’s tone.

“Hm?” Taeyeon hummed in reply.

“Remember the black-sea incident before?” Jessica’s stare dropped to the ground.

“Yeah,” Taeyeon felt herself sigh.

“Look at this now,” Taeyeon’s eyes flicked back unto Jessica and found the latter looking at her. “Look at all these lights.”

Jessica smiled beautifully.

She looked like an angel in her blonde locks.

Taeyeon couldn’t breathe.

Badump! Badump!

‘Oh my.’

“Looking back, we almost gave-up, right?”

Taeyeon nod, not trusting herself to speak.

Jessica’s eyes bore into Taeyeon’s. “I’m glad we didn’t.”

Taeyeon swallowed painfully.

She felt a huge surge of emotion pump inside her.

‘I want to kiss her.’

 

“Sica-yah! Tae-Tae!” a loud voice disrupted the two. “What are you guys doing there? The second part of our concert is almost starting! Let’s get into position.”

“Yeah, yeah, Ppani-ah. We’ll be there.” Taeyeon gave Tiffany a nod and the girl left.

Jessica playfully rolled her eyes. “Damn Miyoung and her loudspeaker voice.”

Taeyeon chuckled until caught up when she felt a hand slipped unto her’s. Not just any hand, but Jessica’s. They stared at each other as their fingers intertwined and filled-up the empty spaces.

“Let’s go?” a smiling Jessica came into view.

“Yeah, let’s go.”

‘Lead me.’

 

The familiar tune of an instrumental rang around her and Taeyeon opened her eyes to the sea of pink. Sooyeon, this is for you. Taeyeon neared to the mic and sang with her heart bare-open and raw for everyone to see.

It’s still the same,

My birthday has passed several times

And for sure I’ve become a little more adult

I’ve became an adult.

We both grew up and matured.

I thought that I wouldn’t need you anymore and pushed you away.

I was a fool. A coward – stupid even.

I’ve became an adult that have many regrets.

I was wrong about us.

I was wrong about you.

Taeyeon gripped the mic tight.

I needed you and still do.

Still when I think of your name

Please log in to read the full chapter