Final Exam

Heartless

  Youngjae stepped inside the separate room with Jokomato in his hands. This wouldn’t be his first time encountering a Hybrid, but the thought about killing it made his whole body tremble. His grip tightened around the sword as he came closer to the middle of the room. It was completely dark, but he could hear rustling in the distance. Vice Captain Minseok said nothing about the Hybrid held captive here, so Youngjae was coming in blind.

  “Do not be afraid. I will guide you, but you will be making the final decisions,” Jokomato reassured.

  Youngjae simply nodded and gulped. Even with that reassurance, he was still cautious of his surroundings. It seemed like this room would be dark throughout his whole exam.

  Something scratched against the stone walls from above.

  Youngjae reacted and jumped to the side. A gust of wind blew, nearly knocking him over his feet. Whatever this creature was, it showed no mercy and intended to kill him.

  Again, there was silence. Youngjae’s eyes darted from left to right, but no matter how hard he tried to see within the darkness, his eyes just wouldn’t adjust enough to see what this creature was. All he could do was listen.

  From his right, he could hear wings flapping and rubbing against the stone. He lunged towards it, but was immediately knocked to the ground. A large foot pressed against his chest. Whatever this creature was, Youngjae could see the red glow in its eyes as it gazed upon him. It leaned forward and sniffed at him.

  Youngjae flinched.

  “Get up,” Jokomato commanded. “Get up while you have the chance.”

  Youngjae did just that. As the Hybrid was occupied with smelling him, Youngjae grabbed its foot and threw himself up, knocking the creature off its feet. It screeched and scurried back to the perimeters of the room, away from Youngjae’s view.

  Youngjae took a deep breath and closed his eyes. This was a creature that lives in the dark which means it uses echolocation to navigate, he thought. He felt the hilt of his sword. Upon feeling the wings, he knew immediately what the creature could be. “A bat,” he muttered.

  The bat hybrid swooped down on him and scratched his arm. He flinched and hissed. How would he be able to land a blow on the creature if he couldn’t locate it? His eyes weren’t meant for the darkness. His heart beated quickly in his chest and his breathing became ragged. What would happen if he could never beat the creature? He didn’t want to give up on becoming a Hunter, but if he couldn’t kill it, then he would never live his dream.

  “I know you’re smart. You will figure out a way,” Jokomato stated.

  Youngjae took a deep breath and tried calming his heart. If he could at least have a hint as to where the Hybrid is, then maybe, he would be able to at least injure it. He listened.

  Click. Click. Click

  There. That’s what he needed.

  The clicking intensified, indicating that the Hybrid managed to locate him. Youngjae followed the clicking and swiped his sword the moment he heard the Hybrid approach him. He managed to land a blow, but not strong enough to knock it from the air. The Hybrid screamed in pain and swooped down on him again.

  This time it wasn't so quiet, so Youngjae knew exactly where to swing his sword. The tough skin made it hard for Youngjae to swing all the way through, but he knew he got one of the vital points as he heard a loud thud to his left.

  He came up to the creature. His eyes finally adjusted to the darkness, but it wasn’t enough to see the small details. There was a dark liquid pooling from its stomach where a clawed hand pressed on. The creatures breathing was ragged and its red eyes watched his every move. He continued to shake as he gazed into the creatures eyes. They were too human-like despite them being red.

  “You came to kill me, right?” The Hybrid panted. “That’s what you’re all doing, right? You captured us so you can kill us for your own selfish schemes. Well? What are you waiting for? Just do it!”

  Youngjae took a step back. Desperation. There was clear desperation in the creature’s voice despite him trying to be tough. Youngjae dropped his guard. He hadn’t thought about it before, but all these Hybrids were captured for this purpose. From the moment they were caught, they were imprisoned and set to die. They had no other choice unlike the prisoners in bars who were guilty of some crime. At least they had a chance to escape. “I-”

  “I know it’s hard to do your first kill, but you have to do it if you want to achieve your dream,” Jokomato stated. His voice was calm.

  “I-” Youngjae was lost for words. He had a chance. He had a chance to make his dream of being a Hunter come true. All he had to do was drive his sword into the creature and that would be the end of it. But he couldn’t do it, knowing that even Hybrids have families and friends, too, and are captured only to die.

  “If you can’t do it, then you’re a coward,” the Hybrid taunted. He groaned as he tried to get up. Suddenly, tears streamed down his cheeks and his body trembled. “You took me away from my twin. You took me away from everyone! Just kill me already!” His wings spread, sending a gust of wind blowing towards Youngjae.

  The boy took another step back and tripped over his own shoe. Jokomato fell beside him and clanged against the stone floors. What was this feeling? He had never felt this before. It was strange. He knew he was scared, but he was also confused and lost.

  The Hybrid sneered. His wings folded and curled up in a ball. His voice shook as he spoke, “I would rather die in your hands than by whoever is standing behind those doors. At least you have a reason, but whoever is on the other side, he or she will do it to get it over with. Please, this is my only request.” His red eyes met with Youngjae’s cat-like eyes. “But, no matter how many of us you kill, someone will come back and avenge us. It will be a neverending vicious cycle.” He coughed. Blood spluttered from his mouth.

  Youngjae knew the Hybrid was right. Even after he passed this test, he would encounter many more Hybrids and will have to kill them. He reached for his sword. As his fingers curled around the hilt, a warmth coursed through him. “Jokomato?” The sword glowed.

  “I told I’m different from other swords, correct?”

  “Yes.”

  “I am a weapon of death, but I can also heal.” He paused. “You have a kind heart. Yes. You certainly do. In your heart I can tell you want to heal him which is why I am glowing, but you know you cannot do that for it is not your duty to heal a Hybrid.”

  “I know, but-”

  “However,” Jokomato intervened, “I can make the death less painful for you and for him, and no one, not even Minseok will realize your mercy.”

  Youngjae bit his lip. He gazed at the Hybrid. The yellow glow from his sword made the creature fully visible to him. To his surprise, the Hybrid was nothing more than a boy, possibly a few years younger than him. He was not what he had expected. Instead of the dark fur like all other bats, his hair was the color of snow and his eyes were red like rubies. He didn’t want to kill him, but if there was a way to make it less painful, then he would do it. “Okay. Let’s do it that way.”

  “All you have to do is stab him in the heart and don’t worry, he won’t feel a thing. I can assure you.”

  “Okay.” Even with that assurance, he still wasn’t comfortable with stabbing something when he could look at him straight in the face. Youngjae came up to the Hybrid and closed his eyes. “I’m sorry,” he muttered before driving the blade to his chest. The blade slipped in easier than he anticipated and he heard no screams. Instead, through his eyelids, he could see the glow intensifying, so he opened his eyes. What he saw made him gasp.

  Little sprinkles of light spread from the tip of his blade to the wound and through the body. Even the Hybrid was captivated by this strange light. His red eyes glowed as he never left his gaze. It was beautiful. They both knew it, and Youngjae could tell the Hybrid didn’t feel a thing as he didn’t squirm or scream in pain. Slowly, the light engulfed the Hybrid until it blinded Youngjae. All at once, the light disappeared along with the body.

  “It’s done,” Jokomato stated.

  Youngjae exhaled sharply. “That was… beautiful.”

  “That’s what all my Masters say.”

  He couldn’t revel in the wonders he experienced as Minseok entered the room, allowing light to pass through. The Vice Captain scanned the room before turning to Youngjae. He grinned. “Congratulations. You may proceed to the next room. Please, follow me. And put this on.” Minseok handed Youngjae a belt so he could sheath his Reaper.

  Youngjae placed Jokomato by his side. “Thank you.”

  They left the room and continued further down the corridor. It felt like a huge weight was lifted off of Youngjae’s shoulders as he ventured further and further away from the testing room. He would never forget his first killing and all the emotions that struck him. He would never forget the way the Hybrid gazed at the light and that small smile on his lips the moment he knew it was all over.

  When they reached the end of the corridor, Minseok stopped. “This is where your new life will begin. Once we have everyone gathered here, you will all be placed in a Division and earn your badges, but that does not mean your training ends there. Even though you will no longer be attending the Academy, there will be many lessons to learn, and I trust that all of you will conquer it.” He stepped to the side to allow Youngjae to enter.

  This was it. Behind that door was where Youngjae would meet his new fate. He took a deep breath and pulled the door. Students filed about, talking excitedly to each other. Youngjae entered the room and felt out of place as he didn’t recognize the majority of the students here, and the ones he did know, he hadn’t exactly spoken to them as much as he did with Jongup. He scanned the room and saw the familiar light brown haired boy standing to the side and taking deep breaths.

  Youngjae bounded up to him. “Hey! You passed.”

  Jongup grinned. “Of course I did. It was easy, you know?” He stopped and dropped his gaze.

  “Is there something wrong?”

  “No! Not at all.”

  Youngjae squinted his eyes. The only time Jongup acted this way was when he was defeated by one of his classmates during a sparring session. “You sure? It looks like something is on your mind.” He glanced at Jongup’s Reaper. It was similar to both Yongguk’s and his own, but instead, it was black and green with a snake coiled around the hilt and the blade. The head was pointed down towards the tip with its tongue sticking out. Then it hit him. “You have a Matoki blade, too, don’t you?”

  Jongup gripped the hilt. “Yes, I do.”

  “Then what’s wrong? You don’t look to happy.”

  “It’s dumb, really.” He cleared his throat. “You know how I said I wanted a cool weapon with a cool blade?” Jongup waited for Youngjae to nod before continuing, “Well, I did get a cool blade, but do you know what its name is?”

  Youngjae shook his head.

  Jongup leaned into his ear. “Dadamato.”

  He could help but snicker.

  “Hey! Shut up. Don’t make fun of it! I know it sounds like baby gibberish, but he’s strong. And he gives me powers to control the earth.” Jongup nodded his head towards Youngjae’s Reaper. “I see you were also chosen by a Matoki Reaper. What’s yours name?”

  “Jokomato.”

  He threw his hands up. “Even yours has a better name than mine! What the hell? What does Jokomato do?”

  Youngjae grinned. The light appeared as he caressed the wings. “All I’ll say is, it’s quite special.”

  Jongup pursed his lips, but he didn’t get to discuss it any further when everyone fell silent. From across the room, all the Captains and Vice Captains stood in a line. Mr. Kwon stepped up with a proud smile on his face. “Congratulations, students. You have all completed the final test. Now, all that is left is to complete the ceremony.” He gestured towards all the members from both sides of him. “As you all know everyone will be split according to the results of the final exam, but that requires us to discuss amongst each other. I know you are all eager about the results. However, for tonight, I want all of you to return to your dorms and be well-rested to return to the auditorium where we will complete the process.”

  Youngjae glanced towards Yongguk. He hoped he would be placed in Division IV with Yongguk that way he could see him often. Just the thought of it made Youngjae swoon. That would be the best way to interact with his former trainer.

  After the small announcement, everyone was released and lead towards their rooms. Jongup and Youngjae walked together, explaining their final exam. Jongup’s Hybrid was a wolf, and with his strength, he easily took care of the creature. Youngjae only mentioned bits and pieces of his encounter with his Hybrid. He left out many parts about his doubt and what his Reaper could do, but it was still enough to convince Jongup.

  When they reached their dorm, Youngjae heard someone calling out his name. He turned around to see Yongguk striding towards him. He froze.

  Jongup patted his back. “I’ll see you inside.”

  Youngjae couldn’t even answer because he was too preoccupied with Yongguk coming up to him. What should he say? Should he tell him he passed? Should he tell him he also has a Matoki Reaper? He couldn’t decide where to start even when Yongguk was standing right in front of him.

  The older ruffled his hair. “Congratulations, kid. You made it.”

  “Ah. Yeah.” Youngjae could feel his cheeks burning. “Thanks.”

  “And I see you also have a Matoki blade. ShiShimato was going crazy when he could feel his fellow brothers near him. He told me that there were two Masters chosen. I’m not shocked that it was you.”

  The younger really didn’t know what to say. He was trying to let the compliments sink in and figuring out what to say next. In the back of his mind, he could hear Jokomato snickering and saying, “My, my, boy. You really are obvious when you have a crush on someone.”

  Youngjae wanted to say, “shut up,” but if he did, Yongguk would’ve thought it was addressed to him. Instead, he smiled and puffed out his chest. “Yeah, I guess I’m one of the many who were shocked when I found out Jokomato was a Matoki blade.”

  “It’s an honor to have one. They’re always there to help you.” Yongguk rubbed his thumb across the hilt of his Reaper. “Anyways, I should let you rest. You had a stressful day. I’ll see you tomorrow, kid.” Again, he ruffled Youngjae’s hair before leaving.

  Youngjae ran his fingers through his hair. He would never get tired of Yongguk doing that. Ever since that rescue, he would never imagined himself falling for anyone else.

  After standing there for a couple of minutes just touching his hair, he walked inside and was greeted with a cheeky grin on Jongup’s face. Youngjae was taken aback by the strange greeting. “What?” He placed Jokomato down near his desk and threw himself on his bed.

  “How was talking to Yongguk?’

  It wasn’t like Youngjae wasn’t aware of Jongup’s knowing, but he hated talking about it to him. Every time Youngjae returned from training when Yongguk was his mentor, Jongup would always and say that he should tell him his feelings one day. And of course, Youngjae would reply with a, “That will never happen.”

  “So? Did you tell him? Or are you just flustered because he praised you again. Y’know. I bet you’re his favorite pupil. I doubt he treated his trainees the same way he treated you. And I’m pretty sure you will be placed in his Division since he likes you that much.”

  “He doesn’t like me.”

  “I don’t mean it the way you’re thinking, you idiot. I meant, he definitely cares about you enough to keep you by his side. That’s pretty good if I have to say so myself. It’s nice to be favored because that means you can get away with practically anything.”

  Youngjae raised his head. “Not really. He still treated me like the rest,” he paused, “But sometimes he can be a bit rough on me.”

  “Exactly. That means he cares.”

  “I guess.”

  “It’s true.” Jongup reached towards Dadamato and traced the scales on the snake. “It’s amazing how these Reapers are so detailed. It’s almost as if they’re real animals carved into the design. And let’s not forget to mention how light they are.” He bounced the sword in his hands a few times. After inspecting it, he placed it back on the floor and laid down. As he stared at the ceiling, he heaved a sigh and stated, “Tonight will be the last night staying here. Tomorrow, we will officially be Hunters. We will go out on missions either by ourselves, with a partner, or with a group, and then we would have to fight Hybrids that are threatening the towns. Ah, I really can’t wait till tomorrow comes. What about you?” He turned over.

  Youngjae looked up. “I’m excited,” was all he could say. Deep down, his heart felt heavy and his mind raced to the events earlier. He had killed his first Hybrid. Once he’s out in the field, he would not have the same chance to hesitate because the moment he does, he would die. According to the Academy, the moment they let their guard down, that was when the Hybrids strike.

  Youngjae shut his eyes. He heard Jongup roll to the other side.

  “Goodnight,” Jongup said.

  “Goodnight,” Youngjae muttered. There was still light outside, but the two were too tired to do anything else. As much as Youngjae wanted to fall asleep, he couldn't. The image of the Hybrid was etched in his mind. The fear in his eyes and the tears that streamed down his cheeks constantly replayed in his thoughts. But then, the image would change into the bright light that came from Jokomato, thus letting the Hybrid’s body to disappear.

  Would he really be strong enough to kill another Hybrid?


  The ceremony took place in the morning at the auditorium, and was longer than Youngjae had expected. At the beginning, they had to recite the oath and listen to Mr. Kwon’s speech about the duties of being a Hunter. Then, they went over the specific rules they had to follow such as only completing the mission as instructed and to stick with your leader during group missions. Afterwards, each Captain and Vice Captain would come up to announce each person’s name who would officially join the team. As each student was called, they were given a uniform that every Hunter wore with pride along with a badge that they could keep in their drawer or hang up on their wall.

  Youngjae was once again anxious. He couldn’t wait to be called and so couldn’t Jongup. They were literally sitting in their seats, listening carefully for their name. As Division IV’s Captain, Bang Minah stepped up, Youngjae’s eyes sparkled because Yongguk would be there right beside her. Since there were still so many students in the auditorium, Youngjae knew they wouldn’t make eye contact, but as Minah announced the names, Yongguk’s eyes glanced over and spotted Youngjae. The older gave him that gummy smile just as Jongup and Youngjae’s names were called one after the other.

  They both stood.

  Youngjae’s legs were a little shaky as he came down to the stage. He couldn’t believe it. He was officially in Division IV with Yongguk.

  As he stepped up to Yongguk, who had the uniforms, his fingers trembled and his breathing was ragged. This was going to be his new home.

  “Looks like we will be seeing each other more, kid. Congratulations again,” Yongguk muttered.

  Youngjae nodded and took his uniform. “It’s great to be part of the team.” At those words, he stood next to Jongup in a line and waited until all the student’s names were called.

  He grabbed Jokomato and whispered, “I did it.”

  Jokomato chuckled. “Yes, you did it.”

  “I don’t know if I thanked you after the exam, but I’m going to say it. Thank you. You helped me back there. Without you, I don’t think I would’ve made it that far. I was weak.”

  “No. You weren’t weak. You were strong. Both of you were strong. You did what you had to do, and showed mercy at the same time. Everyone that I’ve chosen to be my Master are not like the others. They have kind hearts and determination. They fight for what they believe in. They are good at reading people and creatures alike. All my Masters are chosen for a reason, and you made it because you didn’t lose yourself while you were fighting.”

  Youngjae’s grip tightened. He heaved a sigh. Yongguk was right. The Matoki Reapers were always there to help their Masters. He looked at the back of Yongguk’s head and smiled. The day he was rescued repeated in his head, and that same feeling he got when Youngjae knew he was safe returned to him. “I promise to protect you, Yongguk. I won’t let anything harm you. That is my oath for myself.”


Author's Note:

  I'm back with this story! It took a while cause I had to do a lot of planning with this one. I finally figured out how I wanted the next few chapters. The only problem is, it's gonna take me a while to write since I still have several other stories I'm focusing on, plus school. Well, this is the end of the intro. We'll start getting deeper into Youngjae and Yongguk's relationship in the next chapter, and the chapter after that will most likely be Daehyun's first appearance! I'm quite excited to share it with you!

With Love,

                      LokiCraze123