shooting stars

shooting stars
Please log in to read the full chapter

"The stars are really pretty tonight, aren't they?" Siyeon perks up at the familiar voice and her eyes flitter to the figure at the door. She scooches over to make space for the guest and looks back up at the sky. 

Siyeon notices the hesitant glances from the guest, and isn't surprised when she says, "You don't seem exceptionally thrilled to see me here, should I leave?" she almost sounds like she's hurt. 

(If only she knew it was the exact opposite)

"Of course not. I just... wasn't expecting you, Eunwoo unnie." Siyeon's eyes never once left the stars, "I mean, it's been quite a while since you've joined me." 

"Right, of course," Eunwoo settles next to Siyeon on the bean bag. "This is really therapeutic. Maybe I'll join you more often in the future," Eunwoo rests her head on Siyeon's shoulder. 

Siyeon hums, "Yeah, you should." She thinks about adding a remark about how she probably won't, but stops herself before she makes the atmosphere awkward. 

Siyeon also thinks about wrapping her arms around Eunwoo but remembers that she wasn't in a position to do so, so she stays still and tries her best to ignore Eunwoo's attempts of snuggling. 

"It's really been a long time, hasn't it?" Siyeon freezes when she feels Eunwoo playing with her fingers, "So, did you manage to answer my question?" 

Ah. She remembers. 

-

"Stargazing? Can we really see stars from the roof?" A 17-year-old Jung Eunwoo was being pulled up stairs by a younger Park Siyeon. 

"Yep! My mom used to bring Jungseo and I to look at stars when I was much younger," the excited 15-year-old opened the rooftop door and sat down on the hard concrete, patting the space next to her. 

Eunwoo sat next to her and looked up, "Woa, you really can!" Siyeon nodded, "And it's really clear from here. I hope we see a shooting star!" she glanced at Eunwoo, who was seemingly in a trance. 

"Eunwoo unnie?" Siyeon nudged the dazed girl, who snapped back to reality. "Oh sorry about that. The stars are just," Eunwoo took a breath, "Brilliant."

Siyeon thought about that saying - 'she thought the view was pretty but I thought she was prettier'. Real cliché, but she couldn't think of a more apt way to describe the situation.

"I think you're more brilliant" almost slipped out of but she stopped herself. She knew she was getting herself into something she shouldn't.     

She settled instead for "They really are, aren't they?" Eunwoo hummed and lied down flat on her back, "They make pretty patterns too. There's a name for that... constant... constantations..?"

"Constellations," Siyeon corrected, wearing an amused grin, "There are a lot of them. I only remember 3 now though," she puffed her cheeks, pouting. 

"Tell me about them!" Eunwoo patted the space next to her and Siyeon lied next to her, ignoring the quickening of her heartbeat when Eunwoo pulled her closer. 

She started describing the constellations to distract herself from what she was feeling, but all that failed when Eunwoo held her finger up and told her to trace the constellations instead. 

Siyeon wondered why her heart skipped a beat when holding hands was something they always did. But really, she already knew. 

She started tracing the constellations, Eunwoo's eyes followed every movement of Siyeon's fingers, "This is my favourite, the Andromeda. It's also the first I learnt because it sounded like a robot's name." 

"And honestly the reason why it's your favourite right?" Eunwoo . Siyeon had the most sheepish grin when she replied, "That's so not it."  

She continued on to talk about the other two constellations she knew - Perseus and Pegasus, and ended up going off on a tangent about Greek mythology.

"So do the great gods have their own constellations then?" Eunwoo sat back up, "We really need to get comfortable chairs if you're going to be up here a lot." 

Siyeon turned to look at Eunwoo, and found herself falling for the wonder that was in Eunwoo's eyes. 

(It was almost as if Eunwoo's eyes reflected the stars she adored) 

"I... Yes?" Siyeon tried, but Eunwoo laughed and shot her down immediately, "You don't know, do you?" 

Her sheepish grin made a reappearance, "Guilty as charged. But I swear one day I'll learn all of them and answer you properly!" 

"I hope we'll still be able to sit like that and watch stars when that day comes," Eunwoo pauses, "Okay, not like... like that because hopefully by then we'll have comfortable chairs up here." 

Siyeon was about to reply when they both saw something moving in the sky. 

Siyeon squealed, "It's a shooting star! Quick, make a wish!" 

The both of them bowed their heads with their hands clasped, making their own wishes. 

"What did you wish for? To debut?" Eunwoo asked, turning her body such that it was facing Siyeon. 

Siyeon childishly stuck her tongue out after saying, "Wishes don't come true if you share them!" 

But really, she didn't want to share her wish because she wished that somehow Eunwoo would feel the same way she did. 

-

"I would love to say yes, but no, I haven't,“ Siyeon sighs, "I really haven't had much time to do this amidst our busy schedule. I'm spending all the time I can with the stars before we get even busier with promotions." 

Eunwoo sits up and turns to face Siyeon. "It's good that you're resting, you've been stuck in the practice rooms writing and composing for waaay too long," she Siyeon's hair, "If it ever becomes too tough just remember I'm here to be your vitamin!" 

Eunwoo was a vitamin to all of them, so why does Siyeon still feel that unwanted feeling in her stomach?

"Stop that," she half-jokingly shrugs Eunwoo's hands away, "I'll deplete you of your energy though, wouldn't I?" 

"Me? Stop? Never," Eunwoo tackles Siyeon into a hug and forcefully kisses her cheek, "As long as I can do this, I'll never be out of energy! Park Junghyun is my vitamin~" she sings. 

Siyeon tells her mind to stop overthinking.

(It doesn't work.)

Siyeon tries to wiggle herself out of Eunwoo's hold, but Eunwoo only strengthens her grasp.

"Oh stop resisting, you know you like this. Just enjoy this mini date of ours," Eunwoo presses her lips against Siyeon's cheeks for the second time that night. 

A date? Huh. 

Siyeon never realised how romantic a star gazing date could be. 

Perhaps this was Eunwoo's way of getting at something, the optimist in Siyeon tells herself. Maybe, just maybe...

No. Of course not. If Eunwoo were to go on a star-gazing date, it would be with her, not Siyeon. 

Siyeon wills the argument in her head away and tries to think of a reply.

She turns to look at Eunwoo, and it is only now she realises how close their faces were.

Soon enough, her thoughts were once again filled with possi

Please log in to read the full chapter