1/2

Unravel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The bell rang indicating that class just had several minutes before starting. The students start entering the classroom, chattering around; some talking about the latest gossips in school while others are begging to copy for assignments.

Wendy entered the room with Seulgi for their Literature class, “What do you think he’ll make us do today?” Seulgi asked Wendy and the latter just shrugged. “Probably gonna discuss the story he made us read yesterday,” she said and Seulgi nodded her head.

Wendy parted from her and walked towards her place. There are only two columns of tables inside the classroom with six rows each column. She walked to the right side, sat on one of the chairs in the fourth row, four-chaired long table while Seulgi, sat on the other side – their seats were planned by the professor so they don’t really have a choice. She sat down and placed her bag behind her.

Wendy took her Literature book out to skim on the pages of the short story their professor made them read.

“Oh my gosh! He’s the cutest nerd I’ve ever seen here!”

“Come on, he’s barely a nerd. He’s just smart. I mean look at him! How can that handsome guy be a nerd?”

The reading girl tilted her head to the side to look at the giggling girls beside her. She followed their gaze and barely held her groan.

Kim Jongdae. Why did I even bother? Of course they’re talking about him.

Wendy slightly shook her head in disgust, just slightly because she doesn’t want those girls to notice. Her eyes gazed back up at the guy her seatmates are talking about – he’s seated at the other side just in front of Seulgi – and she sees him seemingly attached to the book he’s reading, the same book she has out.

Kim Jongdae, one of the handsomest boys – their words, not Wendy’s – in school and a lot of girls wanted to catch his attention not just because he’s handsome and popular, but also, because he’s smart. He’s one of the few who’s blessed like that.

The thing with him is, he never really participates in class. He also doesn’t talk to anyone, unless needed to. He’s some kind of aloof. But, he doesn’t interest Wendy at all. Really. In fact, no guy ever does.

Wendy paid no attention at the guy and the girls beside her and continued her reading. Moments later their professor, Mr. Kim Seokjin, entered the room, grinning broadly as he scanned the class. “So, our agenda today is...” Mr. Kim went on with his agenda: pass the homework he asked for them, discuss the said homework, and lastly, discuss the narrative he made them read.

The class went on and Mr. Kim was just finished with the homework discussion,

“I believe that all of you have read the story, 'Dead Stars'?” the professor asked and a chorus of ‘yes’ was heard inside the room. Wendy took a glance at the other side, at Seulgi. She smirked when the latter gave her a pleading look. She hasn’t read the story.

Wendy gave her a knowing look and Seulgi just scoffed silently, rolling her eyes at her annoying friend.

“Recitation!” Mr. Kim suddenly announced, “Give me your insights and views about the story ‘Dead Stars,’ anything you’ve got,” he casually said while leaning against his desk.

Wendy heard her seatmates giggled and she rolled her eyes. Really, the professor? These girls need some counselling.

One of her classmates raised a hand, “Yes?” Mr. Kim acknowledged, looking at her expectantly. The girl cleared , “I learned from the story that we should stay loyal to the person that we are engaged to,” she answered and some of the students howled and clapped while Mr. Kim wrote something on his record. Wendy just rolled her eyes.

Another one had his hand up, “Sir!” Byun Baekhyun, the class’ self-proclaimed joker, shouted while pretending to fix his uniform like a speaker does before giving his speech. The class starts to snicker quietly while anticipating his answer.

“Sir, the story made me realize that we should fight for what we love and we should never let them go!” he finished with a waving gesture, waving at the other students who started clapping, some even stood and bowed at him, shouting ‘Preach! Preach!’

Many students gave their own answers and Mr. Kim seems amused by their answers but Wendy wasn’t. Heck! Most of their answers don’t even have any relation to the story anymore, as long as they can say something about love and all that bull.

Wendy waited for her chance to answer, she really want to share her insights about the story, and of course, for the points. She raised her hand and Professor Kim’s smile widened. He motioned for her to go on and Wendy stood up.

The room went quiet still as everyone waited for her to answer. They saw Wendy as the uptight, goody-two-shoe student, whose definition of fun is opening a book and solving math problems.

Wendy pursed her lips, scanning the room, her eyes landed on Kim Jongdae, whose eyes were also on her. She advert her gaze and answered, “I think the story wants to depict that people shouldn’t make decisions basing on what they are feeling at the moment because just like Alfredo, they might realize in the end that they could have made the wrong decision. If he let his feelings control him, then he would have ruined his life and those people around him,” she finishes and Mr. Kim had a thoughtful look while nodding his head.

A cough caught her attention, others’ as well, and Wendy saw Kim Jongdae extending an arm up. She stared at him in surprise, because never have Kim Jongdae participated in class recitations and it seems like everyone was as surprise as well.

Wendy took her seat, eyes still at the dark-haired guy, eyeing him sceptically. He stood up when Mr. Kim gave him the permission to answer.

Jongdae stood up and for a moment he glanced back at Wendy before looking in front of the class, “Actually, sir, I have a question for Ms. Son,” saying that Wendy was shock is an understatement. Murmurs were heard around them. Mr. Kim shushed the class and motioned Jongdae to proceed.

Wendy’s mind became blank. Because yes, her intelligence is more than average, but there is someone who always surmount her. And that someone is Kim Jongdae.

He wants to ask me a question? And he knows my last name?! What the hell?

“Okay, well go one,” Mr. Kim said, probably as curious as the other students. Jongdae turned to face her, “But what if he did listen to his heart? Then maybe he could’ve chased after her and they could have lived happily and his feelings for her never would have faded,” he ended with a shrug.

Is he for real?

Wendy’s hand was up in an instant, “Yes, go on Ms. Son,”

“Is leaving someone you’ve been engaged to for three years worth it just because some new girl just pop-out out of nowhere and all of a sudden got your attention?” Wendy retaliates with a brow raised. And again, Jongdae’s hand was shot up.

He didn’t even bother looking at the professor as he just had his eyes at the standing girl, “Time doesn’t matter in love, really. Why, is staying with someone that you don’t have any affection for the right thing? You’d rather lie to the person and your own self, then?”

Wendy smirked, “The thing is, he wasn’t in love with her, he just finds her interesting and that’s it.”

Gosh, I didn’t know this guy could be annoying. He’s better off not opening his mouth.

The guy’s eyebrow rose, his full attention directed at the girl. “And your basis for that is?” he asked.

And it appears that so does Wendy’s since both doesn’t seem to notice the looks they’re getting from the people around them. They didn’t notice the amused smile their professor had while looking at the two.

This is nonsense, Wendy thought.

The irritated girl gritted her teeth, “Well, first of, Julia was new in town and obviously Alfredo’s interest was piqued. But when the time comes when he’d learn everything about her, his interest would soon fade and he will realize that what he had for her was nothing,” she stated like it’s the most obvious thing in the world.

Jongdae nodded his head thoughtfully, “And you know that how?” he asked after a while.

“I don’t. It’s just the most logical thing. Why, would you seriously leave the person you’re committed to just for some woman you’ve just met?” Wendy raised a brow at the guy, seemingly challenging.

Jongdae shrugged nonchalantly as he met the girl’s gaze with his, “Maybe, maybe not. No one can really know that, but if it’s love then it is always worth the risk.”

Wendy scrunches her face in disgust, totally disagreeing with the guy, “: It’s also not cupcakes and rainbows. It’s full of sh-”

Before Wendy can finish the vulgar word Mr. Kim interjected, thanking the two for their views of the story. He smiled at them knowingly and both took the sign and seated themselves, ignoring all the looks given to them.

 

Wendy was fuming when she got out of the room the moment the professor dismissed them. She didn’t really know how the guy could rile her up that much. Moments later Seulgi got out of the room as well, “You okay there?” she asked her friend cautiously. She really deosn’t want to be the receiving end when Wendy decided to erupt her anger.

Said girl gave Seulgi a curt nod but Seulgi knew better, “You know, there’s really nothing to be mad about. It’s not like he said something- okay I’m gonna shut up.”

“Idiot, he’s such an idiot!” she fumed and her friend grimaced, “Really, now? So, if he’s an idiot then what do you call us then?” Wendy glared at her friend, and Seulgi gave her glaring friend a sheepish smile when something caught her attention.

Wendy followed Seulgi’s gaze and landed on a certain guy who’s immersed on his book as she walked out of the room. He passed the girls but gave no indication that he saw them.

“I hope you fall down the stairs! Hit your head! And just die! Ugh!” Wendy said loud enough that many students around them turned to look at the girls. Seulgi nudged her friend in embarrassment.

 

 

“Wendy! There you are! I’ve been looking for you,” Wendy looked up from her book at the smiling girl in front of her, Seulgi and her were at the school’s study hall, killing time before their next class starts. “Ire

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter