Choosing Sides

Six Ways To Sunday

A/N: Here's the next update as promised. We're almost half-way through Najeong's week!!! Two more cameo ships to go (including this one's). Lemme know what you think so far! Enjoy the update and thanks for reading! Love y'all!

P.S.And vote for the girls on MAMA. I'm personally voting for Pristin because they've been wishing for ROTY2k17 since even before debut. God, I just want them to be happy because they make me so happy. Is that too much to ask for? Screw Mnet for pitting Chungha, WekiMeki, and Pristin against each other and for being such a rigged awards show but still. Ugh. I'll stop now. 

Word count: 1,772 words

-------------------------

Tuesday Night to Wednesday Morning.

 

Nayoung and Sejeong finally arrive in Jeollanam-do after that train ride. Their young friends, Mina, Yeonjung, Doyeon, and Yoojung, had parted ways with them at the train station as they were headed to the water park on the south side of the province while the two of them were off to a country resort on the other side.

 

The two of them had come to an agreement that they would be sharing a hotel room again. They both swear that it’s for their convenience. They’ve accepted that by doing so, people will mistake them for being a couple again like with everyone they’ve met in every place they’ve been too. (Nayoung is tired of denying it and Sejeong just rolls her eyes.) But even if they had, it’s still gets a bit embarrassing.  This is evident as they check in. Front desk people are really fishy.

 

“You have come to the right place! Our resort is perfect for honeymooners like yourselves. We have packages ranging from romantic candlelit dinners to passionate-”

 

“Okay!” Sejeong exclaims, effectively stopping the enthusiastic employee. “We don’t really need any of that. We would just like to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere right now. So thank you but no thank you.” She promptly grabs her backpack off the floor and pulls Nayoung along. It’s a little past nine and they’re in a hurry because they’re really tired.

 

In their haste, they fail to notice a girl coming to their direction and they collide with her.

 

“Oops. We’re really sorry.” Nayoung offers the said girl with an apology.

 

The girl looks closely at her face then at Sejeong’s. She then narrows her eyes at them (more like squints) and holds up a finger near Sejeong’s face. Both Nayoung and Sejeong freeze.

 

The moment drags on painstakingly slow where they just wait for the girl to say or do something, anything that would explain the finger wagging at Sejeong’s face. Nayoung takes a wary step forward, slowly pulling Sejeong back to stand behind her. 

And that’s when a tall, tan girl appears, runs to them and pulls the offending girl by the shoulders with a fierce “Jieqiong!”.

 

Nayoung and Sejeong turn to the new girl as she looks the first girl up and down, checking to see if something was wrong with her. When she finds that she’s all right, she holds her against her own body gingerly (like she was unsure of touching her?). The first girl makes no movements like she could already be asleep while standing.

 

The tan girl turns to Nayoung and Sejeong with an apologetic look on her face. “I’m really sorry about this. She had a lot to drink. She hasn’t done anything bad, has she?” Her eyebrows knit together.

 

“Umm, no.” Nayoung answers, looks at Sejeong to confirm that the other hasn’t.

 

“Yeah, no harm done.” Sejeong says, looks back at the two curiously. The girl looks like she’s about to say something more but is interrupted by voices, yelling by the elevators.

 

“Nayoung unnie! Jieqiong!”

 

Sejeong turns to Nayoung who looks just as confused as she is. They watch as three other girls march to where they stood.

 

“Nayoung unnie!” One girl steps up to the first two’s side, frowns upon seeing how out of one of them looks. “Should I…?” She opens her arms as if offering to take the inebriated girl off her but she only shakes her head.

 

The two other girls stand a few feet back and so Nayoung and Sejeong both get a clear view of them and their reactions. The short one slams a hand to her lips. The other tall girl with pretty eyes looks like she could burst into tears.

 

“Again, I’m sorry about this. We’ll just take her and go then.” The tan girl bows politely to them and carefully leads the inebriated girl towards the elevator. Their other three friends follow seemingly in a daze, an emotional one.

 

Nayoung and Sejeong can only exchange looks and shrug. The train’s repairs had taken longer than what was anticipated on top of the long travel time so they’re just both so tired at the moment. They would probably have to discuss this after they get some sleep.

 

--

 

It’s Wednesday morning when Nayoung wakes up. She and Sejeong must have been a lot more tired than they thought they were because they managed to sleep through the whole night. They also missed dinner which explains how loudly her stomach is grumbling now. Knowing that Sejeong would want to eat together, she checks on the girl but finds her still sleeping soundly, arms around the pillow that serves as the marker to separate her side (of the bed) from Nayoung’s. Images of a sleepy, albeit, cute, but still tired-looking Sejeong swims to the front of her eyes and she decides she’ll let her get some more sleep.

 

She showers quickly, gets dressed, and heads down to the dining area. She remembers to pass by the front desk to get a copy of keys for herself and sees the girl from last night there so she decides to strike up a conversation.

 

“H-hi there.”

 

The girl blinks at her. “Uh, hi? Do I know you?” She asks.

 

“No, no you don’t. But you bumped into me and my friend last night and-”

 

“Oh! That was you.” The girl rubs her temples. “I’m sorry about that. I was really drunk last night. I don’t even remember doing any of that. My friends just told me about it this morning.” She says sheepish.

 

“It’s fine.” Nayoung waves off the apology.

 

“I’m still sorry though.” She pouts then straightens up and holds out her hand. “I’m Jieqiong, by the way. You are?”

 

“Nayoung.” Nayoung takes the offered hand and gives it a firm shake.

 

The girl flinches visibly. “Your name is Nayoung?” Nayoung nods.

 

“Is something wrong?” She asks, notices how Jieqiong’s expression has suddenly turned… sad?

 

“No! Sorry, it’s just that you have the same name as my… girlfriend.” Nayoung doesn’t miss the way she hesitates on the word.

 

“Ah! The tan girl?” Nayoung wonders aloud, remembering what had happened last night.

 

“That’s her.” Jieqiong confirms, pursing to a thin line as she nods her head.

 

“What a coincidence! Pretty cool, huh?” Nayoung tries to live up the atmosphere.

 

“Y-yeah, I guess it is.” Jieqiong shrugs.

 

Nayoung looks down at her watch. The conversation has become awkward and she silently prays for rescue. The elevator doors ding and out steps the answer to her prayers – Kim Sejeong – looking freshly showered but somewhat annoyed.

 

“Nayoung! You didn’t wake me.” Sejeong says, marching over to her and Jieqiong.

 

“But you looked so tired and I didn’t want to-”

 

“So you planned on eating by yourself? I-” Sejeong stops short, notices the other girl shuffling on her feet for the first time. “Oh, hello there.”

 

“Sejeong-Jieqiong. Jieqiong-Sejeong.” Nayoung does the honor of introducing them to each other. Jieqiong suddenly brightens up as she exchanges pleasantries with Sejeong.

 

“Are you both heading to the buffet for breakfast?” Jieqiong asks. “I was just on my way there too. My friends already went ahead of me.”

 

“Oh, really? You wouldn’t mind if we join you, right?” Nayoung asks.

 

Jieqiong chuckles. “My friends would be thrilled. I just hope you don’t mind a bit of noise?”

 

--

 

A bit of noise is too lightly to put it but having spent the day yesterday with people of nearly the same level of excitement, neither Sejeong nor Nayoung really mind. Introductions were made again and to put it simply, Jieqiong was right. Her friends are thrilled to meet them. Or maybe it’s just Eunwoo.

 

“So you guys are just traveling together?” The girl asks, leaning close to Sejeong in interest, turns to Nayoung who’s on Sejeong’s other side with a wide smile.

 

“That’s the third time you asked them, Eunwoo. Calm down.” Minkyung pulls her by the back of her shirt with one hand while the other is busy stirring her coffee. Eunwoo scoffs in reply.

 

“Nunu’s just excited because she won’t have to be the fifth wheel anymore.” Yebin says, casually sits on Minkyung’s lap.

 

Eunwoo crosses her arms over her chest then hisses under her breath. “Don’t let Jieqiong or Nayoung unnie hear you say that.”

 

Nayoung looks up from her plate just in time to see Minkyung and Yebin exchange pained looks over Eunwoo’s statement.

 

“Speaking of which, where are they?” Sejeong asks.

 

The other Nayoung had practically speed-walked away from their table as soon as the introductions were over. Sejeong claims to find it a waste to not have the time to gloat over the fact that there were two Nayoungs in the same table. However, Nayoung senses that there’s more to this.

 

“Jieqiong’s still at the buffet and Nayoung unnie… probably won’t even come out to eat until Jieqiong’s done.” Yebin says sadly. Minkyung gently rubs her back to console her.

 

And this further confirms Nayoung’s suspicions. “Are they in some sort of lovers’ quarrel?”

 

All three girls sigh. “That’s an understatement.” Minkyung says with a roll of her eyes.

 

“Hmm, too much of an understatement.” Yebin agrees, rests her head on Minkyung’s shoulder.

 

“They’re in shambles! On the brink of breaking up.” Eunwoo supplies, throwing her hands in the air. “And we’re just their poor children, being forced to choose sides in the pending divorce!” Her small fists slam down on the table hard.

 

“Uh-oh.” Sejeong winces.

 

Eunwoo sighs exaggeratedly. “But none of us really want that so…” She looks helplessly at her friends.

 

“We’re going to do everything we can to stop it.” Yebin continues for Eunwoo.

 

Sejeong turns her attention back to her plate whilst Nayoung looks at Yebin directly.

 

“But what if they really just want to break up?” She asks in a small voice.

 

“They don’t. Trust us, they don’t. They’re just both too stupid to not admit it.” Minkyung says, looks over at Jieqiong who’s busy piling her plate with fruit in the distance.

 

“So we’re going to make them realize that.” Yebin follows up.

 

Eunwoo turns to them, Nayoung and Sejeong, with a serious look in her eyes. “The question right now is… will you help us or not?”

 

Nayoung shares a look with Sejeong.

 

Sejeong drops her eyes back to her plate, grips her fork harder. “I don’t think we should-”

 

“Say no!” Nayoung cuts her off. “I don’t think we should say no. What Sejeong wants to say is… count us in.”

 

She gives Eunwoo, Minkyung, and Yebin a smile but can only shrug at the look of confusion Sejeong gives her.