Afghanistan 2002

If Eyes Were Blue

It was a very blistering day in Afghanistan. Sehun constantly checks his walkie-talkie because it keep on making some weird noises. He is taking a rest in their little ‘police’ tent. Sehun, Kai and other twelve police were sent by the government as an undercover to investigate a very high profile criminal groups which they have been working on for the past eleven years. Even though Sehun and Kai were the youngest there, they had been trained since they were twelve years old because both of them were raised in a family full of policeman and army.

“Yah, Sehun-ah, what are you doing? Palli, come here. We need to go to investigate all houses today. We need to find Alharem’s house today by hook or by crook. Or your dad will kill us.” said Kai, throwing him some long white-red shawl.

“What is this for? I’m already exhausted as hell, give me a break. Where the hell is Alharem’s house anyway, arghh jinja!” said Sehun, putting back his not-so-well walkie-talkie into his pocket while his other hand keep messing his black hair.

“There’s a sand storm outside, cover your face with it. I bought it from the local market. You owe me samgyupsal when we are going back in Korea later. Besides, we don’t want anyone to notice us later” answer Kai, busy covering his own face with his shawl.

Sehun, wrapped around his face, exposing only his hair and eyes with the shawl. He take a look at the little mirror inside the tent, and purposely messed his front hair to cover his eyes a little.

“Yah, Sehun, Kai. How come both of you still look so handsome even with your face covered? Life is not fair. Yah palli, let’s go and take a round in the city now!” said Sergeant Kim, also one of their uncle.

Sehun and Kai keep searching and asking people around for Alharem’s house, which has been reportedly one of the partner for Group X, the most wanted criminal group in Korea nowadays. Some trusted resources told them that they will be a meeting at Alharem’s house for upcoming killing on Korea politician, Mr So Ji Sub who is going to be running for election next year.

 

“Two hours wasted on nothing. I think this Alharem guy does have big influence here. I have a feeling that people here are not telling us the truth” Kai complaining.

“I think so too. When we ask them, I can sense some fear in their eyes. Poor people. Yah, I think I’m going to buy something to drink. Anything?” ask Sehun, wiping the sweats on his forehead.

“Yeah, anything” said Kai, lazily and take a sit on the sidewalk nearby.

Sehun crossed the street, and buy two bottles of water from a lady there. While waiting for some change from the lady, Sehun take a look around the stalls there, and something has caught his attention. A lady full covered in burqa, with only her eyes exposed is trying to calm down two crying little children. After received his change, Sehun walk slowly closer to them.

Hey, any problem here?” ask Sehun, in English, since he didn’t know how to speak in any of the Afghanistan official languages. Jiyeon, who is surprised by the sudden appearance of Sehun, lift her head a little, suddenly got drowned in Sehun’s stares.

Sehun, who is also fascinated by how beautiful and sparkly those eyes were, lost in words and just stood there unemotionally. Jiyeon, shocked by the sound of the little children cries, finally gained her consciousness and back to reality.

“Nothing, no problems here. Just trying to buy some food for these children. I’m their babysitter. I’m sorry but we have to go now” Jiyeon also replied him in English since he asked in one, and then hold tightly those little children hands and take them away hurriedly.

Sehun couldn’t help but enjoyed the view of them walking away from him. What kind of feeling is this, he asked himself.

Pap! The sound of Kai hitting his head bring him back to reality.

“Yah! It hurts! What’s that for!” said Sehun angrily.

“My water, please”

Sehun, Kai. Answer me. Roger. The sudden voice from their walkie-talkie ended their little fight.

“Kai here, roger” Kai responding to their lieutenant.

Alharem just got killed few hours ago. We believe it is by his own people. I need both of you to come back to our little headquarters now.

What?!! Sehun and Kai look at each other, shocked.

 

Jiyeon, who had just come back from the market, trying to enter the house quietly only to found out that Hyomin, Myung Soo and Lee Joon are all there waiting for her, outside.

“You do know that our boss know exactly what you just did, right?” ask Hyomin, angrily.

“And he is waiting for you inside. Good luck dear” said Lee Joon sarcastically.

As soon as she enter the house, she got slapped by their boss, Uncle Jung, the man that had been taking care for all of them since they were little. Even though she is wearing full burqa from head to toes, she can still feel the pain on her cheeks.

Uncle Jung, along with his other partner has establish an elite assassination group, who are ready to kill people as long as they got pay by huge amount of money. He had trained Jiyeon, Hyomin, Myung Soo and Lee Joon ever since they were five years old, from fighting with bare hands to handling weapons such as guns, sniper and knife.

“How many times did I have to tell you the same thing over and over again. Where did you hide Alharem’s childs, you !” shout Uncle Jung, sharply.

“We only got paid to kill Alharem and his friends, not his wife and his innocent little children!” Jiyeon, who is very frustrated, said furiously.

“I give you an hour to kill his whole family and bring me back their heads. You are good with knifes and swords, aren’t you? Lee Joon, follow her, and if she didn’t want to kill them, you kill them” instructed Uncle Jung.

 

Sehun took a look at his watch, and it’s already three in the morning. Kai was already passed out in their jeep after hours of investigating the sudden murder of Alharem and his friends. He feels so stuffed and suffocated, covering his face with the shawl given by Kai this morning. After Alharem’s sudden death, they need to cover their identities as possible because there is a possibility that the people that killed them might know about their presence.

“Uncle Kim, I think I need to take a walk, and maybe buy some coffee, if only there is a shop that opened this hour” Sehun starting to feel tired and sleepy.

“It’s okay. By the way, if you feel tired, take a rest for a while, son. We can take care the rest from here. But, young man, you and Kai are on full duty tomorrow. I’m out.” said Sergeant Kim, jokingly.

“Nah, I just want to walk and breathe some fresh air. Here are full of bloody smell” Sehun slowly taking his way to the quiet and calm market area. Luckily, he found a stall that is still open and there were quite some people there also.

“One nice hot cup of coffee please” ordered Sehun and take his seat at one of the empty table. He look around, wanted to unwrap his shawl, but then he got caught by a sight of a woman next to his table, playing with something on her hands. A definitely young woman with long wavy black hair, tied messily to her head, white milky skin, but her face is covered with a black mask.Why tho? Wait, that eyes!

Sehun, bravely changed his seat and took a seat in front of that woman.

“Hey there” he started a conversation as soon as his reached the seat.

Jiyeon, who is thinking deeply about the killings of the Alharem’s whole family, surprised with the sudden greeting. She take a look at that mysterious guy in front of her. Isn’t he is the same guy from this afternoon? But why he is still in the same clothes?

“Hey, aren’t you the babysitter from this morning? You are not from around here, right? Judging by how you look and the way you speak in English” Sehun said carefully, doesn’t wanted to get labelled as a judging person.

Jiyeon just glared at him. But, that’s only making Sehun’s heart flutters more. Damn, those cold stare from those sparkling hazelnut-coloured eyes. Sehun keep murmuring in his head.

“Do you believe in love at first sight?” Sehun still trying to talk to her, looking directly and deeply into her eyes.

“I’m sorry but are you losing your mind, sir?” Jiyeon talked for the first time.

“If I say yes, what will you do?” Sehun trying to play with words.

“Why do I need to do anything?” she answered back, annoyed.

“Because you are the reason I’m losing my mind” he fired back.

“You know, I can kill you right now if I want to, so back off!” even she lowered her voice, she stills sound very angry and furious.

“You don’t need to. You already killed me with that cold stares of yours” Sehun whisper softly near her ear, trying to soften her heart a little and hoping for a small chit chat.

And, Sehun actually did make Jiyeon smiled a bit. Luckily, her mask saved her.

“You know, I can feel that you are smiling inside, right?” he's teasing her.

Jiyeon who is lost in words, trying to calm herself, and unconsciously keep observing the guy in front of her. But, to her luck, she can only see his eyes. His messy front hair also covers almost half of it. From the moment their eyes got caught in a hot steamy stare competition that afternoon, she can feels something from this mysterious guy. She feels attracted just by his presence, which was just a short moment.

I am crazy. Jiyeon murmured herself.

“Hey, I’m sorry, but I need to go back home now” Jiyeon stands up, took out some money from her pocket, and put it on the table. As she wanted to leave, Sehun grabbed her right hand carelessly.

“Ouch” Jiyeon shout abruptly in a low voice. She had some bruised and wounds from today’s taking people’s life.

Sehun felt guilty and apologised immediately. “I’m sorry. I just wanna know your name”

Jiyeon glared angrily and start to walk away. Sehun, still feel guilty, keep messing and playing with his hair, when suddenly he saw something on the desk. It’s the thing that Jiyeon has been playing on her hand while her mind got distracted by something. It’s just a plain black rubber necklace with a wooden heart-shaped locket, carved with letter J on it.

Sehun wants to catch her, but got stopped by the stall lady, bringing him the coffee that he ordered just now.

Well, I believe we will meet someday, somewhere, somehow, J. Sehun convinced himself and put the necklace inside his pocket.

 

 

----->Feel free to leave a comment, as I am trying to improve my language and also my story!

Nice to meet all of you :)