A Convenient Meeting

아직도 꿈만 같은데 (Still Like a Dream)

Daniel's eyes crinkled in frustration as beams of sun pierced his skin, finally waking him from his comfortable sleep. Honestly, he wasn't ready to leave his dream-land just yet. He dreamt that he was flying up high amongst the clouds, he was finally having a different dream than his usual dream consisting of him running after that handsome boy with beautiful features and raven hair. Daniel huffed as his thoughts drifted back to the boy; it seemed like every single moment he was awake, since last night in Hongdae, he was thinking or fantasizing about the other boy. Something about him had captivated Daniel fully. It just made Daniel feel all disappointed, because he was probably never going to see him again; he wished the other hadn't ran away or that he could've at least caught up to him. 

With a dramatic sigh, he finally mustered up the energy to reach over to his phone on the bedside table, he checked the time. It was already three o'clock in the afternoon. Opening up his group chat, he decided to tell his friends about his excitement that his dream guy actually exists, but his disappointment that he ran away from him and he most likely will never get the chance to see him again.

 

Daniel: guysss u won't believe what happened last night

Minhyun: You bailed on your group dance assignment to run after a random guy? We all heard the news.

Daniel: yes. but how did u find out hyung?

Jisung: Taewoong told us what were u thinking lol

Daniel: he was the guy from my dream. i had no choice!

Sungwoon: HA! I was just joking wen I told u to find ur mystery man, didn't think u wld take it literally

Jisung: are u joking?? i mean congrats but that's kinda strange Daniel are u not questioning ur sanity

Jaehwan: hahahahahahaha this is a weird situation

Daniel: thanks for the support hyungs. but i'm very sad cause he ran away and i didn't even catch his name. i'll never see him again guys, help

Jisung: why don't u just go back to Hongdae where u first saw him?? mayb he will show up again

Daniel: thanks hyung, that is a great idea. so who is coming with me?

Jisung: sorry. minhyun and i r going 2 study in library : )

Daniel: Sungwoon hyung? Jaehwan?

Sungwoon: Sorry bro, I finally got a gig tonight…

Daniel: oh, that's okay. congrats hyung !! ^^

Jisung: omg i know how hard u've been wrking congrats~

Daniel: Jaehwan?

Daniel: can u come with me pls Jaehwan?

Daniel: …. Jaehwan?

Jaehwan: Sry I was on the toilet. Naahhh, I'm going to the library. Soz Daniel

Minhyun: NO YOU ARE NOT

Jaehwan: TRY TO STOP ME, U KNOW U WANT ME THERE WITH U GUYS *wink wonk*

Minhyun: STOP

Jisung has left the group chat.

 

Daniel sighed and sat his phone back down on the small table beside his bed.

'Some friends they are,' he mumbled to himself. 'I guess I will just have to go myself.'

As Daniel was complaining to himself about his friends, his stomach growled angrily. He hasn't eaten anything since last night, so his stomach had every right to be mad at him. Forcing himself to get out of bed, Daniel decided that he would eat something before going back to Hongdae to search for this star boy from his dreams. He would search for years if he had to; he really wanted to know more about him. Like what his name was, what he did for a living, and what his favourite ice-cream flavour was; Daniel wanted to know all the details, and he wasn't sure why.

Daniel decided to finish the leftover kimchi stew that Woojin's mother had made for him last week. He was very grateful to her; she treated him like he was his own son sometimes and it made Daniel miss his own mother's cooking a lot. After this, Daniel took a shower and got dressed into an oversized t-shirt and some jeans before shoving his wallet into his back pocket, leaving for Hongdae.

As he stepped out of the subway, he immediately made his way through the streets, arriving at the spot he performed at last night. There was a band there busking. They were playing an upbeat love song; they had quite a crowd surrounding them, so Daniel wondered around scanning each and every person's face. None of them were that captivating boy. Daniel decided to give up searching around here for the moment, so he decided to wonder the streets. He tried his hardest to look at every single person who walked by, but considering it was a Saturday night, it was almost impossible because the area was too crowded.

Glancing at the time on his phone, Daniel let out a sigh of defeat. It was already getting late; he had been walking around looking for this mystery guy for over five hours already.

'Where did you run away to Mr. Handsome-guy-with-stars-on-his-face?' he wondered out loud, as he wondered over to the place he had started his search at.

There were different people busking here this time; it was a female dance crew. Daniel watched on in amazement as they made his own dancing look clumsy and awkward. They must have a lot of experience. He hoped that one day he would be as cool as them. After he watched them perform a couple of routines, Daniel decided he would call it a night.

As he entered the subway, Daniel heard his stomach grumbling again. It must be time for dinner (or lunch because he had only just had breakfast). Because he wanted to get home quicker, and he wasn't in the mood to eat out on his own, he decided to resort to a quick meal at the convenience store. He spotted one across from the ticketing window inside the subway, and entered the store in search of something that could be considered a meal. He chose to buy a packet of ramen, along with some spam and cheese that he could add to it. Once he had selected his purchases, he arrived at the counter but there was no cashier. Scratching his head in confusion, Daniel wondered whether he should say anything or not.

'Um, hello?' Daniel spoke after some thought. 'Is there anyone here?'

When Daniel got no response, he just stood there awkwardly wondering whether he should just put the stuff back and go to another convenience store. However, when he heard a bump and a muffled Ouch! coming from behind the counter, he leant over slightly to have a look. Daniel saw someone crouched down behind the counter; he could only see the top of his head. He wondered what the cashier was doing. Daniel cleared his throat, trying to get the attention of the other, but that only made the cashier's body jump slightly in surprise.

'Sorry for surprising you,' Daniel laughed. 'But, what are you doing down there?'

'Um j-just… cleaning under the counter, yeah,' the voice suddenly spoke.

The cashier's voice sounded nervous, but the overall tone and melodious ring that the voice had was pleasing to Daniel's ears.

'I'm sorry for bothering you but, can I buy these?' Daniel asked, hoping to hear the other's voice again.

'Oh! Y-Yes of course, sorry,' he apologised, starting to get up off the floor.

When the cashier rose up from behind the counter, Daniel felt his eyes widen in surprise.

'It's you,' he said, the words coming out of his mouth on their own.

Daniel couldn't believe his eyes; the person he had been searching for all night was standing right in front of him. He felt like he was floating.

'Please don't hurt me, I'm so sorry,' the boy spoke, his expression a mixture of embarrassment and fear. 'I promise I won't do it again.'

Daniel was snapped out of his trance, his brows furrowing in confusion. He had no idea what the other boy was blabbering on about, but he didn't like seeing him look so frightened.

'What? Don't be scared. I don't know what you're talking about, but I won't hurt you; that's the last thing I want to do,' Daniel attempted to comfort the other boy on the other side of the counter with his words.

The other boy relaxed slightly, tilting his head in curiosity.

'So you weren't coming after me?' he asked.

Daniel was still confused but he shook his head.

'So you didn't see me that night,' he said. 'Well, that’s a relief.'

'See what?' Daniel questioned.

At that point, Daniel noticed the boy's name tag and squirmed in anticipation. Finally he would know this mysterious boy with the stars on his cheek's name. He squinted to get a clearer look; the tag read Ong Seongwoo. Daniel thought that the name was fitting. It was a unique name for a unique guy.

'That's not important,' Seongwoo said, finally scanning Daniel's three items.

Daniel frowned, growing curious at what Seongwoo was talking about, but decided to let it slide for now. He was too happy about meeting the boy from his dreams to bother questioning him further.

'Thanks Seongwoo-ssi,' Daniel said, forming a smile when Seongwoo handed him his items in a plastic bag.

'You're welcome Daniel-ssi,' Seongwoo replied, returning the smile.

'Well, I guess I'll go eat this th- wait, I didn't tell you my name,' Daniel pointed out, his previous confusion returning.

'I didn't tell you my name either,' Seongwoo said, going back to the blubbering mess he was earlier.

'It's on your name tag,' Daniel said, pointing to the other's shirt with his name printed on it. 'That still doesn't explain how you knew my name.'

Seongwoo looked defeated. Daniel thought the other was finally preparing to come clean about whatever he was hiding. While Daniel was preparing himself for answers, Seongwoo suddenly jumped the counter in an attempt to get to the store room in the back to hide. However, Daniel reacted quickly, grabbing Seongwoo by the hand and wouldn't let it go.

'Where do you think you're going?' Daniel said, laughing at Seongwoo's ridiculous expression.

He looked like a child being caught stealing candy.

'You really have to stop running away from your problems Seongwoo-ssi,' Daniel pointed out, continuing to chuckle to himself about the situation.

'Okay, okay. You want to hear why I knew your name, and why I keep running away from you?' Seongwoo started, blushing at the contact between them.

'Oh, I should let go of your hand,' Daniel said out loud, blushing as he let go of Seongwoo's hand.

Seongwoo, embarrassed by the interaction and his overall situation, looked to the ground and cleared his voice.

'I uhh… may or may not have followed you home and to your dance class a couple of days ago,' Seongwoo finally admitted. 'I heard your friends calling your name, and I ran away because I thought you might've seen me following you'

Daniel's eyes widened and alarm bells began ringing in his head telling him that this was a dangerous situation. This guy was practically a

'stalker,' Daniel accidentally said the last word of his thoughts aloud.

Seongwoo suddenly looked upset at the accusation that Daniel had made.

'I'm so sorry,' he apologised sincerely. 'I-It was an accident, I swear.'

Daniel suddenly felt bad for the other. He didn't mean to accuse him of being a bad person, he was just slightly weirded out by the situation, as well as cautious (since Seongwoo was basically a stranger). He supposed that he should at least try to hear him out.

'How can following somebody home be an accident? And why me?' Daniel questioned, taking a slight step back.

Seongwoo pouted as the distance between them grew.

'It's really weird to explain. It kind of just… happened,' Seongwoo tried to explain. 'But it's not like I just stalk people as a hobby or anything.'

'This never happened in my dream,' Daniel mumbled to himself.

He wondered why he had the clearest dream about chasing Seongwoo through Hongdae, but he never dreamt about meeting him in the convenience store and Seongwoo confessing about stalking him. This situation made Daniel feel confused. Should he be concerned that Seongwoo was invading his privacy or flattered that Seongwoo would want to stalk someone like himself? Daniel had so many thoughts flying around his head.

'What did you just say Daniel-ssi? Something about a dream?' Seongwoo asked, taking a step forward to fill the gap between them.

'It's a weird story but I kept having dreams about chasing you through Hongdae, and then it kind of just happened. Then I met you here and it is all kind of strange.'

'Then you know what I'm talking about,' Seongwoo said, his eyes widening in wonder.

'What do you mean?' Daniel asked, scratching the back of his neck.

'If you had dreams about me, then those dreams just happened, then you will get why I was following you. I had a dream where I was following you home, and then one where I was following you to your dance class. Then it just kind of happened accidentally. I didn't intend to follow you home, I just wanted to meet you because I saw you before in my dream,' he explained.

'You had those dreams too?' Daniel gasped in disbelief. 'I guess I kind of understand then. But it's weird to have a dream about stalking somebody.'

'You're telling me,' Seongwoo laughed awkwardly and Daniel found him funny so he laughed along.

Daniel was glad that Seongwoo was a funny type of person, because he felt like Seongwoo had broken the ice between them.

'Do you think this is fate?' Daniel suddenly asked. 'It's the only explanation I could think of.'

Seongwoo laughed a little at Daniel's sudden thoughts.

'Maybe,' he replied, realising that they were both still standing in the middle of the store when Daniel's stomach started making noises.

'I guess I'm really hungry,' Daniel blushed shyly.

'You must be; you're stomach sounds like it's fighting itself,' Seongwoo agreed with a chuckle. 'I guess you should eat then.'

'Can you eat with me?' Daniel suddenly requested without thinking. 'I mean, if you're busy since you're at work then that's fine. I just wanted someone to eat with but-'

'The store is quiet and it's almost time for my break anyway,' Seongwoo smiled. 'So I'd love to eat with you Daniel-ssi.'

Daniel felt his heart jumping around his chest as Seongwoo smiled and said those words to him. Seongwoo had the most beautiful smile.

Seongwoo grabbed himself some ramen and offered to make Daniel's ramen for him too as an apology for stalking him. Daniel let Seongwoo make him ramen and accepted the apology, and he decided to try to forget the weirdness of Seongwoo following him home.

As the two enjoyed their simple convenience store meal of instant ramen, the conversation died down a little until Daniel spoke through a mouthful of food.

'So, you probably know what I do but what about you?' he asked, looking up at the other boy who also had a mouthful of food.

'Well, you might not know this but I work at a convenience store in the Hongik University subway station,' Seongwoo joked while Daniel laughed at him. 'Other than that, I'm trying to be a model.'

'Trying to be a model?' Daniel asked, prompting Seongwoo to continue.

'The few times I've been hired were for online stores, and the results were quite embarrassing. I don't think anybody will  be buying any of the products I modelled for anytime soon, the clothes were ugly.'

'I want to see,' Daniel giggled.

'No way, I'd never let you see them. It would be like social suicide.'

'Anyway, I'm surprised that with looks like yours you aren't the most popular model in South Korea,' Daniel said, blushing as he gave the compliment.

'Thank you, I know I have good looks,' Seongwoo said, jokingly flipping his invisible long hair.

'What a typical model,' Daniel said, playing along with a roll of his eyes.

'What about you though? All I know is that you have a passion for dance.'

'So I'm studying dance at the University of Arts as you probably know, and other than practicing dancing, I babysit for cash,' Daniel answered. 'When I finish my dancing major, I want to have a career where I can dance.'

'You're really good at dancing,' Seongwoo complimented. 'When I was watching you guys perform, I was really surprised! Except for the part where you stopped dancing to stare at me. Try not to do anything like that again'

'I couldn't help it,' Daniel said in defence.

'Why? Because I'm so handsome?' Seongwoo smiled in a teasing manner.

'I shouldn't have complimented you; now you've become an egotistic crazy person,' Daniel said, shaking his head in mock disappointment.

'I'm a crazy person? No, you're a crazy person. Who invites the person who stalked them on a dinner date?' Seongwoo joked.

'This is a date?' Daniel asked, feeling the all-too-familiar blush reappear on his face.

Seongwoo, realising that he had called this a date, also blushed.

'Well, of course,' he said, trying to keep up some sense of confidence. 'What else would you call this?'

Daniel hid his face behind his hands and squirmed. He was so embarrassed.

Seongwoo bit his bottom lip, contemplating whether or not to ask Daniel what he was thinking of saying right now. But he decided if he didn't ask, he would regret it later.

'Um, since this is probably a date, can I have your Kakao ID?'

Daniel lowered his hands from his face and nodded.

'Yeah, of course,' Daniel said, the pink tint not leaving his cheeks. 'I'll put it into your phone.'

Seongwoo handed his phone to Daniel who typed in his ID and added himself as a friend.

'There, now we won't have to only see each other in our dreams,' Daniel beamed, handing Seongwoo's phone back to him.