2/2

suddenly then, forever yours

“So I was telling Jackson earlier that I’d love to go to the movies this Saturday,” Jinyoung heard Youngjae telling him as they finished paying up their lunch trays. “But I made it clear that we’re just going out as friends. He needs to woo me properly. My mom and dad would never ever give him my hand for marriage if he doesn’t do so.”

Jinyoung was about to comment on Youngjae’s statement about his ‘hand for marriage’ when he stopped on his tracks. Apparently he was not the only one to do so, given Jaebum’s loud gasping and Yugyeom and Bambam’s frozen figures.

 

“...What are they doing?” Youngjae says when he finally caught up to the others. “Aren’t they seating on the wrong table?”

“I don’t know.” Jinyoung said in daze as he watched Mark eat his lunch with gusto. He seemed to be laughing at something that Jackson said, causing some of crumbs to get out of his mouth. As hilarious as that might have looked, Jinyoung cannot help, but smile at the scene/ “Well, nothing much to do here isn’t it? Why don’t we just ask them?”

 

They were not the only ones who have noticed the change of sceneries at the lunch table arrangements as some students had to point and do a double take when Jinyoung and the others joined Mark and Jackson at the theater club’s usual table. But Jinyoung did not care. They can look and judge all they want, as if they were not used to it already. He felt the familiar fluttering in his heart as he saw Mark smiled, looking up to him.

 

(Jinyoung tried to ignore Inner Jinyoungie squealing at the sight. He must have been really hungry that this has been happening the past few days.)

 

“Hyungs, what are you doing here?!” Bambam exclaimed, making Mark tear his gaze away from Jinyoung, making him sad for a little bit (Inner Jinyoungie is currently side eyeing him with a smug expression on his face). “Aren’t you two gonna get in trouble if you sit with us? I mean, it’s pretty cool, but aren’t you worried you’ll be tagged hanging out with the theater geeks?”

“Ah, don’t mind that.” Jackson explained with a dismissive wave of his hand. “Don’t exaggerate. We’re more than capable of taking care of ourselves. It isn’t like we’ll be cornered on our way back to class for eating with you guys. We’re in high school, not in a gangster movie.”

“Sometimes they feel like the same thing.” Youngjae chimed in as he started to eat his lunch. “But Bambam’s right. It’s pretty cool that you guys still came and seat with us.”

“It is?” Jackson asked in surprise. “You’re cool with it? Does that mean we can count Saturday’s movie date as a ‘date-date’?”

“Haha, you wish,” Youngjae replied with a roll of his eyes. Despite that, Jinyoung noticed that his best friend was smiling. “My parents won’t allow you to sweep me off my feet easily, especially how you kept them up with your singing before.”

“Ah,” Jackson cringed, scratching his head. “I’ll just make sure father-in-law and mother-in-law will come to like the awesome Jackson Wang really soon.”

Youngjae almost choked on his pasta, but thankfully Yugyeom chimed in. “Hyung, gross. Can you and Youngjae-hyung flirt somewhere else? We’re all trying to eat lunch here.”

“I’m not sorry at all.” Jackson shrugged with a proud smile. “You have to get used to that, Kim Yugyeom. It’s gonna happen a lot from now on.”

“Oh?!” Jaebum gasped, almost spilling his glass of orange juice. “Does that mean that you went through with it?”

Jinyoung saw Mark nodding at Jaebum that he cannot help but ask, “What do you mean? Went through with what?”

It was Mark’s turn to look at him and Jinyoung shifted uncomfortably on his seat. He wishes to the high heavens that the little squeak he think he heard was not him, but Inner Jinyoungie.

“We submitted our forms earlier this morning.” Mark further elaborated with a small smile on his face. “It’s official. We’ve transferred to the theater club.”

“What?” Jinyoung asked, looking at Mark in disbelief, but the latter’s smile was enough response for him. He can feel Inner Jinyoungie is flying to the heavens, but he cannot understand why and yet he cannot help returning Mark’s smile despite himself. “I... I can’t believe it. You guys did... I... Welcome to the club!”

“Thanks,” Mark replied. “I hope you guys weren’t too bothered when Jackson and I invaded your table earlier. We would’ve waited but we’re really hungry.”

“That’s alright.” Jinyoung says, feeling his smile getting wider.

 

It was more than alright. The light feeling on his chest has returned. In the most unexplainable way possible, the past weekend had been like hell to him. He had been very restless at home and he even tried to distract himself by going to his mother’s bakery to no avail. There is a pile of unfinished screenplays on his desk, but that was not enough to take his mind off some things. Well, it was not a lot really, just a certain someone.

 

And that certain someone is looking at Jinyoung right now.

 

No.

 

He was not supposed to be thinking about him. Or worry that they will not be hanging out together anymore. No, Park Jinyoung should not really be feeling sad about it. Why should he? He was supposed to be thinking about a different person. Not Mark Tuan. No. He was supposed to like­ –

 

“Hey Jinyoung!”

 

 

 

 

Mark felt Jackson elbowing his stomach as soon as they heard Han Jaesung’s voice. He thought it was unnecessary since he himself would recognize that bastard’s voice anywhere. The scar on his face from the time that Mark punched him was barely recognizable/anymore. He can feel Inner Mark writhing in pain when he sees Jinyoung looked up at him with a small smile on his face as Han Jaesung took a seat beside him.

 

At the back of his mind, Mark remembered Han Jaesung’s words that night. His heart aching at the sight of Jinyoung smiling face at the object of his affections. That should have been me. He thought miserably as he tried to focus on the macaroni and cheese he was eating, which does not look appetizing at all. He takes a quick look at his beautiful rice cake.  I just really want you to be happy, Park Jinyoung. That’s all I ever wanted.

 

“I see you have some visitors in your table today.” Han Jaesung comments, smirking at him and Jackson. “Doesn’t it feel a bit crowded all of a sudden?”

“Yeah, because you came.” Youngjae commented under his breath, but making sure he was heard by everyone at the table. That earned him a reproachful look from Jinyoung. “We were just fine here until you showed up.”

“It’s alright, hyung.” Jinyoung replied quickly clearing his throat. “Mark and Jackson are friends of ours and they’re also the new members of the theater club. They’re welcome to crowd our table anytime. Uhh... I think you guys have already met?” Mark notices Jinyoung quickly giving him an apologetic look.

“We did.” Mark shrugged simply. He does not want to make Jinyoung uncomfortable and sad, so if that meant him being somewhat casual with an (pardon the word) then so be it. That did not stop him from glaring at Han Jaesung’s arm though which are comfortably draped around Jinyoung’s shoulder. It was not just his imagination too. He was pretty sure Jinyoung does not look happy at that gesture as well. (Inner Mark has photo evidences).

“Yeah, we sure did.” Jaesung was looking back at him as if trying to read Mark’s mind. His eyes flickered for a moment to Jinyoung and back at him, making him wonder if Han Jaesung has finally caught on. “But that’s not why I’m here. I just wanna say sorry for not going to your play, Jinyoung-ah. Study group went for hours and I can’t just leave.”

 

BULL. Inner Mark wants to start a war. Han Jaesung was definitely NOT in a study group last Saturday. Quite frankly, he really needs to stop the “study group” excuse, because that is practically an insult to the term itself. No. Mark was pretty sure he has seen photos of Han Jaesung in a senior’s party the other night from his friends’ SNS. He was pretty sure Jinyoung probably knows about it too, looking at his dark expression.

 

“That’s okay, hyung.” Jinyoung says and Mark could not deny seeing the forced smile on Rice Cake’s face. If only he could jump over the table and wrap Jinyoung in a tight hug, he would right away. “I know university exams are coming up. It doesn’t matter.”

“You’re the best, Jinyoung!” Han Jaesung said pulling Jinyoung closer to him. (Inner Mark and real Mark wants to poke his eyes with the fork.) “I promise I’ll go to the next one, okay? Thanks for always supporting me. Say, have you finished that English paper I texted you about? I kinda need it by Wednesday.”

Before Inner Mark can stop him, Mark found himself telling Han Jaesung, “It must have been so hard being a high school senior, hyung. No time to have a good time. I just hope next year all of us can work half as hard as you do. You’re such a role model, hyung.”

 

A brand new type of silence surrounded the table. Jinyoung was looking at him with an unreadable expression. Mark knew he should not have said anything, but can anyone really blame him? Here goes Han Jaesung running his mouth again with all his lies and Jinyoung just forgave him so easily. So yeah, maybe he got really jealous, but at the same time he cannot help but feel disappointed with Jinyoung as well. Is this guy really worth it, Jinyoung-ah? He wants to ask him so bad.

 

“Mark...” Jinyoung started to say, but Mark was not ready to hear any of it. He does not think he would be able to take it especially when Jinyoung is looking at him like that.

“I was just joking,” Mark snorted bitterly, looking intently at his lunch tray. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to ruin lunch for everyone. I guess I’ll just go. I’ll see you guys later.” He stood up from his seat, not being able to take seeing Jinyoung with Han Jaesung any longer.

 

(Inner Mark is rolling on the floor at how overly dramatic he was, but Mark hardly cares anymore. It was not as if he was expecting Jinyoung to run after him. He knew he will not. And it was that fact that makes him miserable the most.)

 

 

 

 

 

“Mark! Mark! Where are you?!”

 

Ah, is this how I’ll lose my mind? I’m starting to imagine Jinyoung’s voice everywhere I go. Mark started to wonder ruefully as he leaned on the rooftop’s railings. Ah, finally some peace and quiet.

 

“There you are!” The rooftop’s door burst open revealing a huffing and puffing Jinyoung. Mark stepped back, if this was an illusion, his mind has really leveled up with the quality. “Did you know it’s bad to make someone run just when he was just finished eating lunch?! If I get a tummy ache you will totally pay my medical bills, Mark Tuan!”

Mark was speechless. He watched as Jinyoung marched over to him. He was trying to look like he was mad at Mark, but it never really reached his eyes. No. It might have still been his imagination, but Jinyoung looked like he was about to... cry?

“Jinyoung, I...” Mark stuttered as Jinyoung stepped closer to him. So what else could Mark do, but do the most logical thing in his head right now? He poked Jinyoung’s cheek.

“What are you doing?” Jinyoung asked, voice breaking a little and looking like he was about to burst into tears. Mark pulled back his hand right away. “Why are you suddenly poking my cheek?” His voice broke towards the end, trying so hard not to cry.

“I’m... I don’t know,” Mark does not know what to do. Ninety five percent of his thoughts still assumes that Jinyoung did not really go after him, that this was just his wishful thinking. “Jinyoung, are you alright?”

“I’m not okay!” Jinyoung says wiping his eyes quickly with his sleeves. “You’re mad at me.”

“I’m not,” Mark said, trying to find his handkerchief in his pocket, but of all days he would forget....

“Liar,” Jinyoung sniffed, his nose turning red. “That’s the thing about you, Mark. You’re so brutally transparent that even your expression totally betrays you. But to be honest, it’s totally fine. I’m really mad at myself too.”

 

Mark watches as Jinyoung took the space beside him, leaning on the metal railings as well. “I was really small when I was maybe five or six. I can’t run around much because of my short legs and my sister would rather stay at home and play with her dolls, so no one really likes to play with me at the playground. But when Jaesung-hyung moved to our neighborhood, he always played with me even though the other kids would tell him that I’m a blunder. He still kept me around even though I’ve been quite bothersome for him. I thought he was really cool for doing that.”

“I see,” Mark answered feeling a lump on his throat forming. “Those guys who won’t play with you are jerks. I’m glad he was there to take care of you.”

“He did.” Jinyoung said with a sigh. “I know he was not the same as he was back then. Times have changed and with that I become more and more afraid that if I let go of him, I might end up being with myself again. I guess I’m still somewhat fixated on the idea of Jaesung-hyung who’s always there to protect me. I do owe him a lot, you see. It’s silly, isn’t it?”

“It is, very,” Mark emphasized, looking at Jinyoung intently. “You must have been really blind, Jinyoung-ah. Youngjae, Jaebum, Yugyeom, Bambam, the whole theater club, even Jackson, everyone has your back. You’re never, ever gonna be alone anymore. Everyone’s here for you always, so there’s nothing to worry about.”

“You didn’t mention your name.” Jinyoung pointed out and Mark flushed. He purposely did not say his name, thinking he might say something embarrassing in the end. “You said everyone’s name, except yours. When you left the lunch table, I was so worried. You looked at me with so much disappointment at that time. I felt so selfish. Right now, I feel like the whole world can be mad at me, but I can’t take it if it’s you. I’m a bad person, aren’t I? I can’t understand myself. I don’t know why I’m suddenly acting this way, Mark. I don’t. I...”

“It’s alright,” Mark did not trust his hands at the moment, because they are aching to hold Jinyoung’s, so he kept it in his pockets. “You don’t have to figure things out right away. Sometimes, it helps not knowing about things and just let them work by themselves. Besides, I wasn’t lying when I said I wasn’t mad at you. Disappointed, maybe...” He added when he saw Jinyoung about to say something. “But I don’t think it would matter anyway.”

“It does matter to me.” Jinyoung says quietly. “Youngjae says my problem is that I was too stubborn to listen, even though Jaesung-hyung has done this too me countless times, it seems automatic for me to forgive him whenever he apologizes.”

“You do know how to listen,” Mark countered. “It’s just... You’d rather listen to your heart than your mind, which isn’t a bad thing from time to time. Trust me. I do it all the time.”

 

“...Ah, does that mean you do have someone you like already Mark-ah?” Jinyoung asked after a few moments of silence. “Who is it?”

“Yes, to the most beautiful person in the world.” Mark replied, catching Jinyoung’s gaze. He really is the most beautiful person in the world. His eyes are the most innocent ones I’ve ever seen. I just want to protect him for the rest of my life. “He has a smile that can brighten up the whole room and a heart that can purify anyone around him. He’s kind and smart and funny. He has the ability to make my heart rate go into overdrive when he’s around, and just by seeing him, he can make my day brighten up. But this person, he doesn’t know how I felt about him because he’s always looking at somewhere else. I told myself when I first saw him that ‘I’m gonna marry that guy’, but right now, I’m fine just standing in the sidelines.” He fixes his gaze with Jinyoung’s making sure that the other hears what he was trying to say, “I don’t know if the day will come when I will be able to tell that person, ‘yah, can’t you see that I’m in love with you?’, but that’s alright. In the meantime, I’m contented protecting him secretly.”

“Wow. That guy is lucky.” Jinyoung says softly and Mark cannot help but look away. “He needs to know how much lucky he is and stop looking the other way. How can he not notice you?”

“I don’t know.” Mark chuckled with a shrug. “It’s pretty obvious he’s very, very dense.”

“Very is the right word.” Jinyoung laughed in return. “If he only knows how much he’s missing out right now. I bet he would feel so silly. You’re a great guy, Mark. It’s impossible for that person to not like you back. I’m sure of it. What you just need to do is to fight for him and make sure he sees you this time.”

Mark smiled. Jinyoung really is the most precious person in the world and this might be the closest thing he would ever be in confessing to him, but hey, maybe he would at least listen to his own advice this time and see how things would work.

 

“I’m just hoping you’re right, Jinyoung-ah.”

 

 

 

“C’mon. Let’s go back to class. I think I heard the bell rang a few minutes ago.”

“Alright.”

“Jinyoung....”

“Hmm?”

“When you came in, did you close the door shut?”

“I think so. Yeah.”

“Did you see the rock I put on to keep the door open?”

“Uhh, I’m not sure. I was too worried when I came in that... Oh my God, Mark! Are we locked out?”

“I’m afraid so.”

“Oh no! I’m so sorry! What do we do now?”

 

Mark started to laugh. This is just their luck. Maybe, he was allowed to be selfish for a little bit just this one time. He gently holds Jinyoung’s hand and pulled him back.

“I guess it’s no use.” Mark says as he led Jinyoung to where they were earlier. “We can just have the guys save us later. I know you have a pristine record, Jinyoung-ah, but there’s always a first time to playing hooky.”

Jinyoung shrugged, returning Mark’s smile. “I guess I shouldn’t worry about it anyway. It’s my fault we’re locked out in the first place.”

“That’s the spirit.”

 

 

 

 

 

“I guess I’ll see you tomorrow, Jinyoung-ah?” Mark has the same boyish smile on his face as he bid good night to Jinyoung.

He does not know how or when, but one second he was hanging with his friends at Yugyeom’s family restaurant and now he found Mark walking him back to their house. Jinyoung felt guilty. He does not even know how far away Mark’s house was from theirs yet he was standing in front of the Park household at eight in the evening.

“Mark,” Jinyoung reached for his arm. Youngjae and him had always hung around each other’s house at some school nights whenever they have some free nights away from the Theater Club, but having Mark standing in front of him right now, feels a whole lot different when he hangs with his best friend. “Text me once you’re home okay? I’m so sorry for keeping you.”

“That’s not a problem.” Mark says. He’s really too kind. Jinyoung thought, smiling to himself. “If it’s you, Jinyoung-ah, you can take all my time. “ Jinyoung felt his cheeks warming up right away. He knew Mark was just playing around, especially when he was smiling at him like that. He was just being a nice friend as usual, so there was not any point getting shy or feeling his heartbeat racing. Besides...

 

Mark already likes someone else. And you are supposed to like Jaesung-hyung, Park Jinyoung! What nonsense are you thinking right now?

 

Mark did not leave right away. As soon as Jinyoung enters their house, he runs to their living room, wanting to see Mark walking away. Secretly looking through the window, he watches Mark stalled for a couple of minutes before making his way back home. It made Jinyoung’s heart ache wondering at his ridiculous thought if Mark does this to all of his friends.

 

Does he walk him home too?

 

 

 

Pushing all the bitter thoughts away, Jinyoung looked on the deserted street until he was sure there were no traces of Mark anymore. He heard his phone beeping. It was ridiculous of him to expect that it was already Mark texting him already that he was home. It was not him, of course, but a familiar name that would have made Jinyoung’s heart drop if he received it a few weeks ago.

 

Hey Jinyoung! Just wanna remind you about my English paper I need! If you don’t mind, I know I said earlier I need it by Wednesday but change of plans. I need it maybe tomorrow evening. I have a history paper due on Friday that I need you to help me with. That’s why if you can maybe finish the English one earlier. I don’t wanna flood you with my papers. Thanks! I owe you a lot!

Jinyoung stared at the text from Jaesung. He does not understand. Usually he (and Inner Jinyoungie) would have been freaking out, trying to figure out what to reply to his long-time crush, but now. Now, he just feels like a fool. However, that thought was quickly replaced by guilt as he reminded himself that it was Jaesung-hyung he was supposed to be thinking of. So what other choice does he have, but to reply?

Okay, hyung.

Jaesung replied a few moments later. Say, I saw you hanging out with your friends earlier. We haven’t been hanging much around anymore do we? Why don’t you come with me to this party we have this Saturday as a thank you for doing my homework?

Jinyoung bit his lip. A part of him feels like he owed himself to at least spend time with Jaesung now that he was asking him out (even if it was only just a thank you). Wasn’t this what he wanted from the beginning? It was Jaesung that he likes. The person that he was supposed to like. But why does it feel so wrong replying to him with a short “okay, hyung. See you”? Jinyoung does not know anymore.

 

Jinyoung hears another beep from his phone, but this time it was a different name that flashed on his screen. Unaware of the huge smile adorning his features, Jinyoung quickly opened the message and cannot help a small chortle when he saw the content.

 

It was a photo of Mark in the bus, making a silly expression at him. The photo was captioned ‘I’m alone at the bus! Try to sleep soon, Jinyoung-ah! I’ll see you tomorrow!’

It was just such a simple message, but enough to make Jinyoung nervous. It took him several attempts, trying to figure out what to tell Mark in return. Eventually, he did respond to Mark with a message he felt was not too excited and not too boring either. (But that did not stop Inner Jinyoungie from being embarrassed of himself as soon as he sent that message. He wished there was a recall button.)

 

Hahaha. You look funny! Be careful on your way home okay? Text me as soon as your home!

 

Mark texted seventeen minutes later informing Jinyoung that he was finally home. For Jinyoung, it was the longest seventeen minutes of his life. For several times, he found his finger hovering over the call button, but thought better of it. He felt ridiculous worrying this way, but he cannot find himself concentrating on his homework that he kept on checking his phone despite it not being in silent mode.

 

Jinyoung had a hard time sleeping that night, not because he was worried about something. No, quite the opposite of that really. He and Mark had chatted for the past three hours, mostly because of the difficult chemistry assignment that they have. And by the end of it, Jinyoung just felt... Happy.

 

He really does not want this to end. He thought as he hugged his favorite plushie. But Mark already likes someone else and you are supposed to like Han Jaesung. Do not forget that.

 

Jinyoung hugs his plushie tighter.

 

 

 

 

 

Youngjae thought it was a bad idea, so bad that he almost cancelled his “date” with Jackson to accompany Jinyoung to the party. Jinyoung was able to talk him out of it. He knew how much Youngjae had done to protect him and he felt like it was his best friend’s time to have fun. Although Youngjae would deny it, Jinyoung knew how much he was looking forward to Saturday.

 

Jaebum thought the same. He never really trusted Han Jaesung, especially now that he was only asking Jinyoung out for his homework. It was quite shady indeed.

 

Bambam gave him a pepper spray just in case. He gave Jinyoung another bottle during lunch on Friday just to be sure.

 

Yugyeom tried to talk him out of it. He even gave Jinyoung a coupon for free meals on Saturday at their family’s restaurant just so he won’t go.

 

Jackson freaked out when he found out, but Jinyoung already told him that Youngjae is still going him to their movie date on Saturday. Basically he had no other choice.

 

Jinyoung also made Jackson promise not to tell Mark. He did not even know why he felt the need to do that.

 

Somehow, Jinyoung felt that if he tells Mark about going out with Han Jaesung this Saturday and Mark says no... He most probably would not go through with it. And it scares that he was having those kinds of thoughts.

 

Mark probably will not care about it as much as Jinyoung was hoping for him to be. Silly, selfish Park Jinyoung and his ridiculous thoughts.

 

 

 

Saturday could not have come soon enough. And Jinyoung found himself drowned in a sea of drunken high school students in a house of a senior student he barely knew.

He never really liked going to parties. Not that he thought going to one is wrong though. Blame it to his introverted personality or whatever, but he never really enjoyed the atmosphere in the first place or the taste of beer. He would rather spend his entire weekend reading at home or writing the screenplay for the Theater Club’s upcoming Christmas play.

 

 

“Hey, Jinyoung! Are you having fun yet?” Jaesung sat beside him on the couch Jinyoung was sitting the whole time since they have arrived. This is the first time that he saw Jaesung since they came. Although Jinyoung cannot blame him in the first place. Jaesung-hyung is such a popular guy and he was rather popular, so all Jinyoung could do was to just sit in one area and not cause any trouble. He was lucky enough that Jaesung still wanted to hang out with him in the first place.

“I am. Thanks, hyung.” Jinyoung said with a smile. He can tell from Jaesung’s red face and the smell of mixed alcohol and smoke that he had been doing quite a lot tonight.

Jaesung leaned in close to him, making Jinyoung shift uncomfortably in his seat. “You seem bored, Jinyoung-ah. Why don’t we get out of here?” Jaesung says, his words, terribly slurred, pulling Jinyoung from his seat and out of the party.

 

 

Jinyoung tried to talk Jaesung out of it, since he was worried that his hyung was a little bit drunk and it would be a bit dangerous if he drove them home drunk. However, the elder’s hand’s grip on his wrist was too tight while he forces Jinyoung inside his car, shouting at Jinyoung to keep it shut. Jinyoung felt his heart beating fast. He was scared. Scared seeing Jaesung eyeing him darkly from the driver’s seat. Jinyoung holds the seatbelt around him tightly, counting the seconds till he was safely back at home.

 

Mark, please come and save me.

 

 

Han Jaesung did not drive him home. Instead, they ended up on a part of a city that Jinyoung had not been in before. Jinyoung nervously scanned the surrounding buildings when he finally realized where Jaesung was about to take him, what the person who he looked up to almost all his life was about to do to him. He felt his whole belief getting shattered right at that moment. Han Jaesung, Park Jinyoung thought this was the person who was going to protect him for the rest of his life. Or so he hoped he would have. Jinyoung was so wrong.

“Let me out of the car, hyung.” Jinyoung said quietly from his seat. He does not know when Jaesung would stop driving and he was scared that soon enough he would find a love hotel to bring Jinyoung in. “I’m going home.”

Jaesung swerved the car sharply to the curb, making Jinyoung’s hands shiver at this point. Jinyoung thought Jaesung was allowing him to get out of the car when he felt the older shoving him back in his seat and held Jinyoung’s wrist tightly.

“What’s wrong, Jinyoung-ah?” Jaesung says leaning close to Jinyoung’s ear drunkenly. Jinyoung was frozen in his seat, shaking. “Isn’t this what you wanted from the beginning? Come on, don’t act shy now. You like me, don’t you?”

Jinyoung felt disgusted, of himself, of Han Jaesung. He wanted to scream, but he seemed to not be able to find his voice. All he wanted was to run away, far, far away from Han Jaesung. All of his willpower seemed to be washed away by fear as he feels Jaesung’s touch turning roughly every second, that he feels his wrist was about to break into two. He wanted to be saved, he wanted to shout, and he wanted someone to take him away from here. All Jinyoung wanted, his mind, his heart, his soul begging and screaming for one person and one person only...

 

“Mark!” Jinyoung cried all of a sudden. He felt tears dampening his cheeks already as Han Jaesung pulled back and looked up at him in undisguised surprise.

Feeling that this is his one and only opportunity to escape, Jinyoung used all of his strength to push Jaesung away with a punch on his face. He takes out the pepper spray Bambam has given him and sprayed Jaesung straight in his eyes. Seeing the other recoil back on his seat, he hurriedly took the seatbelt off of him and got out of the car.

Jinyoung does not know where to go, but he continued to run away as far as his adrenaline would take him. Finally, he found himself in a familiar part of the city. He felt relief when he sees a 24 hour convenience store nearby and it was only then that he had finally have the courage to take out his phone, his hands shaking as he dialed the number of the only person in his mind right now.

 

 

 

 

 

“Ah! It’s so boring!” Mark shouted as he plopped on his study table. It was supposed to be the weekend, but he has nothing else to do. He had been so used to spending his Saturdays hanging out with the Theater Club, but since they are currently into a four week hiatus before they prepare for the winter play, he had no choice but to stay at home. His phone has been beeping nonstop, because Jackson kept on sending pictures from his date with Youngjae. As much as he was happy for his best friend’s love life, he cannot say the same thing for his.

He sees the little plant that Jinyoung gave him as a thank you for the last play’s success. It brought an automatic smile on his face. “I wonder what Jinyoung-ah’s doing right now. Do you think he’s also bored right now, Sprout?”

Sprout. His mother thought it was silly at first, naming a little plant, but she understood right away when Mark told her that it was a gift from Jinyoung. He had to fight for it since his mom wanted to put little Sprout in their garden, but Mark insisted that he stayed in his room. To prove his point, he made sure to put him near the window, giving it enough sunlight and to water it every day.

Mark checked his SNS accounts for the nth time that day. Unfortunately, he has not seen any updates from Jinyoung today. One thing he was glad about was the fact that he can shamelessly double check Rice Cake’s account since they became friends. (Inner Mark is still judging him so hard though, but Mark tries to ignore him.)

As if on cue, Mark heard his phone ringing. He was surprised to see Jinyoung’s name flashing on the screen. Jumping from his seat, he hurriedly fetched the device from his bed.

“Hello, Jinyoung-ah?” Mark says, but as soon as he heard Jinyoung’s voice he knew that something went terribly wrong.

 

 

 

Mark found Jinyoung sitting on the corner most seats inside the convenience store. Jinyoung looked pale and fidgety as he looked around the place. His eyes are bloodshot red and his skin looking pale that Mark cannot help but run to him as quickly as he can. Jinyoung sees him immediately and stood up. He saw the relief washing over Jinyoung’s expression, bringing some peace in Mark’s troubled heart.

“Jinyoung, oh my god...” Mark tried to say, his voice shaking. Jinyoung latched on to him right away, crying his eyes out. He sits the both of them back on the table, his hair gently. He can feel Jinyoung shivering under his touch.

Mark does not say anything, more of because he can feel the anger rising up his throat. He wanted to destroy Han Jaesung right at this moment; for making Jinyoung like this, for even attempting to do a bad thing to the person he loves the most in the world. Mark was mad beyond reason, and he was not even there to protect Jinyoung when Jinyoung needed him the most. He should have known he should have been there; he should have taken away Jinyoung right from the very beginning.

 

“What did he say,” Jinyoung says quietly when he had calmed down after a little while. “That time when you punch him, what did he say?”

“I... Just something bad,” Mark stumbled on his words. He does not really want to lie, but given the situation, it will be better if Jinyoung does not know. “It doesn’t matter, just something stupid.”

“I’m so sorry this is a bit presumptuous but,” Jinyoung says looking up at Mark with his beautiful sparkling sad eyes. “Was it about me?”

“...No.” Mark says a little too quickly, that he had to cringe a little.

Jinyoung snorted bitterly, “Haven’t I told you already that you’re too transparent, Mark-ah?” He took a deep breath. “I kind of expected it already, him saying things behind my back. I’m just... I’m so sorry, Mark. You got in trouble because of that, but also... I want to thank you at the same time. Ah, I don’t know what I’m saying anymore. My mind is so cluttered with so many things; I don’t know if I’m still making sense”

“It’s alright,” Mark says, daring to hold Jinyoung’s hand. It felt so warm against his. “I’m not just saying it. Everything’s gonna be okay. Trust me.”

“I do.” Jinyoung nodded his head with conviction. “I do, just so you know.”

“It’s getting late,” Mark says looking at the time. Jinyoung’s parents must be worried already. “I should go ahead and take you home.”

Jinyoung hesitated for a bit. “I... I’m scared.” He says quietly, worriedly biting his lip. “I... I don’t want my mom and dad seeing me like this. And... I feel like h-hyung will find me there. I don’t... I don’t want to see him ever again.”

Mark thought about it for a bit, “Well, if that’s the case. If you won’t mind, I’ll take you to the safest place in all of Seoul.”

 

 

 

“Yes, mom. Yeah, okay, I’ll see you tomorrow. I love you.” Mark hears Jinyoung says to his mother before hanging up. They were almost at their Mark’s house. Jinyoung had calmed down a whole lot along the way. Mark steered his father’s car a little bit slower as they got closer.

“Everything’s good with your parents?” Mark looked at Jinyoung from his seat.

“Yeah,” Jinyoung chuckled from his seat. “My mom was a bit surprised, but when she found out I’m gonna be staying overnight at your place, she was totally fine with it. She was your fan, you see, ever since she watched you at the play. It’s funny.”

“Ah,” Mark says, his cheeks reddening. So, mother-in-law, oh, Jinyoung’s mom already approves of him. Ah, stop thinking about that. This is not the time, Mark Tuan. “I really don’t know what to say about that, but I’m really flattered. I mean, the nation’s #1 playwright’s mom praising me...”

“Stop it,” Jinyoung chided. “Although you were so amazing in your performance, I can’t thank you enough.”

“You don’t have to,” Mark replied, while he parked his father’s car in the driveway. “I’m just glad, you’re feeling better now. You’re smiling again.”

“Oh, I’m...” Jinyoung says, looking like he had been caught off guard, his cheeks turning pink. “I am feeling much better and much, much safer. Thanks to you.” Mark felt his heart aching as Jinyoung offered him a small grateful smile. “I’m so sorry if I’m such a burden tonight.”

“That’s not a problem at all.”

 

 

 

 

 

Mark should have known. That was his single thought as he face palmed himself as soon as they entered the doorway. His parents are already waiting for them with knowing smiles on their faces. As soon as they saw Jinyoung, they have not stopped fawning over him. Mark just wishes Jinyoung to not be traumatized. He had been through enough tonight.

It has not been a secret really, especially to his parents, how special Jinyoung is to him. Mark never really found the need to keep it from them. In his seventeen years of life, there had only been a handful of times his parents had embarrassed him. As much as Mark loves them a whole bunch, he cannot handle how – for the lack of a better word – ‘extra’ they were being right now.

 

“Ah! Jinyoung-ah!” Mark heard his mother exclaimed. “Mark didn’t tell us you were coming tonight! We could’ve prepared a feast for you. Unfortunately, my dear son only informed us you were coming just now! Do you want something? Maybe Auntie can whip us something for you! Hold on, I know it’s late, but I think I can still make you some pancakes!” she says, before heading to the kitchen.

“I was such a fan of your work, Jinyoung,” Mark’s father interrupted, leading a confused Jinyoung, but smiling to their living room. Mark trailed with them just in case. “I almost cannot believe it when Mark told me it was a classmate who wrote the play! I was crying the entire time! Well, me and my wife both are!”

“Dad...” Mark tried to plead with his father, but only going in from one ear and out of the other in a snap. “Please, tone it down for a bit.”

“Aha!” His father chuckled at him. “Look at this, boy! Why are you suddenly getting all shy? You always talk about Jinyoung! Believe me, Jinyoung. He won’t stop talking about you!”

“Really?” Jinyoung turned at him and Mark flushed right away. Rice Cake was smiling at him warmly, obviously not deterred by Mark’s dad exposing him. “You talk about me? I didn’t know that.”

“Dad’s exaggerating.” Mark mumbled under his breath, clearing his throat to hide his embarrassment. “Don’t listen to him.” But Jinyoung only giggled at him as he continued listening to the story of Mark’s dad.

 

 

“I’m so sorry. I hope my parents didn’t freak you out.”

It was an hour and a half later when finally; finally, they were able to settle Jinyoung inside one of the guest rooms. Mark’s mom was not joking when she prepared a pancake feast for Jinyoung. Luckily, Jinyoung seemed like he enjoyed himself, chatting with Mark’s parents. Mark just let them be. He was just happy that Rice Cake was enjoying himself and getting comfortable bit by bit.

“Your parents are so nice.” Jinyoung says with a small smile on his face. “I can understand now why you’re such a good guy.”

“Ah,” Mark scratched his head in embarrassment. “That’s too much. I just did what any good friend would have done.”

“Right,” Jinyoung hesitated for a little bit. He averted his gaze for a bit, before staring back at Mark. “Mark... I, I don’t know how I can thank you and your family enough. I have been such an inconvenience for you guys tonight that I...”

“Jinyoung,” Mark interrupted. “Don’t worry about it. We’re happy to have you here. I mean, you’ve seen my mom and dad. I think you’re more welcome here than I ever was.” Jinyoung returned his smile. “I’m just glad you’re okay, that you’re safe. That’s the only thing that matters the most. You’re not alone, okay? Don’t ever forget that.”

“Thank you.” Jinyoung says softly. For a few moments, they just stared at each other. Mark did not even know what to say. He was already getting lost in Rice Cake’s eyes. I will protect you no matter what. He promised himself.

“Have a good night’s sleep after you take a shower, okay? Towel’s in the bathroom and there are some spare pajamas on the counter.” Mark finally says as he heads to the door, but not without waving a short goodbye to Jinyoung.

“Good night, Mark.”

 

 

 

Mark cannot sleep. He has a lot of things in his mind right now, most particularly about the other person staying in the guest room across from his. There were a lot of things that transpired tonight, but that does not matter anymore. Han Jaesung does not matter anymore. As much as it was true that Mark wants to murder him, his anger will not lead anywhere, will it? He has decided from the moment he saw Jinyoung cry that he will fight for him, to hell and back.

 

I will not make you cry, Jinyoung-ah.

 

I’ll make sure that the next time you will it’s because you feel so happy that you can’t contain your happiness anymore.

 

Mark was about to drift to sleep when he heard some soft knockings on his door. He thought it was only his imagination, but to his surprise, it was Jinyoung looking so soft and vulnerable wearing Mark’s old pajamas. He had brought his pillows with him. There was a hesitant expression on his face as soon as Mark opened his door.

“C... can I sleep here?” Jinyoung asked quietly. “It’s just... I can’t sleep in the room alone and I feel... s-scared. I’m... I’m sorry. This is silly. I’ll just return to the guest room. I’m so sorry Mark.”

“N-no! It’s okay!” Mark replied nervously. It was not that he did not want to. It was just...It was Rice Cake sleeping in his room. INNER MARK IS IN FULL ALERT MODE. MAYDAY.  “You can sleep in here, Jinyoung-ah.”

Jinyoung’s face brighten up almost immediately as he entered the room. “Thank you!” Mark was already freaking out seeing Rice Cake bounced around the room happily. “Oh! You’ve kept the little plant here!” He says when he saw Sprout by the bedroom window.

“Ah you mean, Sprout?” Mark trails after him as Jinyoung cooed at the little potted plant. “Yeah, mom wants to take it outside, but I wanted him here.”

“Sprout?” Jinyoung turned to him with an amused expression. “Is that his name?”

“Yeah,” Mark answered with an embarrassed expression. Oh well, his parents had been exposing him all night anyway. There was no point in feeling awkward anymore. “I’d prefer taking care of him since it’s a gift from you.”

“I’m glad Sprout’s doing well. Thank you.” Jinyoung said lightly and Mark feels his heart getting warmer. Inner Mark meanwhile was too busy doing ballet.

 

 

 

“I’ll sleep on the floor, Jinyoung-ah, okay? You take the bed.”

Mark was just about to go out and get the extra futon from the other room, when he felt Jinyoung pulling him back with the fabric of his shirt. He had his head hung, staring blindly at the floor. Mark turned to him to see what was wrong, but Jinyoung only shook his head at him.

“If you sleep on the floor, I’ll sleep on the floor too.” Jinyoung said quietly, looking up at him with pleading eyes. “We can just share the bed. I... Don’t leave me please.”

 

 

If Mark cannot sleep earlier, then now, there was no way he was getting a wink of sleep tonight. Park Jinyoung aka Rice Cake aka Mark Tuan’s love of his life is literally on his bed, just centimeters away from him. He honestly cannot move, let alone breathe. He wanted to check so bad if Jinyoung’s already sleeping, but he was too nervous. He can hear his heartbeat in his ears.

“Mark?” Jinyoung asked all of a sudden that Mark nearly jumped in surprise. “Are you awake?”

“Yeah,” Mark replied, feeling his throat getting dry. “Is everything alright?”

He feels Jinyoung shifting in his position. “Yeah, everything’s well.” Mark can feel Rice Cake’s eyes on him, so throwing all logic out of the window; he shifted himself as well so he and Jinyoung will be face to face.

“What’s up?” Mark asked, his heart rate going on overdrive because Jinyoung’s face (and lips) is literally inches away from him.

“I know you’ve told me that I don’t have to say it anymore, but thank you.” Jinyoung says softly. His eyes looking so sincere and determined. “For everything, Mark. I realized that since the day we’ve been friends, all you did was save me. Thank you. And also for taking care of Sprout, I’m so happy seeing him alive and healthy. I wouldn’t have known what could have happened to me if I hadn’t met you.”

“And like I said, I’m just glad you’re okay,” Mark says with a smile, which Jinyoung returned right away. Damn, I’m really in love with this guy, aren’t I?

“When J-Jaesung-hyung was trying t-to t-touch me,” Jinyoung’s lips trembled, his eyes welling up immediately. “I got so s-scared. My mind went almost blank. You’re the only one I can think of. I w-wanted you t-to save me. I g-guess what I’m trying to say i-is, I’ll forever be grateful that you came, Mark. You’re always making me smile, making me so happy...”

Mark reaches his hand to wipe the tears from Jinyoung’s cheeks. Jinyoung felt so soft under his touch. He can feel Jinyoung’s lashes tickling his fingers as he fluttered his eyes shut. “I will always come, Jinyoung-ah. I promise I’ll always protect you from now on.”

Mark watches as Jinyoung nodding his head convincingly. His beautiful eyes meeting Mark’s once again. He feels Jinyoung’s hand reaching for his. They did not say anything, but just held their gazes together, their fingers intertwined under the blanket. Mark squeezing Jinyoung’s hand as if emphasizing his point. I promise to protect you. He felt Jinyoung leaning in and squeezing his hand back as if telling him that I trust you. I believe you. Thank you.

 

And maybe it was that moment that Mark finally felt that he could breathe. That from now on, everything will be alright. That it was okay for him to take a step closer to the person waiting for him from the other side. And so that was what he did. He can feel his hands shaking as he slowly lets go of Jinyoung’s hand.

Mark sees Jinyoung’s eyes slightly widen in surprise when he pulls him against him. His heart was beating so fast as he tucked Jinyoung’s head gently under his chin, wrapping his arms around the other. For a short moment, he wondered if Jinyoung could hear the loud heartbeat from his chest. If he did, then Jinyoung did not seemed to be bothered by it, especially when Mark felt the other wrapping his arm around him in return,

Neither of them said anything. In their own little space of comfort, neither of them felt the need to.  

 

 

 

 

 

Youngjae obviously was already in the loop come Monday morning, because he looked like he was about to raise some hell when they were gathered on their usual table during lunch.

“I will kill him.” Youngjae ranted from his seat. “I will seriously kill him. We should have him reported. I swear!”

“I already did.” Jinyoung replied to calm his friend down. “Earlier this morning. I haven’t been able to tell you yet, sorry. Mark accompanied me to the principal’s office.” It took a lot of convincing from Mark the whole weekend to have the incident reported to the school’s authorities, but Jinyoung was glad he did go through with it.

“Although, unfortunately,” He continues ruefully. “I don’t think anything will happen though. His parents are both in the school’s board of directors. I’m just glad I was able to at least punch and pepper spray his face. He doesn’t look good, does he?”

“Ah,” Jaebum chimed in, doing a quick look where Jaesung was sitting. “Well, his face doesn’t look good in any other way, in the first place. Good job.”

“So, what should we do about it then?” Yugyeom says from his seat mischievously. “I’m thinking spray paint and baseball bats and maybe we should do something about his tires.”

“No!” Jinyoung shook his head in disagreement. “No violence and vandalism! We can’t stoop down to his level. I don’t want you guys to be in trouble because of that guy’s fault.”

“But hyung...” Bambam protested.

“No please,” Jinyoung said with finality. “Don’t do it for me, okay? Let’s just forget it and just move on. It was my fault in the first place for not listening to you guys all along.”

“Well, you’re right,” Youngjae looked at him sternly. “You should’ve listened to us in the first place, but as much as that was true, it’s not your fault that he’s an entitled prick.”

Youngjae looked like he was about to still say something else when Bambam shushed him all of a sudden. “Hyung, be quiet! Your prince and Jinyoung-hyung’s prince are coming!”

Jinyoung flushed. His prince? Since when has Mark been his prince? Inner Jinyoungie is already judging him so hard because he automatically assumed that what Bambam meant to be “his prince” is Mark Tuan. Jinyoung wants to bury himself to the ground. (But not that deep because he still wants to see Mark at some point.)

 

 

 

“What’s up guys?” Jackson greeted rather loudly and cheerfully as he and Mark joined their friends. “Nice day, isn’t it?”

“What are you so chirpy about?” Youngjae eyes him in annoyance. “Haven’t you heard about what happened?”

“I did, my precious otter.” Jackson blinked at him dreamily, which made Youngjae grimace at him due to the term of affection. “It was horrible.” He turned to Jinyoung and gave him an apologetic smile. “I hope you’re alright, Jinyoung. Don’t you worry Mark and I will make sure no one touches anyone at the table. Everyone here is untouchable.”

To emphasize his point, Jackson pulls up the sleeves of his uniform and shows off his biceps. Even Mark was getting secondhand embarrassment from his best friend.  As much as Jackson was trying to bluff himself out of the situation, he was at least correct. He was glad to know that he at least has his best friend’s back especially when he told Jackson about what happened.

Both of them were more than happy to see Han Jaesung lining up with them at the cashier earlier. Mark wanted to make a statement, so he made sure he caught his former rival’s eye and glared at him furiously, making sure that the other got his message clearly: If you touch Park Jinyoung anywhere, you’re not only gonna get punched. I will end you without even thinking about it. Jackson backed him up perfectly while flexing his biceps and cracking his fists.

Let’s just say Han Jaesung quickly walking away in fear was more than satisfying to watch, mainly because the senior made sure he was surrounded by his friends when Mark and Jackson walked past their table. Coward.

 

But Han Jaesung is not important anymore anyway, Mark thinks in determination. All that matters is here, right here sitting around this table. He watches in amusement as Jackson yelled at the two youngest of their friends who were trying to throw their fries at him when his best friend said something outrageous once again. They laughed watching Yugyeom and Bambam got chased around the cafeteria by Jackson whose hair not covered by varieties of salt and potatoes.

He accidentally catches Jinyoung along with them. It was good to see him laugh once again. Mark had made sure he was able to drop Jinyoung home, come Sunday morning and had been talking to him ever since, whether on the phone or through their SNS. It might have been a bit selfish on his part; it was a bit of a comfort for him that he made sure Rice Cake was doing just fine at home.

 

“Mark?” Jinyoung looked at him curiously with a slight frown that Mark wanted to iron the wrinkles with his fingers. “Is everything alright? Do I have something on my face?” He brings his small fingers consciously on the corners of his lips.

Mark shook his head with a small smile on his face. “Yup, everything’s perfectly fine now.”

Jinyoung returned his smile.

 

 

 

 

 

“I can’t concentrate.” Jinyoung says in all seriousness as he lowers down his chemistry book. “Sprout is staring at me. He’s calling his father. He doesn’t want me to suffer through all these formulas and elements and compounds.”

Mark looked up at him from the other side of the table. “Ah, don’t make excuses, Park Jinyoungie.” He handed Jinyoung the heavy textbook once again, which the other responded with a look of reproach and a small pout on his lips. Ah, you’re really bad for my whole being, Rice Cake. Inner Mark is currently spazzing. “Now, go study and stop bringing Sprout into this, who by the way for your information is my child, so I’m his father.”

“But I’m the one who gave him to you!” Jinyoung protested from his seat. “So I’m supposed to be his dad!”

“Alright, alright,” Mark eyed him in adornment. Jinyoung was clearly stalling for them to delay studying chemistry, which Mark learned Rice Cake hated because he would rather finish writing scripts all night than memorize formulas.

However, since the club is on a hiatus and exam season is coming, everyone is on study mode right now. Mark does not know how it came about, but it seemed that it was an elaborate scheme done by their friends that Jinyoung is now sitting in Mark’s room for the second time in the past three days. It was just fortunate that Mark was getting good enough chemistry grades compared to Jinyoung’s.

“Let’s just agree that we’re both Sprout’s fathers.” Mark blurted out before he was able to stop himself. He can feel his cheeks warming up immediately, even Inner Mark is blushing. He looks at Jinyoung who was staring back at him with an unreadable expression on his face, so he tried to play it off with a small laugh. Hopefully Rice Cake would just assume he was just kidding. (Although as much as he really wanted to have kids with Jinyoung aside from Sprout *coughs*)

“So Sprout’s our child then?” Jinyoung asks after a short while still staring at Mark. “Since you know, we’re both his dads.”

Mark swallowed. Jinyoung was finally turning the pages on the chemistry book. Rice Cake did not seem to have minded what Mark said earlier, so he breathed out in relief. “Yeah he’s our kid.”

 

 

 

Stupid Jinyoung. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Jinyoung could tell his cheeks are bright pink right now as he pretended to be busy on his chemistry textbook. He tried to read what was written on the page, but could not process anything in his mind. Mark seemed to be back to studying once again, so he does not seemed bothered by what Jinyoung had said earlier. Ah, I better get back to studying once more instead of thinking about co-parenting Sprout with Mark or else I’ll really fail the chemistry exam.

 

He does not know what he was thinking. As much as he tries to push it out of his mind, he cannot deny that he was starting to feel a little differently for the guy sitting across from him. Mark Tuan, what are you doing to me? And he knows it was not right. He knew from the premiere night of the play that something was starting to bloom in his heart, but it seems that it has grown into something larger than Park Jinyoung has experienced before and it scares him. It frightens him till the tips of his fingers to the point that even Inner Jinyoungie was afraid to tell it to anyone, even to his best friend in the whole wide world, Choi Youngjae.

 

Because Jinyoung knows that once the words come out of his lips, everything would feel too real and he cannot have that given all the things that happened recently. Besides, Mark likes someone else. He reminded himself for the nth time already.

 

Mark looked up at him with a smile as Jinyoung was trying to secretly gaze at him over the pages of the book, catching him off guard once more.

 

How can I stop myself from feeling this way if you’re being like that?

 

 

 

 

 

“Tomorrow, we’re gonna do a mock test. See if you remember everything we studied tonight.”

Mark has a teasing smile on his face that Jinyoung just wanted to erase, but that does not stop the smile that formed on his lips. Mark was walking him down to the bus station after their little tutoring session.  Jinyoung had to turn him down a few times, because Mark had insisted that he drive him home since it was a bit late. But Jinyoung could not impose on his friend any longer. The Tuan family had more than been accommodating the past few days and Jinyoung did not want to bother them more than he did already

 

Besides, Jinyoung’s heart (and cheeks!) might not take it anymore if he was to stay in a closed space with Mark Tuan any longer. This is bad. Inner Jinyoungie is currently passed out, because a certain Mark Tuan had to smile a lot tonight. Inner Jinyoungie is a bit overheated.

 

“Hmph,” Jinyoung pouted thinking of the dreaded mock test tomorrow which he may or may not do just fine since he probably spent the seventy percent of the time trying not to get distracted by Mark’s serious gazes and rough voice.

 Oh THIS IS SO BAD PARK JINYOUNG! Once you arrive home, you will head straight to your room and restudy everything that Mark thought you tonight. He is a good friend of yours and you cannot be feeling this way, because Mark was just being a nice, cool, amazing, handsome, y... perfect... prince... What the...? FOCUS! YOUR MIND IS WONDERING OFF AGAIN! CONCENTRATE AND FOCUS ON THE RIGHT THINGS!

Besides...

Mark already likes someone else, okay?

Right. Don’t forget about that.

 

 

“Jinyoung?” Jinyoung hears Mark say, ultimately distracting him from his inner thoughts. “Are you okay? We’re already at the bus stop.”

“Oh,” Jinyoung said distractedly as he takes on his surroundings. “Right, sorry about that. I just got a bit distracted. It must be all the chemical formulas we were memorizing all night.” He tried to play it off with a little laughter.

“Okay,” Mark’s eyebrows furrowed as if he was not certain that what Jinyoung told him was correct. “Uh, are you sure you don’t want me driving you home, Jinyoungie? I mean, it is a bit late and you must be tired. We can just go back home. I’m sure my dad will be perfectly alright with it.”

“No, it’s fine.” Jinyoung says with his hands held up, his cheeks turning rosy pink “I’m... Thank you so much, Mark, but I assure you I’ll be fine. You’ve been to our house. The stop’s just a couple of blocks away. You and your parents have been so nice. I don’t know how to make it up to you anymore.”

“And like I always tell you,” Mark shook his head, smiling. “There’ no need. You’re always welcome anytime you want. And look, your bus is here!”

 

Jinyoung turned around where Mark was pointing at.  He does not want to go home just yet. Both his mind and heart want to talk with Mark more, to spend more time with him, but unfortunately he cannot. He wondered for a second since when had he started feeling this way. Being with Mark, for some odd reason, has always made Jinyoung feel light and happy – that he could finally breathe. He felt free when he was with him. Free.

 

I don’t want to go home. I want to stay with you a little longer. I want to be with you. Jinyoung wanted to say, but his heart was aching, because he could not let the words out. Instead with a small wave, he bid Mark good night and stepped on the bus. Mark gave him a short wave just as Jinyoung was able to find a seat by the window. It made him smile a little.

Mark always made sure that Jinyoung was sitting safely inside the bus and he will not leave until the bus does. Jinyoung would always watch him from his seat, turning his head until his neck started to ache and it will not be possible to see Mark any longer.

He watches as Mark fished out his phone from his pocket, press a few buttons and put it on his ear, looking up at the bus expectantly. Jinyoung could feel his heart skip a beat, because a few moments later, he hears his own phone beeping. Mark’s goofy face flashed on the screen and Jinyoung felt his heart dropped as his finger shakily answers the call.

 

“Let’s talk on your way home,” Mark says from the other line. He has the identical goofy smile on his face as he waves carelessly at Jinyoung. “I wanna be sure that you get back home safely and I won’t put this phone down until you’re at your doorstep.”

 Jinyoung felt a lump got stuck on his throat. The bus had started to move and he watched as Mark’s figure gets smaller and smaller by the second. He was not sure why he was all of a sudden getting emotional, but as if lightning bolt struck his heart right at that moment. He tried to open his mouth to say something in reply, but instead a drop of tear falls down on his cheek.

 

And all of a sudden, as if a final piece of a puzzle completes the whole picture...

 

(Inner Jinyoungie is biting on his pillows in anticipation. His little popcorn bucket thrown on the floor.)

 

“Ahjussi!” Jinyoung cried frantically. He quickly grabs his bag and stands on his feet. His phone held on his hand tightly, running to the bus driver and trying not to lose his balance. There were a few passengers already watching him in judgement. He has to get off the bus. He has to. “Ahjussi! I... I’m so sorry. I need to get off the bus! I need to! Please!”

Jinyoung thinks he hears the bus driver says something grumpily as he lets him off the vehicle, but he does not care anymore. He runs back frantically at the bus stop a few feet away where Mark was still there, his phone still on his ears with a worried expression on his face.

 

“Jinyoungie, are you alright?” Mark says anxiously as he meets Jinyoung midway. “Is everything alright? What’s going on?”

Jinyoung was a mess. He must be. His eyes were welling up with tears every second and he could not stop. He tried wiping of his face with his sleeves, but it was no use. A fresh batch of tears comes out when he does anyway.

“I...” I like you. Jinyoung wanted to say, but he had to stop himself since he was about to cry once again. Why is this so hard? “I... I... I forgot to say good night to you.” He says through his tears. I like you. I like you so much. I like you a lot, Mark Tuan.

He wanted to say those words so bad.

But you like someone else.

And it hurts that I cannot say those words to you and get my heart broken again, but I like you too much that I feel like my heart is bursting right now. I wanted to be with you. I want you to look at only me and be your favorite person in the whole world. And now I’m getting jealous and mad at myself because I’m so selfish when it comes to you, Mark.

I really like you so much.

And I’m so sorry I didn’t come earlier.

 

Jinyoung was still sobbing so much, when he felt Mark’s hand patting his head softly. “You’re such a crybaby.” Mark chuckled quietly as he pulls Jinyoung in his arms. He immediately clutched the back of Mark’s shirt in his small fists while he cried pathetically. “You could have told me good night over the phone. It’s not something to cry about. I’ll still hear your sweet voice greeting me, won’t it? And now you have to wait for another bus. Ah, I didn’t know Jinyoungie’s such a baby.” Mark’s hand felt so comforting as he Jinyoung’s hair.

That’s not what I’m crying about. If only I can tell you. But I don’t want you to hate me. Jinyoung only shook his head as he buried his nose onto Mark’s shoulder. He was too embarrassed showing his face covered in mixture of tears and snot. He hopes Mark would not mind. Ah, why am I such a crybaby? Why was I too worked up on this? But Mark only tightened his hold of him and Jinyoung hopes he does not ever let go.

“I’ll ask my dad if we can drive you home, alright?” Mark says to him softly. “And no buts this time. It’s already getting late. We can’t let you go home by yourself if you want to wait for another bus.”

Jinyoung could only nod quietly.

I don’t know how I can stop myself from falling from you any longer. I give up.

 

 

 

 

 

“What’s... going on?” Jackson says when they went were heading back to their classroom after PE class. “Did you and Jinyoung fight?”

Mark shrugged. To be honest, he did not quite understand as well. They were still in good terms last night when Mark and his dad dropped him back to his house, but apparently this morning, Jinyoung had been avoiding him all over the place. He did not even eat lunch at the cafeteria earlier, opting to stay at the library instead. Mark thought he was just imagining things, but Jinyoung refused to speak with him the whole time. He even fled he locker rooms earlier when Mark tried to corner him.

“I seriously don’t know.” Mark says quietly. It was too bad there was no theater club meeting today. And Jinyoung does not reply to his texts as well.

 

I don’t understand what’s happening. Are you okay, Jinyoung? Did I do something wrong? We can talk about it.

 

Mark sadly puts his phone back in his pocket.

 

 

 

 

 

“We need to talk.”

It was what Jinyoung was afraid of. As soon as he smelled Youngjae’s cologne, he knows he was busted. He knew Youngjae would eventually find him in the library. He was hanging in here for the past few days to avoid the lunch table. There was nothing that could escape his best friend’s eagle eye. Youngjae had told him multiple times before already. He has the sixth sense and now is the best moment for Jinyoung to believe him.

“Hey, what’s up?” Jinyoung says using the most cheerful and casual tone he can muster up. However, there was a perfect reason why Jinyoung was a playwright of the theater club instead of the actor, because judging as how Youngjae narrowed his eyes more was a clear sign that his best friend is not buying any of it. “Ah, alright you got me. I’m sorry.”

“What are you saying sorry for?” Youngjae says as he puts his hands on his waist or commonly known as the Mother-Hen-Youngjae move. “It’s not me you should say sorry to. You did not do anything wrong to me, Park Jinyoung. Why are you avoiding, Mark Tuan?” He takes a seat beside Jinyoung’s and Jinyoung can tell that his best friend is trying his best not to lose it since they are inside the library.

“I... I’m not.” Jinyoung denied quietly, avoiding his best friend’s eyes. “I just... I’m not avoiding Mark, Youngjae.”

“And who do you think you’re kidding, Park Jinyoung?” Youngjae shook his head at him. “I don’t think you, yourself, is not even convinced on what you told me.”

Jinyoung bit his lip guiltily. He did not mean to disappear like that and seem as if he was dismissive of Mark. No. In fact, it was the exact office. He misses Mark so much that it was keeping him up all night for the past few days. However, at the same time, he knew it was wrong since he was only setting himself for another heart break, because Mark is already looking at someone else. Perhaps someone who is light years away from Park Jinyoung in every level.

Mark is perfect. He was possibly the nicest guy in the world who basically has everything and even if he was like that, he was still humble. He was like a prince. Park Jinyoung is just a pauper.

 

A simple little pauper who fell in love with a prince.

 

It will be better for them if Jinyoung tried to get his feelings settled first, before facing Mark once again. He cannot have a break down like the last time.

 

But the more Jinyoung longed for Mark, the more he falls for him.

 

“Let me guess,” Youngjae started with a sigh after Jinyoung did not answer him. “I think I know what’s going on. You like Mark, don’t you?”

“I... Uh,” Jinyoung stuttered as he felt his cheeks heating up. “Well, that i-is. I... How did you know?”

“Are you kidding me?” Youngjae’s eyes widened in disbelief. “Park Jinyoung, we’ve known each other since before we can say each other’s names properly. Don’t underestimate me. I think I’ve figured out you like him even before waaaaaay you figured it out.”

“What?” If it was possible, Jinyoung felt his cheeks getting even warmer at his best friend’s statement. “You did?”

“Yeah,” Youngjae just shrugged. “I think even before you were ‘pining’ over Han Jaesung, I know Mark’s already stealing your attention. Han Jaesung became your safe answer over the years, Jinyoung-ah. But now, you’ve found a decent guy to really fall for, why are you hiding from him all of a sudden? I just don’t get it.”

Jinyoung sighed sadly. “Youngjae, he likes someone else. I just... I can’t face him right now without feeling jealous that it can’t be me. It’s just too selfish of me to feel this way.”

“Who likes someone else?” Youngjae looked at him in confusion.

“Mark?” Jinyoung answered, reflecting his best friend’s expression.

“Mark who?” Youngjae repeated.

“Tuan. Mark Tuan.” Jinyoung says looking as if his best friend lost his mind. Surely they are only talking about one Mark Tuan, wasn’t it?

It was the first time Jinyoung had seen that expression on Youngjae’s face. His best friend has his eye closed, doing a long drawn sigh as if he was trying so hard to not lose his cool.

“PARK. JIN. YOUNG.”

“What?” Jinyoung blinked at him innocently.

“It’s a good thing that you’re my best friend and I love you,” Youngjae was trying his hardest not to lose his patience. “But are you seriously telling me that the reason you’re being dramatic and difficult like this is because you think Mark Tuan likes someone else? Someone. Else. S-O-M-E-O-N-E E-L-S-E?”

“Uhh, I guess.” Jinyoung says in confusion. “He confirmed it himself. He told me that when we got locked at the rooftop, remember?”

“I would seriously need a blood pressure medication after this.” Youngjae muttered to himself. His hand covering his face as if in disappointment. “Mark Tuan is actually a saint to put up with this, who would have thought?”

“What are you talking about?” Jinyoung asked, now more confused than ever.

“Jinyoung,” Youngjae looked at him dead in the eye. “Jinyoung, can’t you see? I know you’re my little fluffy ball of cuteness, but are you really the densest person on earth?”

“Huh?”

“Jinyoung, you’re that person. Mark likes you. For the longest time.”

 

 

 

 

 

It felt eerily weird to be back at the auditorium especially now that they are on hiatus due to the exam season. The walls seemed to scream at Mark silently while he seats on the edge of the stage, his feet dangling playfully over the floor. Memories of the night he performed on the play flashes on his mind. Most of all the beautiful smile of the person he loves sitting alone on the same spot, invaded his thoughts once more.

 

He heard his phone buzzed. It was a message from Jackson. My Youngjae says they’ll be there soon. Make yourself decent. Break a leg!

 

And true enough, a few moments later Mark hears a few noises and scuffling at the hall’s entrance. He sees an arm (most probably Youngjae’s) pushing Jinyoung inside. Mark watches in awe as Jinyoung shyly made his way down the steps. He has a small, shy smile on his face and his cheeks are glowing. Mark suddenly remembered the first time he sees Jinyoung in this same hall during freshman orientation. And as if it was in slow motion, Mark feels like he was falling in love once again.

 

Jinyoung took a seat beside him. They were quiet for quite some time. Mark on his part was thinking of the right words to say.

 

“See that chair?” Mark says, pointing to an empty seat to their right. “Fourth row, seventh seat from the right. I was sitting there first day of freshman year. That was where I first saw you and I told to myself, one day, I’m gonna marry you.”

“Yes.” Jinyoung says quietly as Mark turns to him. There was a small smile playing on Rice Cake’s face that Mark could not help reciprocating immediately.

“I haven’t asked the question yet, Jinyoungie.” Mark says cheekily, but Jinyoung’s smile only got bigger.

“My answer’s still yes. Yes, I like you too. Yes, I want to be with you. Yes, I want us to go on dates. Yes, I want you to tell me how you fell for me. Yes, I want you to listen how I fell for you. Yes I want us to study at each other’s houses even stupid chemistry. Yes, I want us to hang out during theater club meetings and after with the Musketeers. Yes, Youngjae told me about you and the Musketeers chatroom. Yes, I want you to bother me during practice even if I tell you to stop it, but we’ll still secretly kiss backstage. Yes, I want to spend lazy Sundays with you. Yes, I already agreed to double date with Youngjae and Jackson. Yes, I want us to argue and fight from the biggest to the littlest things. Yes, I want to take care of you. Yes, I will always get jealous of other guys or girls who touches you. Yes. I want to cook you bento to school and hang out at the rooftop. Yes, I want to chat with you the whole night and video call. Yes, I want us to study and do homework together. Yes, I want to study hard with you and go to a decent university. Yes, please don’t get freaked out, but I’m already thinking of us graduating and getting a decent job because yes, I want to have a good future with you. Yes, I am thinking about that right now. Yes, I am freaking out because you might think I am being too much. Yes, we can walk about this later. Yes, I know I have to calm down, but my feelings are a bit in an overdrive right now. Yes, I want to co-parent Sprout. Yes, I want to have other kids too. Yes, I want to eventually, uhh, do, uhh, adult things with you, but only when we’re ready! Yes, I will say yes to you. Yes, I want to get married to you too. Yes, I am melting on the spot. Yes, you are so embarrassing, and cheesy and so incredibly perfect, Mark Tuan. Yes, you really need to explain why a Prince like you fell for a pauper like me. Yes, I am babbling now, and I need to stop. Yes. Again, I will marry you one day, Mark Tuan. Yes. I think I’m done. Oh! I forgot! Yes. I want to kiss you right now.”

Jinyoung was out of breath and his cheeks and ears are both in the bright shade of red. Mark could not help but reach out and touch Jinyoung’s warm cheek, which the latter automatically leaned on. He feels his heart beating so fast, but this time because of unbelievable, irrational happiness, the kind that makes you want to sing an opera even if he does not know how to.

“Spoiler.” Mark says with a soft chuckle, pinching Jinyoung’s cheek. “Come here.” He pulls Jinyoung in for a kiss.

 

He feels Jinyoung molds himself perfectly underneath his touch, his arms looping around Mark’s shoulder as Mark settled on his sides. Mark wondered for a bit if it was okay for them to kiss so eagerly like this. But then again, he pushes the thoughts away since he knew both of them are beginners and it was just one of the many, many things that the two of them will now learn together as a couple.

 

Couple, huh? Mark likes the sound of that.

 

Somewhere, inside their deepest thoughts, Inner Mark and Inner Jinyoungie are kissing too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Epilogue:

 

#1 So... Why did Jinyoung remove that scene from the play?

 

“Ewww,” Bambam says right away when he and the other guys arrived at the lunch table. “I know I approve of your love, hyungs. But do you really have to eat the tater tot from Mark-hyung’s mouth every single time, Jinyoung-hyung?”

“I know,” Yugyeom chimed in, staring at Mark and Jinyoung who both unfazed, still continued eating the tater tots from each other’s lips. “I mean it’s cute if you do it once in a while, but every piece? We only have one hour of lunch, hyungs.”

“Ugh, too much fluff!” Youngjae says with an adoring smile at his best friend and his boyfriend.

“Shut up, Youngjae-hyung,” Bambam rolled his eyes. “You and Jackson-hyung are even more embarrassing to be honest.”

“Hey, hey,” Jackson says in his defense. “It’s not our fault that Youngjae is into wild and y kind of stuff. Ow!” Jackson was hit in the arm courtesy of Youngjae.

“I have a question though,” Jaebum raised his hand in curiosity. “I don’t know if this was answered already, but I want to know since Mark and the whole theater club at least. Why did Jinyoung removed that one scene from the play?”

Mark, who was about just about to eat a tater tot from Jinyoung’s mouth, pulled back. “Oh, I was curious about that! Yeah!”

Jinyoung was blushing and Mark knew immediately he has been caught. “A-ah, about that... I actually don’t k-know why that time...”

“Jinyoung’s jealous you’re hugging someone else, Mark” Youngjae said rolling his eyes and shaking his head (‘Youngjae-ah!’ Jinyoung yelled). “What? It’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? And we all know how possessive you are with Mark. I mean, OFF. LIMITS. Yeah, we know, Jinyoungie. You can’t have Mark as lead actor on your plays again if you’re like that.”

“Well, I can write plays that doesn’t have romance.” Jinyoung sulked under his breath. “I just... It wasn’t necessary for the storyline anyway! And the hug gets clingier and clingier every practice. Hmph.”

“You’re too cute.” Mark whispered in his ear in his deep voice, making Jinyoung blush once again. “Don’t worry. I won’t audition for a character that has a skinship scene. Or maybe I will, I like seeing you flustered like that.” Mark chuckled as Jinyoung lightly punched his boyfriend’s chest with his small fists.

 

 

 

 

 

#2 Revenge, you know revenge?

 

“Oh my God, have you seen the car?”

“I know. Did anyone know who did it?”

“No one does. There are rumors here and there, but you never know. The dashboard cam wasn’t able to record anything.”

“Han Jaesung’s in trouble now. He told his parents he’s going to a study group instead of a party, so he can’t go to the police to investigate what happened and they might find out there’s an underage party going on if they did an investigation.”

“I saw his parents earlier today. Han Jaesung doesn’t look happy. It seems like the school board can’t protect him now. I do feel a bit sorry for him, but for what he does to everyone, someone will come after him eventually.”

“Well, the school can’t do anything and punish someone who vandalized his car with spray paint and slashed tires if they don’t know who did it. Who knows it could be someone from another school?”

“Yeah.”

 

 

 

Mark turned to Jinyoung, who was looking at him right back with a confused. They were just about to head to the first meeting of the theater club, when pictures of Han Jaesung’s vandalized car was spread on the school’s bulletin board. Mark automatically tightened his hold on Jinyoung’s hand, who squeezes it in return.

“Do you think the guys...?” Jinyoung bit his lips uncertainly.

“I don’t know...” Mark shrugged in return. “They did promise they won’t do anything, right?” Jinyoung nodded in conviction.

“Hey, hyungs, what’s up?!” Yugyeom’s voice almost made the two of them jump.

“Whoa, what the hell...” Bambam pushed his way forward to take a look at the photos. “This is seriously... Is that Jaesung-hyung’s car?”

“Looks like it is!” Yugyeom confirmed. “Poor guy. Oh well, I’d feel more sorry to him, but we’ll be more in trouble if we arrive at the theater club meeting late! Come on, hyungs!”

Mark and Jinyoung shared a look. They smiled in relief finally being able to breathe.

 

Although they both did not notice the paint stains on Yugyeom and Bambam’s nails they had been trying to get rid of the whole weekend.

 

Jaebum, Jackson and Youngjae have been successful removing theirs.

 

 

 

#3 Forever Yours

 

Jinyoung could not help the whimper coming out of his throat as Mark pushes him onto his mattress gently with his kisses. That was what he loves the most about Mark, no matter what happened, he always treated Jinyoung like he was the most precious person in the world. And it makes his heart warm every single time, even if things are starting to heat up.

“Wait, time out,” Mark says out of breath and pulls back with a soft suction of Jinyoung’s bottom lip. “Time out, damn.” He proceeds to roll off of Jinyoung and sat on the bed, his chest heaving while he leans back on the headboard.

“What’s wrong?” Jinyoung sat up worriedly, thinking he might have done something to turn Mark off. “Is everything alright?”

Mark turned to him, his face flushed. Jinyoung finally was able to take his boyfriend’s appearance. His hair was disheveled, probably courtesy of Jinyoung’s fingers. His uniform was ed here and there. Jinyoung’s shirt meanwhile was discarded a long time ago and is now lying comfortably on Mark’s bedroom floor.

They were supposed to memorize and practice Mark’s script (no skinship as promised!), but unfortunately there was no one at home that time and well... one thing led to the other. (Especially when he kept on hearing Mark’s y voice reading the words Jinyoung had written)

 

“Come here,” Mark might have noticed Jinyoung’s worried stare at him and pulled his boyfriend to sit on his lap, feeling his warm touch against his bare skin. “I’m sorry. You’re just too... y. I had to stop myself. At the rate we’re going, if I didn’t I might not have been able to. And we promised we won’t do anything until both of us are ready, right?”

Jinyoung’s heart warmed up immediately, giving Mark a long, lingering peck on his lips. “We did. Thank you so much. And right back at you, Mr. Tuan. You’re too y for my own good.”

“Ah,” Mark whined as he nuzzled Jinyoung’s neck. He proceeded to trace the tips of his finger on Jinyoung’s spine, “, please don’t start. I’m still a bit excited over here.”

“Sorry,” Jinyoung says smiling as he wrapped his arms around his boyfriend. “Should we continue with the script or...?”

“Let’s stay here a bit longer.” Mark pulls back and staring in to his beautiful Jinyoung’s eyes, leaning in to quietly whisper as if they were the only two people in the world.

 

“I love you, Rice Cake. Forever.”

“I love you too, my Prince. Forever.”

 


 

Hi!

Please Please Please~

I'm so sorry. Forgive me if i'm only able to post now. There had been a lot of things that went on the past month (both good and bad) but WTH! To hell with those. I'm just glad that I was able to see you guys again!

I hope you had a fun time reading and please forgive the spelling/grammar errors. I will beta tomorrow because I have work early and... I JUST WANNA POST THIS ASAP.

Thank you for reading this and I love you guys!

See you soon and have a nice day! #YOUARE

Next Stop: Most Definitely, You